FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

FORUMS > St. Helens > Will we beat Leeds in 2015?
61 posts in 5 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Billinge_Lump , Saint Simon , BackrowSaint
SLS
RankPostsTeam
International Star265No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 201410 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2016Nov 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: ThePrinter "Not dismissing Saints' chances but it doesn't alter the results between us so far.

To ignore the turnaround thing is kind of head in sand stuff though. To claim their's a equal list of short turnaround wins neither holds up or highlights not every one of those will be a game between 1st vs 2nd in a cup semi final. You can't honestly believe an extra two days rest for Leeds (or even two days less for Saints) wouldn't alter a thing about the game?

As for the injuries. You get a 2nd rower get injured then you roll another 2nd row on in a straight swap. Aiton who defends in the traditional hooker position in the middle making 30/40 tackles goes off and the 'replacement' in Burrow comes on and defends next to Hall and everyone has to move in one. Imagine Roby going off and his replacement has to defend out wide, what effect would that have on your props not having Roby (or a replacement) to defend with them in the middle? Very significant indeed.'"

You've beaten us fair and square on all three occasions.

I do believe the extra day or two is a red herring. I've seen us win Grand Finals after a fortnight off, I've seen us win without it. I've seen us lose to teams with a shorter turnaround and win in similar situations etc. Sure, in theory you'd have less energy but I think in games like this, adrenaline takes over. Second half, you were kicking to touch a lot anyhow because the manner in which you start games saps plenty from you.

Injuries, yeah they matter a lot. It's no excuse anyway, they happen and we get on with it. Vea was a huge loss in that particular game. He's quickly become a big part of our set up. I think we've only really recognised just how big he is for us in the couple of games since he's been back (and now gone). Like for like in theory but it takes something away.

Nevertheless, you won, we didn't. You deserved it. Good luck to you for the final and hopefully, we'll get another shot at you later in the season.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member7293
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2074_1714824298.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_2074.jpg

Quote: Mugwump "This is an assumption. The idea that somehow Saints' players have a kind of "mental block" which stops them from performing.

I mean, it SOUNDS plausible. But there's no evidence to prove this argument.

And before you say, [i"Well, look at the results"[/i - you are aware of the gambler's fallacy?

It's amazing how often when you look at the head-to-head winning performances of two clubs over a hundred years the figures are incredibly close. Makes you think ...'"

Looking at the results in Grand Finals, I'm not so sure either.

2007: Saints were pretty much blown off the park. Not sure if they just switched off that day, or what.
2008: Everyone expected the 'S' to steamroller Leeds, and Anderson definitely lost it at half time as famously seen on the Sky cameras. A good candidate for the mental weakness theory.
2009: Was really close. I don't think Saints bottled it.
2011: Leeds definitely showed superior mental toughness in the last quarter, when Saints failed to kick on from the lead they had built up. Shenton's injury should have been better covered for.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member9565No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2019Dec 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
fonds noir/Buzz Lightyear.gif
:fonds noir/Buzz Lightyear.gif

Wouldn't any such issue with Sts players have gone with last year's win?

Besides which, 4 years is a long time in sport - had a quick look at the Leeds 2011 team and 7 players aren't at the club any more. I expect Sts would be similar if not even more changed.

If Leeds meet Sts in the GF I don't think players from either side would make much of the previous GFs TBH, even if the media do.

RankPostsTeam
Administrator25122No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2017May 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
7.gif
:7.gif

Quote: BrisbaneRhino "Wouldn't any such issue with Sts players have gone with last year's win?

Besides which, 4 years is a long time in sport - had a quick look at the Leeds 2011 team and 7 players aren't at the club any more. I expect Sts would be similar if not even more changed.

If Leeds meet Sts in the GF I don't think players from either side would make much of the previous GFs TBH, even if the media do.'"

Let's say it really is possible to have a "mental block" (I'm not ruling it out. All I'm saying is there's no concrete evidence)

Results show they don't last forever. I remember back in the 80s and early 90s when it seemed as though Saints were beaten every time they took the field against Wigan.

I mean, if you're mentally beaten after half-a-dozen major defeats logic suggests you're even more so with each successive defeat. But if that were really true Saints would never have beaten Wigan in the Premiership Final - which was the stepping stone for pretty much all of Saints' SL success.

The truth is that no matter how good the players, no matter how great the advantage - ANY side can experience "one of THOSE" days in a Grand Final where nothing seems to stick, every ricochet drops fortuitously for the opposition, one after another key player falls victim to injury or some idiot gets himself sent off.

Murphy's Law applies equally to Rugby League.

RankPostsTeam
International Star11412No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2021Jul 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

"The Golden Generation finally has its Golden Fleece! They have Wembley Cup Final winners medals to add to their collection." 23/08/2014:

I don't think it's a case of Saints having a mental block at Old Trafford, more a case Leeds having a knack of producing there. We did it again against Warrington in 2012.

That's why ANY opposition team could be wary of facing Leeds at Old Trafford if they get there. Not because they can't produce, but they know Leeds and Sinfield & co. do produce.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2931No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2017Mar 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
15252_1297730111.jpg
[color=#FF0000:dd3r80vu][b:dd3r80vu]I HATE ALL THE PIES[/b:dd3r80vu][/color:dd3r80vu]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_15252.jpg

Quote: ThePrinter "I don't think it's a case of Saints having a mental block at Old Trafford, more a case Leeds having a knack of producing there. We did it again against Warrington in 2012.

That's why ANY opposition team could be wary of facing Leeds at Old Trafford if they get there. Not because they can't produce, but they know Leeds and Sinfield & co. do produce.'"

At least you can't win from 5th any more!

61 posts in 5 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
61 posts in 5 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.490234375:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Toulouse A
Bully_Boxer
4m
Game - Song Titles
Boss Hog
6m