JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200916 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2017Oct 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
44308_1279480467.gif
Mugwump mocking mental illness for a second time - "You are mentally ill and I can't indulge your madness any more" Utter disgusting abusive remark from a keyboard warrior:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_44308.gif

Quote: Mugwump "We're entering business end of the season. We can't afford to be dropping players just because we don't like them.

A coach's JOB is to get the best out of his resources.'"

Do you think KC dropped him because he doesn't like him or performance based?

His job is to win games and pick a team that will win. He's dropped JT and Amor this year. Does that mean he doesn't like them?

RankPostsTeam
Administrator25122No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2017May 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
7.gif
:7.gif

Quote: St pete "Do you think KC dropped him because he doesn't like him or performance based?

His job is to win games and pick a team that will win. He's dropped JT and Amor this year. Does that mean he doesn't like them?'"

I've no issues with Mose or Turner. Sure, their performances can fluctuate (like any player). But not to such an extent that I would have dropped either.

It strikes me that Mose has been poorly used. As has been pointed out by others - very often he is deliberately employed as a foil (which is always likely to impact on his number of carries). Also I would have started him far more often - especially against some of the bigger packs in the league.

Turner's defensive issues are in part a product of our defensive pattern. I predicted that Jones (or whomever) would find himself in similar strife and sure enough he was caught in no-man's land against Leeds.

On the other hand Amor's performances throughout the season have been considerably down on the previous year. Why this is so and whether he deserves to be dropped - I'm not sure.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach16963No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200916 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2017Oct 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
44308_1279480467.gif
Mugwump mocking mental illness for a second time - "You are mentally ill and I can't indulge your madness any more" Utter disgusting abusive remark from a keyboard warrior:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_44308.gif

Quote: Mugwump "I've no issues with Mose or Turner. Sure, their performances can fluctuate (like any player). But not to such an extent that I would have dropped either.

It strikes me that Mose has been poorly used. As has been pointed out by others - very often he is deliberately employed as a foil (which is always likely to impact on his number of carries). Also I would have started him far more often - especially against some of the bigger packs in the league.

Turner's defensive issues are in part a product of our defensive pattern. I predicted that Jones (or whomever) would find himself in similar strife and sure enough he was caught in no-man's land against Leeds.

On the other hand Amor's performances throughout the season have been considerably down on the previous year. Why this is so and whether he deserves to be dropped - I'm not sure.'"

I don't think Kc has used Amor correctly. Kyle is a long mins prop, he likes to do the work and of left on longer will rack up meters and tackles. It's rare this year he will bust a tackle but he needs to be on longer. I don't think two 15 min spells is the way to use him.

I thought the front row with Amor, robes, sav, alex and richards was the best we have played as a middle unit for long long time. All was industrious in the way they went about the job. If we can get Vea back in that pack and the middles play that way every week from now on then I can see us being there or there abouts.

So for me, Id leave mose out and stick with the same lads this week

RankPostsTeam
Administrator25122No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2017May 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
7.gif

I don't think our forwards are a problem - in any configuration.

Our problem - for most of this season - has been a misfiring (or non-functioning) half-back partnership. This has been further exacerbated by not having a genuine loose-forward who can function as an additional link.

In game after game we have been almost totally unable to get our backs into the fight. All the workload is being thrown back onto our forwards. These are big lads. They can't afford to be doing any more work than they already are because they tire quicker.

The crazy thing is - it's not as though our backs don't have any room to work in. We've made a truckload of yards all season. The fact that our centres, wings and full-back haven't capitalised on the foundations built by our pack really is a damning indictment of our halves.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach485No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200916 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2018Apr 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
41988.jpg
:41988.jpg

Quote: Mugwump "I've no issues with Mose or Turner. Sure, their performances can fluctuate (like any player). But not to such an extent that I would have dropped either.

On the other hand Amor's performances throughout the season have been considerably down on the previous year. Why this is so and whether he deserves to be dropped - I'm not sure.'"

Out of the 26 matches Masoe has played this year, in 22 he has made 10 or less carries. The best way to judge a player is look at how he performs against the good teams. In his 4 matches against Wigan and Leeds, he's averaging 11 tackles and 47m per match. He's not been poorly used, he's just been poor.

Which defensive pattern of ours is it that means our centre has to make the wrong decision and shoot in unnecessarily? Jones did so when defending a three on three and created a gap for Keinhorst. He made the wrong decision, this wasn't anything to do with defensive structure. It's just Jones makes the wrong decision a lot less often than Turner does.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach16963No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200916 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2017Oct 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
44308_1279480467.gif

Quote: Mugwump "I don't think our forwards are a problem - in any configuration.

Our problem - for most of this season - has been a misfiring (or non-functioning) half-back partnership. This has been further exacerbated by not having a genuine loose-forward who can function as an additional link.

In game after game we have been almost totally unable to get our backs into the fight. All the workload is being thrown back onto our forwards. These are big lads. They can't afford to be doing any more work than they already are because they tire quicker.

The crazy thing is - it's not as though our backs don't have any room to work in. We've made a truckload of yards all season. The fact that our centres, wings and full-back haven't capitalised on the foundations built by our pack really is a damning indictment of our halves.'"

The last 2 month or so we have had trouble getting out of our own half. I agree the halves have been awful but the pack has also struggled.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach16963No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200916 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2017Oct 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
44308_1279480467.gif

Quote: Saint #1 "Out of the 26 matches Masoe has played this year, in 22 he has made 10 or less carries. The best way to judge a player is look at how he performs against the good teams. In his 4 matches against Wigan and Leeds, he's averaging 11 tackles and 47m per match. He's not been poorly used, he's just been poor.

Which defensive pattern of ours is it that means our centre has to make the wrong decision and shoot in unnecessarily? Jones did so when defending a three on three and created a gap for Keinhorst. He made the wrong decision, this wasn't anything to do with defensive structure. It's just Jones makes the wrong decision a lot less often than Turner does.'"

Totally agree and im shocked at some of the excuses that's been made for mose by some fans. If he's wasn't the happy go lucky smiling samoan then people would be calling for his blood.

My favourite is that mose won us the grand final for that one shot in first min! He lasted 8 mins in that grand final and sure he made one carry in that spell.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach781No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2022Apr 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
16900.gif
:16900.gif

Quote: St pete "Totally agree and im shocked at some of the excuses that's been made for mose by some fans. If he's wasn't the happy go lucky smiling samoan then people would be calling for his blood.

My favourite is that mose won us the grand final for that one shot in first min! He lasted 8 mins in that grand final and sure he made one carry in that spell.'"

who said he won us the grand final with that shot in the first minute? If you can remember back to last year, just before he went off after 8 minutes it was Mose who chased back down the left hand side and made the last ditch tackle on what would have been most likely a Wigan try. He also did a similar chase back against Wigan at our place this year again stopping a certain try, for such a big bloke to do this is a phenomenal effort in my book and again it was in the big games when he stepped up to the plate.

After watching him for Samoa against New Zealand in the world cup at Warrington I believed we had signed a gem of a player but if he could perform at that level week in & week out then no way would the NRL have let him come over here so all in all deep down I new he would have his flaws and have been satisfied with his contribution whist over here and enjoyed his stint in a Saints shirt. He has certainly been an improvement on the last big name import we last had although that wasn't hard to achieve.

RankPostsTeam
Administrator25122No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2017May 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
7.gif

Quote: St pete "The last 2 month or so we have had trouble getting out of our own half. I agree the halves have been awful but the pack has also struggled.'"

Since when did ANY forward pack - no matter how good - dominate EVERY game throughout a season?

Packs - like players experience highs and lows. Being off its game for a few weeks is not unusual in a long season. Huddersfield looked like bottom-of-the-league material at the beginning of the year.

But not being able to effectively engage the back division for most of the campaign is suggestive of something far more serious than form.

RankPostsTeam
Administrator25122No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2017May 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
7.gif

Quote: Saint #1 "Out of the 26 matches Masoe has played this year, in 22 he has made 10 or less carries. The best way to judge a player is look at how he performs against the good teams. In his 4 matches against Wigan and Leeds, he's averaging 11 tackles and 47m per match. He's not been poorly used, he's just been poor.

Which defensive pattern of ours is it that means our centre has to make the wrong decision and shoot in unnecessarily? Jones did so when defending a three on three and created a gap for Keinhorst. He made the wrong decision, this wasn't anything to do with defensive structure. It's just Jones makes the wrong decision a lot less often than Turner does.'"

Jones was in precisely the same situation as Turner because Saints are always defending narrow close to or near the line. We get away with it on Percy's side only because Percy is an unusually good defender who also happens to have arguably the best crash-tackle technique in the competition. But you can't expect everyone - whether it be Turner or Jones - to defend as well as Percy. He's a natural.

Why we cram so many guys into the centre of the field leaving both centres with the devil's own choice should someone clear the ruck and first receiver quickly is a question which only Keiron Cunningham can answer.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach16963No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200916 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2017Oct 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
44308_1279480467.gif

Quote: Mugwump "Since when did ANY forward pack - no matter how good - dominate EVERY game throughout a season?

Packs - like players experience highs and lows. Being off its game for a few weeks is not unusual in a long season. Huddersfield looked like bottom-of-the-league material at the beginning of the year.

But not being able to effectively engage the back division for most of the campaign is suggestive of something far more serious than form.'"

That's why I said over the past 2 month or so. I never said a pack should dominate every single week.

The last 8 or so games we have struggled to make meters apart from alex and was merely pointing out that last Friday we seemed to be more of a unit and share the work out more.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach485No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200916 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2018Apr 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
41988.jpg
:41988.jpg

Quote: Mugwump "Jones was in precisely the same situation as Turner because Saints are always defending narrow close to or near the line. We get away with it on Percy's side only because Percy is an unusually good defender who also happens to have arguably the best crash-tackle technique in the competition. But you can't expect everyone - whether it be Turner or Jones - to defend as well as Percy. He's a natural.

Why we cram so many guys into the centre of the field leaving both centres with the devil's own choice should someone clear the ruck and first receiver quickly is a question which only Keiron Cunningham can answer.'"

You mean to tell me Jones shot in on a 3 vs 3 because we were tight around the ruck? Every team defends narrow nowadays, how many teams don't use a sliding defence? Problem being that slide doesn't work if you've got centres and wingers doing their own thing and shooting in unnecessarily.

RankPostsTeam
Administrator25122No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2017May 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
7.gif

Quote: Saint #1 "You mean to tell me Jones shot in on a 3 vs 3 because we were tight around the ruck? Every team defends narrow nowadays, how many teams don't use a sliding defence? Problem being that slide doesn't work if you've got centres and wingers doing their own thing and shooting in unnecessarily.'"

I haven't seen a single side in SL which encourages its centres to blaze out of the line and crash tackle as often as we do.

To be fair to Cunningham, it began to creep in more under Brown. But Brown aint here now.

My guess is the coaches aren't confident in the one-on-one defence of some of our bigger guys - especially against smaller, nippier halves and hookers. It's the only reason I can come up with.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach899No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200520 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2019Feb 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: curly990 "who said he won us the grand final with that shot in the first minute? If you can remember back to last year, just before he went off after 8 minutes it was Mose who chased back down the left hand side and made the last ditch tackle on what would have been most likely a Wigan try. He also did a similar chase back against Wigan at our place this year again stopping a certain try, for such a big bloke to do this is a phenomenal effort in my book and again it was in the big games when he stepped up to the plate.

After watching him for Samoa against New Zealand in the world cup at Warrington I believed we had signed a gem of a player but if he could perform at that level week in & week out then no way would the NRL have let him come over here so all in all deep down I new he would have his flaws and have been satisfied with his contribution whist over here and enjoyed his stint in a Saints shirt. He has certainly been an improvement on the last big name import we last had although that wasn't hard to achieve.'"

I wouldn't play Masoe again now. I'd tell him he can pack his bags and go home early. I'm baffled as to why posters on here defend him and make excuses for his lack of carries, blaming poor passes or whatever. It doesn't seem to limit Walmsley's impact if that was the case.

There's no reason why Masoe can't make a similar contribution to the team as Walmsley does. Walmsley's a big lad, like Masoe. Yet he doesn't shy away from the graft. He knuckles down and does a magnificent job. He appreciates how lucky he is to be at a club like Saints after learning his trade in Championship. So for me, it's an attitude thing. Mose is the Nani of Rugby League.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach781No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2022Apr 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
16900.gif
:16900.gif

Quote: Twentyman "I wouldn't play Masoe again now. I'd tell him he can pack his bags and go home early. I'm baffled as to why posters on here defend him and make excuses for his lack of carries, blaming poor passes or whatever. It doesn't seem to limit Walmsley's impact if that was the case.

There's no reason why Masoe can't make a similar contribution to the team as Walmsley does. Walmsley's a big lad, like Masoe. Yet he doesn't shy away from the graft. He knuckles down and does a magnificent job. He appreciates how lucky he is to be at a club like Saints after learning his trade in Championship. So for me, it's an attitude thing. Mose is the Nani of Rugby League.'"

IMO if we had 13 alex Walsley's in the side we would win the NRL but he is the exception not the rule. If you are looking at the pack IMO I am more disappointed with Amor than Mose and feel he has gone rapidly down hill since his first dozen games last year for whatever reasons. I feel he has lost size, strength & power.

35 posts in 3 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Billinge_Lump , Saint Simon , BackrowSaint
35 posts in 3 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Billinge_Lump , Saint Simon , BackrowSaint

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.72119140625:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
BORED The Band Name Game
Boss Hog
8m
Film game
Boss Hog
22m