Jul 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
6310_1310045241.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_6310.jpg

My rant this week isn't going to be about our deluded Chairman or our woeful halfbacks or even our shambolic, unambitious recruitment. It's not even about how inept Childs was tonight or about how shocking our performance was. It's about the style of play we have.

To me it feels like the soul of our club died when we left Knowsley Road. We used to play the game at speed, everything was done quickly and in an exciting way. We had ambition, we tried things and we never knew when we were beaten. Even when we weren't the best we'd try to be. Offloads, attacking from deep, flowing moves, flair.

Now, its rinse and repeat one out barges by our overworked pack. Everything is slow, boring and regimented. There is no creativity, no passion, no ambition.

Personally I don't see any of this improving with KC and McManus in charge.

We need a coach that fist pumps and wears shades ASAP.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach16963No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2017Oct 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
44308_1279480467.gif
Mugwump mocking mental illness for a second time - "You are mentally ill and I can't indulge your madness any more" Utter disgusting abusive remark from a keyboard warrior:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_44308.gif

Quote: Saddened! "My rant this week isn't going to be about our deluded Chairman or our woeful halfbacks or even our shambolic, unambitious recruitment. It's not even about how inept Childs was tonight or about how shocking our performance was. It's about the style of play we have.

To me it feels like the soul of our club died when we left Knowsley Road. We used to play the game at speed, everything was done quickly and in an exciting way. We had ambition, we tried things and we never knew when we were beaten. Even when we weren't the best we'd try to be. Offloads, attacking from deep, flowing moves, flair.

Now, its rinse and repeat one out barges by our overworked pack. Everything is slow, boring and regimented. There is no creativity, no passion, no ambition.

We need a coach that fist pumps and wears shades ASAP.'"

I'm bored at the games. I find myself watching idiots in the crowd or messing on my phone as im so bored.

Hudds will put a score on us next week.

RankPostsTeam
International Star807No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 201410 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2019Mar 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Same here but it's nothing to do with the ground it's got everything to do with th ecoach and personel at the club. Just look at the impact Daryl Powell's had at Cas. He made Sneyd look like a international half last year and is doing the same with Gale this year. Attractive Rugby League played the right way and great recruitment.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach6767No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2024Apr 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Dwarfs, Gnomes, Halflings/GNOME2.JPG
The new young dynasty of super saints is coming to a ground near you. Welsby-Dodd-Simms-Eaves-Rizzelli, not Eastmond...the future is coming.:Dwarfs, Gnomes, Halflings/GNOME2.JPG

Quote: Saddened! "

'"

The one thing that annoyed me the most was when Hull just scored were 8 points up with 9 mins to go, the Saints players just strolled up very slowly to the centre spot, they might as well just waved a white flag, no urgency, passion or will to get back in the game.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach885No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2021Jun 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

LMS having a right go at Percival who in turn had a go at Fleming in the first five minutes wasn't good to see.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach7498
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2023Feb 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
15174_1377541021.gif
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_15174.gif

Quote: St pete "I'm bored at the games. I find myself watching idiots in the crowd or messing on my phone as im so bored.

Hudds will put a score on us next week.'"

I and plenty others agree going by the atmosphere tonight. We are an incredibly boring team to watch, this forum seriously needs renaming.

www.threedrivesandakick.net
Quote: St pete "I'm bored at the games. I find myself watching idiots in the crowd or messing on my phone as im so bored.

Hudds will put a score on us next week.'"

I and plenty others agree going by the atmosphere tonight. We are an incredibly boring team to watch, this forum seriously needs renaming.

www.threedrivesandakick.net

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member5816
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2019Oct 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2189.gif
"Do you fancy a drink, I know a place called the brink, D'ya wanna go there?" "The only bloke in Harpurhey who wasn't at the Lesser Free Trade Hall, y'all.":2189.gif

I preferred us when we had no half backs.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner17226No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2019Mar 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
6731_1299024498.jpg
[quote="King Street Cat":1wa9s43t]Some might look at this as being harsh but I think it's fair. When are the Rugby League going to stop persisting with this fantasy expansion. If it hasn't worked by now, it never will! I'm all for reaching out to a wider audience with our game but not at the expense of historical clubs in the homelands.[/quote:1wa9s43t]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_6731.jpg

Quote: MickeyMo "I preferred us when we had no half backs.'"
This is what happens when teams sign below-average, reserve-grade standard Australians and expect them to be good just because they're Australian.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach899No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2019Feb 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Saddened! "My rant this week isn't going to be about our deluded Chairman or our woeful halfbacks or even our shambolic, unambitious recruitment. It's not even about how inept Childs was tonight or about how shocking our performance was. It's about the style of play we have.

We need a coach that fist pumps and wears shades ASAP.'"

I agree with a lot of that mate.

It hasn't got anything to do with moving grounds though. I believe the entertainers tag was lost the day Sean Long moved on and we never replaced him. He, and Bobby Goulding before him gave us personality and character.

This might sound ridiculous but I believe that when you have an exciting half back, the team starts to mirror him in a way. Sean Long and Bobby Goulding had us ticking over like a dream. When they were injured and others stepped in, even with star players like Newlove, Lyon, Sculthorpe, Cunningham, Martyn etc we just looked a bit one dimensional. We still had enough quality to win games but it wasn't pretty.

We never replaced Longy. Eastmond was injured a fair bit and although people will disagree, I don't think he was great at guiding the team around the park. Lomax was proven to not be a natural scrum half. Gaskell never worked out either. We weren't interested in Matty Smith.

We bought Walsh in, and he looked good for a while when he was fit and we all know what happened after that. Was/is he the typical exciting, daft as brush, maverick style half back that we've got used to as Saints fans over the years? I don't think he is or was.

I wish we'd have coughed up for a Brough or a Kevin Brown...

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach16963No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2017Oct 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
44308_1279480467.gif
Mugwump mocking mental illness for a second time - "You are mentally ill and I can't indulge your madness any more" Utter disgusting abusive remark from a keyboard warrior:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_44308.gif

Quote: headhunter "This is what happens when teams sign below-average, reserve-grade standard Australians and expect them to be good just because they're Australian.'"

The is more below average overseas to come in 2016.

RankPostsTeam
International Star3811
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
60223_1310112970.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_60223.jpg

I wasn't at the game on Friday as I'm on holiday but I take it we rolled out the 3 drives, drop off and an early kick tactics again?

For us to play that way with Sean Long on the coaching staff really does baffle me. He must be tearing his hair out. It's awful to watch and will simply not work for us.

For a start we don't have good enough kickers in our side to pin teams down in their half. Kicking on the 4th is pointless when the kick is going straight down the opposition's throats.

My biggest moan at the minute though is this obsession with the drop off. There was an example in the Catalans game when we were about 8 behind with 10 minutes left. It was the 4th tackle and we were 20 yards out. Our "move" of choice was to hit Greg Richards with a drop off back into the middle of the field. It's completely and utterly clueless. For KC to coach that is shocking, but surely Walsh and Burns need to take some responsibility and realise that a certain element of "off the cuff" has to be expected in those situations?

Our pack is good enough to win us a lot of games and put us where we are in the table, but we need to do more when it matters most. Losing games is one thing but losing them playing an absolutely terrible brand of rugby just leaves a really bad taste.

Perhaps KC has watched us win the GF last year with fairly basic tactics and has assumed he can repeat that. That's a very short-sighted approach and one that is now in danger of backfiring massively and has us looking over our shoulder at the teams in 4th and 5th.

Looking at our squad on paper at the start of the year I was convinced we were the team to beat. A big aggressive pack, 2 out and out half backs for the first time in years and exciting young 3/4s.

I really can't believe we've allowed it to get to this point.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach16963No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2017Oct 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
44308_1279480467.gif

Quote: The Yellow Giraffe "I wasn't at the game on Friday as I'm on holiday but I take it we rolled out the 3 drives, drop off and an early kick tactics again?

For us to play that way with Sean Long on the coaching staff really does baffle me. He must be tearing his hair out. It's awful to watch and will simply not work for us.

For a start we don't have good enough kickers in our side to pin teams down in their half. Kicking on the 4th is pointless when the kick is going straight down the opposition's throats.

My biggest moan at the minute though is this obsession with the drop off. There was an example in the Catalans game when we were about 8 behind with 10 minutes left. It was the 4th tackle and we were 20 yards out. Our "move" of choice was to hit Greg Richards with a drop off back into the middle of the field. It's completely and utterly clueless. For KC to coach that is shocking, but surely Walsh and Burns need to take some responsibility and realise that a certain element of "off the cuff" has to be expected in those situations?

Our pack is good enough to win us a lot of games and put us where we are in the table, but we need to do more when it matters most. Losing games is one thing but losing them playing an absolutely terrible brand of rugby just leaves a really bad taste.

Perhaps KC has watched us win the GF last year with fairly basic tactics and has assumed he can repeat that. That's a very short-sighted approach and one that is now in danger of backfiring massively and has us looking over our shoulder at the teams in 4th and 5th.
I
Looking at our squad on paper at the start of the year I was convinced we were the team to beat. A big aggressive pack, 2 out and out half backs for the first time in years and exciting young 3/4s.

I really can't believe we've allowed it to get to this point.[/

I've been saying it for weeks about this drop off. It seems the only play we do as well as the short ball to Greenwood which teqms now have noticed and stop it. The inside/short ball is just basic school boy stuff and we don't even execute it well enough. It can work if done proper but burns/walsh ain't taking it to the line, they dropping them off 2m away from the line so it's not turning the defence.

Leeds didnt a very good inside ball move last week where peacock turned it inside to Hardaker and it was executed to perfection and leeds scored off it. That's 36yr old prop Jamie peacock doing what out halves can't do.

I've not seen a team look so clueless in my life. It's worse than the simmons days.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach6767No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2024Apr 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Dwarfs, Gnomes, Halflings/GNOME2.JPG
The new young dynasty of super saints is coming to a ground near you. Welsby-Dodd-Simms-Eaves-Rizzelli, not Eastmond...the future is coming.:Dwarfs, Gnomes, Halflings/GNOME2.JPG

Quote: The Yellow Giraffe "

I really can't believe we've allowed it to get to this point.'"

Its baffling for me as well that Sean Long has not taken over our attacking structure, look what he did with Salford over his short period there. KC should be looking at our defence which is one big massive turnstile at the moment. For around 3 or 4 games now his post match comments have concerned the team playing dumb, so maybe its not all down to the game plan but very bad half back executions.

I can,t see how our game is going to improve with a one out pass flat attack, the opposition are just getting an easy ride on there defensive set, again the half backs and hooker have got to get players running in from deep with a bit of pace and momentum. Greenwood and LMS are looking far less effective these last couple of games, there is only Vea who can operate in this restrictive way.

With our half backs so much out of form and having no replacements, KC has got his hands tied and we are stuck until Wikin comes back in the side.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain324No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 20159 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2020May 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Sean Long being appointed defensive coach pretty much sums up KC's reign so far; baflling and wrong.

RankPostsTeam
International Star2681No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2017Jul 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
58216_1342011610.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_58216.jpg

I have agreed with every comment on this thread. It's not often that you find a general consensus on these pages so that, for me anyway, says a hell of a lot.

If we can all see it then surely the coaches can see it? What worries me is that Cunningham took charge after Royce was sacked and we played the same tripe we are serving up now. I can't see anything changing over the next couple of weeks and we are facing the prospect of not winning a game in the super 8s if this carries on. Some tough fixtures to follow.

46 posts in 4 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Billinge_Lump , Saint Simon , BackrowSaint
46 posts in 4 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Billinge_Lump , Saint Simon , BackrowSaint

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.578125:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Round 17 Warrington Away
christopher
21m
Bradford Away 140724
RealSteel89
26m