FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

FORUMS > Leeds Rhinos > Four Nations Thread.
270 posts in 19 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
RankPostsTeam
Club Owner6685No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200421 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Gotcha "Excuse me, but there is some damn good coaches at amatuer level mate. I won't begin to say that all of them are the same level, but there is certainly some very good coaches at Amateur level.
quote]

Theres a hell of a lot of education needed for many many coaches in the amateur game though. Which as i said, we are starting to work on.

RankPostsTeam
Moderator9189
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
27287_1532947987.png
BELIEVE. BELIEF. BEYOND. IT AIN'T WHERE YOUR FROM, ITS WHERE YOUR AT. SWMC Coach's very own timekeeping aficionado & expert stair inspector.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_27287.png

Medway Dragons is a brilliant example of what can be achieved when you have a group of people who all pull in the correct directions at junior levels. I was reading an article on them a while back and the ammount of time and money they have invested getting up to speed is a marvel.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner610No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2022Mar 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Sent back through time to rid the world of bovine related sports teams:

Quote: Gotcha "Excuse me, but there is some damn good coaches at amatuer level mate. I won't begin to say that all of them are the same level, but there is certainly some very good coaches at Amateur level.

Might I suggest we also need to look at the coaching at super league clubs for juniors? after all a proven coach in the amateur game who has been developing players for years, is a far better standard than just putting ex players in positions as they reach end of their careers, just to give them a job.'"

You will note the words "vast majority", which denotes an acceptance that not all would fall into the category being referred to.
I agree, there are indeed some very good coaches at that level. However, in my experience they are few and far between, therefore, not enough kids get exposed to what they have to offer.

Quote: Gotcha "]The biggest issue is coaches that are all about winning at under 10s which is to the detrement of LTAD and the skills and game sense the kids are taught.
Quote: Gotcha "]

Absolutely right, and that is one of the aspects of what I mean by the application of professional coaching.

I am not as exposed to junior rugby as I once was, therefore, I am not up to speed with exactly what policies are being implemented. However, what I do know is that all of the issues we have raised over the last few posts were kicking around in 1988. So, if something is being done, it is about time.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member17230No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Nov 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
3043_1291817917.jpg
#frostiesbitches We know who you are.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_3043.jpg

Might I suggest we also need to look at the coaching at super league clubs for juniors? after all a proven coach in the amateur game who has been developing players for years, is a far better standard than just putting ex players in positions as they reach end of their careers, just to give them a job.'"

Quote: Gotcha "You will note the words "vast majority", which denotes an acceptance that not all would fall into the category being referred to.
I agree, there are indeed some very good coaches at that level. However, in my experience they are few and far between, therefore, not enough kids get exposed to what they have to offer.'"

Accepted point, but what about in relation to my second point about super league coaching with the juniors?

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman9510
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
1157.jpg
It's not how much talent you've got, it's what you do with it that counts.:1157.jpg

The SL clubs, maybe via the RFL, should all take some responsibility for the standard of coaching at the amateur clubs in their catchment area. This should be part of the forthcoming franchises for 2012 onwards. Each club should have to employ a "Coaching Mentor" who is responsible for the development of coaching of the amateur game within their catchment area, running coaching sessions for amateur coaches, which are free for them to attend. The costs would be minimal, but the benefits could be significant if we could make it work.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner610No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2022Mar 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

'"
]Accepted point, but what about in relation to my second point about super league coaching with the juniors?'"]

Yes, I have to agree with you, being an ex professional or a good player does not make you a good coach.

I suppose you would expect the clubs to realise that and to employ the best people they can find to do the job. Infact, how can you have things an other way? There is little the governing bodies can do to ensure that the right people are in the right jobs.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner6685No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200421 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: batleyrhino "The SL clubs, maybe via the RFL, should all take some responsibility for the standard of coaching at the amateur clubs in their catchment area. This should be part of the forthcoming franchises for 2012 onwards. Each club should have to employ a "Coaching Mentor" who is responsible for the development of coaching of the amateur game within their catchment area, running coaching sessions for amateur coaches, which are free for them to attend. The costs would be minimal, but the benefits could be significant if we could make it work.'"

Rhinos and Giants are doing this (couldnt comment on other clubs)

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner610No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2022Mar 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Quote: batleyrhino "The SL clubs, maybe via the RFL, should all take some responsibility for the standard of coaching at the amateur clubs in their catchment area. This should be part of the forthcoming franchises for 2012 onwards. Each club should have to employ a "Coaching Mentor" who is responsible for the development of coaching of the amateur game within their catchment area, running coaching sessions for amateur coaches, which are free for them to attend. The costs would be minimal, but the benefits could be significant if we could make it work.'"

Ever thought of running for Chief Executive? That is exactly what is required and has been since God only knows when.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner6685No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200421 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Ronzy "Ever thought of running for Chief Executive? That is exactly what is required and has been since God only knows when.'"

See above

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner610No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2022Mar 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Quote: Seth "Rhinos and Giants are doing this (couldnt comment on other clubs)'"

Not wishing to sound negative but, don't you think that, bearing in mind we have known about the need to improve coaching for twenty five years, the fact that you can only point to two clubs with certainty is poor? It should be an absolute requirement for all professional clubs.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner6685No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200421 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Ronzy "Not wishing to sound negative but, don't you think that, bearing in mind we have known about the need to improve coaching for twenty five years, the fact that you can only point to two clubs with certainty is poor? It should be an absolute requirement for all professional clubs.'"

Only reason ive pointed out 2 clubs is im involved at Leeds and know of the Giants set up. I would be pretty sure there are others

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner610No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2022Mar 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Quote: Seth "Only reason ive pointed out 2 clubs is im involved at Leeds and know of the Giants set up. I would be pretty sure there are others'"

I applaud those clubs that have implemented such schemes; however, without an overall structure and strategy, general standards will not improve. As the man said, it needs to come from the top and there has to be minimum standards that must be achieved. Only then will we see the improvements in playing standards that are required.

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman9510
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
1157.jpg
It's not how much talent you've got, it's what you do with it that counts.:1157.jpg

Quote: Seth "Rhinos and Giants are doing this (couldnt comment on other clubs)'"

Great news, and good on the clubs that are doing this, but it needs to be an RFL coordinated activity and must be compulsary as part of a SL Franchise license.

My eldest son has just started playing for his high school, having only gone there in September, and frankly the standard of coaching is abysmal. What makes it worse is that the bloke doing the coaching is actually a part time pro with a championship 1 club, so you could expect better. At a recent game of theirs I was talking to a coach of a local amateur team, and he wasn't actually that much better, so when you take this into account, we have light years to go in the overall coaching of simple skills and drills to get our kids into a position where in 10-15 years they would be capable of playing Test Rugby.

The biggest problem that the England team has, as witnessed by the latest squad selection, is a big enough talent pool, and this will never improve until we tackle the issue at junior level and provide the kids with the right structure and coaching to develop properly. We have got to get our kids into the right position to be able to learn the basic skills early and then the application in a game environment rather than the "go out and enjoy yourselves / kill the opposition" (whichever) opportunity that they are currently seeing.

We have (and will continue to produce) a decent pack of forwards, this is the bread and butter of our game and is a result of the nature of the kids who play, but the development of skills and just as importantly decision making ability is a million miles from where it should be if it is even coached at all.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach11658
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2018Aug 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
35138.jpg
Fat people are harder to kidnap.:35138.jpg

Quote: Keith Swiftcorn "The gods of rugby have smiled in the erroneously gifted Danny McGuire's direction by sparing him from another embarrassing humiliation down under.'"

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1755
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2023Jan 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
38511.jpg
[b:3v5chy3z]Brian McDermott paraphrased Peter Fox. "He'd say if we had 13 Bernard Dwyers we wouldn't lose many RL games. It's the same for us with JJB"[/b:3v5chy3z]:38511.jpg

Quote: Andy Gilder "So how does it change Keith?
Chuck us some answers rather than statements of the blindingly obvious.'"

i would also love to hear keith's opinions on this subject or any other subject for that matter whereby he has a possitive attitude to raising the standards at either the sl or the 4 nations level

270 posts in 19 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
270 posts in 19 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.00439453125:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Recruitment rumours and links
Uncle Rico
5m
This weeks disciplinary
The Reaper
19m