JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 20205 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: KaeruJim "But what style is going to work when players are making 14/15 errors a game Clueso? You can’t implement anything.

I do agree we’ve seen a lack of appetite to adapt and change in the face of evidence. Like the ruck speed was slower than promised, so we just complained about it for 2 months and lost the ruck. Like asking small wingers/FB to take the brutal carries out of yardage, when clearly we need to pick and choose. With Fus fit that might work better; but not with who we’ve actually had. Net result is we fail to establish any momentum in sets and the opposition are dominating us in the ruck.

Anyway if Smith is going to save his Leeds career, he’s going to have to deliver some strong performances and results in this next sequence that’s for sure.[/

Just think those 15 errors are a direct consequence of the style he chooses to play. In the long run, whilst some of the players are now letting him down, I think it's because they given up on a coach and a strategy that doesn't give them a decent chance to win. I really have a bad feeling about Saturday. I'll be going but the enjoyment has gone for me at present.

RankPostsTeam
Fringe Player1237No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 20213 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

I know its a bit chicken and egg with respect to mistakes vs style of play, but I tend to agree with Arthur. I think a chunk of our mistakes are because of the style we are trying to play. Some are down to execution, but is it a surprise we panic when we have decent field position given how rarely we get it? Or that players continually running the ball out of trouble either drop the ball under pressure or try dumb offloads? Other errors like kicking out on the full should have been stamped out on day one.

We also have a squad who could not easily execute a more 'basic' game requiring forwards to be much more physical. Lisone can do this but only when the opposition are not up for it - a classic flat track bully. Holroyd can bang a big but for a big guy he doesn't run the ball in with enough venom, and Sangare is worse. Oledzki is a worker not a dynamic forward, and he really doesn't stand up that well against more powerful opposition IMO. And we have no genuine props in reserve.

If Smith wanted that rotation to be more dynamic they'd only be able to do it in patches, and then revert to type. Is that what we saw first half vs Sts in the cup? We've seen time and again that powder puff forwards never really change, and that size alone isn't enough. Sangare is today's Chris Feather.

That's why even if Smith wanted to change tack now I'm not sure he can. He built the team to play a specific way, which isn't working (and in some cases the players aren't up to it). I don't know how much can be changed without - yet again - turning over players. But he's the coach and he seemingly wanted this squad - either way a lot of responsibility is down to him.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain4719
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 20186 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
77264_1540382825.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_77264.jpg

Quote: ArthurClues "
This is where we don't agree - I don't think Frawley throws that ball, Roberts drops a bomb under pressure as a direct response to Smith's style of play. Those are just instances of individual error which pop our balloons every game. I think Smith would have been happier had Frawley kept hold of it and Roberts made the catch.

He is responsible for signing the players that make mistakes too much, but he isn't responsible for these mistakes in-game.

RankPostsTeam
First Team Player1514
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 20204 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: KaeruJim "

You're trying to separate the two Jim and I don't think you can.

We are under pressure for large periods in games.
That leads to mistakes.
Players feel pressure, especially when struggling for form.

The way we play, the form we're in and the mistakes we're making are all systematically linked.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain4719
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 20186 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
77264_1540382825.jpg

Quote: Once were Loiners "I know its a bit chicken and egg with respect to mistakes vs style of play, but I tend to agree with Arthur. I think a chunk of our mistakes are because of the style we are trying to play. Some are down to execution, but is it a surprise we panic when we have decent field position given how rarely we get it? Or that players continually running the ball out of trouble either drop the ball under pressure or try dumb offloads? Other errors like kicking out on the full should have been stamped out on day one.

We also have a squad who could not easily execute a more 'basic' game requiring forwards to be much more physical. Lisone can do this but only when the opposition are not up for it - a classic flat track bully. Holroyd can bang a big but for a big guy he doesn't run the ball in with enough venom, and Sangare is worse. Oledzki is a worker not a dynamic forward, and he really doesn't stand up that well against more powerful opposition IMO. And we have no genuine props in reserve.

If Smith wanted that rotation to be more dynamic they'd only be able to do it in patches, and then revert to type. Is that what we saw first half vs Sts in the cup? We've seen time and again that powder puff forwards never really change, and that size alone isn't enough. Sangare is today's Chris Feather.

That's why even if Smith wanted to change tack now I'm not sure he can. He built the team to play a specific way, which isn't working (and in some cases the players aren't up to it). I don't know how much can be changed without - yet again - turning over players. But he's the coach and he seemingly wanted this squad - either way a lot of responsibility is down to him.'"

Again disagree that style = errors. I think people are finding any way to attribute blame to RS when we're talking like this frankly.

There is plenty to criticise about his approach but the errors are individual players lacking quality and/or concentration and discipline in key moments. We will retain the errors unless we switch out some repeat offenders.

I agree with you mostly over the analysis on the props. Holroyd needs an injury-free run and a real pre-season, but he does defend aggressively and puts himself about in the middle. Mik is fine, he's a good player. We fall off very quickly beyond those two though - Lisone is one with errors/sloppiness to his play, and Sangare doesn't run his weight.

Part of the problem though is the lightweight-ish back row. The only back rower who can bend the line is probably Smith, but I think we need another second row who is hard to handle. Personally I think McDonnell is our best grafter/dirty work player but all the other pack members should be awkward to defend against if we want more domination in centre field.

Re-signing Bentley and Donaldson (who to be fair is more here for morale than actually playing at this stage), and signing Goudemand just exacerbates the problems we have in the pack. We do have some better prospects coming through the academy but they could be a couple of years off realistically.

RankPostsTeam
International Star1906No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

I really don’t think we have a style of play. Because we have an extremely lightweight pack we are unable to achieve mid field dominance. So we swing the ball out wide and hope for the best. Sadly it’s only been successful on two occasions this season, first half against saints at home, then second half away at Leigh. Mistakes on the field? Most of them are down to players who simply aren’t good enough, highlighted by the fact they produce the same mistakes on a regular basis. Looking at Roberts last week at Saints, his whole body position in going to field a high ball was wrong.
End result he dropped it. Once watched a rhinos training session, for 15 minutes Brent Webb was peppered with high balls by the reserves and youth lads. Suffice to say ,extremely rare to see Webb drop a high ball. Have a look at the points for on the league table, ours are a complete disaster.
Unfortunately I don’t possess a crystal ball ,but I would imagine we will finish around about fifth or sixth place. For me that would be an abject failure, looking at some recent postings on here , it seems some people would find that acceptable.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2586No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 20205 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: KaeruJim "
There's always a mix isn't there? Rohan, however, does not have to keep picking a lad who has been terrible under the high ball all season. On Frawley, I have nothing against attempting to get the ball to Handley in that situation. The thing is a half back of even normal pace would have made enough ground to not have to attempt the pass in contact. Not Rohan's fault but his signing and his selection.

RankPostsTeam
Fringe Player1237No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 20213 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Regardless, the next few weeks are enormous for Smith (assuming he lasts this week!). If we lose to Cas I'd say there's no coming back from that, and there's only downside in all the games to Wire. Lose any of them before then and the pitchforks will be out, win them and he'll barely nudge the dial because only Leigh are even half decent. In some ways he'd be better with games against teams just above us for the next few games.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain4719
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 20186 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
77264_1540382825.jpg

Quote: Backwoodsman "I really don’t think we have a style of play. Because we have an extremely lightweight pack we are unable to achieve mid field dominance. So we swing the ball out wide and hope for the best. Sadly it’s only been successful on two occasions this season, first half against saints at home, then second half away at Leigh. Mistakes on the field? Most of them are down to players who simply aren’t good enough, highlighted by the fact they produce the same mistakes on a regular basis. Looking at Roberts last week at Saints, his whole body position in going to field a high ball was wrong.
End result he dropped it. Once watched a rhinos training session, for 15 minutes Brent Webb was peppered with high balls by the reserves and youth lads. Suffice to say ,extremely rare to see Webb drop a high ball. Have a look at the points for on the league table, ours are a complete disaster.
Unfortunately I don’t possess a crystal ball ,but I would imagine we will finish around about fifth or sixth place. For me that would be an abject failure, looking at some recent postings on here , it seems some people would find that acceptable.'"

Agree with that but the notion that if Leeds don't finish top 4 is abject failure is based on flawed assumptions. In theory, 100% Leeds should be challenging for silverware every year of course. In practice we have no divine right and this squad and likely the coach too isn't working to the right standard. Problem is you can't assume your better players will hang around forever in an over-pressurised environment like Leeds. For me 2025 is the crucible year, where I would totally say that a finish outside the top 4 is not acceptable. For 2024 a play-offs spot would be good enough for me, yes.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member7381
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2074_1714824298.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_2074.jpg

I agree with Jim that most of the errors are not directly about any style the team are being asked to play. We are making these consistently through games, including spells when the pressure is off. Of course when we have been under the pump for extended periods of time the incidence of errors and penalties increases.

Re: the forwards, they need to step up collectively. Individually few have done much of merit this season. Oledski needs to be more aggressive, run hard more often, and not simply look to go to ground quickly to win a quick PTB on every tackle.

Lisone might be a Matt Adamson style fans favourite but he's the first one that I would show the door to. His discipline is atrocious for a player who spends so little time on the field. We are not getting value for our quota spot here. His 5 minute cameos might work against poorer sides but he lacks the size and impact to be a competition leading player. He might be worth it if the rest of the forwards are laying some sort of platform but that's not happening.

McDonnell was a strong player last season but he seems to have faded a lot. Reading Redvee (I know!), they seem to regard him as a bit of a grub and can't understand why Leeds put so much stock in him. I don't agree with all of that, but he does seem to be really struggling this season. Cameron Smith is another who looks really out of sorts. Goudemand looks pretty anonymous. Might as well give Donaldson another run out...

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain4719
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 20186 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
77264_1540382825.jpg

Quote: ArthurClues "
Who else would he pick though Clueso? He tried Lumb who went pop. Edgell is game but not a big lad, and is gonna get dominated in the tackle and in D potentially more than Roberts, who at least has some size. Ned McCormack could play wing but probably isn't quite quick enough (looked like he got chased down a bit against Luke Briscoe at one point against Donny..), and again is learning his trade in RL. Jack Smith I think has been injured. RS brought in Matty Russell who went pop within 30 minutes. What do you want him to do?

Roberts looks miles better at centre where he's not so exposed under the high bomb, but RS has to pick the least bad side he can - like Frawley in for Sinfield, which for Saints I actually think was the right selection because of his D. Hurrell ran at him all night, if they'd have done the same on Sinfield he'd have really, really struggled. If Jack had missed 12-15 tackles and let Hurrell run over him several times, everyone on here would be criticising Smith to high heaven for exposing the young lad too early, he literally can't win.

The only thing that can protect Smith is winning games, as soon as you're losing too much then the knives come out and people vent their frustrations and blame. We should be winning 3/4 of the next fixtures and putting better performances in.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain4719
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 20186 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
77264_1540382825.jpg

Quote: Exeter Rhino "I agree with Jim that most of the errors are not directly about any style the team are being asked to play. We are making these consistently through games, including spells when the pressure is off. Of course when we have been under the pump for extended periods of time the incidence of errors and penalties increases.

Re
Agree - with McDonnell the problem is, like with Holroyd, they both do a ton of work in D which gasses them. They're having to do this work because players around them aren't - I just think it makes both players look worse than they actually are. Both would look way better playing with 2 really high quality forwards to take some pressure off.

Lisone is devastating on his day, but for an experienced player he doesn't control it well enough. Giving away penalties when you're in possession is mindless. Again, he only works well in a team that is already dominant, and he can come in and twist the knife. He doesn't have the control to work well in a team under pressure.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain1754No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 20177 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

We'r a terribly coached team, we have no structure and no plan, obvious to anyone with eyes

Our talent ID is also appalling, what kind of team are we, its Smiths team now, thats last seasons excuses out the way, so what does a Smith team look like:

Are we a Big team?
Are we a Quick team?
Are we a fit team?
Are we an intelligent team?
Are we a resilient team?

The answers no to all, we have no playing identity that translates to successful RL.

He will leave us, hopefully soon, in as bad a mess as he found us

RankPostsTeam
Moderator9191
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
27287_1532947987.png
BELIEVE. BELIEF. BEYOND. IT AIN'T WHERE YOUR FROM, ITS WHERE YOUR AT. SWMC Coach's very own timekeeping aficionado & expert stair inspector.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_27287.png

Ive said it before, he wont be going until the end of the season unless he quits (which he wont)

We cant be relegated so there's no onus on the hierarchy to get rid until then.

Best you might see is an announcement that hes off home at end of season / got a new exciting opportunity back home / family issue and thats it if we get pumped in next few games.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner6706No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200421 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Fir smith to say we're still a new side and for anyone to give him mitigation for our current plight, look at Rowley and what he's had to face with his star players been sold having to pull a team together in the off season. Smith has an embarrassment of resources compared to Salford yet they still continue to overachieve.

1182 posts in 80 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
1182 posts in 80 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

3.0927734375:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
WIRE YED Prediction Competition Grand Final
Wire n Steel
36m
Who do you want to win the Grand Final
Wires71
58m
New Players
the-bearded-
Recent
Film game
Boss Hog
Recent
DoR - New Coach - Investor & Adam - New signings
UllFC
Recent
George Hirst
RobRiches
Recent
Championship Play Off Final
PopTart
Recent
Kit for Saturday
Pie Eyed
Recent
Finn out Murrell in
Listenup94
Recent
Play-off Semi Final Toulouse A
kaybenbull
FORUM
LAST
VIEW
TOPIC
POSTER
BORED The Band Name Game
Boss Hog
1m
Film game
Boss Hog
1m
Finn out Murrell in
Listenup94
1m
Oli Leyland confirmed 2 year deal
Captain Hook
1m
Wire n Steel
1m
Has anyone got any idea what is going on
Deadcowboys1
1m
Kit for Saturday
Pie Eyed
2m
dan russell confirmed 2 year contract
Wires71
2m
Refs referring it to video as a try or not
Wanderer
3m
IN 2025 Keenan Palasia - Expires 2026
BigRoy
FORUM
NEW
TOPICS
TOPIC
POSTER
Kit for Saturday
Pie Eyed
TODAY
George Hirst
RobRiches
TODAY
Player of the Season 2024
Jimmythecuck
TODAY
Released Players List
Jemmo
TODAY
IN 2025 Jake Connor - Expires 2026
Seth
TODAY
Has anyone got any idea what is going on
Deadcowboys1
TODAY
Awards
The Avenger
TODAY
dan russell confirmed 2 year contract
Wires71
TODAY
Play-off Semi Final Toulouse A
kaybenbull
TODAY
2025 Catalans Dragons Kit
Jimmythecuck
TODAY
Oli Leyland confirmed 2 year deal
Captain Hook
TODAY
Wire n Steel
TODAY
Transfer Talk V5
Toosmooth
TODAY
OUT 2025 Leon Ruan - Released
chapylad
TODAY
IN 2025 Cooper Jenkins - Expires 2026
christopher
TODAY
Search Sexy Girls from your city for night - Authentic Damse
excruciating
TODAY
IN 2025 Keenan Palasia - Expires 2026
BigRoy
TODAY
2024 Southstandercom Prediction Competition Grand Final
FoxyRhino
TODAY
York Valkyrie Win Back to Back Grand Finals
RLFANS News
TODAY
NRL
Deadcowboys1
TODAY
Penrith Panthers Secure Fourth Consecutive Title
RLFANS News
TODAY
Seeking favourite images from grounds - past or present
retrosports
TODAY
Grand final Tickets
Egg Chasing
TODAY
Wigan Humiliate Leigh For Grand Final Place
Wildthing
NEWS ITEMS
VIEWS
York Valkyrie Win Back to Back..
Hunslet Book Relegation Play O..
Penrith Panthers Secure Fourth..
Wigan Humiliate Leigh For Gran..
Hull KR Survive Warrington Fig..
Warrington Wolves Break Saints..
Leigh Leopards Make Play Off P..
Catalans Dragons Finish Sevent..
Hull KR Secure Second With Vic..
Wigan Seal League Leaders Trop..
Wakefield Trinity Sweep Aside ..
Catalans Keep Season Alive Wit..
Salford Ensure Play-Offs And S..
Ruthless Wigan Thrash the Rhin..
Huddersfield Giants Hold Off L..
POSTSONLINEREGISTRATIONSRECORD
19.64M 3,052 80,13414,103
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.

When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
RLFANS Match Centre
 Sat 12th Oct
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R30
18:00
Hull KR
v
Wigan
 Sun 13th Oct
       Championship 2024-R30
15:00
Swinton
v
Hunslet
Wakefield
v
York
17:00
Toulouse
v
Bradford
 Sun 27th Oct
     Mens Internationals 2024-R2
14:30
England M
v
Samoa M
 Sat 2nd Nov
     Womens Internationals 2024-R2
12:00
ENGLAND W
v
WALES W
     Mens Internationals 2024-R3
England M
v
Samoa M
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)
Matches on TV
Sat 12th Oct
SL
18:00
Hull KR-Wigan
Sun 13th Oct
CH
Swinton-Hunslet
Sun 27th Oct
MINT2024
England M-Samoa M
Sat 2nd Nov
MINT2024
England M-Samoa M
Sun 6th Oct
L1 26 Keighley6-20Hunslet
CH 29 Bradford25-12Featherstone
WSL2024 16 York V18-8St.HelensW
NRL 31 Melbourne6-14Penrith
Sat 5th Oct
CH 29 York27-10Widnes
SL 29 Wigan38-0Leigh
Fri 4th Oct
SL 29 Hull KR10-8Warrington
Sun 29th Sep
L1 25 Rochdale26-46Hunslet
CH 28 Barrow24-26Widnes
CH 28 Bradford50-0Swinton
CH 28 Dewsbury28-8Sheffield
CH 28 Wakefield72-6Doncaster
CH 28 Whitehaven23-20Halifax
CH 28 York16-6Featherstone
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Mens Betfred Super League XXVIII ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wigan 28 759 336 423 46
Hull KR 28 729 335 394 44
Warrington 29 769 351 418 42
Leigh 29 580 442 138 33
Salford 28 556 561 -5 32
St.Helens 28 618 411 207 30

Catalans 27 475 427 48 30
Leeds 27 530 488 42 28
Huddersfield 27 468 658 -190 20
Castleford 27 425 735 -310 15
Hull FC 27 328 894 -566 6
LondonB 27 317 916 -599 6
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Betfred Championship 2024 ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wakefield 26 1010 262 748 50
Bradford 27 703 399 304 36
Toulouse 25 744 368 376 35
York 28 682 479 203 32
Widnes 27 561 502 59 29
Featherstone 27 634 525 109 28

Sheffield 26 626 526 100 28
Doncaster 26 498 619 -121 25
Halifax 26 509 650 -141 22
Batley 26 422 591 -169 22