JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2022Dec 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
40515_1330766741.jpg
Don't worry about avoiding temptation. As you grow older, it will avoid you! - Winston Churchill:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_40515.jpg

Quote: Fallon "So called ethos? What on earth does that mean? The club clearly have an ethos, it's plain for all to see.

How do you know mags will view the captaincy as a burden? Over many years mags has been capable of coming up with big match winning moments. That shows a player who gets better in pressure situations, not one of crumbles under the burden.

I actually think mags has remodelled himself from support player to creator as his pace has wained and age has crept up. He is capable of moving a team around if his half back partner can take up some of the creative duties (and sutty can).

Not sure who you would prefer as you didn't say.'"

I agree. Not sure if a permanent captain has been named yet but if it is to be McGuire then we should stop sniping and get behind him as he has earned the right for for an extended term.

IMO contenders for captaincy should be 'heads up' players who ideally can kick which, for me, rules out Ablett and Hardaker although the latter has shown some signs of maturing.

Because we have lost both Sinny and JP it will be difficult for any new captain to match this amount of leadership experience and there is an argument to appoint 2 or 3 vice captains to assist who could be a mix of senior players and next generation potential captains.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach3813No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2020Feb 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Hardaker seemed to do a lot of the organising work in defence last year and was a vocal leader but he's not suited to the captaincy role off the pitch or dealing with referees. Maybe a "leadership group" would be best, involving JJB, McGuire, Hardaker, Cuthbertson and Ward, but I'd fully expect McGuire to be official captain next year.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach36014
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10363_1334937642.jpg
SUPPORT SWAG...:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_10363.jpg

Quote: cheekydiddles "Our whole pre season is geared for peaking for the WCC

But with the experience we had out there today a very disappointing performance all the same

Wakefield defence was pretty good and their kicking game was a massive difference, especially in the first half as ours was none existent as was McGuire all game and Burrow for the first 50-60 mins.

I thought we would have given Baldwinson more than just the last 9 minutes

Golding was rightly adjudged the MOM for us and Garbutt was his usual self and Singleton tried hard as well and I thought Achurch also had some decent moments and was given lots of minutes

Falloon knocked out twice with his front on jump into the tackle technique so hard to judge him as I bet in his 2 spells he only had 10 mins combined

Galloway had a few half decent runs and odd good tackle but lost the ball (or was adjudged to have) three times in all so not the greatest debut but the conditions were dire, especially first half.

Let's hope there is a lot more to come from him as the first impression he left today was more Ben Cross compared to the immediate impression Cuthbertson made in the same game last year

The plodder Finn ran the show for Wakey with a great kicking game in the conditions

A well deserved win for Wakey and on that plucky showing they should/could avoid finishing bottom'"

I need to know what you mean by plodder?

If you mean he's not got the pace of a young McGuire or the agility of a Burrows then I concede that he indeed does not. He is pedestrian and due to his build always was and always will be.

However if you are talking about his ability as a RL play maker then you couldn't be more wrong. He's one of the smartest in the game and had we had the technology to sow his head on McGuires body we'd have had a world beater at H/B - but sadly that's not how it works.

Few players in SL is more competent and reliable than Finn. Nearly always finishes with a good last tackle option. Good short and long kicking game. Good hands with the ability to read the game and put the man in the gap. Robust defence. Sadly without the gift of being a true athlete he will never be a superstar and will always be dependant on the players around him to finish what he starts.

However because his game isn't built on physicality he will only get better with age and that will do for me any day of the week, all teams need that kind of player.

So a bit dumpy, quite slow both off the mark and over the distance and clearly not a world beater but a plodder - nah.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1488No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2023Jun 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: ThePrinter "As captain you have to remember that you aren't just captain of the team for 80 mins a week. You're the captain of the club off the pitch as well week in week out and all that entails especially regarding media stuff.

Don't think Ward should get it this season. Firstly he's going to miss around half of season and also it a big ask at his age. Now before anybody mentions Sinfield's age at taking over captaincy, he wasn't taking over a golden generation like Ward would be and Ward has only had one real full season as a starter.

Hardaker, is A leader, but not THE leader in my opinion.

McGuire has had his flaws regarding his temperament but then again he wasn't the captain at the time. Many players in the past in sport has changed with captaincy. Jon Wilkin often the crybaby of Grand Finals has matured as the senior player of his club.

I seem to remember games over Catalans and Castleford away and Wigan at home early last season with Sinfield absent and McGuire leading that we won.....seemingly other people's memories only stretch back to Boxing Day. The Castleford away game in particular was arguably our most professional 80 mins of the regular season in 2015.'"

sinfield didn't take over a golden generation
Leeds Rhinos team 2003 final
Gary Connolly, Mark Calderwood, Chris McKenna, Keith Senior, Francis Cummins, Kevin Sinfield, Andrew Dunemann, Ryan Bailey, Matt Diskin, Barrie McDermott, Chev Walker, Matt Adamson, David Furner

of that team bailey debuted 2002 calderwood and diskin 2001 , walker 99

mcguire s not a captain

and if he captained a different team he'd be treated like brough and briers

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach9058
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Apr 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
23603_1336678755.jpg
"Look, I'd never use injuries as an excuse..." Daryl Powell:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_23603.jpg

Quote: doc-rhino "mcguire s not a captain

and if he captained a different team he'd be treated like brough and briers'"

A pair of players with temperaments even more questionable than McGuire's. I can only imagine that fans of their clubs were distraught when they were made captains.

Until both led their clubs to their greatest successes in living memory, that is.

RankPostsTeam
International Star6848No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2023Jul 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
68072_1442575000.jpg
What you looking at?....Butt Head!!:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_68072.jpg

Quote: doc-rhino "sinfield didn't take over a golden generation
Leeds Rhinos team 2003 final
Gary Connolly, Mark Calderwood, Chris McKenna, Keith Senior, Francis Cummins, Kevin Sinfield, Andrew Dunemann, Ryan Bailey, Matt Diskin, Barrie McDermott, Chev Walker, Matt Adamson, David Furner

of that team bailey debuted 2002 calderwood and diskin 2001 , walker 99

mcguire s not a captain

and if he captained a different team he'd be treated like brough and briers'"

Mcguire hasn't got long left and is only going to be a stop gap Captain until Ward more than likely takes the role long term in 2017 or 2018.Whilst i don't see Mcguire as a natural captain myself, he is still a big link to the golden generation as has been stated and has filled in well when called on to be captain in recent times.I really don't see any issues at all with this only ever being a short term thing.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain600No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 20159 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2018Mar 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Why not have a group? McGuire as official captain, but take the pressure off him by giving Hardaker the defensive duties? JJB media duties? Cuthbertson in charge of the forwards? One man cannot fill the void that has been left by JP & kev, AND run the game at halfback with a rookie partner.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member17230No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2024Nov 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
3043_1291817917.jpg
#frostiesbitches We know who you are.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_3043.jpg

Because we have just gone through an era unprecedented with the perfect recipe. Something that would not have happened had we not gone that way.

We are now about to go through a new period with a lot of changes.

The proven model of success is to identify the right long term younger player, with the right qualities, and have that player grow and mature with the team behind him, leading a new period. Stop gaps is just a case of taking the eye off the ball and complacency.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach2093No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2020Jul 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Gotcha "Because we have just gone through an era unprecedented with the perfect recipe. Something that would not have happened had we not gone that way.

We are now about to go through a new period with a lot of changes.

The proven model of success is to identify the right long term younger player, with the right qualities, and have that player grow and mature with the team behind him, leading a new period. Stop gaps is just a case of taking the eye off the ball and complacency.'"

I assume you are referring to ward as the right long term player?

How do you know ward is the right long term player? Do you train with him every day? Play with him every week? Do you even know him?

McD has picked Mags and quite frankly his track record of decisions tends to be that many people question and scratch their heads over some of his calls but when the silver ware gets handed out he has got most of the decisions right over the season.

So how's about you trust the club, trust the coaching staff and trust the players. After all, these are the people that actually know what is going on day to day.

RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2024Nov 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
3043_1291817917.jpg

Quote: Fallon "I assume you are referring to ward as the right long term player?

How do you know ward is the right long term player? Do you train with him every day? Play with him every week? Do you even know him?

McD has picked Mags and quite frankly his track record of decisions tends to be that many people question and scratch their heads over some of his calls but when the silver ware gets handed out he has got most of the decisions right over the season.

So how's about you trust the club, trust the coaching staff and trust the players. After all, these are the people that actually know what is going on day to day.'"

I am not naming any specific player. I said the club should have identified the long term, and that is what they go with. When Hardaker agreed his deal, which was August 2014, he was also told the club wanted him to replace Sinfield for 2017 as long term captain.

A few things happened after that conversation, and of course Sinfield went earlier, which does of course disrupt plans.

For me though, if they thought they were right in what their plans were, they should have stuck to their gut feel, regardless of disruptions. That is what they did for the era we have just had, and at least in my opinion is what they should have repeated.

McGuire as captain is because of other incidents, not because he is the right man for what we need, and a panic move. That is the problem for me. Had McGuire another 10 years in him, and actually demonstrated at any time the ability to motivate and lead his team mates, it would have my 100% support. but been here the longest isn't good enough reasoning for me for such a role. But more importantly, I just think McGuire has a much bigger job on his plate than people realise for his playing role, without the distraction of leading his team mates.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach2093No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2020Jul 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Why is being captain seen as a distraction? I agree mags will be more important than he ever has been but that's not the same thing as not been able to handle it.

When Sinny got the armband he had a lot on his plate in terms of his age been seen as a detriment by many as he was still developing.

All I seem to hear from the anti-mags corner is it shouldn't be him because he is petulant and/or at the end of his career. Every player will have pros and cons but mags has more pros than the rest.

As for Zak I can't comment as I wasn't privy to his contract negotiations. If true then I would be disappointed with any club promising a young player something over two years in the future, there are so many variables as Zak went on to prove.

RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2024Nov 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
3043_1291817917.jpg

Quote: Fallon "Why is being captain seen as a distraction? I agree mags will be more important than he ever has been but that's not the same thing as not been able to handle it.

When Sinny got the armband he had a lot on his plate in terms of his age been seen as a detriment by many as he was still developing.

All I seem to hear from the anti-mags corner is it shouldn't be him because he is petulant and/or at the end of his career. Every player will have pros and cons but mags has more pros than the rest.

As for Zak I can't comment as I wasn't privy to his contract negotiations. If true then I would be disappointed with any club promising a young player something over two years in the future, there are so many variables as Zak went on to prove.'"

There isn't an anti Mags corner, and that is a pretty low statement to make. We are talking about the captaincy.

Your last paragraph tells me exactly where you are not picking up on the point made here. It isn't about promises, no player works on that scenario. It is about planning, exactly what they did 15 years back. Identify, promote, support, and work within that. That was what they obviously intended to do for Sinfields succession. If that was the right thing then, why revert to stop gaps? That is the point made.

I agree with you on the variables, and probably those variable might be why we are getting what we are for next year. Me personally though, I just don't think that makes it right.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain600No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 20159 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2018Mar 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Absolute rubbish regarding Hardaker being promised the captaincy when he signed a new deal. Yes, Sinfield has gone a year earlier than expected, so that makes McGuire the natural choice for now. Stevie Ward IS the long term captain. 12 months ago he was hell bent on going to Oz. Since then, he's matured immensely as a man, and is also probably the first / second name on the team sheet when fit. He is a very bright lad aswell. Injuries have hampered him slightly, but since he was in the academy, he's always been seen as Sinfield's successor.

RankPostsTeam
International Star11412No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2021Jul 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

"The Golden Generation finally has its Golden Fleece! They have Wembley Cup Final winners medals to add to their collection." 23/08/2014:

Quote: Stevosfalseteeth "Absolute rubbish regarding Hardaker being promised the captaincy when he signed a new deal.'"

Yes and an idea that even Gotcha has backtracked on in the past. The club wouldn't have made any promises/intentions to make someone captain so far away into the future and with other good contenders around and especially with Hardaker's questionable record (including just a few months prior to the time period of signing his new contract that Gotcha states above) with swinging a punch at a Carnegie player and that being the real reason Leeds made him quit the England WC squad.

It's a bit ridicolous that Gotcha is criticising the club for not having a long term plan over captaincy when the club hasn't actually come out and revealed their plans about it. For all he knows Leeds' long term plan was always to go to McGuire for a few years and then Ward, just because he doesn't agree with McGuire being captain doesn't mean that the club hasn't had plans regarding captaincy.

RankPostsTeam
International Star11412No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2021Jul 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

"The Golden Generation finally has its Golden Fleece! They have Wembley Cup Final winners medals to add to their collection." 23/08/2014:

Quote: Stevosfalseteeth "Why not have a group?.'"

We will do, because we always have done.

Sinfield said in the past how important the likes of Diskin, Senior and JJB were as leaders in the team (as well as Peacock obviously) so he never did it alone and neither will the new captain.

McGuire, Cuthbertson, Ablett, Hardaker, Ward, JJB, Burrow will all be part of the group of leaders in the squad regardless of who has the 'C' next to their name so why people have this idea that McGuire will be leading on his own I don't understand.

82 posts in 6 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
82 posts in 6 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

4.24560546875:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Round 16 London Home
batleyrhino
11m
Leeds
the-bearded-
11m
Other Championship Clubs
Trojan Horse
19m
Game - Song Titles
Boss Hog
20m
BORED The Band Name Game
Boss Hog
33m
TV Games - Not Hull
boardwalkemp
33m
TV games not Wire
karetaker
36m
Wigan v Sts discussion - THIS THREAD ONLY PLEASE
sergeant pep
42m
Toulouse A
Bull Mania
45m
This site is crap
tad rhino
FORUM
LAST
VIEW
TOPIC
POSTER
Other Championship Clubs
Trojan Horse
21s
Rumours thread
Trojan Horse
24s
Game - Song Titles
Boss Hog
24s
email
orangeman
26s
Squad 2024
faxcar
28s
2025 Recruitment
herr rigsby
31s
ALL NEW 49ERS ERA LEEDS UTD THREAD
Trebor1
39s
WHO IS NEXT
YosemiteSam
40s
Wigan v Sts discussion - THIS THREAD ONLY PLEASE
sergeant pep
41s
Vegas Baby
Jason65
FORUM
NEW
TOPICS
TOPIC
POSTER
email
orangeman
TODAY
This site is crap
tad rhino
TODAY
Lucky Leeds Golden Point Win Over the Broncos
RLFANS News
TODAY
Prettys Girls in your city for night
jackmac452
TODAY
Vegas Baby
Jason65
TODAY
Wigan Beat Leigh in Derby Thriller
RLFANS News
TODAY
Reserves
BigTime
TODAY
Tonights game v Giants
karetaker
TODAY
Free parking
Philth
TODAY
Salford Away Travel Information
LancashireRe
TODAY
Batley next
Kettykat
TODAY
Round 16 London Home
batleyrhino
TODAY
Leeds
the-bearded-
TODAY
Injuries and available cover
walter wall
TODAY
Problems with this Site continued
karetaker
TODAY
3 clubs apply to join League 1
Huddersfield
TODAY
Sadly one less Bronco
nkpom
TODAY
Fan Village
[Gareth]
TODAY
The Seagulls v The Panthers
terry silver
TODAY
Las Vegas 2025 English ladies involved
Huddersfield
TODAY
New halfback signing
Pyrah123
TODAY
Batley Bulldogs H
Dr Dreadnoug
TODAY
Squads - Leopards v Warriors
Cokey
TODAY
Best Wigan Tour Team
MattyB
NEWS ITEMS
VIEWS
Lucky Leeds Golden Point Win O..
Wigan Beat Leigh in Derby Thri..
Wakefield Trinity Register Thi..
Englands Youngsters Beat Franc..
Big Win for England Women Over..
2024 State of Origin - Game 2 ..
New Structure for 2025 Challen..
Super League form rewarded as ..
Superb Salford Complete Histor..
Catalans Dragons Survive Secon..
Warrington Wolves Snatch Late ..
Spirit of Rob Burrow Inspires ..
Hull KR Drop Goal Secures Win ..
St Helens Break Fifty As They ..
Leigh Leopards Resurgence Clai..
POSTSONLINEREGISTRATIONSRECORD
19.6M 3,264 ↑1880,08514,103
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.

When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
RLFANS Match Centre
 TODAY
     National Rugby League 2024-R18
 FT
Hover 
Canterbury
13-12
NZ Warriors
 FT
Hover 
Wests
28-40
Melbourne
 FT
Hover 
NQL Cowboys
20-22
Manly
     Womens Super League 2024-R7
 FT 
LeedsW
6-16
St.HelensW
 FT 
FeatherstoneW
0-50
WiganW
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R16
 FT 
Leeds
17-16
LondonB
       Championship 2024-R14
17:00
Toulouse
v
Bradford
17:30
Hull KR
v
Catalans
 TOMORROW
     National Rugby League 2024-R18
05:00
Sydney
v
St.George
07:05
Canberra
v
Newcastle
     Womens Super League 2024-R7
12:00
Wire W
v
Hudds W
12:00
York V
v
BarrowW
       League One 2024-R14
14:00
Newcastle
v
Workington
14:30
Crusaders
v
Midlands
15:00
Salford
v
Hull FC
       Championship 2024-R14
Dewsbury
v
Doncaster
Featherstone
v
Whitehaven
Swinton
v
Widnes
Wakefield
v
Batley
York
v
Barrow
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)
Matches on TV
Sat 6th Jul
SL
Hull KR-Catalans
SL
Leeds17-16LondonB
Sun 7th Jul
SL
Salford-Hull FC
Fri 12th Jul
SL
20:00
LondonB-Castleford
SL
Warrington-Leeds
SL
Warrington-St.Helens
Sat 13th Jul
SL
Hull FC-Hull KR
SL
00:00
Leigh-Huddersfield
SL
Catalans-Salford
Wed 17th Jul
SOO
11:05
Queensland-New South Wales
Sat 17th Aug
SL
18:00
Warrington-Leeds
SL
15:30
Wigan-St.Helens
SL
13:00
Hull FC-LondonB
Sun 18th Aug
SL
13:00
Leigh-Salford
SL
15:30
Catalans-Hull KR
SL
18:00
Huddersfield-Castleford
Sun 27th Oct
MINT2024
England M-Samoa M
Sat 2nd Nov
MINT2024
England M-Samoa M
Sat 6th Jul
NRL
LIVE
Canterbury13-12NZ Warriors
NRL
LIVE
Wests28-40Melbourne
NRL
LIVE
NQL Cowboys20-22Manly
SL
LIVE
Leeds17-16LondonB
WSL2024
LIVE
LeedsW6-16St.HelensW
WSL2024
LIVE
FeatherstoneW0-50WiganW
Fri 5th Jul
NRL 18 Cronulla16-20Gold Coast
NRL 18 Brisbane6-14Penrith
SL 16 St.Helens6-8Castleford
SL 16 Warrington48-0Huddersfield
SL 16 Wigan24-6Leigh
CH 14 Sheffield28-0Halifax
Thu 4th Jul
NRL 18 Parramatta16-32Souths
Sun 30th Jun
CH 13 Barrow0-36Wakefield
CH 13 Dewsbury12-38Bradford
CH 13 Halifax38-18Whitehaven
CH 13 Widnes16-24Batley
CH 13 York10-18Sheffield
L1 13 Cornwall10-16Crusaders
L1 13 Newcastle10-44Midlands
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Mens Betfred Super League XXVIII ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wigan 15 427 170 257 26
St.Helens 16 429 170 259 22
Warrington 16 406 213 193 22
Hull KR 15 383 201 182 22
Salford 15 295 288 7 20
Catalans 15 288 220 68 18

Leeds 16 291 286 5 18
Huddersfield 16 298 365 -67 12
Leigh 15 270 250 20 11
Castleford 16 246 435 -189 9
Hull FC 15 198 474 -276 4
LondonB 16 156 615 -459 2
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Betfred Championship 2024 ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wakefield 13 486 142 344 26
Sheffield 14 382 217 165 22
Bradford 13 341 218 123 18
Toulouse 12 332 174 158 16
Widnes 13 315 245 70 15
Featherstone 13 330 283 47 12

Batley 13 205 286 -81 12
Doncaster 13 237 325 -88 11
York 14 285 293 -8 10
Whitehaven 13 266 358 -92 10