JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2022May 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
1649_1338292262.jpg
I have followed the LONDON CLUB since I was in my teensl even though born in St Helens and still live nearby and went to the first game at Fulham, also Big West Ham Supporter:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_1649.jpg

Quote: SaintsFan "Some fans seem to have forgotten that there are young players who will be knocking on the door of the first team next season but who weren't ready this season.

I guess that's the beauty of having a good youth setup.'"

I think you will find that most Super League Clubs have good youth set ups it just takes time for them to develop, even in your "beauty" of a good youth set up you still have to plunder other clubs youth Shelton and Louis MS? LOL!

Also Top Saint states "Absolutely right. In our own, wholly owned, comfortable surroundings." I wonder what the deeds do say? is it completely & fully owned, a lot of Council's and Development Boards when they invest are using tax payers money so they like it to be part owned by & for the community? St Helens may be different.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach16170No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2016Oct 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
40218_1286737075.jpg
Success is not final; failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts. (Winston Churchill):d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_40218.jpg

Quote: jaybs "I think you will find that most Super League Clubs have good youth set ups it just takes time for them to develop, even in your "beauty" of a good youth set up you still have to plunder other clubs youth Shelton and Louis MS? LOL! '"

Plunder? Do you know what the word means? Clearly not! We signed one Cas player and one London player. On Sunday against Wigan we played three foreign players, said Cas and London players plus Wilkin who is from Hull (but who has been with us 10 years next season), and the rest were local lads who had come through our youth system. I think you'll find we lead the way again this season in the number of young and home grown players we have played. That sets us apart in this area.

Quote: jaybs "I wonder what the deeds do say? is it completely & fully owned, a lot of Council's and Development Boards when they invest are using tax payers money so they like it to be part owned by & for the community? St Helens may be different.'"

The stadium is fully owned by the club. The whole site is owned by the developers, Langtree. The council paid for the site to be cleansed and redeveloped (infrastructure) and Tesco paid only for itself. They are the facts of the matter but please don't let that undermine your bitterness.

RankPostsTeam
International Star19No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2013Jun 2013LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Seem to recall Saints signing two Samoans after the 2003 RU World cup and wasnt Apollo P bought after a previous RWC competition as well? Possible source for signings again maybe.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach16963No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200916 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2017Oct 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
44308_1279480467.gif
Mugwump mocking mental illness for a second time - "You are mentally ill and I can't indulge your madness any more" Utter disgusting abusive remark from a keyboard warrior:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_44308.gif

Quote: Destry "Seem to recall Saints signing two Samoans after the 2003 RU World cup and wasnt Apollo P bought after a previous RWC competition as well? Possible source for signings again maybe.'"

Maybe, that sonny bill Williams might be worth a punt as he might make a good rugby league player icon_wink.gif

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner1390No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2019Apr 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
6017.jpg
Politicians are the same all over. They promise to build a bridge even where there is no river. Nikita Khrushchev (1894 - 1971):6017.jpg

Quote: Destry "Seem to recall Saints signing two Samoans after the 2003 RU World cup and wasnt Apollo P bought after a previous RWC competition as well? Possible source for signings again maybe.'"

Maurie came good once he got fit and Dom Feaunati brought some bite to the backline.

RankPostsTeam
International Star647No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2014Oct 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Gerry Mander "Maurie came good once he got fit and Dom Feaunati brought some bite to the backline.'"

Funny how Dom was the one who signed as a "cert" to be a success and Maurie was bought as a gamble who would progress slowly!

RankPostsTeam
International Star513
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Apr 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

With the clamping down on overseas/non fed players i doubt we can sign anyone from the world cup.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach7498
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2023Feb 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
15174_1377541021.gif
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_15174.gif

Quote: jaybs "I think you will find that most Super League Clubs have good youth set ups it just takes time for them to develop, even in your "beauty" of a good youth set up you still have to plunder other clubs youth Shelton and Louis MS? LOL!

Also Top Saint states "Absolutely right. In our own, wholly owned, comfortable surroundings." I wonder what the deeds do say? is it completely & fully owned, a lot of Council's and Development Boards when they invest are using tax payers money so they like it to be part owned by & for the community? St Helens may be different.'"
You really are a d1ck. We aquired out of contract British talent and yes we own our stadium unlike alot of clubs including your worthless nomads. Don't know why I or anyone else takes you on, turncoat.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member4958No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2022May 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
1649_1338292262.jpg
I have followed the LONDON CLUB since I was in my teensl even though born in St Helens and still live nearby and went to the first game at Fulham, also Big West Ham Supporter:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_1649.jpg

Quote: No1 Saint "You really are a d1ck. We aquired out of contract British talent and yes we own our stadium unlike alot of clubs including your worthless nomads. Don't know why I or anyone else takes you on, turncoat.'"

Shows home much you know about rugby league, in a recent game against Leeds we had no players who did not hold a UK Passport on the pitch and we had Five London born players, remember our history is 30 years not 100 years plus.

You are such a polite person LOL! nice to know you.

RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2022May 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
1649_1338292262.jpg

Quote: SaintsFan "I think you'll find we lead the way again this season in the number of young and home grown players we have played. That sets us apart in this area.

The stadium is fully owned by the club. The whole site is owned by the developers, Langtree. The council paid for the site to be cleansed and redeveloped (infrastructure) and Tesco paid only for itself. They are the facts of the matter but please don't let that undermine your bitterness.'"

I respect the number of players the club has brought through the Academy system, but many use it as an excuse when a few matches are lost.

Why should I be bitter? I support any club that is trying to improve themselves, it is just unfortunate it was not done when the Sky money first came into our game.

Tesco paid only for itself? so no money was given at all towards the ground? so do you underestimate the investment from the Council? which come out of taxpayers money, 3% of them a recent figure who support rugby league, even though Council Leader Marie Rimmer tried! to claim much more was down to them, not saying why nothing was ever done much earlier? I still felt some money came through North West Development if I am wrong. It is great to see such as Salford & Warrington with such new grounds. We are now in London looking at land but it has to be the right move, one of the reasons investment is now being put into the Youth game in certain areas, £250,000 from just one sponsor, which is small time money to them this year. I just wish Wigan when they sold Central Park had gone for their own ground, not the beck and call of an owner as we well know currently.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach7498
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2023Feb 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
15174_1377541021.gif

Quote: jaybs "Shows home much you know about rugby league, in a recent game against Leeds we had no players who did not hold a UK Passport on the pitch and we had Five London born players, remember our history is 30 years not 100 years plus.

You are such a polite person LOL! nice to know you.'"

Do you always reply to imaginary posts? Try reading before you type out a reply to what you hoped I'd say rather than what I did say. Turncoat

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach7498
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2023Feb 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
15174_1377541021.gif

Quote: jaybs " I just wish Wigan when they sold Central Park had gone for their own ground, not the beck and call of an owner as we well know currently.'"

They tried but they didn't have enough money. IIRC I don't think the council were too keen on 2 new stadiums either. You thinking of supporting them next?

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach16170No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2016Oct 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
40218_1286737075.jpg
Success is not final; failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts. (Winston Churchill):d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_40218.jpg

Quote: jaybs "I respect the number of players the club has brought through the Academy system, but many use it as an excuse when a few matches are lost.'"

We beat Quins a couple of weeks ago with a team almost entirely made up of our Academy products and only one of those had their debut at that match, which shows just how much we have used our locally grown players this season (and indeed last season). We have won games and lost games with our Academy lads in the team (including our older Academy lads, such as Wello, Jammer and Robes). Some fans don't have patience, I agree, but for the most part I think you will find that Saints fans have bought into what has been a deliberate club policy over the last few years to grow our own.

Quote: jaybs "Why should I be bitter? I support any club that is trying to improve themselves, it is just unfortunate it was not done when the Sky money first came into our game.'"

That was down to the RFL, not the clubs. Clubs want to win trophies, that is natural. A governing body sets the rules by which and the climate within which clubs seek to do that.

Quote: jaybs "Tesco paid only for itself? so no money was given at all towards the ground? '"

Nope. Not a bean. They came into the project in order to enable the site to be developed. It's a big site; a former glassworks. Saints could never afford to develop the whole site.

Quote: jaybs "So do you underestimate the investment from the Council? which come out of taxpayers money, 3% of them a recent figure who support rugby league, even though Council Leader Marie Rimmer tried! to claim much more was down to them, not saying why nothing was ever done much earlier? '"

You don't know what you are talking about. Not a penny of the Council investment came out of taxpayers money. It all came from the Council's capital budget, not its revenue budget. Initially the Council's contribution was £10 million, purely for infrastructure works including the footbridge (yet to arrive). However, just before it was dismantled, the NWDA awarded a grant of £4 million towards the infrastructure works, so reducing the Council's contribution. Without the Council's contribution the site's infrastructure works would not have been completed and neither Saints nor Tesco could have built on there. But that is part of the role of a CouncilI just wish Wigan when they sold Central Park had gone for their own ground, not the beck and call of an owner as we well know currently.'"

Wigan couldn't afford to. They bought their success in the 80s and 90s and got themselves into millions of pounds worth of debt. Selling Central Park was the only way they could get rid of that debt. That's the price paid for buying success. Give me youth development and a stadium to call our own any day of the week!

As for London, I seriously hope that one day the SL club there will have its own identity and I reckon taking it more towards the East End could well pay off, especially if the sponsored project takes off. There is a lot of potential in London but it's just a massive place and so no matter where your club is located there is going to be a long trip involved for some people. That means your on field performance needs to be good enough to attract and retain the commitment from fans.

RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2022May 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
1649_1338292262.jpg

Quote: No1 Saint "They tried but they didn't have enough money. IIRC I don't think the council were too keen on 2 new stadiums either. You thinking of supporting them next?'"

Are you trying to be a comedian? because you fail badly, I note from many of your responses to others you are such a happy person Not! LOL

RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2022May 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
1649_1338292262.jpg

Quote: SaintsFan "Some fans don't have patience, I agree, but for the most part I think you will find that Saints fans have bought into what has been a deliberate club policy over the last few years to grow our own.

That was down to the RFL, not the clubs. Clubs want to win trophies, that is natural. A governing body sets the rules by which and the climate within which clubs seek to do that.

You don't know what you are talking about. Not a penny of the Council investment came out of taxpayers money. It all came from the Council's capital budget, not its revenue budget. Initially the Council's contribution was £10 million, purely for infrastructure works including the footbridge (yet to arrive). However, just before it was dismantled, the NWDA awarded a grant of £4 million towards the infrastructure works, so reducing the Council's contribution. Without the Council's contribution the site's infrastructure works would not have been completed and neither Saints nor Tesco could have built on there. But that is part of the role of a Council

At least I appreciate SaintsFan that you are always polite, we all support one Great game even if different clubs.

I think I may a little about what I am talking about, you may just look at it in a different way. I did think that the NWDA did contribute.

Know too well about Marie Rimmer, the way she stood in the middle of the Knowlsey Road pitch wanting to take credit at the end! can't understand why voters allowed her to take control back once more? the hung council seemed to work!

The £250,000 sponsorship is now working in the East End, there are some good youngsters coming through the Academy system, one of LMS cousins now signed, but short term if we are going to spend the money that has been allocated for real marketing to attract larger attendances we need to be winning as you say and that is why for the next few seasons we have had to bring in some good signings starting 2012, just wish the new ground would have been ready for this investment by owner David Hughes.

51 posts in 4 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Billinge_Lump , Saint Simon , BackrowSaint
51 posts in 4 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Billinge_Lump , Saint Simon , BackrowSaint

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Hudds
BigTime
22m
Hull live/Tomlinson
The Dentist
34m