FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

FORUMS > Leeds Rhinos > A New, New Music Thread.
840 posts in 57 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
DHM
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach8893
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2024Apr 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
25511_1478008518.jpg
"Well, I think in Rugby League if you head butt someone there's normally some repercusions":d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_25511.jpg

Quote: Charlie Sheen "Heavy Metal musicians aren't very good?!?!
Have to disagree with some of your comments- but defintely concur that HM musicians can be tremendously talented. HM guitarists may have speed and some technical superiority to other genres but to say they are musically superior is highly debatable. I don't have to roll out Jimi Page to prove it. Jazz guitarists have superb technique and musicality (even though I don't like jazz) and some of the flamenco players I have seen are utterly incredible. If you are talking about more mainstream music then guitairsts like SRV blow most metal players away because they are actually listenable to for a start. A combination of technique, tone and feeling that is beyond Kirk Hammet. I can't sit through 10 minutes of high speed twiddling. I read a great quote from one of my all time favourite players, Andy Summers, he went to see Jeff Beck and said "after 5 minutes I'd heard the whole show, but it still went on for another 2 hours".

i have played since I was 14 and I love a lot of metal and of course there are some superb musicians. Then you also have to define "heavy metal". I wouldn't call, Rush, Tool or RATM heavy metal. As for drummers, Stuart Copeland, and Jimmy Chamberlain are my 1 and 2.

DHM
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach8893
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2024Apr 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
25511_1478008518.jpg
"Well, I think in Rugby League if you head butt someone there's normally some repercusions":d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_25511.jpg

Quote: Bang "What about the best gigs we've been to?

Stone Roses at Heaton Park was ace. It was more about being there though. I'd waited my whole life for that gig'"

Saw Nirvana on their first UK visit when they were third on the bill behind Mudhoney and Tad. Astoria I think. Kurt broke a string at the start and only having one guitar had to change it on stage while the rest of the band jammed.
Saw them on their last gig in the UK as well - Reading festival - where Kurt was wheeled out on stage in a hospital gown.

Most fun I had was at a Pixies gig (Astoria again), my mate broke 2 ribs it was that mental. Ah, those were the days.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach9877
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2024May 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
28231_1332863667.jpeg
YEAH LIKE WHATEVER! TEAM UP! TEAM UP!:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_28231.jpeg

Quote: JerryChicken "Now don't laugh.

But the best gig I ever went to was...

Darts in 1978 at the Poly Refectory.

Yes, the 1970s freak doo-wap band.

OK so musically it wasn't ven slightly ground breaking and it was mainly pop music chart stuff, but it was just the night as a whole which is what live gigs are all about - a hot, sticky thundery summers evening outside and sweltering hot inside, and packed, rammed full of loud, vexed, nubile students, I never went to Uni but it looked like everyone got on really well with each other there and squashed in the middle of the room with a ridiculous band on stage who were probably the most visually outrageous band you'd ever see in that era, was just a bloody good night.

Contrast that a couple of week later and back in the same venue to see Kiki Dee to find the room full of earth mother types all sitting on the floor waving lighted candles in the air, now I like the lass from Bradford but her followers were just a bit too much right-on for the evening to go down in the record books as anything but a waste of a night out.'"

Haha, sounds like a right night. Even if I don't know what or where half the stuff you mentioned is! icon_wink.gif

I think the atmosphere of gigs and what happens before, during & after are what makes them memorable and stand out.

I'm gona spotifiy Darts.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach9877
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2024May 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
28231_1332863667.jpeg
YEAH LIKE WHATEVER! TEAM UP! TEAM UP!:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_28231.jpeg

Quote: DHM "Saw Nirvana on their first UK visit when they were third on the bill behind Mudhoney and Tad. Astoria I think. Kurt broke a string at the start and only having one guitar had to change it on stage while the rest of the band jammed.
Saw them on their last gig in the UK as well - Reading festival - where Kurt was wheeled out on stage in a hospital gown.

Most fun I had was at a Pixies gig (Astoria again), my mate broke 2 ribs it was that mental. Ah, those were the days.'"

Was Kurt unwell or was it just him being a crazy loon in a hospital gown? I can't stand Nirvana's music but enjoy the tales of Cobain.

DHM
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach8893
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2024Apr 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
25511_1478008518.jpg

Quote: Bang "Was Kurt unwell or was it just him being a crazy loon in a hospital gown? I can't stand Nirvana's music but enjoy the tales of Cobain.'"

www.clashmusic.com/feature/nirva ... appearance

Everett True wheeled him on. It was a joke because the media had been making much of Cobain's drug issues and speculating about his health.
Quote: Bang "Was Kurt unwell or was it just him being a crazy loon in a hospital gown? I can't stand Nirvana's music but enjoy the tales of Cobain.'"

www.clashmusic.com/feature/nirva ... appearance

Everett True wheeled him on. It was a joke because the media had been making much of Cobain's drug issues and speculating about his health.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach24325
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
11400_1493633977.gif
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_11400.gif

Saw Diana Ross do an show and she was amazing. Squeeze are top musicians. James are totally original and supurb live. The clash in there early years were rough but full of energy. I like all music but I do like original singer songwriters. Gordon Lightroom was good. Saw Ian mculloch, singer with echo and the bunnymen, do a solo acoustic set in a tiny York club last year. Brilliant

RankPostsTeam
International Star1359No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

"Leeds is the greatest club in Rugby League" Alex Murphy 2011:

Quote: JerryChicken "Now don't laugh.

But the best gig I ever went to was...

Darts in 1978 at the Poly Refectory.

Yes, the 1970s freak doo-wap band.

OK so musically it wasn't ven slightly ground breaking and it was mainly pop music chart stuff, but it was just the night as a whole which is what live gigs are all about - a hot, sticky thundery summers evening outside and sweltering hot inside, and packed, rammed full of loud, vexed, nubile students, I never went to Uni but it looked like everyone got on really well with each other there and squashed in the middle of the room with a ridiculous band on stage who were probably the most visually outrageous band you'd ever see in that era, was just a bloody good night.

Contrast that a couple of week later and back in the same venue to see Kiki Dee to find the room full of earth mother types all sitting on the floor waving lighted candles in the air, now I like the lass from Bradford but her followers were just a bit too much right-on for the evening to go down in the record books as anything but a waste of a night out.'"

Can't split my two fave gigs, Primal Scream (made my ears ring for a week) and The Deadweather, both at The Academy. I've been to see Kasabian a few times and always been impressed, but when they played The Academy it was something else. For me it's the best venue in Leeds.

RankPostsTeam
International Star3605No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2016May 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
67953_1341943970.jpg
Someday everything is gonna be different, when I paint my masterpiece ---------------------------------------------------------- [url=http://garykitchen.co.uk/:lnkxkae0]Online art gallery, selling original landscape artwork[/url:lnkxkae0] ---------------------------------------------------------- [url=http://jerrychicken.wordpress.com/:lnkxkae0]JerryChicken - The Blog[/url:lnkxkae0] ----------------------------------------------------------:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_67953.jpg

Quote: Bang "I'm gona spotifiy Darts.'"

No please don't, you will be scarred for life and will think I'm a right geek for life too.

To get the proper effect you should take a laptop and projector into a sauna but be fully clothed and have a cagoule on too (I bet you don't know what a cagoule is do you), then search YouTube for a live performance of Darts, even a TOTP one will do, and invite one hundred of your mates to cram into the sauna with you while you play the video, they'd have to be very good mates and better still female because some of them will have to snog you while your bouncing up and down to the music and wishing you'd taken your bloody cagoule off first.

You youngsters don't know you're born with your poncy arena's and stadium gigs - you should try cramming millions of you into a university dining hall that has no acoustic qualities whatsoever but which is at least better than cramming millions of you into an old tram shed thats freezing cold and with all the acoustic qualities of a very echoey thing with the echo knob turned up to full.

DHM
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach8893
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2024Apr 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
25511_1478008518.jpg

"Dart Attack" hides somewhere in my cupboard under the stairs.

Duke of Earl is a classic.

RankPostsTeam
International Star3605No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2016May 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
67953_1341943970.jpg
Someday everything is gonna be different, when I paint my masterpiece ---------------------------------------------------------- [url=http://garykitchen.co.uk/:lnkxkae0]Online art gallery, selling original landscape artwork[/url:lnkxkae0] ---------------------------------------------------------- [url=http://jerrychicken.wordpress.com/:lnkxkae0]JerryChicken - The Blog[/url:lnkxkae0] ----------------------------------------------------------:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_67953.jpg

Quote: tad rhino "Saw Diana Ross do an show and she was amazing.'"

A-hem...

*Wheels out his Las Vegas story*

I stayed at The Flamingo Las Vegas in Feb 1974 and right opposite at Ceasers Palace a show featuring Diana Ross except that no-one wanted to see her then because she'd split with The Supremes and had not yet reached the Disco Queen phase of her career.

Appearing at The Flamingo was Mama Cass who was another has-been and just a few months away from her appointment with a stuck-in-the-throat ham sandwich.

But best of all was Elvis at The International - anyone could walk in off the streets to watch him but hardly anyone did, my dad and my uncle did just that and walked out after a few songs because my dad had seen at least three other, better Elvis's at East End Park WMC, to sum up his night his review was "He was bloody rubbish"

How did we find ourselves in Vegas in 1973 when the most exotic holiday you could hope for would be a Danair trip to Torremolinos? A trip with Leeds Rugby League Football Club thats how, but thats a completely different story...

DHM
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach8893
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2024Apr 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
25511_1478008518.jpg

Quote: JerryChicken "You youngsters don't know you're born with your poncy arena's and stadium gigs - you should try cramming millions of you into a university dining hall that has no acoustic qualities whatsoever but which is at least better than cramming millions of you into an old tram shed thats freezing cold and with all the acoustic qualities of a very echoey thing with the echo knob turned up to full.'"

Where was that place in Leeds? The big, old warehouse like place bands used to play. I saw the Jam play there twice (Queen's Hall?).

Saw lots of bands in the uni refectory, also ate my dinner there a lot. I went to Leeds Uni. I went back up to Leeds Uni a while back to do some work in one of the medical research departments and at lunchtime went down the Union for a pint. They had turned most of it into a supermarket. I was devestated.

RankPostsTeam
International Star3605No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2016May 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
67953_1341943970.jpg

Quote: DHM "Where was that place in Leeds? The big, old warehouse like place bands used to play. I saw the Jam play there twice (Queen's Hall?).

Saw lots of bands in the uni refectory, also ate my dinner there a lot. I went to Leeds Uni. I went back up to Leeds Uni a while back to do some work in one of the medical research departments and at lunchtime went down the Union for a pint. They had turned most of it into a supermarket. I was devestated.'"

Yep it was the Queens Hallhad been the council tram depot for decades then was sold to someone who had an idea that a big empty warehouse with lots of steel girders and pylons would make an excellent venue for music, obviously someone who had never been to a music venue in his life, it was on the site just behind where some random office block is now opposite the Hilton (or The Draganora as we mature people call it, I knew the manager there, thats ANOTHER story) and the last time I looked it was an NCP wasteland car park.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach10530
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2020Jun 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
18919_1341147656.jpg
[quote="King Monkey":30st820n]Maybe a spell in prison would do Graham good. At least he'd lose his virginity.[/quote:30st820n]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_18919.jpg

Quote: DHM "Have to disagree with some of your comments- but defintely concur that HM musicians can be tremendously talented. HM guitarists may have speed and some technical superiority to other genres but to say they are musically superior is highly debatable. I don't have to roll out Jimi Page to prove it. Jazz guitarists have superb technique and musicality (even though I don't like jazz) and some of the flamenco players I have seen are utterly incredible. If you are talking about more mainstream music then guitairsts like SRV blow most metal players away because they are actually listenable to for a start. A combination of technique, tone and feeling that is beyond Kirk Hammet. I can't sit through 10 minutes of high speed twiddling. I read a great quote from one of my all time favourite players, Andy Summers, he went to see Jeff Beck and said "after 5 minutes I'd heard the whole show, but it still went on for another 2 hours".

i have played since I was 14 and I love a lot of metal and of course there are some superb musicians. Then you also have to define "heavy metal". I wouldn't call, Rush, Tool or RATM heavy metal. As for drummers, Stuart Copeland, and Jimmy Chamberlain are my 1 and 2.'"

I totally agree. My point was that the metal musicians from the 80s until now are superior to those from the early rock n roll days. I wasn't comparing guys like Kirk Hammit with SRV (I much prefer SRV to Metallica), I was comparing guys like Kieth Richards, and Jimi Hendrix to guys like Satriani, and Buckethead. Now I prefer listening to Hendrix and the Stones but I know the latter 2 guys are better guitarists. I agree with you jazz and flamenco players are superb.

Out of interest what would you call Tool and RATM?

2 brilliant drummers there. My 2 personal favourites are Danny Carey and Mike Portnoy, my favourite "old school" drummers are Mike Shrieve and Ian Paice

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach10530
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2020Jun 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
18919_1341147656.jpg
[quote="King Monkey":30st820n]Maybe a spell in prison would do Graham good. At least he'd lose his virginity.[/quote:30st820n]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_18919.jpg

I saw Paul Rodgers in Sheffield a few years back, he's still one of the best singers in the world IMO.

RankPostsTeam
International Star3605No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2016May 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
67953_1341943970.jpg

Quote: Charlie Sheen "Check out some of The Nighchman's stuff. It's the accoustic alter-ego of Rage against the machine guitarist Tom Morrelo. 'Until the end' in particular is an outstanding song.'"

Just realised I've got a track of his in my *cough* "downloaded" collection - a live recording of Ghost of Tom Joad that he did at a Springsteen gig which is a different interpretation from the original icon_biggrin.gif

840 posts in 57 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
840 posts in 57 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.20166015625:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Shareholders Meeting
Scarlet Pimp
Recent
Bulls Accounts up to Nov 2023
Blotto
FORUM