FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

FORUMS > St. Helens > What went well and what didnt go well?
21 posts in 2 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Billinge_Lump , Saint Simon , BackrowSaint
RankPostsTeam
International Chairman12738No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2024Aug 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
16.jpg
:16.jpg

This is not regard to the match itself but things like Journey to and from the ground, facilities in the ground etc.

What went well

The programme was excellent.
Despite a large crowd, the queues at the bars were not huge and service was relatively quick
lots of signs directing traffic on were to park
Dry and relatively comfortable seat in the North stand
Large choice of food available in the bars
Well staffed bars, all in very smart looking outfits, calling people sir, and generally being polite.
The stadium can generate a good atmosphere.
The pitch stood up magnificently despite the heavy rain.
Big crowd. All the home stands were well populated with speccies.

What didnt go well.

Large queues of people both before and after the match walking directly down the side of Tesco's rather than using the wide Boulevard. This narrow path should be blocked off on matchday to force people to use the wide path. This would then aid pedestrian flows to and from the stadium.

The PA system was variable. You could hear Stu clear as a bell, but the other guy sounded like he had been gagged
Concourses soaking wet.

Couldnt hear the hooter either at half time or full time. Do we even have a hooter?

The home terrace was very quiet. lots of work needed on singing.

The flag positions were crap you could barely see them.

large queues at some turnstile blocks while others were virtually empty. This was because fans were advised to use specific turnstiles. Home fans tend to congregate on the western side of the ground so the North west and South west blocks had big queues while the North East and South East blocks were relatively sply filled. Certainly with the North stand there should be no problem going through either turnstile block.

Mega busy crossing the bridge post match, with IMO inadequate crowd control from the police in this area. Perhaps they should look how the Met control crowds down Wembley way. It certainly has that type of post match tide of people feel to it. Another 6000 people heading home that way after the Wigan/Wire games could be interesting. Especially if home and away fans are mixed in. All it needs are a few idiots and it could cause a very dangerous situation eg stampede/crush.

They ran out of Saints gold before the match and also had shortages of hot dogs etc due to demand probably being higher than anticipated. Hopefully this game will give Saints an idea on likely sales.

Not all the bars serve Ale, and its not very clear which do and which dont.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner29210No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
6310_1310045241.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_6310.jpg

Which end of the North Stand were you at? We were near the 20 at the away end and the bar queues didn't move at all. Or did you go pre-game when it was quieter?

Good point about the PA system. Absolutely terrible. Turn it up or add more speakers. Couldn't hear Mrs Rimmer, couldn't hear the post try music and the talking soundedlike it was a couple of fields away at a festival.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach16963No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200916 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2017Oct 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
44308_1279480467.gif
Mugwump mocking mental illness for a second time - "You are mentally ill and I can't indulge your madness any more" Utter disgusting abusive remark from a keyboard warrior:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_44308.gif

I don't think the queues at the bars was small and I certainly don't think the staff was fast, I was in line for good 25 mins while being stood in puddles which made the concrete floor very slippy.

Other than that, I thought it went well.

Oh, the PA system was crap.

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman12738No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2024Aug 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
16.jpg
:16.jpg

Quote: Saddened! "Which end of the North Stand were you at? We were near the 20 at the away end and the bar queues didn't move at all. Or did you go pre-game when it was quieter?

Good point about the PA system. Absolutely terrible. Turn it up or add more speakers. Couldn't hear Mrs Rimmer, couldn't hear the post try music and the talking soundedlike it was a couple of fields away at a festival.'"

I went to the bar near the away end of the North stand. took a few mins and got served. This was at about 19:40
Didnt go down at half time as thats always going to be manic whichever ground you are in.
Remember the staff are all learning their job, so it will take them time to get upto full speed and into a routine.
The other thing you could do is walk round the stands and get a drink in the away end if you felt like it. One of the bars in the Widnes end was all but deserted.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach184No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2014Aug 2013LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
16642_1285586773.jpg
"If the only tool you have is a hammer, everything starts to look like a nail." Abraham Maslow:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_16642.jpg

I was stood in water nearly ankle-deep in the queue for the North Stand bar (Aussie) pre-match for 20mins and eventually gave up so as not to miss the KO.
Bar staff inept & disorganised - possibly 'teething' problems.

Tannoy very poor & couldn't hear the 'hooter'.

Scoreboard display too small - would need binoculars to read the clock from North stand 'C'.

Huge 'bottlenecks' to the pedestrian flow leaving the stadium - side of Tesco & bridge approach.

But, hey, the stadium's great and the pitch is fantastic.
(Not so sure about the team though).

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member1005No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200322 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2015Feb 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
4598_1364572191.jpg
www.mancuniansrl.com:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_4598.jpg

Generally love it.

Less good - wet concourse, speakers and some odd stewarding.

But love it.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2931No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2017Mar 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
15252_1297730111.jpg
[color=#FF0000:dd3r80vu][b:dd3r80vu]I HATE ALL THE PIES[/b:dd3r80vu][/color:dd3r80vu]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_15252.jpg

Negatives:
1.The bar I was at in the north stand ran out of change so no-one got served for about 10 mins; some of the people in the queue were getting quite "verbal" about it. The service when resumed was really slow. They can only get better.

2. The concourse was sopping. Sureley this can't be allowed in the long term.

3. Did we have a P.A. or hooter at all?

4. We tried to get in at turnstyle no 21 in the north stand but the tickets were turnstyle specific so had to go to 25 where there were long queues because two of turnstyles broke down. The turnstyle specific was turned off at Widnes after the first few games last year enabling you to enter at any appropriate turnsyle.

Positives:
1. The beer was pretty good and not a bad price at £2.80

2. Excellent views from our seats

3. The atmosphere was much better than widnes in our opinion

4. Traffic flowed really well before and after the game (at least from the peaslet cross road side of the ground).

Overall - an excellent stadium to be proud of with some teething troubles which will all be sorted out in coming weeks/months/years

RankPostsTeam
International Star1343No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2014Oct 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
52961_1317652331.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_52961.jpg

To echo most others' opinions reallyGood
Decent seats and legroom
Good views
Stayed dry (at least in the South stand)
Fantastic burgers
Quick and easy escape post-game both on foot and in car
Player profiles 'round concourse
Nice loos
Lovely programme

Bad
Shocking bar service
Terrible PA
Slightly ridiculous looking mini-scoreboard
Awful and woefully misjudged pre-match "entertainment"
Asthmatic hamsters instead of hand-dryers
Terrible (hopefully pre-season only) atmos - even worse than Widnes
Variable stewarding (lots of people with standing tickets were made to sit in the North stand apparently instead as anyone and their dog were allowed unchecked onto the West stand until it was crammed full)

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach479No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2014Apr 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

What went well:

Easy to get in and helpful stewards on the South Stand
Views from the seats are great and nice and dry in the South Stand
Legroom is excellent unlike other so called modern stadia
Pitch in excellent condition after the game considering the amount of rain and inclement weather recently.
New players making their Saints debut
The artwork of the players on the Concourses is excellent

What didn't go well and areas for improvement:

Pre match entertainment was not the best
PA system must be the one from Knowsley Road
The Hooter sounds like it has a throat infection, nowhere near loud enough
Scoreboard is far too small
I hope the lights under the stands are fixed well. (I guarantee It will only be a matter of time before a player kicking for touch on a penalty smashes one of the lights to bits showering the supporters.
The "I want a bit of the limelight" appearance and grandstanding by a certain Mrs Rimmer. Totally embarrasing and sycophancy at its worst. eusa_sick.gif

RankPostsTeam
Administrator21082
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 199925 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
8589_1512921015.jpg
[img:rn9g3499]//forums.rlfans.com/images/sigbanner2.png[/img:rn9g3499]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_8589.jpg

Administrator

I think generally we had a great night, took my father in law as my dad couldnt make this one, he was well impressed with the stadium, you forget how good it is, until fresh eyes see it.

The main concerns for me, and none of this is to do with the C word or the weather as thats by the by at an outdoor arena.

Being fairly low down in the south stand due to my dad having problems up steps, we missed 3 tries due to saints players and their support staff standing on the pitch instead of in the section in front of their seats, these where tries and play down in southstand away end area. We just couldn't see anything, and we are quite a way from this area, I can only imagine what it was like for the next section along whose view was probably more impaired.

The PA was poor at best as has been said, but to not have to listen to rimmer (not that i've got anything against her, but she does go on) was a godsend, and the hooter need to be the proper load rugby league hooter not the piff that sounded. The pre match just needed to be the cheerleaders, quite why anything else needs to be put on is beyond me, keep the cash Saints.

The bar ran out of most pies prior to the match, and the queues where long, but the staff where trying their best and it's first night for them so no worries.

The queues when the turnstyles opened on Southstand entrance where huge but we walked around the stadium and all the other turnstyles where empty, it's almost like everyone was sent to the one turnstyle.

The walk back to the bridge was potentially dangerous, the path down tescos side was chocker but the main path hardly used and the stretch over the bridge was busy and I can forsee issues here if a system is not in place, probably not an issue for saints.

I think in general it was an EXCELLENT night and everything felt good generally for me, the club should be proud of a job well done.

Another great thing was that I thought the atmosphere was better than any friendly i've been to in years, despite the fact it was bit of a lacklustre performance on the pitch.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner5852
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200421 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Ahh Tesco Building St Helens & Warrington's future Destroying Wigans past "Viva Ben Flower, Viva Ben Flower, could have won the cup but you Messed it up Viva Ben Flower":

What went well

!st time visit and was very impressed with the stadium and immaculate playing surface
Turnstiles were super fast
Saints Gold Bitter is lovely (very strong)
Loved the walk inside around the concourse

Negatives

Not enough bar staff waited too long to get served in Founders Bar & under the West Stand
Can't wait for the Cladding to be put up as it was blowing a gale with the floor in the concourse soaking wet
West stand was over packed near me and people were standing in the isles and you could not get passed, later on they were moved to the north stand?
Will the West & East hold the 4500 allocated?????????
PA system was rubbish you could not hear it
Final hooter the same it needs to be louder

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member11377
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2960.jpg
:2960.jpg

Hopefully someone will forward the comments in this thread to someone at saints so they know the recurring themes

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach16963No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200916 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2017Oct 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
44308_1279480467.gif
Mugwump mocking mental illness for a second time - "You are mentally ill and I can't indulge your madness any more" Utter disgusting abusive remark from a keyboard warrior:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_44308.gif

Quote: FearTheVee "Hopefully someone will forward ask three comments in this thread to someone at saints so they know the reviewing themes'"

I expected teething problems with the bar staff, it's new to them and no matter how much training they have done its still tough for their first night with 12,000 fans and I'm pretty sure after few home games it will be right as rain. Don't forget, everyone wanted to test out the beer, saints gold, burgers etc, wgen the season kicks off most will be having pre match beers in the pub.

The PA system was utter rubbish but again, it's a easy problem to fix and found it strange as the PA on the open training event was very very loud.

The main problem for me and IMO is a huge health & saftey risk is the amounts of rain water on the floor in the bar areas, in some areas it was pretty deep and was very slippy. IMO that's the only thing that pests this great rugby stadium and and I think it's a huge problem that needs sorting ASAP!

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach6767No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Apr 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Dwarfs, Gnomes, Halflings/GNOME2.JPG
The new young dynasty of super saints is coming to a ground near you. Welsby-Dodd-Simms-Eaves-Rizzelli, not Eastmond...the future is coming.:Dwarfs, Gnomes, Halflings/GNOME2.JPG

I expected to get through the turnstile quicker, might be better when majority use the swipe card.
Did notice one thing when leaving the concourse to take your seat, every entrance there where 2 stewards standing in front of the seating signs so that you can,t read them.
Those first 3 rows of the South Stand very wet, wouldn't,t like to be seated there.
On the positive side, it's a great stadium and have no doubt it's functionality will improve as we progress into the season.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member25689No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2016Mar 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
1617.jpg
[quote="Meyt N Prater Pie"]I think I hate wigan.[/quote]:1617.jpg

In general the ground is really good, views will be good everywhere, the concourses are big which allows good movement and there's a variety of bars and kiosks within the stadium. The walk over the bridge to Langtree Park is superb, it's the type of thing you'd expect at Wembley anmd when you hit the corner of the south stand it really is a beautiful arena to look at especially with KC's statue prominant too.

All 3 stands need to be cladded asap, the North Stand concourse was a disgrace last night and it takes away from what a fantastic stadium we have in the main. We're in England not Tenerife and our games are at 8pm on a Friday night, it will rain even in the summer months. I can't believe Saints aren't intending on cladding this, this decision needs to be revised asap, the stand is potentially dangerous. It only takes one person to slip (which was highly possible in a stand full of puddles last night) and the club will get sued. If we were living in a hot country I'd understand but we're not. The wind sweeping in from the sides makes for a cold night with the stadium being so open currently. For me it's the biggest let down and HAS to be sorted as a priorty. There was also a problem with leaving the ground as it bottlenecks near tesco and takes an age to get back into town. A minor problem as I didn't evene think myself how busy it'd be, but maybe Saints could look into ways of traffic flow from when fans leave the stadium to allow for it to be easier. Also the lack of lighting near tesco makes it dark and dangerous IMO.

21 posts in 2 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
21 posts in 2 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

4.328125:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Squad 2024
SingaporeFax
20m
Hudds
Deadcowboys1
Recent
Game - Song Titles
Wanderer
Recent
BORED The Band Name Game
Wanderer
Recent
Film game
Wanderer
Recent
Odsal lease up for sale
Wigan Bull
Recent
Sheffield A
Wigan Bull
Recent
Hull KR H
NickyKiss
Recent
Recruitment rumours and links
Boss Hog
Recent
Whitehaven
phe13
FORUM
LAST
VIEW
TOPIC
POSTER
Hull live/Tomlinson
The Dentist
2m
BORED The Band Name Game
Wanderer
4m
RD 25 Hull FC H
christopher
4m
DoR - New Coach - Investor & Adam - New signings
Roam Ranger
5m
Game - Song Titles
Wanderer
6m
Recruitment rumours and links
Boss Hog
6m
Leeds Rhinos - Away
Dave K.
6m
Play offs
newcat
7m
Transfer Talk / Rumour thread V4
Emagdnim13
7m
Staying down after head contact
Jake the Peg
FORUM
NEW
TOPICS
TOPIC
POSTER
2024 Southstandercom Prediction Competition Week 26
FoxyRhino
TODAY
7pm
PopTart
TODAY
Who do we want in the play-offs
rubber ducki
TODAY
Tomkins last chance
Big Steve
TODAY
Ken Rollin
PopTart
TODAY
Max
PopTart
TODAY
Play-offs
Deeeekos
TODAY
Highlights v Whitehaven
Dunkirk Spir
TODAY
Play offs
newcat
TODAY
George Williams
just_browny
TODAY
WIRE YED Prediction Competition Huddersfield Away
Old Man John
TODAY
Huddersfield Giants Hold Off London Challenge
RLFANS News
TODAY
Salford Close In On The Play Offs As Dragons Crisis Continues
RLFANS News
TODAY
Batley v Dons - Sunday 8 September 2024
AdamH
TODAY
Staying down after head contact
Jake the Peg
TODAY
Broncos Ladies
Deadcowboys1
TODAY
OT players staying down but staying on after treatment
djcool
TODAY
Hull live/Tomlinson
The Dentist
TODAY
Todays match v Saints
ratticusfinc
TODAY
New England RL shirt
The Curtism
TODAY
Reserves Grand Final
Zig
TODAY
Shareholder meetings
Dunkirk Spir
TODAY
Leigh Leopards Up To Fourth After Defeating Castleford Tigers
RLFANS News
NEWS ITEMS
VIEWS
Huddersfield Giants Hold Off L..
Salford Close In On The Play O..
Leigh Leopards Up To Fourth Af..
Leeds Rhinos Into the Six Afte..
Wigan Warriors Defeat Hull KR ..
Wane Names Provisional Squad f..
Leeds Rhinos Ride Their Luck F..
Wigan Warriors Level Top As Ca..
Castleford Tigers Inflict Anot..
Leigh Into the Six After Beati..
Five Into Three - Our Top Six ..
Leigh Leopards Lay Claim To Pl..
Salford Up To Fourth After Dem..
Hull KR Embarrass Saints As Th..
Rhinos Sweep Past the Dragons ..
POSTSONLINEREGISTRATIONSRECORD
19.63M 2,955 ↓-4880,11314,103
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.

When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
RLFANS Match Centre
 Fri 13th Sep
     National Rugby League 2024-R28
10:50
Penrith
v
Sydney
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R26
20:00
Leigh
v
Hull KR
St.Helens
v
Castleford
Wigan
v
Leeds
 Sat 14th Sep
07:05
Melbourne
v
Cronulla
10:50
NQL Cowboys
v
Newcastle
     Womens Super League 2024-R14
14:00
FeatherstoneW
v
York V
St.HelensW
v
BarrowW
15:00
Hull FC
v
Salford
       Championship 2024-R26
Barrow
v
Whitehaven
Bradford
v
Batley
Dewsbury
v
Swinton
Doncaster
v
Widnes
Featherstone
v
Sheffield
Wakefield
v
York
17:00
Toulouse
v
Halifax
Catalans
v
LondonB
 Sun 15th Sep
07:05
Canterbury
v
Manly
     Womens Super League 2024-R14
12:00
WiganW
v
LeedsW
Hudds W
v
Wire W
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)
Matches on TV
Fri 13th Sep
SL
Leigh-Hull KR
SL
St.Helens-Castleford
SL
Wigan-Leeds
Sat 14th Sep
SL
Hull FC-Salford
SL
Catalans-LondonB
Sun 15th Sep
SL
Huddersfield-Warrington
Fri 20th Sep
SL
Huddersfield-Castleford
SL
Hull FC-Catalans
SL
Hull KR-Leeds
SL
Leigh-St.Helens
SL
Warrington-LondonB
SL
Wigan-Salford
Sun 27th Oct
MINT2024
14:30
England M-Samoa M
Sat 2nd Nov
MINT2024
14:30
England M-Samoa M
Sun 8th Sep
SL 25 Huddersfield22-16LondonB
WSL2024 13 LeedsW52-12FeatherstoneW
WSL2024 13 BarrowW24-4Hudds W
WSL2024 13 WiganW12-16York V
CH 25 Batley0-38Doncaster
CH 25 Halifax34-6Dewsbury
CH 25 Sheffield12-30Bradford
CH 25 Swinton28-8Featherstone
CH 25 Wakefield60-6Whitehaven
CH 25 Widnes6-12York
NRL 27 Manly20-40Cronulla
NRL 27 Newcastle14-6Dolphins
Sat 7th Sep
SL 25 Warrington16-2St.Helens
SL 25 Salford27-12Catalans
WSL2024 13 Wire W0-98St.HelensW
CH 25 Barrow24-36Toulouse
NRL 27 St.George24-26Canberra
NRL 27 Canterbury6-44NQL Cowboys
NRL 27 Penrith18-12Gold Coast
Fri 6th Sep
SL 25 Castleford12-34Leigh
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Mens Betfred Super League XXVIII ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wigan 25 619 336 283 40
Hull KR 25 669 311 358 38
Warrington 25 618 319 299 36
Salford 25 492 479 13 30
Leigh 25 548 362 186 29
St.Helens 25 544 366 178 28

Leeds 25 514 424 90 28
Catalans 25 439 415 24 26
Huddersfield 25 434 582 -148 18
Castleford 25 411 661 -250 15
Hull FC 25 320 812 -492 6
LondonB 25 309 850 -541 6
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Betfred Championship 2024 ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wakefield 23 872 252 620 44
Bradford 23 602 359 243 30
Toulouse 22 624 322 302 29
Widnes 23 499 403 96 27
York 24 609 419 190 26
Featherstone 23 560 452 108 26

Sheffield 23 574 466 108 26
Doncaster 23 440 513 -73 21
Halifax 23 457 579 -122 20
Batley 23 364 497 -133 20