Sep 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2018Apr 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Black Backgrounds/Earl%20Sinclair.gif
:Black Backgrounds/Earl%20Sinclair.gif

Personally I still like Briscoe and I am hoping this years lack of consistency is down to bedding into a new team. However, I am concerned that the lack of understanding between him and Watkins is not getting any better. How many passes have gone straight into touch? Is this a Briscoe or a Watkins problem? As for Watkins, havent seen anything special from him this year.

RankPostsTeam
International Star11412No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2021Jul 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

"The Golden Generation finally has its Golden Fleece! They have Wembley Cup Final winners medals to add to their collection." 23/08/2014:

Quote: Him "I reckon the bench plays few minutes because they don't offer much and it's seen as better to have a knackered Peacock on the pitch than a fresh Kirke or Bailey. So Peacock is on for as long as is absolutely possible.

I know it can be a bit of a vicious circle in that as they only get few minutes it's more difficult to shine, but too often I see Kirke or Bailey come on to spell Peacock or Leuluai and they make no impact whatsoever. I could understand if they came on and were defensive workhorses, but they're not. Neither are excellent in defence, Bailey in particular is poor in this area. So they offer very little.'"

Bailey has one of the best tackles made/missed tackles percentages in the team

Peacock 780 made / 55 missed
Delaney 751/53
Ablett 660/59
Aiton 557/29
Sinfield 534/39
Stevie Ward 515/51
Singleton 467/44
Leuluai 448/39
Bailey 433/20
Watkins 427/27

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach9059
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
23603_1336678755.jpg
"Look, I'd never use injuries as an excuse..." Daryl Powell:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_23603.jpg

As others have said, the pack have been too easily bogged down with the consequence that when the ball has gone wide (often slowly) the main onus on the outside backs has still been to make metres up field rather than taking the riskier option of cutting loose. Contrast us with Wigan: by the time they're on their 4th or 5th they're well up field and put the ball wide with lots of dummy runners and tend to make good metres. Their attacks don't always pay off but if not the turnover is still close to the opponents line. We struggle to get to half way by the 5th, having ventured little in the way of attacking play. We then put a long kick in, usually with a good chase it has to be said, but the chasers have already taken a battering whilst getting the kicker into position. The turnover is often in the same area as Wigan's but by then our defenders are exhausted and yield ground readily, often on the back of a penalty of the kind often given away by a fatigued defence.
Our halves are slow; that they are quality players is still apparent but they now play at a tempo reminiscent of good players that have dropped down to championship level.
Our long and short kicking games often leave much to be desired, although in the former instance much of the fault is from playing behind a labouring pack.
Aiton does a job, not much more, and the perception of Burrow having retained his speed is purely that; too often he's running at markers who've had ample time to position themselves but even when he's not, he's easily caught.

RankPostsTeam
International Star489
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2019May 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
52459_1283239015.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_52459.jpg

For me the decision by Hardaker to get the ball over the try line rather than grounding it and taking time over a drop out, kicking it 50/60m down field is the bigger fault. We didn't need the points, we needed field position and time. Briscoe knocking on is unfortunate and even if he had caught it would have been forced back over the line anyway due to the entire defence being 5+ yards offside - how it wasn't picked up by the video ref is beyond me! Maybe we should start a Twitbook group and harangue the RFL into investigating it!

DHM
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach8893
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2024Apr 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
25511_1478008518.jpg
"Well, I think in Rugby League if you head butt someone there's normally some repercusions":d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_25511.jpg

Quote: BrisbaneRhino "DHM - I tend to agree a bit more with Him, as I wouldn't underestimate the role of power forwards in setting up attacking play. A blockbusting forward hitting the line draws in defenders and provides options for the next play that simply don't exist if a forward plods into the line then gets manhandled into a slow PTB. I don't think Leeds have a single forward who decent opposition are genuinely scared could score a try through sheer power if they drop their guard.

'"

I don't recall too many times this year when the Leeds pack has been significantly outplayed or battered. I think our pack has been as good as anyones. What we do with the ball is the issue. First part of the season we attacked with depth, width and confused the opposition with Hardaker running free on both flanks. Achurch was being given the ball in a wide channel on the right and was looking like the real deal at last rather than having Delaney et al constantly attacking the angle back into the space behind the ruck, which was the only way we made metres last season. It didn't last, and I don't think that is because our props got tired.
Achurch and then Burrow getting injured, followed by Hardaker's ban saw Leeds revert to what they have been dong for the last 2-3 seasons, and our attack fell apart. What really gets you a quick PTB against a disorganised defence is putting a few offloads together, if we had King Kong in the front row it wouldn't help if all he did was stick the ball up his jumper and ran down the middle.

What I think we need? A really good wide running second row on the right to balance up with Ablett on the left (Achurch almost looked like he was going to do the job but frankly patience with him has expired), a top class 9 so Burrow can play 7 and McGuire can retire gracefully, and some very new ideas on attack that have for example, Ryan Hall getting the ball like Big Les used to get it from Hape, 5 yards out and on the move (he's score every week if we gave him a couple of those) - and that means a fresh coaching structure.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5526No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2019Mar 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: DHM "I don't recall too many times this year when the Leeds pack has been significantly outplayed or battered. I think our pack has been as good as anyones. What we do with the ball is the issue. First part of the season we attacked with depth, width and confused the opposition with Hardaker running free on both flanks. Achurch was being given the ball in a wide channel on the right and was looking like the real deal at last rather than having Delaney et al constantly attacking the angle back into the space behind the ruck, which was the only way we made metres last season. It didn't last, and I don't think that is because our props got tired.
Achurch and then Burrow getting injured, followed by Hardaker's ban saw Leeds revert to what they have been dong for the last 2-3 seasons, and our attack fell apart. What really gets you a quick PTB against a disorganised defence is putting a few offloads together, if we had King Kong in the front row it wouldn't help if all he did was stick the ball up his jumper and ran down the middle.

What I think we need? A really good wide running second row on the right to balance up with Ablett on the left (Achurch almost looked like he was going to do the job but frankly patience with him has expired), a top class 9 so Burrow can play 7 and McGuire can retire gracefully, and some very new ideas on attack that have for example, Ryan Hall getting the ball like Big Les used to get it from Hape, 5 yards out and on the move (he's score every week if we gave him a couple of those) - and that means a fresh coaching structure.'"

I'd agree with all of this although maybe a little harsh on Achurch. He [iwas[/i begining to look like what was needed on the right but since his recovery from injury the coach has reverted to giving him bit parts ....and at prop.

It's almost as if any fringe player who begins to look like a threat to any of McDermott's favourites is again put back in his place for fear of then having to make some tougher selection decisions.

RankPostsTeam
International Star1902No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Briscoe obviously has had a poor season, but he has been given very little running chances from his inside backs.
Looking at the wire -widnes match chris bridges passing to Monaghan was superb, drawing the cover and passing. Briscoe is a good finisher but he needed some quality ball, on most occasions this season he did not get decent ball.

RankPostsTeam
International Star283
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2018Apr 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Black Backgrounds/Earl%20Sinclair.gif
:Black Backgrounds/Earl%20Sinclair.gif

Quote: Backwoodsman "Briscoe obviously has had a poor season, but he has been given very little running chances from his inside backs.
Looking at the wire -widnes match chris bridges passing to Monaghan was superb, drawing the cover and passing. Briscoe is a good finisher but he needed some quality ball, on most occasions this season he did not get decent ball.'"

Spot on!

DHM
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach8893
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2024Apr 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
25511_1478008518.jpg
"Well, I think in Rugby League if you head butt someone there's normally some repercusions":d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_25511.jpg

Quote: Backwoodsman "Briscoe obviously has had a poor season, but he has been given very little running chances from his inside backs.
Looking at the wire -widnes match chris bridges passing to Monaghan was superb, drawing the cover and passing. Briscoe is a good finisher but he needed some quality ball, on most occasions this season he did not get decent ball.'"

Briscoe and BJB scored plenty of tries off Watkins at the start of the season. Wonder how much ball Briscoe would have got had Tony Smith been coaching Leeds this year?

RankPostsTeam
International Star1309No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2021Jun 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
62325_1407754004.gif
[quote="Jamie Peacock MBE":af0ys02h]'There's been a couple of times during my career when I've thought about moving elsewhere but, when I run out in front of 17,000, 18,000 people at Headingley, I've thought 'nah, this is the place for me'.[/quote:af0ys02h] [img:af0ys02h]http://orig08.deviantart.net/430a/f/2012/119/7/9/wolverine_sign_by_zekua-d4xydfq.jpg[/img:af0ys02h]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_62325.gif

Quote: DHM "Briscoe and BJB scored plenty of tries off Watkins at the start of the season. Wonder how much ball Briscoe would have got had Tony Smith been coaching Leeds this year?'"

ALOT more

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member9565No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2019Dec 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
fonds noir/Buzz Lightyear.gif
:fonds noir/Buzz Lightyear.gif

I get your point DHM, and certainly wouldn't argue about the need for a second row with oomph a bit wider, but frankly any decent defence would not worry at all about either Peacock or Leuluai running at them either, no matter how close to the line. That means they don't need to pack the defence up the middle quite as much.

That issue is probably compounded by the fact that Aiton's no threat from acting half either - he played 20 games for not a single try.

Personally, and I know it would be unpopular for any number of reasons, but I'd love to see Hock at Leeds, as he'd provide the sort of punch we lack (not to mention threads a gazillion pages long).

In the end it comes down to structure as well as personnel, and its really odd that a team with anything up to five playmakers on the field at times is unable to fashion a set of 6 near the opponents' line that causes them real trouble. If anything I think it speaks of too many chiefs.

In any event the consensus seems to be that the era of Burrow as sub/ hooker should be over regardless. If he's not breaking games open from the bench its a waste of a bench place.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach15864No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Oct 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10145_1279728778.png
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_10145.png

Quote: BrisbaneRhino "I get your point DHM, and certainly wouldn't argue about the need for a second row with oomph a bit wider, but frankly any decent defence would not worry at all about either Peacock or Leuluai running at them either, no matter how close to the line. That means they don't need to pack the defence up the middle quite as much.

That issue is probably compounded by the fact that Aiton's no threat from acting half either - he played 20 games for not a single try.

Personally, and I know it would be unpopular for any number of reasons, but I'd love to see Hock at Leeds, as he'd provide the sort of punch we lack (not to mention threads a gazillion pages long).

In the end it comes down to structure as well as personnel, and its really odd that a team with anything up to five playmakers on the field at times is unable to fashion a set of 6 near the opponents' line that causes them real trouble. If anything I think it speaks of too many chiefs.

In any event the consensus seems to be that the era of Burrow as sub/ hooker should be over regardless. If he's not breaking games open from the bench its a waste of a bench place.'"
agree with most of that. In addition I would say that although our forwards make good meters, yhere is more to winning games than eating up the most meters. We dont really have forwards who get their noses through yhe line and get the defrnce retreating or quick play the balls. I think that is a major reason for lack of cutting edge

DHM
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach8893
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2024Apr 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
25511_1478008518.jpg

Quote: BrisbaneRhino "I get your point DHM, and certainly wouldn't argue about the need for a second row with oomph a bit wider, but frankly any decent defence would not worry at all about either Peacock or Leuluai running at them either, no matter how close to the line. That means they don't need to pack the defence up the middle quite as much.

In any event the consensus seems to be that the era of Burrow as sub/ hooker should be over regardless. If he's not breaking games open from the bench its a waste of a bench place.'"

You're right, there is little threat up the middle (made the point about McShane's ability to crash over from close in earlier). I actually think a big problem with that is the offload game we now don't play anymore. If the forwards up the middle could pop a few offloads it would draw in defenders and create the space out wide. I reckon a big reason we don't offload much is because McGuire isn't the support player he was and we don't have Webb in there lurking either. The outside backs don't roam either. If you could get Watkins or Moon taking offloads up the middle of the pitch for example it would massively increase the threat of any front row. Like I said, you can deal with one guy running no matter how big and strong if you know that's all he's going to do.

Agree about Burrow also. He must now play 7, McGuire, as great as he has been, must be retired.
Get a top class hooker, use Aiton as a relief hooker for him (he does have the strength to defend in the middle).

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach15864No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Oct 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10145_1279728778.png
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_10145.png

Quote: DHM "You're right, there is little threat up the middle (made the point about McShane's ability to crash over from close in earlier). I actually think a big problem with that is the offload game we now don't play anymore. If the forwards up the middle could pop a few offloads it would draw in defenders and create the space out wide. I reckon a big reason we don't offload much is because McGuire isn't the support player he was and we don't have Webb in there lurking either. The outside backs don't roam either. If you could get Watkins or Moon taking offloads up the middle of the pitch for example it would massively increase the threat of any front row. Like I said, you can deal with one guy running no matter how big and strong if you know that's all he's going to do.

Agree about Burrow also. He must now play 7, McGuire, as great as he has been, must be retired.
Get a top class hooker, use Aiton as a relief hooker for him (he does have the strength to defend in the middle).'"

I think the lack of offloads is more to do with lack of impact the forwards have on the defensive line. If they don't win the collission, its hard to offload. Most of our forwards hit the line slowly, and use leg drive to gain extra metres. We have a lot of grafters in our pack, and that works well in defense, but there is no-one really who threatens the line. Lets hope Cuthbertson adds this element

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner1606No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2021Jan 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: The Eagle "
I think the lack of offloads is more to do with lack of impact the forwards have on the defensive line. If they don't win the collission, its hard to offload. Most of our forwards hit the line slowly, and use leg drive to gain extra metres. We have a lot of grafters in our pack, and that works well in defense, but there is no-one really who threatens the line. Lets hope Cuthbertson adds this element'"

Totally agree. We need someone who'll hit the line with impact - that's what we're desperately lacking in both the forwards and the halves.

Anthony Tupou is out if contract at the Sharks - now he has had his injury issues, but when he is fit, he runs great lines, hits the ball up at a million miles an hour and has a fantastic offload game. He'd be a great addition to our pack and would give us something we've lacked since Ali left. He'd be a gamble due to his injuries, but he'd be relatively cheap at this stage of his career and the potential positives he'd bring would be massive.

113 posts in 9 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
113 posts in 9 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.05859375:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Shareholders Meeting
Scarlet Pimp
Recent
Bulls Accounts up to Nov 2023
Blotto
FORUM