JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2021Oct 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
187.jpg
[img:2penstlp]http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/5994/saints7sk.gif[/img:2penstlp] "...the biggest boor, the most opinionated pompous bigot that frequents these boards and he is NOT to be taken at all seriously. ":187.jpg

Leave aside the crap start. Our problem looks like creativity and skill. George Williams on his own has offered more direction, structure and creativity than Smith and Lomax put together.

I don't think we have it in us to come back from 3 scores down against a committed defence. We just don't know how to score enough.

40 minutes to prove me wrong, but I think our season ended when Gildart was gifted that second try.

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman5480No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2021Oct 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
187.jpg
[img:2penstlp]http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/5994/saints7sk.gif[/img:2penstlp] "...the biggest boor, the most opinionated pompous bigot that frequents these boards and he is NOT to be taken at all seriously. ":187.jpg

The lack from f brain and structure in the last 30 minutes has been awful to see. We have two creative, fast halves. Both aren't playing tonight.

RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2021Oct 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
187.jpg

Even with a decent referee, we're not good enough. But I have to say hicks is a useless prick.

RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2021Oct 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
187.jpg

To be fair, this has been the worst season for Saints I've watched since the game moved to summer in '96. We've never deserved to be in the finals. Our attack is the worst in the top 8, and we've the slowest squad I can remember. Let's draw a line under this, and hope Holbrook can build a different team for next year.

RankPostsTeam
International Star704No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2024Oct 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
59922_1314445400.jpg
Rugby is like a hard game of chess!:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_59922.jpg

Crap start killed us, 14 points down before we got going.

Our new spine looked exactly that. Looked like they'd never played together. Smith is poor, everything with him is so slow. Lomax isn't a 6, at least not on tonight's showing. He looked better in the last 10/15 when we had some urgency about us. Barba was rusty but when he had space looked dangerous.

Isa should have been off the pitch for that tackle on LMS. Whether it should have been a yellow or a red is subjective. On report is a cop out, if he gets a ban for that tackle, how does it benefit us? It doesn't. Leuluai's lunge when Taia scored should have been an 8 points try too imo.

One thing that really annoys me is apparent tackles in the air. Not just tonight, it happens every week in most matches. When an attacking player challenges for the ball with the defending player, as soon as there's slight contact it's a penalty. Happened tonight when Percival challenged Marshall(?), Percival had eyes on the ball, yet was penalised for it.

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman12738No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2024Aug 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
16.jpg
:16.jpg

I actually thought Lomax offered a threat in the halves through his ball handling ability when running at the line. Barba who is about 3 yards slower than he was in the NRL still looked threatening in attack. Smith looked about 2 yards off the pace, and it showed when Wigan repeatedly attacked down that channel. They knew he was slow and exploited it with quick shifts. When he had the ball in hand they just let him run as they knew he could not go through a gap.

I personally was shocked that Fage was not on the bench, as expected him to rotate with someone else.

Looking forward the coach can now use the rest of the season to break through some of the youngsters.
Richardson needs to be given the last 3 games to help give him more experience, with a view to him partnering Lomax next season.

Fage i would rotate with Roby at hooker.

Smith needs to be used more as a senior mentor, like Wello in his last couple of years filling in when required.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach16963No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2017Oct 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
44308_1279480467.gif
Mugwump mocking mental illness for a second time - "You are mentally ill and I can't indulge your madness any more" Utter disgusting abusive remark from a keyboard warrior:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_44308.gif

Quote: Roy Haggerty "Leave aside the crap start. Our problem looks like creativity and skill. George Williams on his own has offered more direction, structure and creativity than Smith and Lomax put together.

I don't think we have it in us to come back from 3 scores down against a committed defence. We just don't know how to score enough.

40 minutes to prove me wrong, but I think our season ended when Gildart was gifted that second try.'"

I think Holbrook made massive mistake in his team selection and I really think it cost us the game.

In the biggest game of the year so far, we go into the game with a fullback that hasn't played rugby league for nearly 12 month and it looked like it. We had a brand new halfback partnership in lomax and the worst 7 in super league in matty Smith.

This wasn't the game to experiment. Ben barba should have been on bench with lomax fullback and fages and Smith (I'd pick Richardson) in the halves. We could have brought barba on if needed to win the game or if we was winning.

We looked like a team that was playing out 2nd game of the year with new players coming in and not a team playing in plsyoffs looking to make semis

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain80
JoinedServiceReputation
May 20177 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2017Oct 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
75984_1495024521.gif
Hey everyone, please check out my St Helens Fan Channel on You Tube via the following link , cheers :-)https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCI_5SF ... 86Efh9zCpQ:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_75984.gif

Quote: St pete "I think Holbrook made massive mistake in his team selection and I really think it cost us the game.

In the biggest game of the year so far, we go into the game with a fullback that hasn't played rugby league for nearly 12 month and it looked like it. We had a brand new halfback partnership in lomax and the worst 7 in super league in matty Smith.

This wasn't the game to experiment. Ben barba should have been on bench with lomax fullback and fages and Smith (I'd pick Richardson) in the halves. We could have brought barba on if needed to win the game or if we was winning.

We looked like a team that was playing out 2nd game of the year with new players coming in and not a team playing in plsyoffs looking to make semis'"

Spot on mate, I said the same in the build up to the game that Barba should be on the bench to come on at some point and with Fage and Richie in at the halves with Smith left back in Wigan.

We had no creativity when we get near the oppositions try line, we just seem to run out of ideas and revert to the Cunningham side to side drivel. On that showing I am wondering if 'Cunningham Consultants' had rang Holbrook to give advice before the game....it sure looked like it, but the Ref didn't help either and had a shocker for me.

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman5443
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2018Aug 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
788_1290880131.gif
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_788.gif

Quote: SecondRowSaint "

Isa should have been off the pitch for that tackle on LMS. Whether it should have been a yellow or a red is subjective. On report is a cop out, if he gets a ban for that tackle, how does it benefit us?

'"

No charge, quite rightly, he came in from behind.

RankPostsTeam
International Star704No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2024Oct 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
59922_1314445400.jpg
Rugby is like a hard game of chess!:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_59922.jpg

Quote: Geoff "No charge, quite rightly, he came in from behind.'"

Laughable from the RFL.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member32325
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
3076_1671446335.jpg
SAINTS THE ORIGINAL AND PERENNIAL CHEATS For sale full Saints kit (circa 1989). Shirts in pristine condition, but shorts badly soiled. For 27 - 0 you get a trophy For 75 - 0 you get sod all. Wigan had eight in a row Saints have five in a row:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_3076.jpg

Quote: SecondRowSaint "Laughable from the RFL.'"

Why?
Isa came in from behind and above the knee. It didn't look good on first viewing but watching it again it was legal. Whether that needs to be changed is another debate. And if so how?

RankPostsTeam
International Star513
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Apr 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Rogues Gallery "Why?
Isa came in from behind and above the knee. It didn't look good on first viewing but watching it again it was legal. Whether that needs to be changed is another debate. And if so how?'"

So you are saying it was fine ? I disagree,it was targeting the leg of a stationary player being held up by two other players,no pentalty given. Amor hits Tompkins on the ground,a fair hit by the way,but gets penalised,Leuluai slides in with his feet,nothing given but worth a caution from the disciplinary,also he raises his leg as a player is going past,nothing again.

The game at the moment is a joke a no try in the cup final is a try in another game,a crusher tackle in the cup final is 10 minutes in another game.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach16963No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2017Oct 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
44308_1279480467.gif
Mugwump mocking mental illness for a second time - "You are mentally ill and I can't indulge your madness any more" Utter disgusting abusive remark from a keyboard warrior:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_44308.gif

Quote: SecondRowSaint "Laughable from the RFL.'"

I've not seen it on tv as don't want to watch it back but from what I seen on the big screen I thought he came in from behind which is legal..

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5381
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
29557_1715786245.png
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_29557.png

Quote: St pete "I've not seen it on tv as don't want to watch it back but from what I seen on the big screen I thought he came in from behind which is legal..'"

Spot on Pete, that's exactly what happened and why there has been no further action. Unfortunately all this faux outrage is from people who don't actually know the rules of the sport and instead get up in arms about what they THINK should happen. The Isa incident was exactly right, the Amor penalty was also right (albeit a soft way to give away a penalty, I would agree), the Leuluai slide in was the only one that was given wrong...or not given at all in this case. I really wish people would read up on the rules before going off on one. The number of times I've read "cannonball tackle" in relation to this incident when it was nothing of the sort shows the depth of ignorance regarding the rules of the game.

RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2021Oct 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
187.jpg

Quote: Phuzzy "Spot on Pete, that's exactly what happened and why there has been no further action. Unfortunately all this faux outrage is from people who don't actually know the rules of the sport and instead get up in arms about what they THINK should happen. The Isa incident was exactly right, the Amor penalty was also right (albeit a soft way to give away a penalty, I would agree), the Leuluai slide in was the only one that was given wrong...or not given at all in this case. I really wish people would read up on the rules before going off on one. The number of times I've read "cannonball tackle" in relation to this incident when it was nothing of the sort shows the depth of ignorance regarding the rules of the game.'"

If you're going to pose as the voice of reason and knowledge, you need to have knowledge. The cannonball tackle is a grey area. There is no clear definition of what is and isn't a cannonball in the laws of the British game (check for yourself

Isa would have been penalised had this rule applied. Instead, while we wait for our law-drafters to catch up in this country, cannonball tackles can only be penalised under the catch-all sub-section (I) "behaves in any way contrary to the true spirit of the game."[/i

The disciplinary hearing - being entirely opaque and inexplicable as they often are - decided that Isa's tackle was not in contravention of this rule. It has nothing to do with some commentator-dreamt-up nonsense about behind the knee or in the crease, or any such rot. That's all meaningless tripe. For what it's worth, I think Isa was extremely lucky not to cause serious injury. His transgression was to come into the tackle at speed, when no speed was required (the carrier was stationary, and the ball held in the tackle). He was clearly trying to maximise impact on a stationary man, which is very dangerous when attacking the lower legs. I would have had no hesitation in sending him from the field were I reffing that match, on the grounds that it was at best negligent, and at worst a deliberate attempt to injure.

As for the Amor penalty, it shouldn't have been a penalty. There is no penalty for swinging an arm in RL. You can swing your arm as much as you like going into a tackle, as long as you don't make contact with the head. Amor didn't make contact with the head, and the man was not tackled. Indeed, had Amor not touched him, the correct decision would have been a penalty to Saints for a voluntary tackle, but you can wait a long time for one of those in this country, despite it being in the laws. It is true that Amor could have chosen to simply place a hand on the man on the ground to complete the tackle. So one could argue that there was a possible offence again under (I). But there is no offence for swinging an arm into the body of a player, whether standing up or lying down. Amor was penalised for doing something which is done in pretty much every single tackle in a game of rugby league. His real offence was that it seemed unnecessary.

What is odd, therefore, is that a harmless unnecessary act which contravened no laws either domestic or international (Amor) was penalised, while a potentially harmful unnecessary act which explicitly contravened international laws, but also has been held to be misconduct under section (I) in this country (Isa), was ignored.

I don't think the on-field decisions involved bias. I just think it was incompetence. You'd be surprised how many referees don't know the rules, and assume that there really are offences that commentators bang on about like "swinging arms". And Hicks had a poor match on Friday.

The decision of the disciplinary is bizarre, however. The squirrelling about exactly what angle the contact was with the leg is genuinely bizarre, given the way previous decisions have been based not on angles, but on the speed and impact with which the tackler attacks the leg, and the fact that everyone on that committee should have read the clear definition in the international rules, which Isa clearly transgressed. I can find no reason why the disciplinary would have ignored past precedent and international definitions other than to try to find a way of not banning Isa.

20 posts in 2 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Billinge_Lump , Saint Simon , BackrowSaint
20 posts in 2 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Billinge_Lump , Saint Simon , BackrowSaint

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

2.3828125:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Film game
karetaker
33m
Tonights match v HKR
Theeaststand
Recent
TV Games - Not Hull
Chris71
Recent
Huddsh
apollosghost
Recent
Transfer Talk / Rumour thread V4
RAPIDO
Recent
Bums on seats
The games af
Recent
Rhyse Martin Out 2025
redmuzza
Recent
BORED The Band Name Game
Boss Hog
Recent
Game - Song Titles
Boss Hog
Recent
Warrington h
MadDogg
FORUM
LAST
VIEW
TOPIC
POSTER
Recruitment rumours and links
rubber ducki
1m
ALL NEW 49ERS ERA LEEDS UTD THREAD
tad rhino
1m
DoR - New Coach - Investor & Adam - New signings
bonaire
1m
Planning for next season
LeythIg
1m
Dewsbury away
Trojan Horse
1m
Hull KR Top of the League With Stunning Win Over Warrington
RLFANS News
2m
Is Lokie On His Way
Bigtimeleigh
2m
Rumours thread
Trojan Horse
2m
Warrington h
MadDogg
2m
Hull KR Top of the League With Stunning Win Over Warrington
RLFANS News
FORUM
NEW
TOPICS
TOPIC
POSTER
York at home
phe13
TODAY
cats
the-bearded-
TODAY
Tonights match v HKR
Theeaststand
TODAY
New 4-year deal for Marshall
NickyKiss
TODAY
Keelan Foster
AdamH
TODAY
Jose Kenga
Wanderer
TODAY
Deadline day signings
Bully_Boxer
TODAY
Prediction Competition Week 21 plus rearranged game
kaybenbull
TODAY
Panthers v Knights
terry silver
TODAY
Barrow A
Betsy Bulls
TODAY
RFL disciplinary double standards
faxcar
TODAY
5 countries tender bids to host the 2030 RLWC
RobRiches
TODAY
Jack Welsby out for 8 weeks with injury
Huddersfield
TODAY
Dewsbury away
Trojan Horse
TODAY
Josh Jones
The Avenger
TODAY
Todays chairmans address
terry silver
TODAY
Mid Season fans forum
H.G.S.A
TODAY
Squad for HKR
Winslade's O
TODAY
Josh Jones
CarlB
TODAY
Lannon
faxcar
TODAY
Salford Away Travel Information 3/8/24
YosemiteSam
TODAY
Dons v Toulouse Saturday 10/8/24
Jemmo
TODAY
Sheffield v Dons Sunday 4/8/24 3pm
Double Movem
TODAY
Wakefield Trinity songs
JINJER
TODAY
Jeylon Hodgson
AdamH
TODAY
Squads - Tigers v Leopards
doc999
NEWS ITEMS
VIEWS
Hull KR Top of the League With..
Wakefield Trinity Back to Winn..
Catalans Dragons Defeat Hull F..
Salford Move Closer To Play Of..
Warrington Wolves Humiliate Wi..
Bill Arthur Rest In Peace..
Rhinos Comfortably Win Scrappy..
Battling Tigers Beat The Drago..
Hull KR Defeat Leeds In Headin..
Twelve Man Warrington Stun Sai..
2024 State of Origin - Game 3 ..
Wakefield March On With Win Ov..
Catalans Dragons Swap Places W..
KR win the Hull Derby to Into ..
Wigan Warriors Extend League L..
POSTSONLINEREGISTRATIONSRECORD
19.61M 2,806 80,09114,103
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.

When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
RLFANS Match Centre
 TODAY
     National Rugby League 2024-R22
06:00
Gold Coast
v
Brisbane
08:30
Melbourne
v
St.George
10:35
Cronulla
v
Souths
     Womens Super League 2024-R10
14:00
FeatherstoneW
v
LeedsW
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R20
15:00
Hull FC
v
St.Helens
       Championship 2024-R20
Swinton
v
Toulouse
17:30
Salford
v
Leeds
 TOMORROW
     National Rugby League 2024-R22
05:00
Penrith
v
Newcastle
07:05
Canterbury
v
Canberra
     Womens Super League 2024-R10
12:00
BarrowW
v
St.HelensW
Wire W
v
York V
WiganW
v
Hudds W
LondonB
v
Catalans
       League One 2024-R18
Keighley
v
Newcastle
Oldham
v
Midlands
Rochdale
v
Cornwall
Workington
v
Crusaders
       Championship 2024-R20
Barrow
v
Bradford
Dewsbury
v
Wakefield
Featherstone
v
Batley
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)
Matches on TV
Sat 3rd Aug
SL
Hull FC-St.Helens
SL
17:30
Salford-Leeds
Sun 4th Aug
SL
LondonB-Catalans
Thu 8th Aug
SL
20:00
St.Helens-Salford
Fri 9th Aug
SL
Huddersfield-Catalans
SL
Hull KR-Castleford
Sat 10th Aug
SL
Leeds-Wigan
Sun 11th Aug
SL
Leigh-Hull FC
SL
LondonB-Warrington
Sat 17th Aug
SL
19:30
Warrington-Leeds
SL
17:00
Wigan-St.Helens
SL
14:30
Hull FC-LondonB
Sun 18th Aug
SL
13:30
Leigh-Salford
SL
Catalans-Hull KR
SL
18:30
Huddersfield-Castleford
Fri 23rd Aug
SL
Castleford-Warrington
SL
Leeds-Catalans
Sat 24th Aug
SL
St.Helens-Hull KR
SL
14:00
Salford-Huddersfield
Sun 25th Aug
SL
LondonB-Leigh
Fri 2nd Aug
SL 20 Warrington4-22Hull KR
NRL 22 NZ Warriors20-30Parramatta
NRL 22 Dolphins34-40Sydney
Thu 1st Aug
SL 20 Castleford10-20Leigh
SL 20 Wigan26-14Huddersfield
NRL 22 Wests30-48NQL Cowboys
Sun 28th Jul
NRL 21 St.George10-46Penrith
NRL 21 Dolphins14-21Gold Coast
NRL 21 Canberra32-12Souths
CH 19 Batley16-22Halifax
CH 19 Doncaster37-30Barrow
CH 19 Sheffield78-24Whitehaven
CH 19 Wakefield46-18Featherstone
CH 19 Widnes25-6Bradford
CH 19 York34-4Swinton
L1 17 Newcastle34-44Cornwall
L1 17 Hunslet24-32Workington
L1 17 Keighley36-12Midlands
L1 17 Rochdale10-14Oldham
Sat 27th Jul
SL 19 Salford30-22Castleford
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Mens Betfred Super League XXVIII ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Hull KR 20 503 259 244 30
Wigan 19 495 258 237 30
Warrington 20 502 267 235 28
Catalans 19 366 274 92 24
Salford 19 355 366 -11 24
St.Helens 19 455 256 199 22

Leeds 19 355 342 13 20
Leigh 19 392 286 106 19
Huddersfield 20 350 453 -103 14
Castleford 20 336 523 -187 13
Hull FC 19 268 566 -298 6
LondonB 19 198 725 -527 2
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Betfred Championship 2024 ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wakefield 17 584 206 378 32
Sheffield 17 488 283 205 24
Toulouse 16 468 220 248 23
Widnes 17 410 307 103 21
Bradford 17 397 297 100 21
Doncaster 17 318 410 -92 17

York 18 428 345 83 16
Featherstone 17 440 359 81 16
Batley 17 284 366 -82 16
Swinton 17 342 422 -80 12