FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

FORUMS > St. Helens > 2 out of 3 ain't bad.
68 posts in 6 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Billinge_Lump , Saint Simon , BackrowSaint
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach12189No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2017May 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
34133_1401485799.png
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_34133.png

Losing lomax was devestating but not the only reason we lost

RankPostsTeam
Administrator25122No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2017May 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
7.gif
:7.gif

Quote: Webbo "I don't particularly rate any of those three - but were there opposite numbers any better?

Richards was only half-fit (and isn't exactly an electric winger fully fit)
Charnely's a decent player and (through a dearth of quality British three-quarters) isn't far from the England team. But he aint world class.
Goulding's just a bog-standard SL centre
Carmont has had flashes of class, but is past it

What makes them effective is the gameplay deployed by wi*an. Their dummy runners, pace of attack, angles and chiming into the line are better than ours (which have admittedly improved since Royce went, but still lack variety and guile)'"

The halves don't physically force Wigan's backs to run those angles. They have to possess the aptitude in the first place to work as part of a cohesive attacking unit marshalled by the playmakers. The big difference is they do it at pace. Raw pace and pace between the ears. We are sadly lacking in both departments.

RankPostsTeam
Administrator25122No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2017May 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
7.gif

Quote: Webbo "He aint Andy Greegory, but brings his own skillset to the game. Much as you don't rate him, he does possess some ability to send a top pass out (as well as having a eye for a gap and off-the-mark pace to set up an attack)'"

I DO rate Lomax. I just don't rate him as a/the playmaker. There's a difference.

RankPostsTeam
Administrator25122No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2017May 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
7.gif

Quote: The Chair Maker "He would have straightened up their line and made them have to second guess what was going to happen. Just look how Leeds and Wire struggled to handle him.'"

I notice you say he "would" have straightened up their line instead of he "did" straighten up their line when he was on. Which he didn't.

Saints presented no greater attacking threat prior to Lomax's injury.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member3409No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2014Jul 2012LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
1378.jpg
Hello again:1378.jpg

Quote: Mugwump "The halves don't physically force Wigan's backs to run those angles. They have to possess the aptitude in the first place to work as part of a cohesive attacking unit marshalled by the playmakers. The big difference is they do it at pace. Raw pace and pace between the ears. We are sadly lacking in both departments.'"

Running those angles is coached into them. Practising allows players to do this at pace.

I'll give you Tomkins being a cut above (now he is world class with ball in hand) and can read the game superbly, but the others are just a result of long-term coaching in that particular skill, along with the team playing that particular style

RankPostsTeam
Administrator25122No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2017May 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
7.gif

Quote: Webbo "Running those angles is coached into them. Practising allows players to do this at pace.

I'll give you Tomkins being a cut above (now he is world class with ball in hand) and can read the game superbly, but the others are just a result of long-term coaching in that particular skill, along with the team playing that particular style'"

You can't even begin to compare Wigan's performances in the backs (with more than one coach) with ours over the last five years.

They score tries from inside their own half. Our backs can't go forty metres without being dragged down.

Look at Gardner being burned off the field vs a part-time loose-forward in the Hull game.

In terms of attacking threat this is one of the worst sets of backs I've seen in years.

RankPostsTeam
International Star1871No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2017Mar 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
51474_1275316988.gif
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_51474.gif

Quote: Webbo "I don't particularly rate any of those three - but were there opposite numbers any better?

Richards was only half-fit (and isn't exactly an electric winger fully fit)
Charnely's a decent player and (through a dearth of quality British three-quarters) isn't far from the England team. But he aint world class.
Goulding's just a bog-standard SL centre
Carmont has had flashes of class, but is past it

What makes them effective is the gameplay deployed by wi*an. Their dummy runners, pace of attack, angles and chiming into the line are better than ours (which have admittedly improved since Royce went, but still lack variety and guile)'"

Take the blinkers off. This is nealy as laughable as the Saints fans that have been trying to tell us all week that Tomkins was the only one that can make a break and that Saints have all these line breakers compared to Wigan. Well out of our 'average' backs we have 5 players in the top 25 players in SL for clean breaks. Tomkins is way out in front, Goulding, who has been fantastic all season and far from bog standard is 11th, Richards and Charnley joint 14th and Finch joint 17th. 1-7 from Wigan outplayed their opposite numbers today and I certainly wouldnt swap any of Saints 1-7 for any of Wigans. Oh by the way Saints have none in the top 25 which says a lot about your backs.

RankPostsTeam
International Star1220
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2023Sep 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
52916_1378593744.jpg
A pint of sweat, saves a gallon of blood. - George S. Patton In war, resolution; in defeat, defiance; in victory, magnanimity. - Winston Churchill It is fatal to enter any war without the will to win it. - General Douglas MacArthur Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent. - Isaac Asimov:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_52916.jpg

Quote: Famous "Take the blinkers off. This is nealy as laughable as the Saints fans that have been trying to tell us all week that Tomkins was the only one that can make a break and that Saints have all these line breakers compared to Wigan. Well out of our 'average' backs we have 5 players in the top 25 players in SL for clean breaks. Tomkins is way out in front, Goulding, who has been fantastic all season and far from bog standard is 11th, Richards and Charnley joint 14th and Finch joint 17th. 1-7 from Wigan outplayed their opposite numbers today and I certainly wouldnt swap any of Saints 1-7 for any of Wigans. Oh by the way Saints have none in the top 25 which says a lot about your backs.'"

I'm pretty sure if you read the whole thread, you'll reallise that's what is being said. icon_rolleyes.gif

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2794No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2016Jun 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
13011.gif
[color=red:17c7k77w][size=200:17c7k77w][b:17c7k77w]I READ THE AUP BUT PREFERRED THE MOVIE[/b:17c7k77w][/size:17c7k77w][/color:17c7k77w]:13011.gif

In relation to the original thread title, if I'd been offered two wins from the next three games after the Bulls game, I'd have snatched your hand off. Add to this the style of rugby played in those two games, in relation to the dross that we've watched for 3+ seasons prior, and I'd certainly take it.

Wigan were better than us today. It happens. The way to respond is to go to their place and turn them over.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5844
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
icons39ad_files/4821-1859san_c-msnicons.jpg
Officially RLFAN's most Doe-eyed Happy Clapper. Big Steve wrote: The Internet has provided some wonderful creativity, opportunities and knowledge sharing but it has also given a worldwide forum for people you would leave a full pint behind in the pub to avoid having to listen to them. aboveusonlypie... If you don't bother to go to the game when you live in the locality then you are not really a fan and therefore your views are invalid. It's simple.:icons39ad_files/4821-1859san_c-msnicons.jpg

It was what struck me as i looked at the team lineups... If we could hold the forwards, we were better in the backs... That said, i thought you had the stronger looking pack and bench, on paper.

Good job we don't play on paper!!

RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2014Jul 2012LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
1378.jpg

Quote: Famous "Take the blinkers off. This is nealy as laughable as the Saints fans that have been trying to tell us all week that Tomkins was the only one that can make a break and that Saints have all these line breakers compared to Wigan. Well out of our 'average' backs we have 5 players in the top 25 players in SL for clean breaks. Tomkins is way out in front, Goulding, who has been fantastic all season and far from bog standard is 11th, Richards and Charnley joint 14th and Finch joint 17th. 1-7 from Wigan outplayed their opposite numbers today and I certainly wouldnt swap any of Saints 1-7 for any of Wigans. Oh by the way Saints have none in the top 25 which says a lot about your backs.'"

Blinkers? I was being pragmatic. If you think Richards IS "electric"; Charnley IS "world class"; Carmont ISN'T past his best; and Goulding IS better than the majority of SL centres, then by all means you be at peace with your beliefs.

Anyway, there are many reasons why a player can appear to make so many clean breaks - sometimes it's the quality of the individual and their ability to beat a player with skill & pace (Tomkins, for example), whilst other times it's the quality of the player(s) inside them (I'd like to see how many clean breaks Ade Gardener made with Lyon as his centre...).

wi*an play a game where their attack involves a lot of ball to the outside backs, with plenty of dummy-running and very good angles. This is always going to create breaks by the three-quarters. It doesn't mean those three-quarters are modern rugby superstars.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach187No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2012Apr 2012LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
simpsons/PDT4.gif
[b:3jszf5ok]I believe St Helens to be the incest capital of England.[/b:3jszf5ok]:simpsons/PDT4.gif

The best team won, get used to it.

RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2014Jul 2012LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
1378.jpg

Quote: carmont is king "The best team on the day won, get used to it.'"

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2794No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2016Jun 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
13011.gif
[color=red:17c7k77w][size=200:17c7k77w][b:17c7k77w]I READ THE AUP BUT PREFERRED THE MOVIE[/b:17c7k77w][/size:17c7k77w][/color:17c7k77w]:13011.gif

Quote: carmont is king "The best team won, get used to it.'"

What an enlightening post, particularly as this thread is full of people claiming that Saints were actually the best side.

Well done.

RankPostsTeam
Administrator25122No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2017May 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
7.gif

Quote: Webbo "Blinkers? I was being pragmatic. If you think Richards IS "electric"; Charnley IS "world class"; Carmont ISN'T past his best; and Goulding IS better than the majority of SL centres, then by all means you be at peace with your beliefs.

Anyway, there are many reasons why a player can appear to make so many clean breaks - sometimes it's the quality of the individual and their ability to beat a player with skill & pace (Tomkins, for example), whilst other times it's the quality of the player(s) inside them (I'd like to see how many clean breaks Ade Gardener made with Lyon as his centre...).

wi*an play a game where their attack involves a lot of ball to the outside backs, with plenty of dummy-running and very good angles. This is always going to create breaks by the three-quarters. It doesn't mean those three-quarters are modern rugby superstars.'"

Come off it. The way you paint this comparison anyone might think we haven't moved the ball toward the backs in years. This is patently absurd. Irrespective of whether you think Saints have played conservatively over the last two or three seasons the fact remains there have been plenty of occasions when we have opened up - runners, angles and all. And yet time after time we have found it enormously difficult to score tries from outside the 40m mark. So much so I almost fell off my chair when Meli scored that 70 yarder the other week.

Wigan, on the other hand, seem to score long-distance tries with great regularity. Yes, many of them are down to clever tactics, good distribution etc. But many others are purely down to pace, acceleration, elusiveness and guile. Words which are rarely used in the company of Meli, Gardner, Shenton & Wellens.

Is this a "world beating" Wigan back line? Aside from Tomkins - no. But then it doesn't need to be in order to beat ours.

68 posts in 6 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
68 posts in 6 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.78955078125:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Round 16 London Home
Ex-Swarcliff
3m
TV games not Wire
karetaker
21m