JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2011Jul 2011LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10602_1263933688.jpg
www.euronics.co.uk fail to prepare, prepare to fail impossible is nothing:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_10602.jpg

Quote: westjba "thought Smith had a cracking game, well played tonight Saints, hope our game tomorrow is as one sided, Wire looked shocking, shut them up good style, well done saints eusa_clap.gif
Love it how all teams hate Wire now, icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach16170No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2016Oct 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
40218_1286737075.jpg
Success is not final; failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts. (Winston Churchill):d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_40218.jpg

Quote: Cragganmore Kid "He was saintsational against Wire but he hasn't performed to this standard with Salford or Crusaders, or even Widnes, with any kind of regularity '"

How do you know? Have you watched him play in all his matches at those clubs? I'm curious because you state it with such certainty.

Quote: Cragganmore Kid "and the players you mention being plucked from lower teams were plucked because they stood out in those teams. '"

One playerSmith hasn't really, apart from the odd game.'"

Again, I wouldn't know as I haven't watched him. One thing I do know though is that Widnes, Crusaders and Salford don't have the forwards that we do and forwards are important to how well a halfback can play.

But maybe we will get the chance to find out if he can back up his performances in the semi. I doubt Potter will play him if both Eastmond and Lomax are 'fit' (because I don't actually believe either of them will actually [ibe[/i fit!). But if he does get the chance I hope he shows us what he can do a second time so that people stop calling him a journeyman! I think the only journey he has wanted to take is the one on to Knowsley Road pitch wearing the red vee.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach2794No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200520 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2016Jun 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
13011.gif
[color=red:17c7k77w][size=200:17c7k77w][b:17c7k77w]I READ THE AUP BUT PREFERRED THE MOVIE[/b:17c7k77w][/size:17c7k77w][/color:17c7k77w]:13011.gif

Quote: SaintsFan "How do you know? Have you watched him play in all his matches at those clubs? I'm curious because you state it with such certainty. '"

I've seen a fair few of them, and have mates who are Widnes season ticket holders (I know, you CAN pick your friends...) and I read the Salford and Crusaders forums. Not staking a claim to having seen every game, but if he was THAT good, I'm fairly sure I'd know.

Quote: SaintsFan "One player

I've not been too impressed with Myler, personally. But then, I wasn't that impressed with him at Salford. Decent support player sums him up, IMO.

I accept the forwards argument, but even in games that they have won where the forwards have laid the platform, Smith hasn't had the plaudits of, say, Robinson (while at Salford), Ratchford, Sammut, Brough (at Wakey), Orr (Cas) etc. Good players stand out, despite the lack of quality around them.

Quote: SaintsFan "But maybe we will get the chance to find out if he can back up his performances in the semi. I doubt Potter will play him if both Eastmond and Lomax are 'fit' (because I don't actually believe either of them will actually [ibe[/i fit!). But if he does get the chance I hope he shows us what he can do a second time so that people stop calling him a journeyman!'"

I wholeheartedly agree. I would love him to show us that he can play a major part in us winning the title. I will be the first on here to congratulate him.

Well, maybe not the first - there will be a LOT of beer to be drunk first.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach16170No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2016Oct 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
40218_1286737075.jpg
Success is not final; failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts. (Winston Churchill):d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_40218.jpg

Quote: Cragganmore Kid "I accept the forwards argument, but even in games that they have won where the forwards have laid the platform, Smith hasn't had the plaudits of, say, Robinson (while at Salford), Ratchford, Sammut, Brough (at Wakey), Orr (Cas) etc. Good players stand out, despite the lack of quality around them.'"

I don't remember any plaudits for Robinson; it's gone quiet over Ratchford since Myler left; Sammut is years older than Smith and has played NRL so really that comparison is unfair; Brough has pretty much disappeared at Hudds and was very moody at Wakey - if he played well, they all did; if he had a shocker (and he had those) then they all did; Orr - I didn't know he attracted plaudits? But anyway. We will see.

To be honest, I think ole Smithy has probably dug himself a bit of a hole. He now has to produce at least the same level of performance to convince people he's Good Enough. If he does get the chance to play next weekend, I hope he can rise to the pressure!

ETA: Bradford have apparently just signed Shad Royston from Halifax so I suppose that's another example of signing up!

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach901No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2017May 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: SaintsFan "I don't remember any plaudits for Robinson; it's gone quiet over Ratchford since Myler left; Sammut is years older than Smith and has played NRL so really that comparison is unfair; Brough has pretty much disappeared at Hudds and was very moody at Wakey - if he played well, they all did; if he had a shocker (and he had those) then they all did; Orr - I didn't know he attracted plaudits? But anyway. We will see.

To be honest, I think ole Smithy has probably dug himself a bit of a hole. He now has to produce at least the same level of performance to convince people he's Good Enough. If he does get the chance to play next weekend, I hope he can rise to the pressure!

ETA
Hes been struggling with injuries and has been played out of position for most of the season, he played in FB for our last game against Wakey though and he was class. Just to mention it while I'm on your board, you heard anything of Jon Wilkin to Salford? Was posted on the Wire board as a rumor that one of the Wire fans head I think, probably just a rumor though!

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach191
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2018Sep 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
40196_1498588300.jpg
[size=85:20ld09ej][color=#0000FF:20ld09ej][b:20ld09ej]Getting drunk today is simply a case of borrowing happiness from tomorrow![/b:20ld09ej][/color:20ld09ej][/size:20ld09ej]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_40196.jpg

Quote: SaintsFan "I don't remember any plaudits for Robinson; it's gone quiet over Ratchford since Myler left; Sammut is years older than Smith and has played NRL so really that comparison is unfair; Brough has pretty much disappeared at Hudds and was very moody at Wakey - if he played well, they all did; if he had a shocker (and he had those) then they all did; Orr - I didn't know he attracted plaudits? But anyway. We will see.

ETA

SaintFan, I'm a Salford fan and go to nearly every match home and away so I cannot really comment on Danny Brough's situation. With regards to Luke Robinson, Richie Myler and Stefan Ratchford I can.

Luke Robinson had one really good season with us and his second season was the season we were last relegated. When he was at his best he had Andrew Duneman at six. Andrew was a very good stand off both defensively and offensively and he brought Luke on in leaps and bounds. When Duneman left Luke tried to do it all himself and had no foil to create any meaningful gaps. This resulted in Luke running sideways all the time which also happened quite a lot at Huddersfield when he played at seven. Overall a good number seven when playing with a creative six.

Richie Myler I think will be a world class player much in the mould of Shaun Edwards, although I don't like comparing players of different era's. He is the best young player I've seen at Salford for many a year although in the recent past we don't get many. He was outstanding for us last year until all the rumours started regarding Warrington. He's a fantastic support player but he's also a gooid short kicker as well. I said when he moved that it was too soon for him to move. Young players in the main are more inconsistant and need games to make their mistakes and learn. Warrington won't give him the games if he's not performing week in and week out. Richie needs a playmaker and organiser playing alongside him and he'll be a fantastic player. Him and a more experienced Sam Tomkins in years to come would be a great combination.

Stefan Ratchford is one of my favourite players he is good at so many areas of his game. He's more of an all rounder than Robinson and Myler. I think he's more of a standoff than seven but he played his best rugby when playing alongside Richie Myler. They swapped first and second receiver which gave then more options, which in turn gave more space for Myler to create the gaps. I think Stefan could also play bat fullback as he's quite a tall lad and appears to read the game well. Unfortunately for him, but good for Salford as a Team we've got Daniel Holdsworth who's an outstanding No 6. This means Stefans favourite position is taken unless Holdsworth moves to 13.

Finally and by no means least is Matty Smith. I wasn't initailly happy when Matty wes played at 7 alongside Holdsworth and Stefan was shunted out onto the Wing (or Centre). He's been improving as he's played more games and gelled as a partnership with Holdsworth. He's been inconsistant but you'd expect that from a player that hasn't played many Super League games. His best for Salford was the Saints game at home where he was outstanding. I really enjoyed watching him playing for Saints last week where his short kicking game was superb and his playmaking was very good (considering he hasn't played in the Saints Team for two years). It shows what he is capable of when the forward pack make the yards, not something he's seen much of this year.

Hope the team do well and get to Old Trafford with Matty playing his part. I'll be there fo the great day out.

PS I've enjoyed reading this Matty Smith thread

232 posts in 16 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Billinge_Lump , Saint Simon , BackrowSaint
232 posts in 16 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Billinge_Lump , Saint Simon , BackrowSaint

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.2763671875:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Film game
karetaker
15m
Rumours thread
Trojan Horse
20m