JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2016Oct 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
40218_1286737075.jpg
Success is not final; failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts. (Winston Churchill):d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_40218.jpg

Quote: FearTheVee "Interesting, what do you mean by that? Do you think he is being coached to play the role differently to Lomax?'"

Brown said in interview that Makinson is a different kind of player to Lomax so I would imagine different things are being asked of him, wouldn't you?

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member11377
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2960.jpg
:2960.jpg

Quote: SaintsFan "Brown said in interview that Makinson is a different kind of player to Lomax so I would imagine different things are being asked of him, wouldn't you?'"

As I edited above (too slow!):

Whilst it's possible he is being asked not to adopt a ball playing role, I think it's it's more likely that his skill set doesn't allow him to do it as well as Lomax.

That's not a criticism BTW as I think Lomax could make a truly brilliant FB and most players would suffer in comparison to him. Makinson does a decent job there, but Lomax he ain't as the best FB's offer the ability to chime as an extra half.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach16170No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2016Oct 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
40218_1286737075.jpg
Success is not final; failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts. (Winston Churchill):d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_40218.jpg

Quote: FearTheVee "That's not a criticism BTW as I think Lomax could make a truly brilliant FB and most players would suffer in comparison to him. Makinson does a decent job there, but Lomax he ain't as the best FB's offer the ability to chime as an extra half.'"

So far as I'm aware, Makinson has never played in the halves so that role would be alien to him I should think. I think he spent his junior days playing mainly at centre but also at fullback.

He can chime in with the line though. I've seen him do it. But had he learned to play in the halves then maybe he would have adapted more readily to the modern fullback role.

However, I think people are too harsh on him. He is being compared to someone he is not at a time when we need him to be confident over a long period of time in what he can do well.

RankPostsTeam
International Star712No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2019Dec 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
61326_1313411800.jpg
Friday 28th March, 2014, a day that will live in infamy... [quote="Saddened!":fwnfr3rg]Whatever happens they have all been magnificent. Even Wello.[/quote:fwnfr3rg] [quote="Saddened!":fwnfr3rg]Lance Hohaia can have my babies after that show[/quote:fwnfr3rg] #theworldturnedupsidedown:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_61326.jpg

Makinson is a good player and does ok at full back, for me the main issue is twice last week he opted to throw a poor attempt at a cut out pass straight to the winger rather than a short ball to the centre which bombed 2 tries for us. That aside he is pretty solid and I have no issue with him playing there (although as soon as Lomax is back he will surely play at 1)

Makinson to the halves is a joke and anybody who thinks putting him there is a good move is surely a few sandwiches short of a picnic. As mentioned above, he doesnt seem to have the ability to pass a ball very well (a fundamental for a half back) and pace alone isnt just what we need to inject into the halves.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach8991
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
47035_1386433761.gif
We can be bold enough to make a stand and do battle for our views and beliefs. But we must strive to be mature enough not to resort to unnecessary personal attacks upon people with opposing views.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_47035.gif

I think this is a big discussion with very little disagreement.

Makinson > Wellens
Lomax > Makinson.

There is no harm in saying there is a better player waiting in the wings. It does not do anything to down grade Makinson at all. In fact because Makinson can cover FB competantly, I would say that's great as we don't have to buy in a FB to cover any loss of Lomax in the future.

People may bemon the fact that Lomax was not playing as from what we have seen his impact could have changed the game. I think when people have scored the players they would not be rating Makinson as a failure, they just wish we had Lomax as it could have turned the game in our favour, as could have TP or Manu.

The players who got a real keyboard bashing of the fans were LMS and Howarth. I was not there, but from the Stats that seamed to be pretty fair.

An unfair bashing would be someone like Meli who gets it in the neck whether he has a good game an average game or a terrible game, as people hold his past disasters over him, even if he is close to being MOM.

RankPostsTeam
International Star2681No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 201114 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2017Jul 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
58216_1342011610.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_58216.jpg

Quote: wakey_saint "Makinson is a good player and does ok at full back, for me the main issue is twice last week he opted to throw a poor attempt at a cut out pass straight to the winger rather than a short ball to the centre which bombed 2 tries for us. That aside he is pretty solid and I have no issue with him playing there (although as soon as Lomax is back he will surely play at 1)

Makinson to the halves is a joke and anybody who thinks putting him there is a good move is surely a few sandwiches short of a picnic. As mentioned above, he doesnt seem to have the ability to pass a ball very well (a fundamental for a half back) and pace alone isnt just what we need to inject into the halves.'"

Was listening to Brown and he mentions that very point.

I mean the best players can pull these passes off, merely because they are the 'best players'. Makinson's passing game is ok, but nowhere near the standard where he can afford to try this, especially the last chance to Swift.

I'm confident that Lomax would have executed that pass far better or made a smarter pass choice, but it wasn't to be.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach16170No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2016Oct 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
40218_1286737075.jpg

Quote: Albion "Was listening to Brown and he mentions that very point. '"

Although it wasn't really necessary for him to mention it at all, he couched is as 'young players like to play long passes, don't they?' or words to that effect. However, even a backdoor criticism was unnecessary, unless he was also going to apply the same approach to say LMS, who gave away penalties at crucial moments or others who missed tackles at important points.

It really annoys me when coaches pick on one player to cricitise, even by the backdoor.

RankPostsTeam
International Star307No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2023Dec 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Offside Monkey "Makinson has extra pace though. As we know, what you do without the ball is also important. If Makinson can develop his movement when goign behind our 1st phase attackers to join the line, the pace of which he can do it should really disturb the oppo defences and create spce for other players.'"

Lomax is hardly slow himself is he, and his ball playing ability and footwork make him such a threat out the back. Although he isnt a 7, his stint at Scrum Half will help him massively as a Full Back, and that was evident when he played there. Makinson reminds me of Lomax when he first burst onto the scene in 2010 in the fact that he doesn't quite have the ball skills to play in a pivotal position, but is slightly wasted on the wing. As I say, Lomax's decision making is generally pretty good, and the experience of playing at 7 has improved him enourmously.

Makinson looks as though he is a winger playing at Full Back for me, and although he is doing reasonably well, it's not his natural position.

In terms of his pass selection, that will improve with experience. You tend to find that young players look to play the long pass before the short pass, but as I say, the decision making side of his game will improve the more he plays there. Whether he gets those opportunities long term is another matter, and the answer is quite obvious IMO.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member993No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2017Apr 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Offside Monkey "A full back shouldn't have to make any tackles. Every time it does it will be because of a failing of the defensive line.

Stats are very useful, but should never be used as 100% of your theory. They should be used to complement what we see with our own eyes.

Makinson is a good fullback - probably a better full back than a winger, but Lomax was a revelation with only a 4 game run there.'"

One needs to be careful about players becoming overnight sensations when covering positions. Usually it has a lot to do with that player's ability but there are other reasons they can sometimes shine:

They see things differently from the previous player, not be constrained by years of playing that role/position
They may be completely hacked off in their previous position and relish the chance to be away from it
They may just be better than the player they have replaced
They may just catch the opposition unawares as there's less information for them to prepare against this 'new man'
Anyone can have a run of good games (in any position)

In Lomax's case, he's clearly a very good player and no doubt can cope with full back on a longer term, career basis but there have been many 'revelations' if one only looks at a short representative timespan.....in fact, Lee Smith once won the Harry Sunderland trophy which earned him a place in a World Cup and he was, is and always will be, dog dirt.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member14094
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2019Jul 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2595.jpg
I'm not Jesus Christ, I've come to accept that now. [quote][b]XBrettKennyX wrote:[/b] Once more the anti SC brigade, purposely or otherwise fail to see the point. Thick as pig swill.[/quote]:2595.jpg

Quote: wakey_saint "Makinson to the halves is a joke and anybody who thinks putting him there is a good move is surely a few sandwiches short of a picnic. As mentioned above, he doesnt seem to have the ability to pass a ball very well (a fundamental for a half back) and pace alone isnt just what we need to inject into the halves.'"

I'm presuming SaintsFan is talking about the Academy system, where we seem to have played a number of players in a number of roles to develop aspects of their game.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member14094
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2019Jul 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2595.jpg
I'm not Jesus Christ, I've come to accept that now. [quote][b]XBrettKennyX wrote:[/b] Once more the anti SC brigade, purposely or otherwise fail to see the point. Thick as pig swill.[/quote]:2595.jpg

Quote: SaintsFan "Although it wasn't really necessary for him to mention it at all, he couched is as 'young players like to play long passes, don't they?' or words to that effect. However, even a backdoor criticism was unnecessary, unless he was also going to apply the same approach to say LMS, who gave away penalties at crucial moments or others who missed tackles at important points.

It really annoys me when coaches pick on one player to cricitise, even by the backdoor.'"

The coach may regard it as the best way to motivate the player, he knows his mentality more than any of us on here.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach16170No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2016Oct 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
40218_1286737075.jpg

Quote: Billinge_Lump "The coach may regard it as the best way to motivate the player, he knows his mentality more than any of us on here.'"

Maybe. It doesn't sound particularly nice though.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach16170No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2016Oct 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
40218_1286737075.jpg

Quote: Billinge_Lump "I'm presuming SaintsFan is talking about the Academy system, where we seem to have played a number of players in a number of roles to develop aspects of their game.'"

Yep, that's what I was referring to.

RankPostsTeam
International Star1220
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2023Sep 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
52916_1378593744.jpg
A pint of sweat, saves a gallon of blood. - George S. Patton In war, resolution; in defeat, defiance; in victory, magnanimity. - Winston Churchill It is fatal to enter any war without the will to win it. - General Douglas MacArthur Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent. - Isaac Asimov:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_52916.jpg

Quote: SaintsFan "Brown said in interview that Makinson is a different kind of player to Lomax so I would imagine different things are being asked of him, wouldn't you?'"

Well I would expect that's a given. You wouldn't expect a coach to ask a prop to play like a fullback would you? ( Highly exaggerated to push a point before saintsfan gets on her high horse ).

Makinsons skillset is different therefore he could not do what Jonny does. He will play fullback in his own way to his strengths. Is it then all down to opinion who is the better fullback.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach16963No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200916 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2017Oct 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
44308_1279480467.gif
Mugwump mocking mental illness for a second time - "You are mentally ill and I can't indulge your madness any more" Utter disgusting abusive remark from a keyboard warrior:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_44308.gif

Quote: Billinge_Lump "The coach may regard it as the best way to motivate the player, he knows his mentality more than any of us on here.'"

Good coaches know what buttons to press with certain players. This could possibly be a way of getting a reaction from the player.

Some players need a arm around them, some need to be left to their own devices, some need to me told straight and some need to be told one on one. As a player I liked to be pulled to one side and told straight if I was doing something wrong, my mentality was, " I'll show him".

A little off topic. Brown has done all the above with Gaskell and seems he's burnt all his bridges at saints.

130 posts in 10 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Billinge_Lump , Saint Simon , BackrowSaint
130 posts in 10 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Billinge_Lump , Saint Simon , BackrowSaint

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

3.18994140625:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Leigh it is
NickyKiss
7m
Rumours thread
PopTart
10m
Tonights match v HKR
ChampagneSup
13m
Decision on the field
Cruncher
28m
Proposed rule changes 2025
MjM
30m
Isa 1 year extension
Rogues Galle
31m
Who do you want to win the Grand Final
The Cooke Re
35m
Fev H Play Off
Bully_Boxer
47m
TV Games - Not Hull
BP1
48m
Season tickets
Hudd-Shay
FORUM
LAST
VIEW
TOPIC
POSTER
Leigh it is
NickyKiss
54s
2024 IMG gradings
northernblok
1m
Squad 2024
Tony Fax
1m
Tonights match v HKR
ChampagneSup
1m
Squads - Leopards v Warriors
Vancouver Le
1m
Hull KR Survive Warrington Fightback To Secure Grand Final Spot
Mild Rover
1m
Transfer Talk / Rumour thread V4
Seth
2m
Game - Song Titles
Boss Hog
2m
Worst semi
Barstool Pre
2m
Isa 1 year extension
Rogues Galle
FORUM
NEW
TOPICS
TOPIC
POSTER
Decision on the field
Cruncher
TODAY
Who do you want to win the Grand Final
The Cooke Re
TODAY
Worst semi
Barstool Pre
TODAY
2025 TRANSFER AND RETENTION RUMOURS
Listenup94
TODAY
Sam Burgess
Bobby Digita
TODAY
Hull KR Survive Warrington Fightback To Secure Grand Final Spot
RLFANS News
TODAY
Squad 2025
Nat (Rugby_A
TODAY
Tonights match v HKR
ChampagneSup
TODAY
Isa 1 year extension
Rogues Galle
TODAY
2024 IMG gradings
northernblok
TODAY
Championship Awards
Butcher
TODAY
Season tickets
Hudd-Shay
TODAY
Best Semi
sir adrian m
TODAY
Ben Condon is a Leopard
Jack Gaskell
TODAY
Squads - Leopards v Warriors
Vancouver Le
TODAY
Any decent RL reads for me hols
norbellini
TODAY
Championship Play Off Final
PopTart
TODAY
Man of Steel
matt_wire
TODAY
Guest appearance
AgbriggAmble
TODAY
Squad for HKR
MorePlaymake
TODAY
Proposed rule changes 2025
MjM
TODAY
Fev H Play Off
Bully_Boxer
TODAY
Whose going for a beer in Wigan Saturday
Deeeekos
TODAY
Play-off semi-final
BarnsleyGull
TODAY
Coach of the Year
Howfenwire
TODAY
Greatest game ever at HJ
Fantastic Mr
TODAY
World Club Challenge
Barstool Pre
NEWS ITEMS
VIEWS
Hull KR Survive Warrington Fig..
Warrington Wolves Break Saints..
Leigh Leopards Make Play Off P..
Catalans Dragons Finish Sevent..
Hull KR Secure Second With Vic..
Wigan Seal League Leaders Trop..
Wakefield Trinity Sweep Aside ..
Catalans Keep Season Alive Wit..
Salford Ensure Play-Offs And S..
Ruthless Wigan Thrash the Rhin..
Huddersfield Giants Hold Off L..
Salford Close In On The Play O..
Leigh Leopards Up To Fourth Af..
Leeds Rhinos Into the Six Afte..
Wigan Warriors Defeat Hull KR ..
POSTSONLINEREGISTRATIONSRECORD
19.64M 3,235 80,13114,103
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.

When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
RLFANS Match Centre
 TODAY
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R29
17:30
Wigan
v
Leigh
 TOMORROW
     National Rugby League 2024-R31
09:30
Melbourne
v
Penrith
       League One 2024-R26
15:00
Keighley
v
Hunslet
       Championship 2024-R29
Bradford
v
Featherstone
York
v
Widnes
     Womens Super League 2024-R16
16:30
York V
v
St.HelensW
 Sun 27th Oct
     Mens Internationals 2024-R2
14:30
England M
v
Samoa M
 Sat 2nd Nov
     Womens Internationals 2024-R2
12:00
ENGLAND W
v
WALES W
     Mens Internationals 2024-R3
England M
v
Samoa M
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)
Matches on TV
Sat 5th Oct
SL
17:30
Wigan-Leigh
Sun 6th Oct
L1
Keighley-Hunslet
WSL2024
16:30
York V-St.HelensW
NRL
09:30
Melbourne-Penrith
Sun 27th Oct
MINT2024
England M-Samoa M
Sat 2nd Nov
MINT2024
England M-Samoa M
Fri 4th Oct
SL 29 Hull KR10-8Warrington
Sun 29th Sep
L1 25 Rochdale26-46Hunslet
CH 28 Barrow24-26Widnes
CH 28 Bradford50-0Swinton
CH 28 Dewsbury28-8Sheffield
CH 28 Wakefield72-6Doncaster
CH 28 Whitehaven23-20Halifax
CH 28 York16-6Featherstone
Sat 28th Sep
CH 28 Toulouse64-16Batley
SL 28 Warrington23-22St.Helens
NRL 30 Penrith26-6Cronulla
Fri 27th Sep
SL 28 Salford6-14Leigh
NRL 30 Melbourne48-18Sydney
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Mens Betfred Super League XXVIII ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Hull KR 28 729 335 394 44
Wigan 27 721 336 385 44
Warrington 29 769 351 418 42
Leigh 28 580 404 176 33
Salford 28 556 561 -5 32
St.Helens 28 618 411 207 30

Catalans 27 475 427 48 30
Leeds 27 530 488 42 28
Huddersfield 27 468 658 -190 20
Castleford 27 425 735 -310 15
Hull FC 27 328 894 -566 6
LondonB 27 317 916 -599 6
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Betfred Championship 2024 ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wakefield 26 1010 262 748 50
Toulouse 25 744 368 376 35
Bradford 26 678 387 291 34
York 27 655 469 186 30
Widnes 26 551 475 76 29
Featherstone 26 622 500 122 28

Sheffield 26 626 526 100 28
Doncaster 26 498 619 -121 25
Halifax 26 509 650 -141 22
Batley 26 422 591 -169 22