FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

FORUMS > Leeds Rhinos > SL RD 17 | Wakefield Trinity (A)
235 posts in 17 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member17230No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Nov 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
3043_1291817917.jpg
#frostiesbitches We know who you are.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_3043.jpg

Quote: BrisbaneRhino "The last one you could only have that way if within the opposition's 20 - you'd want to reward good defence elsewhere?

Whilst RL has shown a willingness to tinker with rules to make things flow better, from an entertainment perspective we might be nearing the point where more fundamental changes are needed. The only other tinkering changes that might have a real impact would be further reductions in interchanges.

There are always unintended consequences, but there are some other radical changes I'd like smarter people than me to look at - how about disabling the wrestle by not letting more than 2 players get involved in a tackle for example?

To me the entertainment angle of RL is simply less than it was (that's no the same as 'better' in terms of which teams from which era would win). There should be no universe where defending teams are happy to give away penalties in their own 20m because they are confident of defending it. The balance between attack and defence is completely wrong if that's the case (excluding Leeds of course!)'"

The better first start would be to re-eductate referrees in the rules of the game, instead of incorrect interpretations. They don't work to the rules at all, and the game has been completely ruined as a result.

The biggest start they could make over all, and they did it in the NRL is make them play the bloody ball properly. Literally nobody in our competition anymore actually play the ball at all. In a hell of a lot of cases, they don't even mimick the foot movement, but just simply roll it backwards. This is unacceptable, and part of the reason so much wrestling goes on at the play the ball.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain4719
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 20186 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
77264_1540382825.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_77264.jpg

To be honest I think the lack of entertainment, if it exists, would be down do the lack of real quality players than anything else.

Reducing interchanges might be beneficial on a number of levels.

I think it's important not to over-complicate rules, or introduce too much interpretation to referees who are already struggling it seems to me. For example, if a defending team is loading more than two players into a tackle, it's up to the attacking team to play quickly at the edges and keep them honest IMO.
The ruck is a mess though - but that's not a new thing.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain100No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 20186 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2024Feb 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
77216_1537525872.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_77216.jpg

Quote: Gotcha "The better first start would be to re-eductate referrees in the rules of the game, instead of incorrect interpretations. They don't work to the rules at all, and the game has been completely ruined as a result.

The biggest start they could make over all, and they did it in the NRL is make them play the bloody ball properly. Literally nobody in our competition anymore actually play the ball at all. In a hell of a lot of cases, they don't even mimick the foot movement, but just simply roll it backwards. This is unacceptable, and part of the reason so much wrestling goes on at the play the ball.'"

Completely agree with this, no more "interpretations" or pre-season rule negotiations with clubs and coaches, let's just play to the rules10. The play-the-ball shall operate as follows.

Release tackled player immediately (a) The tackled player shall be immediately released and shall not be touched until the ball is in play.

Regain feet (b) The tackled player shall without delay regain his feet where he was tackled, lift the ball clear of the ground, face his opponent’s goal line and drop or place the ball on the ground in front of his foremost foot.

Player marking (c) One opponent may take up the position immediately opposite the tackled player.

(d) The tackled player may not play the ball before the players effecting the tackle have had time to clear the ruck.

Play with foot (e) When the ball touches the ground it must be heeled (i.e. backwards) by the tackled player. The ball must not be kicked or heeled by the player marking him. The ball is in play when it has been played backward.

With regards to (d) it really annoys me to see a defender knelt just pushing down on a tackled player while looking at the referee waiting to be told to release the attacker.

RankPostsTeam
International Star798
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2024Apr 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Holmes "Completely agree with this, no more "interpretations" or pre-season rule negotiations with clubs and coaches, let's just play to the rules10. The play-the-ball shall operate as follows.

Release tackled player immediately (a) The tackled player shall be immediately released and shall not be touched until the ball is in play.

Regain feet (b) The tackled player shall without delay regain his feet where he was tackled, lift the ball clear of the ground, face his opponent’s goal line and drop or place the ball on the ground in front of his foremost foot.

Player marking (c) One opponent may take up the position immediately opposite the tackled player.

(d) The tackled player may not play the ball before the players effecting the tackle have had time to clear the ruck.

Play with foot (e) When the ball touches the ground it must be heeled (i.e. backwards) by the tackled player. The ball must not be kicked or heeled by the player marking him. The ball is in play when it has been played backward.

With regards to (d) it really annoys me to see a defender knelt just pushing down on a tackled player while looking at the referee waiting to be told to release the attacker.'"

And let's have 1 set of rules for the whole sport. Not 1 for over here, 1 for NRL and 1 for international.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member17230No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Nov 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
3043_1291817917.jpg
#frostiesbitches We know who you are.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_3043.jpg

Looks like Golding playing second hooker this week.

Johnson, Trout, Mcclelland all playing for Fev in midweek cup match. So all overlooked again. Interestingly Albert also on dual reg.

Him
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member14970No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2021Nov 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2244_1299706258.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_2244.jpg

Quote: D4mo78 "And let's have 1 set of rules for the whole sport. Not 1 for over here, 1 for NRL and 1 for international.'"

Which is easier said than done. We can align all the rules easily but what happens when the NRL want to change a rule?

RankPostsTeam
International Star798
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2024Apr 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Him "Which is easier said than done. We can align all the rules easily but what happens when the NRL want to change a rule?'"

The game creates an international committee that agrees the rules. It's nothing new

Him
RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2021Nov 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2244_1299706258.jpg

Quote: D4mo78 "The game creates an international committee that agrees the rules. It's nothing new'"

And what if the NRL doesn’t agree with the formation of an international committee to set its rules?

There’s no such thing as “The Game”. There’s the NRL, The RFL and that’s about it. There isn’t the diversity of power in the game like in football for a FIFA or UEFA style body with enough power to override the objections of one side.

If the NRL doesn’t agree to it it doesn’t happen.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain4719
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 20186 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
77264_1540382825.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_77264.jpg

Quote: Him "And what if the NRL doesn’t agree with the formation of an international committee to set its rules?

There’s no such thing as “The Game”. There’s the NRL, The RFL and that’s about it. There isn’t the diversity of power in the game like in football for a FIFA or UEFA style body with enough power to override the objections of one side.

If the NRL doesn’t agree to it it doesn’t happen.'"

I’ve said this before but I wouldn’t be opposed to the NRL taking over the game over here. Their resources far outstrips the RFL, we would have a unified rule set, judiciary process etc. It doesn’t need to be us v them (aside from on the field).

RankPostsTeam
International Star546No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 201410 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
73211_1601547937.png
PEOPLE BEFORE PROFIT!:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_73211.png

I'm with Gotcha... again. The officials have to start applying the rules. As it stands the only players that try to play the ball end up playing it forward by accident and getting penalised. Probably why they roll it with their hand. Seeing as refs are currently letting them get away with it. Also whilst after a break when 2 on 1 against the full back I've seen a lot of final passes that have been forwards and not getting pulled back. I don't know if this is due to the officials not keeping up with play or just the BS momentum rule.

If you're talking rule changes, please get rid of the attackers not onside having to give the catcher 10 metres, because it lets people off with spilling the ball, because of a player that was nowhere near them.

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman503
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Apr 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
1340.gif
:1340.gif

Quote: Gotcha "The better first start would be to re-eductate referrees in the rules of the game, instead of incorrect interpretations. They don't work to the rules at all, and the game has been completely ruined as a result.

The biggest start they could make over all, and they did it in the NRL is make them play the bloody ball properly. Literally nobody in our competition anymore actually play the ball at all. In a hell of a lot of cases, they don't even mimick the foot movement, but just simply roll it backwards. This is unacceptable, and part of the reason so much wrestling goes on at the play the ball.'"

100% this.

Its not actual rule changes that have done the damage, but the never ending changing "interpretations" aka ill thought-out tinkering. The leaders of the game should establish the set of rules they want and implement them regardless of the short term input of clubs and coaches.

Him
RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2021Nov 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2244_1299706258.jpg

Quote: Toosmooth "I'm with Gotcha... again. The officials have to start applying the rules. As it stands the only players that try to play the ball end up playing it forward by accident and getting penalised. Probably why they roll it with their hand. Seeing as refs are currently letting them get away with it. Also whilst after a break when 2 on 1 against the full back I've seen a lot of final passes that have been forwards and not getting pulled back. I don't know if this is due to the officials not keeping up with play or just the BS momentum rule.

If you're talking rule changes, please get rid of the attackers not onside having to give the catcher 10 metres, because it lets people off with spilling the ball, because of a player that was nowhere near them.'"

The momentum rule may be incorrectly named but isn’t BS. Without it you would have an entirely different game and teams would be taking it in turns to hand over possession so they weren’t pushed back in attack or it would turn attack’s to simple 1 out plays.

As for offside players within 10m of the catcher. How can they be within 10m and be nowhere near the catcher?

These are entirely different issues to making players play the ball properly which naturally slows the play the ball and so eliminates some of the need for defensive wrestle.

RankPostsTeam
International Star798
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2024Apr 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Him "And what if the NRL doesn’t agree with the formation of an international committee to set its rules?

If the NRL doesn’t agree to it it doesn’t happen.'"

I don't know. Maybe if I did I'd be doing more than just offering opinion on here. At the end of the day it's a joke to have a 'professional' sport where the rules differ depending in which way the wind blows. I do know the Aussies find it hard to look past their own coastline but surely with the right people holding the meetings, they can make people realise the state of the game and what needs to be done.

RankPostsTeam
International Star546No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 201410 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
73211_1601547937.png
PEOPLE BEFORE PROFIT!:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_73211.png

Quote: Him "The momentum rule may be incorrectly named but isn’t BS. Without it you would have an entirely different game and teams would be taking it in turns to hand over possession so they weren’t pushed back in attack or it would turn attack’s to simple 1 out plays.

As for offside players within 10m of the catcher. How can they be within 10m and be nowhere near the catcher?

These are entirely different issues to making players play the ball properly which naturally slows the play the ball and so eliminates some of the need for defensive wrestle.'"

I never said they weren't entirely different issues.

a) It's hard enough for a full back to achieve anything when 1 v 2, without blatant forward passes like Fax's penultimate try v Dulls.

b) If a chaser is 9m away from full back, he isn't in their eye line or the reason they dropped it, Therefore IMO it should be a knock on.

Him
RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2021Nov 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2244_1299706258.jpg

Quote: D4mo78 "I don't know. Maybe if I did I'd be doing more than just offering opinion on here. At the end of the day it's a joke to have a 'professional' sport where the rules differ depending in which way the wind blows. I do know the Aussies find it hard to look past their own coastline but surely with the right people holding the meetings, they can make people realise the state of the game and what needs to be done.'"

I don’t see it as a joke, it’s simply where the sport is at. Until we develop more nations that can compete with Australia or SL improves its on and off field strength then the Aussies are going to call the shots.
The only alternative is for us to accept whatever rule changes they bring in regardless of whether they’re suitable or not.
Or we have slightly different rules. I don’t see it as an issue at all. It’s not like one set of rules has eliminated forward passes or offside or anything. They’re very minor differences.
Most sports also have slight differences in rules from league to league or internationals. Such as the multi-ball system or VAR in football along with different rules to rank teams level on points between leagues and European/International comps.

235 posts in 17 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
235 posts in 17 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.080078125:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Tonights match v HKR
matt_wire
9m
Recruitment rumours and links
Philth
9m