JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2016Oct 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
45658_1356296105.jpg
[color=#FF0000:1fnfdzuc]Wigan vs Leeds finals aggregate score. Wigan 178 - 64 Leeds Wigan wins - 6 Leeds wins - 0[/color:1fnfdzuc] I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass, and I am all out of bubblegum. Don't you struggle. Don't you fight. Don't you worry, cause it's your turn tonight! Esse quam videri.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_45658.jpg

Quote: Mugwump "Well, let's test your theory. Out of St. Helens and Wigan which club - over the entirety of SL - has produced more SL quality players. I'd say Wigan. I'd even stretch to a tie. But nothing more.

Number of Wigan titles
It's a huge part but not the only part of creating a title winning side IMO. It was the other parts of the jigsaw that Wigan lacked that probably cost us a title or two. The constant chopping and changing of coach and in turn poor culture at the club was more than detrimental to our chances.

Your almost suggesting that Saints could still challenge for honors next year if the likes of Lomax, Gaskel and Makinson hadn't come through your academy. Something I severely doubt. As I would Wigan's chances if we took the likes of Sam, Joel, Charnley and Mossop out of the Wigan side.

Bradford are on the slide in part because of their distinctly average youngsters coming through, coupled with a few other things of course. Saints like Bradford have lost a lot of their best and most experienced players of late, but because of your far superior academy you've been able to overcome their departures.

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman27757No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2021May 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
34_1430670222.jpg
[url=http://wp.me/p1ImSi-n8:8gr6akfh][b:8gr6akfh]An Ode to Sepp Blatter[/b:8gr6akfh][/url:8gr6akfh] [url=http://wp.me/s1ImSi-dadbod:8gr6akfh][b:8gr6akfh]Dadbod[/b:8gr6akfh][/url:8gr6akfh] [url=http://wp.me/p1ImSi-mK:8gr6akfh][b:8gr6akfh]Next In Line To The Throne[/b:8gr6akfh][/url:8gr6akfh] [url=https://mcclennan.wordpress.com/2014/10/12/st-helens-and-a-fitting-end-to-a-season-of-unsung-heroes/:8gr6akfh][b:8gr6akfh]St Helens and a Fitting End to a Season of Unsung Heroes[/b:8gr6akfh][/url:8gr6akfh] [url=https://twitter.com/cinematicsoul:8gr6akfh][b:8gr6akfh]Follow my wisdom on Twitter[/b:8gr6akfh][/url:8gr6akfh] [url=http://wp.me/p1ImSi-aA:8gr6akfh][b:8gr6akfh]Top 100 films of the 00s - The Top 5[/b:8gr6akfh][/url:8gr6akfh]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_34.jpg

Quote: Mugwump "I'm not saying Wigan are producing world beaters - but they have consistently churned out solid, grafting props which are the platform for any side with title-winning aspirations. '"

Really? Props coming through their academy? I'm struggling to think of many as most of their props have come from others clubs e.g. Platt (which was over twenty years ago anyway), Cowie, O'Connor. There may have been plenty coming through during the history days but that production line has dried up and not just there but everywhere.

Quote: Mugwump "Well, let's test your theory. Out of St. Helens and Wigan which club - over the entirety of SL - has produced more SL quality players. I'd say Wigan. I'd even stretch to a tie. But nothing more.

Number of Wigan titles

Perhaps a better way of assessing the "essential-ness" of academies would be to evaluate the performance of teams with weaker academies in comparison to stronger ones. You can use the pies in your argument but why didn't you use Leeds who had a strong academy system which has recently reaped rewards? By using the pies and not considering others you are presenting only a snippet of fact which isn't necessarily truth.

RankPostsTeam
International Star1432No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2013Aug 2012LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: LovesToSpooge " Up to Madge's arrival we were always struggling in at least one of those area's if not more.'"

Let's not kid ourselves.

Madge came in with a specific gameplan (one which nearly every coach in super league has a dig at when they say ''and they play the game in the right way'' when referring to saints/warrington/leeds), but none of the methods he brought in were maintable or condusive to long term success, and couldn't be executed without experienced heads in certain positions, hence the reason he has barely bloodied any new youngsters this season. Already this season teams began to work it out.

I fully expect normal service to resumed next season, in fact it already has this season as wigan failed to make the grand final.

RankPostsTeam
International Star1432No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2013Aug 2012LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: LovesToSpooge "It's a huge part but not the only part of creating a title winning side IMO. It was the other parts of the jigsaw that Wigan lacked that probably cost us a title or two. The constant chopping and changing of coach and in turn poor culture at the club was more than detrimental to our chances.

'"

Well you've had madge for 2 years an already a new coach is coming in. How long do you reckon wane will last?

Poor culture you say?

The thing with culture is it's something built over time. Madge can't just come in wave his magic wand and alter the culture at the club.

He came in and gave you a gameplan to win a title. Now it's past it's sell by date.

RankPostsTeam
Administrator25122No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2017May 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
7.gif
:7.gif

Quote: McClennan "Really? Props coming through their academy? I'm struggling to think of many as most of their props have come from others clubs e.g. Platt (which was over twenty years ago anyway), Cowie, O'Connor. There may have been plenty coming through during the history days but that production line has dried up and not just there but everywhere.'"

Of course they've dried up. But within that context Wigan have hardly been prop-less. Again, I'm not talking about the likes of a Kevin Ward or a Graham. But the likes of O'Carroll, Prescott and (probably) Mossop are enough to give any club a solid platform on which to build. And there can be no question that Wigan have produced far better second row forwards than Saints since the arrival of SL.

Quote: McClennan "Perhaps a better way of assessing the "essential-ness" of academies would be to evaluate the performance of teams with weaker academies in comparison to stronger ones. You can use the pies in your argument but why didn't you use Leeds who had a strong academy system which has recently reaped rewards? By using the pies and not considering others you are presenting only a snippet of fact which isn't necessarily truth.'"

I think you need to familiarize yourself with the definition of rlessentialrl

[i"1. Absolutely necessary".[/i

Let's substitute those words into my original statement"having a good academy is not and never will be absolutely necessary (to winning SL)". [/i

There is no force I am aware of that guarantees any top academy side future success. On the other hand, it is quite conceivable that a team with a modestly gifted academy could go on to win SL with the aid of a good coach, plenty of money and a bit of luck. How many kids have Huddersfield produced - yet they were not far away from a couple of Challenge Cups and were realistic title contenders this season.

Let's return to Wigan for a moment. A club which has probably produced more SL players than any other club. This is a team which has not only underachieved in SL - it came within a hair's breadth (after some crooked transfer dealings) of being RELEGATED.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach2935No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200520 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2021Nov 2012LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
12951_1317512951.jpg
[img:c0qkl00y]http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j240/tycelchu/Entertainers-Banner-May-2009.gif[/img:c0qkl00y]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_12951.jpg

Right, I've deleted a boat-load of posts in order to clean this thread up and make it more readable. In future I suggest that if you feel that someone is attempting to troll you do one (or both) of two things a) be the bigger person and ignore the post causing offence and rather than get involved in a petty slanging match and b) use the report system to offer your opinion that the post is a trolling attempt. HOWEVER before doing b), make sure that you have read and considered the post and can offer a reasoned complaint rather than flying off the handle and complaining simply because you disagree with something the poster has written, it is far easier for us to delete one offending post than half a thread.

Now stay on topic. Any posts here in response to this will be deleted.

TS

RankPostsTeam
Administrator25122No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2017May 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
7.gif

Thinking about it - if there is one absolute necessity in Rugby League that will give you an outstanding chance of securing a Grand Final it is - [imoney[/i.

RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2021May 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
34_1430670222.jpg
[url=http://wp.me/p1ImSi-n8:8gr6akfh][b:8gr6akfh]An Ode to Sepp Blatter[/b:8gr6akfh][/url:8gr6akfh] [url=http://wp.me/s1ImSi-dadbod:8gr6akfh][b:8gr6akfh]Dadbod[/b:8gr6akfh][/url:8gr6akfh] [url=http://wp.me/p1ImSi-mK:8gr6akfh][b:8gr6akfh]Next In Line To The Throne[/b:8gr6akfh][/url:8gr6akfh] [url=https://mcclennan.wordpress.com/2014/10/12/st-helens-and-a-fitting-end-to-a-season-of-unsung-heroes/:8gr6akfh][b:8gr6akfh]St Helens and a Fitting End to a Season of Unsung Heroes[/b:8gr6akfh][/url:8gr6akfh] [url=https://twitter.com/cinematicsoul:8gr6akfh][b:8gr6akfh]Follow my wisdom on Twitter[/b:8gr6akfh][/url:8gr6akfh] [url=http://wp.me/p1ImSi-aA:8gr6akfh][b:8gr6akfh]Top 100 films of the 00s - The Top 5[/b:8gr6akfh][/url:8gr6akfh]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_34.jpg

Quote: Mugwump "Of course they've dried up. But within that context Wigan have hardly been prop-less. Again, I'm not talking about the likes of a Kevin Ward or a Graham. But the likes of O'Carroll, Prescott and (probably) Mossop are enough to give any club a solid platform on which to build. '"

Prescott will probably stay but O'Carroll? He's a fringe first 17 at best. Mossop is a good shout but we've produced Graham and Clough during the same time.

Quote: Mugwump "I think you need to familiarize yourself with the definition of rlessentialrl

[i"1. Absolutely necessary".[/i

Let's substitute those words into my original statement"having a good academy is not and never will be absolutely necessary (to winning SL)". [/i

There is no force I am aware of that guarantees any top academy side future success. On the other hand, it is quite conceivable that a team with a modestly gifted academy could go on to win SL with the aid of a good coach, plenty of money and a bit of luck. How many kids have Huddersfield produced - yet they were not far away from a couple of Challenge Cups and were realistic title contenders this season.

Let's return to Wigan for a moment. A club which has probably produced more SL players than any other club. This is a team which has not only underachieved in SL - it came within a hair's breadth (after some crooked transfer dealings) of being RELEGATED.'"

Change the essential to critical and the argument remains. You're more likely to be there or thereabouts if you have a better academy system which you could say is evidenced by the fact the previous six Grand Finals have all contained at least one team with a significantly better than average academy system (this year's having more homegrown players than any other previous Grand Final). There will always be exceptions to the rule but as a general principle a good academy is arguably the strongest foundation for success. Having some money behind you may help but it is only a short-term solution because of the nature of the cap i.e. retention of players is normally cheaper than an acquisition so the creation of a good youth programme becomes a key investment area for clubs with money e.g. Warrington.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach4131No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200520 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2015Oct 2012LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
13195_1269878621.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_13195.jpg

How many players have come through Wigans academy and got more SL titles than the club itself? Bet theres a few. Long, Gilmour, Forshaw off the top of my head. Definatly a few with more cup medals too.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member32338
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
3076_1671446335.jpg
SAINTS THE ORIGINAL AND PERENNIAL CHEATS For sale full Saints kit (circa 1989). Shirts in pristine condition, but shorts badly soiled. For 27 - 0 you get a trophy For 75 - 0 you get sod all. Wigan had eight in a row Saints have five in a row:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_3076.jpg

Quote: Bill_Barlow "How many players have come through Wigans academy and got more SL titles than the club itself? Bet theres a few. Long, Gilmour, Forshaw off the top of my head. Definatly a few with more cup medals too.'"

Scott Naylor?

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member25689No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2016Mar 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
1617.jpg
[quote="Meyt N Prater Pie"]I think I hate wigan.[/quote]:1617.jpg

Quote: Mugwump "Thinking about it - if there is one absolute necessity in Rugby League that will give you an outstanding chance of securing a Grand Final it is - [imoney[/i.'"

You tell that to Warrington!

RankPostsTeam
Administrator25122No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2017May 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
7.gif

Quote: McClennan "Prescott will probably stay but O'Carroll? He's a fringe first 17 at best. Mossop is a good shout but we've produced Graham and Clough during the same time.'"

O'Carroll is a solid, grafting prop. I never claimed he was a world-beater.

Quote: McClennan "Change the essential to critical and the argument remains. You're more likely to be there or thereabouts if you have a better academy system which you could say is evidenced by the fact the previous six Grand Finals have all contained at least one team with a significantly better than average academy system (this year's having more homegrown players than any other previous Grand Final). There will always be exceptions to the rule but as a general principle a good academy is arguably the strongest foundation for success. Having some money behind you may help but it is only a short-term solution because of the nature of the cap i.e. retention of players is normally cheaper than an acquisition so the creation of a good youth programme becomes a key investment area for clubs with money e.g. Warrington.'"

Having a good academy will indeed give you a better chance of success. But the issue we're debating is whether it is "absolutely necessary" to win a GF. This is patently not true.

RankPostsTeam
Administrator25122No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2017May 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
7.gif

Quote: Blobbynator "You tell that to Warrington!'"

Given what seems like a century of underachievement I'm fairly certain Warrington fans are happy with the results recent injections of money have secured.

RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2021May 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
34_1430670222.jpg

Quote: Mugwump "O'Carroll is a solid, grafting prop. I never claimed he was a world-beater.'"

So a couple of solid grafting props and a kid who is only just making an impact qualifies Wigoon as having a production line of props? I have to disagree.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach8991
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
47035_1386433761.gif
We can be bold enough to make a stand and do battle for our views and beliefs. But we must strive to be mature enough not to resort to unnecessary personal attacks upon people with opposing views.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_47035.gif

Going back to the OP. I concurred next year I would actually expect us to move on from where we where this year.

I'll get to the youth debate in a minute.

If we start at prop.

We have lost Graham and no doubt we have not replaced him, but I would argue we don't need to, if anything Graham spent the last 5 years doing too much of the forward work and that needs to be shared around. So we have lost Graham, but we did not see anything much of Perry he will be like a new signing. We have also added with Laffranchi. Megennis will be a year older and more experienced and bigger. Clough will be fit (please). We have a bunch of Props LMS, Clough, Megennis who are 20 somethings and will get bigger and better with age. That is a strong basis to go forward, with the experience and talent of Perry/TP and Laffranchi to back them up.

2md row. Wilkin back to his best, Sia has been mostly great this year and again is a 20 something forward with the potential to improve even more. Add to this Flannaghan for Moore, Dixon who was getting better and better at the end of the season. Flannery offers solid back up and of course Laffranchi who we are not sure but is a 2nd rower, but may play prop.

Roby hooking enough said , but with Flannaghan, Lomax and Lance to back up this posistion is strengthened.

Wings we have 2 great young lads, with back up from Gardner, - I can't recall when we had 3 wingers competiting for positions. Foster and Makinson will get better after their first full year.

Centres for me it has to be Wheeler and Shenton. If Wheeler strikes out, then Meli to cover. And we go shopping in 2013 to find a centre.

Halfbacks well they got us to a GF and CC semi pretty much on their own, next year they will have Lance to add experience to that energy and raw talent.

FB well the good money is on Wellens, but we have people just ready to take that jersy off him.

All in all I think we have added depth in a few positions and the youth stepping up this year, will be better for it next year.

Yes we all think another prop would ice the cake nicely, but whose to say we are done signing people.

There are plenty of other people on the move this week.

37 posts in 3 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Billinge_Lump , Saint Simon , BackrowSaint
37 posts in 3 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Billinge_Lump , Saint Simon , BackrowSaint

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.07861328125:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Shareholders Meeting
Scarlet Pimp
Recent
Bulls Accounts up to Nov 2023
Blotto
Recent