FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

FORUMS > Leeds Rhinos > So tonight then.....
133 posts in 10 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach3813No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2020Feb 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Murray/McDermott combined team:

Harris

Hardaker
Watkins
Godden
Hall

Sinfield
McGuire

Masella
Jackson
Peacock
Morley
JJB
Glanville

Newton
McDermott
Fleary
Farrell

Bit of edge to that bench.

The coach would be Graham Murray, by the way.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member17230No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Nov 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
3043_1291817917.jpg
#frostiesbitches We know who you are.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_3043.jpg

Quote: craigizzard "Murray/McDermott combined team

Personally I would probably put Blackmore in there with Watkins on wing. We all know Watkins can be a great centre, but he's not really had the opportunity to show it yet, due to under utilising. Blackmore was very good, especially the 98 year, but also 99.

Would also have to get Powell in. He would get in this side now, so why not a combined. Probably drop JJB out, Farrell to start and Powell on bench.

But a good call on the others.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4979
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
27794.gif
[b:1zy5cey6]"...To those people that wrote this team off... to all those that criticised this team... tonight's for you" [/b:1zy5cey6] [i:1zy5cey6]Sir Kevin Sinfield[/i:1zy5cey6]:27794.gif

This side would definitely smash every opposing team into submission as it is one mutha of a collection of talented but very hard men

It also has 2 centre's that know how to supply their Wing men with quality ball, Watkins and Hall would score 30 tries each season without a doubt outside these two

Whilst in his prime i still believe that Harris is the most talented player in SL's History, He was almost impossible to defend against

1: Hardaker
2: Watkins
3: Blackmore
4: Godden
5: Hall
6: Harris
7: McGuire
8: Fleary
9: Newton
10: Peacock
11: Morley
12: Glanville
13: Sinfield
14: Burrow
15: Delaney
16: Farrell
17: McDermott

Coach: Muzza

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman35189No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2023Jun 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
1246_1686693825.jpeg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_1246.jpeg

Quote: The Biffs Back "This side would definitely smash every opposing team into submission as it is one mutha of a collection of talented but very hard men

It also has 2 centre's that know how to supply their Wing men with quality ball, Watkins and Hall would score 30 tries each season without a doubt outside these two

Whilst in his prime i still believe that Harris is the most talented player in SL's History, He was almost impossible to defend against

What, no Golden?

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach11658
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2018Aug 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
35138.jpg
Fat people are harder to kidnap.:35138.jpg

Quote: wilde-robin "boohoo

... but then I realised that after the game I was going home in Leeds and not back to the steaming cesspit of a sh*thole that is Hull and that made everything all right.

RankPostsTeam
International Star798
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2024Apr 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

I'll admit to not being McDermott's biggest fan. This is for no other reason than I think he's a poor head coach.

When he was first announced as takin over from Bluey I thought it was a good appointment (although Powell was my preferred choice). We saw what happened to the team when he went to London, and the impact he had. So I thought he'd come in and get our defence organised and attack fluid. Got to say it hasn't happened and left me thinking he's more of a number 2 (in the coaching sense).

We have a team full of top players - that goes without saying. And from what we hear, McDermott knows how to get into their heads and motivate them. I think this is great in the big matches which are intense, but in the weekly rounds it needs more than this.

Since he came in we haven't looked any more organised. Defence has been on fire in patches and and woeful at other times. And very rarely have we seen out attack really on fire and ripping teams open at will. Our passing is static, and players often look like they don't know where they should be or their role in the move. Which leads to a lack of dummy runners and predictable attack.

I'm not undermining KR's defensive effort on Friday, but we didn't really stretch them for 70 minutes. And this is disappointing. For childcare reasons, I don't get to as many games as I used to, but tbh, when I do get the chance to go I don't always want to. This is purely because of the spectacle on show. Our brand of rugby is quite boring and predictable which is sacrilege considering re attacking threats we have. But I'm left wondering what goes on during the week in training because it never seems to improve.

I absolutely love OT and the feeling of winning, but I know in not the only one to think that winning papers over cracks that have existed in our team for years. I really struggle to think of great 80 minute performances lately. And I don't mean where we've blown a team apart, but where we've clicked in attack and defence and looked well organised.

As much as sport is about loyalty, it's also about product. And right now the product at Headingley isn't living up to expectations - but I can't see it changing anytime soon.

On a side note, I thought the tribute to Graham Murray was fantastic, and it brought back happy memories of travelling all over to watch the team. How I miss the old grounds, particularly Central Park and Knowsley Road. That was a team that excited you.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2531No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2022May 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
15455_1318246892.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_15455.jpg

Quote: D4mo78 "I'll admit to not being McDermott's biggest fan. This is for no other reason than I think he's a poor head coach. '"

Good opinion given his success, player testaments and backing from the club....
Quote: D4mo78 "When he was first announced as takin over from Bluey I thought it was a good appointment (although Powell was my preferred choice). We saw what happened to the team when he went to London, and the impact he had. So I thought he'd come in and get our defence organised and attack fluid. Got to say it hasn't happened and left me thinking he's more of a number 2 (in the coaching sense). '"

You say this despite back to back grand final wins? I'd suggest that warrants being able to call yourself a head coach.
Quote: D4mo78 "We have a team full of top players - that goes without saying. And from what we hear, McDermott knows how to get into their heads and motivate them. I think this is great in the big matches which are intense, but in the weekly rounds it needs more than this. '"

Does it though? What's the incentive to win every week? Targeting the playoffs is how to win the GF. I don't blame the coach for the shortcomings of the Super League playoff system.
Quote: D4mo78 "Since he came in we haven't looked any more organised. Defence has been on fire in patches and and woeful at other times. And very rarely have we seen out attack really on fire and ripping teams open at will. Our passing is static, and players often look like they don't know where they should be or their role in the move. Which leads to a lack of dummy runners and predictable attack. '"

Again refer to my comments on our success. I'd also argue we've played many more good games this season with games like this Hull KR one certainly more of a minority event.
Quote: D4mo78 "I'm not undermining KR's defensive effort on Friday, but we didn't really stretch them for 70 minutes. And this is disappointing.
'"

This I can agree with. Its still disappointing losing to clubs like Hull KR.

Quote: D4mo78 "
For childcare reasons, I don't get to as many games as I used to, but tbh, when I do get the chance to go I don't always want to. This is purely because of the spectacle on show. Our brand of rugby is quite boring and predictable which is sacrilege considering re attacking threats we have. But I'm left wondering what goes on during the week in training because it never seems to improve.
I absolutely love OT and the feeling of winning, but I know in not the only one to think that winning papers over cracks that have existed in our team for years. '"

What?! If winning the title is papering over the cracks then sign me up. I appreciate you want our week in week in results to improve but I struggle to understand the mindset that winning at OT isn't enough.

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman18060No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2023Jun 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
icons077e_files/5454-3678dentheman-msnicons.jpg
Your job is to say to yourself on a job interview does the hiring manager likes me or not. If you aren't a particular manager's cup of tea, you haven't failed -- you've dodged a bullet.:icons077e_files/5454-3678dentheman-msnicons.jpg

Quote: LeedsDave "Good opinion given his success, player testaments and backing from the club....
You say this despite back to back grand final wins? I'd suggest that warrants being able to call yourself a head coach.
Does it though? What's the incentive to win every week? Targeting the playoffs is how to win the GF. I don't blame the coach for the shortcomings of the Super League playoff system.
Again refer to my comments on our success. I'd also argue we've played many more good games this season with games like this Hull KR one certainly more of a minority event.
This I can agree with. Its still disappointing losing to clubs like Hull KR.

What?! If winning the title is papering over the cracks then sign me up. I appreciate you want our week in week in results to improve but I struggle to understand the mindset that winning at OT isn't enough.'"

There in lies the problem - the game is struggling to attract any kind of investment, attendances are dropping, the spectacle on the field for the vast majority of games is poor and insipid. Winning at OT is great but it does paper over the cracks of the quality on show week in week out. I can only remember one really good game this season Warrington v Wigan. Leeds will finish 4th best team over the regular season, they are 7 points and 170 points behind Huddersfield, do you consider that a satisfactory position for a club with so many advantages? Leeds are no better this season than last, some of the other clubs are simply much worse. If Leeds fail to get to the GF - law of averages suggests they cannot keep pulling it out of the bag - how will you then view the season?

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman1135No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2024Mar 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
1243.jpg
:1243.jpg

Quote: D4mo78 "
We have a team full of top players - that goes without saying. And from what we hear, McDermott knows how to get into their heads and motivate them. I think this is great in the big matches which are intense, but in the weekly rounds it needs more than this.

I absolutely love OT and the feeling of winning, but I know in not the only one to think that winning papers over cracks that have existed in our team for years.'"

Wasn't McClennan's real attribute about getting the team up for the big games?
We didn't play with great style under Bluey's reign.
Brian McDermott didn't get my vote in his first season but he delivered the goods. Last season he delivered the goods again. If the Rhinos go on and win the GF for a third successive season under the same coach surely he has to be recognised as the greatest coach in Leeds' history.
Are you confident about the playoffs? I am. Perhaps I've seen the light. In Brian Mc we trust.
Bring on OT in October.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach11658
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2018Aug 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
35138.jpg
Fat people are harder to kidnap.:35138.jpg

We shouldn’t blame BMcD for the quality of week to week mediocre performances, we should be congratulating him for his ability to bring a team to peak at the right point in the season.

The standard of regular round games has dropped and will continue to do so until the play-off system is readdressed. The regular rounds are becoming almost irrelevant – as long as one or two wins go your way and you do enough to be slightly better than average you’ll finish in a play-off spot.

This means that the intensity and passion we see in the play-offs is not mirrored in the regular rounds because it doesn’t have to be.

If our head coach is being tasked with winning the GF then that’s what he’ll be aiming to do. Do the minimum needed to get a decent play-off spot then pull the big guns out for the last few games of the year.

This is why we get subjected to the mundane, dull and boring games like the one that we had to witness on Friday night. More and more teams/coaches have realised this so the overall standard of the regular rounds is dropping.

This is having a knock-on effect with gate attendances, corporate investment and sponsorship. Who'd want to invest in a sport that is attracting less and less support week on week?

The RFL need to address the play-off system and need to do it sooner rather than later.

Our coach is doing exactly what he should be doing and for that should be praised – the side effect though is games that I’d wish I’d not bothered taking the time to go watch.

RankPostsTeam
International Star798
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2024Apr 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

I agree FatBoy, there is a flaw with the playoffs, but I don't agree that McD is doing it the right way.

The players go out to win every game. They want to finish top of the league, not because it gives them easier passage into the playoffs but because it shows them to be the best week after week. Whilst the format of the playoffs allows teams to have bad patches of form and still qualify, I bet McD was aiming to top the table this year.

Our team is without doubt the best team SL has seen in knock out rugby, but I don't think it'll be regarded by the neutrals as one of the greatest teams because we are pretty boring to watch a lot of the time. Has McD really got the best out of our back line this year? Has he shown up tactically to be able to change things? I'd say no!

That's why I don't think he's a great head coach. You see what Anderson had come in and done at the Giants, and I know they haven't won anything and still get pants crowds, but he's got them playing the best rugby in the league.

It's a long season and people won't/can't just wait for the playoffs to see their team start playing. And I don't buy that the team is happy to trudge through the weekly rounds waiting for the playoffs.

RankPostsTeam
International Star1906No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

It's turning out to be quite a bizarre end of season, after last nights Wigan defeat there is general outcry from the Wigan fans about the teams woeful displays. Coupled with the fact us and Warrington are off form and have major players still injured , that leaves the injury free and on form giants looking like the team most likely to win the grand final.
I still think there could be some shocks and upsets along the way, maybe saints could come into the equation .
Whilst the standard of play at the moment of most of the teams at the top end of the table is dire, it's going to be a fascinating end of season.
You would think that between us Wigan and the wire one of us should produce some sort of winning form.

So therefore a big chance for one of the so called top coaches to step up and motivate and inspire his team, over to you BM a golden opportunity for you to succeed .

RankPostsTeam
International Star6848No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2023Jul 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
68072_1442575000.jpg
What you looking at?....Butt Head!!:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_68072.jpg

Quote: Backwoodsman "over to you BM a golden opportunity for you to succeed .'"

icon_eek.gif 2 titles in 2 years not succeeding now?!

In all honesty it looks quite open at this time.You have Hudds. who are clear top and have been the most consistent side of the year but still have questions to answer when the heat is on.Wire Wigan and Leeds look quite even and you would still favour one of those sides to take it if they hit the right form.And then Saints,who are the in form team right now and have the pedigree to make a charge.It wouldnt surprise me if any of those five won it this year.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member17230No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Nov 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
3043_1291817917.jpg
#frostiesbitches We know who you are.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_3043.jpg

Quote: Fat Boy "We shouldn’t blame BMcD for the quality of week to week mediocre performances, we should be congratulating him for his ability to bring a team to peak at the right point in the season.'"

Isn't the conditioning team the same as it has been under three different coaches? The same result under all three? But you think it is the third in line coach who should be congratulated for the same result?

RankPostsTeam
International Star1906No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Biff Tannen "
You appear to have misread my post, it did not reflect on the past success of BM , it points out if he can organise and motivate the team at this stage of the season he should be successful this season.
If we don't at least get to old trafford than the season will be a failure, as in all walks of life if people are willing to accept plaudits then they should accept criticism .

133 posts in 10 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
133 posts in 10 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

3.7041015625:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
TV Games - Not Hull
BP1
4m
Decision on the field
NSW
11m
Rumours thread
PopTart
18m
Who do you want to win the Grand Final
matt_wire
20m
Sam Burgess
Captain Hook
21m
Film game
Boss Hog
26m
Recruitment rumours and links
easyWire
31m
ALL NEW 49ERS ERA LEEDS UTD THREAD
tad rhino
37m
Transfer Talk / Rumour thread V4
Sir Gregory
50m
Championship Awards
FIL
FORUM
LAST
VIEW
TOPIC
POSTER
Film game
Boss Hog
53s
Squad 2024
Tony Fax
53s
Sam Burgess
Captain Hook
1m
Game - Song Titles
Boss Hog
1m
2025 TRANSFER AND RETENTION RUMOURS
Listenup94
1m
2025 membership/renewals
The Dentist
2m
Season tickets
Hudd-Shay
3m
Hull KR Survive Warrington Fightback To Secure Grand Final Spot
Mild Rover
3m
Squads - Leopards v Warriors
Vancouver Le
4m
Fev H Play Off
Bully_Boxer
FORUM
NEW
TOPICS
TOPIC
POSTER
Questions for Ste Mills
JamieRobinso
TODAY
Decision on the field
NSW
TODAY
Who do you want to win the Grand Final
matt_wire
TODAY
Worst semi
Barstool Pre
TODAY
2025 TRANSFER AND RETENTION RUMOURS
Listenup94
TODAY
Sam Burgess
Captain Hook
TODAY
Hull KR Survive Warrington Fightback To Secure Grand Final Spot
RLFANS News
TODAY
Squad 2025
Nat (Rugby_A
TODAY
Tonights match v HKR
just_browny
TODAY
Isa 1 year extension
Trainman
TODAY
2024 IMG gradings
Victor
TODAY
Championship Awards
FIL
TODAY
Season tickets
Hudd-Shay
TODAY
Best Semi
sir adrian m
TODAY
Ben Condon is a Leopard
Jack Gaskell
TODAY
Squads - Leopards v Warriors
Vancouver Le
TODAY
Any decent RL reads for me hols
norbellini
TODAY
Championship Play Off Final
PopTart
TODAY
Man of Steel
matt_wire
TODAY
Guest appearance
AgbriggAmble
TODAY
Squad for HKR
MorePlaymake
TODAY
Proposed rule changes 2025
MjM
TODAY
Fev H Play Off
Bully_Boxer
TODAY
Whose going for a beer in Wigan Saturday
Deeeekos
TODAY
Play-off semi-final
BarnsleyGull
TODAY
Coach of the Year
Howfenwire
TODAY
Greatest game ever at HJ
Fantastic Mr
NEWS ITEMS
VIEWS
Hull KR Survive Warrington Fig..
Warrington Wolves Break Saints..
Leigh Leopards Make Play Off P..
Catalans Dragons Finish Sevent..
Hull KR Secure Second With Vic..
Wigan Seal League Leaders Trop..
Wakefield Trinity Sweep Aside ..
Catalans Keep Season Alive Wit..
Salford Ensure Play-Offs And S..
Ruthless Wigan Thrash the Rhin..
Huddersfield Giants Hold Off L..
Salford Close In On The Play O..
Leigh Leopards Up To Fourth Af..
Leeds Rhinos Into the Six Afte..
Wigan Warriors Defeat Hull KR ..
POSTSONLINEREGISTRATIONSRECORD
19.64M +23,333 ↓-1880,13114,103
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.

When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
RLFANS Match Centre
 TODAY
       Championship 2024-R29

15:00
York
17-10
Widnes
UPDATE! Half Time
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R29
17:30
Wigan
v
Leigh
 TOMORROW
     National Rugby League 2024-R31
09:30
Melbourne
v
Penrith
       League One 2024-R26
Keighley
v
Hunslet
       Championship 2024-R29
Bradford
v
Featherstone
     Womens Super League 2024-R16
16:30
York V
v
St.HelensW
 Sun 27th Oct
     Mens Internationals 2024-R2
14:30
England M
v
Samoa M
 Sat 2nd Nov
     Womens Internationals 2024-R2
12:00
ENGLAND W
v
WALES W
     Mens Internationals 2024-R3
England M
v
Samoa M
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)
Matches on TV
Sat 5th Oct
SL
17:30
Wigan-Leigh
Sun 6th Oct
L1
Keighley-Hunslet
WSL2024
16:30
York V-St.HelensW
NRL
09:30
Melbourne-Penrith
Sun 27th Oct
MINT2024
England M-Samoa M
Sat 2nd Nov
MINT2024
England M-Samoa M
Sat 5th Oct
CH
LIVE
York17-10Widnes
Fri 4th Oct
SL 29 Hull KR10-8Warrington
Sun 29th Sep
L1 25 Rochdale26-46Hunslet
CH 28 Barrow24-26Widnes
CH 28 Bradford50-0Swinton
CH 28 Dewsbury28-8Sheffield
CH 28 Wakefield72-6Doncaster
CH 28 Whitehaven23-20Halifax
CH 28 York16-6Featherstone
Sat 28th Sep
CH 28 Toulouse64-16Batley
SL 28 Warrington23-22St.Helens
NRL 30 Penrith26-6Cronulla
Fri 27th Sep
SL 28 Salford6-14Leigh
NRL 30 Melbourne48-18Sydney
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Mens Betfred Super League XXVIII ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Hull KR 28 729 335 394 44
Wigan 27 721 336 385 44
Warrington 29 769 351 418 42
Leigh 28 580 404 176 33
Salford 28 556 561 -5 32
St.Helens 28 618 411 207 30

Catalans 27 475 427 48 30
Leeds 27 530 488 42 28
Huddersfield 27 468 658 -190 20
Castleford 27 425 735 -310 15
Hull FC 27 328 894 -566 6
LondonB 27 317 916 -599 6
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Betfred Championship 2024 ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wakefield 26 1010 262 748 50
Toulouse 25 744 368 376 35
Bradford 26 678 387 291 34
York 28 665 479 186 31
Widnes 27 561 485 76 30
Featherstone 26 622 500 122 28

Sheffield 26 626 526 100 28
Doncaster 26 498 619 -121 25
Halifax 26 509 650 -141 22
Batley 26 422 591 -169 22