JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 20177 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Think we'v had the best recruitment of anyone, wouldnt of thought in a million years we'd be signing Merrin, Hurrell and Lolohea in one offseason and McCllellends one of the best youngsters in the whole british game. Saints have done well but think our signings are of better quality.

I was a big critic of Mcdermott and of Lowes/Sinfield taking on the first team after him, so with a coach who i think will get much better performances from the existing players and some quality recruitment, im hoping and expecting to see some good, well structured attacking rugby and a 3rd to 5th place finish

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member17230No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Nov 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
3043_1291817917.jpg
#frostiesbitches We know who you are.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_3043.jpg

Quote: mattsrhinos1978 "Think we'v had the best recruitment of anyone, wouldnt of thought in a million years we'd be signing Merrin, Hurrell and Lolohea in one offseason and McCllellends one of the best youngsters in the whole british game. Saints have done well but think our signings are of better quality.

I was a big critic of Mcdermott and of Lowes/Sinfield taking on the first team after him, so with a coach who i think will get much better performances from the existing players and some quality recruitment, im hoping and expecting to see some good, well structured attacking rugby and a 3rd to 5th place finish'"

The best signings we have made is the coach, and changing the conditioner. That will have a big effect, a big imorovement.

In terms of recruitment, we needed a big change. But to look at reality, it really only boils down to changes rather than individuals. By that I mean, we now have a proper stand off, and a quality one. We now have gone back to two quality centres. And we are back to a leader in the pack.

However, is Hurrell really a big imorovement on Moon at centre? Not so sure, but will be glad to see it. I think people are tainted on Moon because of his final year. Briscoe is a massive downgrade on Hall. We have lost Garbutt, replaced with a quality individual in Merrin, an improvement. But an injury to Merrin and back to where we were, as currently stands.

McClelland I agree on, massive potential, but that is potential, and won’t come out if we keep persevering with Sutcliffe instead, as is the norm.

Not been negative on it, I am just been realistic, that there is still a lot of if’s.

RankPostsTeam
International Star747
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 201410 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
72944_1455360798.jpg
Lifelong supporter, marching on together:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_72944.jpg

To be Frank I really don't care where we finish this year, all I want is to see entertaining games and come away from Headingly with a smile on my face. I think silverware may be a little too ambitious but to be challanging will be a "right result"

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach9061
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200619 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
23603_1336678755.jpg
"Look, I'd never use injuries as an excuse..." Daryl Powell:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_23603.jpg

Quote: Gotcha "However, is Hurrell really a big imorovement on Moon at centre? Not so sure, but will be glad to see it. I think people are tainted on Moon because of his final year. Briscoe is a massive downgrade on Hall. We have lost Garbutt, replaced with a quality individual in Merrin, an improvement. But an injury to Merrin and back to where we were, as currently stands.

McClelland I agree on, massive potential, but that is potential, and won’t come out if we keep persevering with Sutcliffe instead, as is the norm.

Not been negative on it, I am just been realistic, that there is still a lot of if’s.'"

Yup, lots of ifs. Re Moon, to me it seemed his powers were on the wane (see what I did there?) so Hurrell's probably an improvement. As it stands, the biggest loss from Hall is the metres he made running the ball out. IF we sign more grunt up front the effects of his loss will diminish. But it's pretty unrealistic to suppose we'd sign his equal and in any case wing is lower priority than some of the issues that have been addressed. Injuries can scupper any side though with the front row we seem stuck with, we may be in a parallel version of that scenario already. Also, no-one seems to have mentioned our kicking game. Stank last year, albeit our field positions were poor. Do we have the right mix of talents to address this?

RankPostsTeam
International Star6848No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2023Jul 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
68072_1442575000.jpg
What you looking at?....Butt Head!!:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_68072.jpg

Quote: Gotcha "The best signings we have made is the coach, and changing the conditioner. That will have a big effect, a big imorovement.

In terms of recruitment, we needed a big change. But to look at reality, it really only boils down to changes rather than individuals. By that I mean, we now have a proper stand off, and a quality one. We now have gone back to two quality centres. And we are back to a leader in the pack.

However, is Hurrell really a big imorovement on Moon at centre? Not so sure, but will be glad to see it. I think people are tainted on Moon because of his final year. Briscoe is a massive downgrade on Hall. We have lost Garbutt, replaced with a quality individual in Merrin, an improvement. But an injury to Merrin and back to where we were, as currently stands.

Not been negative on it, I am just been realistic, that there is still a lot of if’s.'"

That's fair enough assessment and pretty much how i would see it. Next year is about true transition at last though, the changes made so far are encouraging and i expect more big changes to be made during the next summer when Furner will know who he wants and doesn't and has chance to identify what he needs.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain1752No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 20177 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Gotcha "The best signings we have made is the coach, and changing the conditioner. That will have a big effect, a big imorovement.

Yeah i mentioned the change of coach getting more out of the existing players

With regards the signings, i dont think anyone can complain, we'r signing as good a level a player as we can realisticly expect, in merrins case maybe a higher level of player any of us would expect to be coming over here. Injuries happen, clubs can only put together as good a squad as they can and hope for the best on that score, Merrin might play every game and so might ward and watkins , then we'd be instantly a better team than last year. Hurrels a better than moon but in reality moon played very few games at and certainly not paired with watkins, Hurrell and Watkins is lightyears ahead of any combination we put out last year. Loloheas a much better six than either one of moon or suttcliffe and merrin will be, on paper, our best forward and a much needed leader, i dont expect him to be garbutts replacement, think that players still to come in. Agree briscoe or handley are massive drop offs from hall.

With the squad we'v got and the improvment i think furner will bring, i dont think making the playoffs is an unrealistic expectation.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach9061
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200619 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
23603_1336678755.jpg
"Look, I'd never use injuries as an excuse..." Daryl Powell:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_23603.jpg

For sure, especially as it's now top 5.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain4719
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 20186 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
77264_1540382825.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_77264.jpg

Quote: LeedsLurch "To be Frank I really don't care where we finish this year, all I want is to see entertaining games and come away from Headingly with a smile on my face. I think silverware may be a little too ambitious but to be challanging will be a "right result"'"

I get what people mean with the style of play, but I don’t think it’s possible to play beautiful rugby whilst getting beaten most weeks. In order to play, we still need a platform set by the forwards and momentum established, and to be winning basically.
It may well take another season to complete the transition but we should be competitive even next year.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member17230No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Nov 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
3043_1291817917.jpg
#frostiesbitches We know who you are.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_3043.jpg

Quote: KaeruJim "I get what people mean with the style of play, but I don’t think it’s possible to play beautiful rugby whilst getting beaten most weeks. In order to play, we still need a platform set by the forwards and momentum established, and to be winning basically.
It may well take another season to complete the transition but we should be competitive even next year.'"

We haven’t played good rugby in a number of years, even when winning. I think that is more what is spoken of.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4934
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2022Dec 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
40515_1330766741.jpg
Don't worry about avoiding temptation. As you grow older, it will avoid you! - Winston Churchill:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_40515.jpg

I too would have liked us to have signed two big props. However the new recruits are quality and under Furner we could adapt our attack to major on the backs and be less reliant on the big middle men which we really have not had since JP and Kylie left.

I remember the days of coach Roy Francis and what many consider to be the the most entertaining rugby Leeds have ever played. We went for speed, handling skills and great back up and destroyed opposition with this approach. With the current game mired down with congested defense and one up rugby the game it is crying out for a change.

Perhaps some deeper attacking lines, especially from scrums, and longer missed passes will release the backs into space and we can then run opposition big men breathless.

I remain an optimist.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach7374
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200817 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Soon we will be dancing the Fandango FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB'S DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESS THEN I DONT KNOW WHAT IS. JAMIE PEACOCK:

I also hope that these new signings don't sustain long term injury's early on and "out for 12 weeks "etc and turns into season ending. Hope we have better luck with injury's in general basically

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain300No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 20186 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Lots of valid points in this thread and also a lot of things I agree with. In terms of hopes I think the following for me, appreciating a lot are interlinked:

1. We play a better brand of rugby. What I mean by this is rugby that is entertaining to watch and makes me look forward to going to a game or watching it on TV. Some part of this involves an attacking structure of some degree which I think Furner will bring.

2. We have far less injuries and look a much fitter team. Accept that injuries happen but would hope we generally have better luck with injuries, we look much fitter generally and we don’t have half injured players turning out.

3. We get some spirit and toughness back. This is mainly forward based but I can’t stand watching us getting completely battered in the forwards and generally looking like we are soft. This could have been number one but I would rather watch good rugby, thinking if we play good rugby some level of toughness would need to be involved. I think Merrin could play a huge part in this.

4. We play players in the proper position. Not sure if Merrin is a 13 or 10 in SL. We shall see, but generally players playing in the correct position and using the skills they have. Thinking Ward, Cam Smith and how we use them moving forward.

5. We see more of the exciting youngsters, maybe they get a bit of game time. In and around the first team, pushing up competition and giving us some youthful enthusiasm.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain370
JoinedServiceReputation
May 20186 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2023Aug 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Guys this year will be 100% better, maybe winning the GF in 2017 turned out to be our enigma, it gave us a false sense of security for last season and even with RB and DM moving on McDermott believed we had sufficient talent for last year The biggest changes from last year is in the back room, from the start we simply was not fit enough yet we were losing games by one point or winning games. When the injuries came it all went downhill, replacements coming into the team was not good enough, How many of the fringe players were given pay rises on the back of the last GF win, the worse problem was attitude and the rumours that was going around the place regarding fitness and players unable to play. Whatever happened behind the closed doors the good thing to come out of it was the sacking of McDermott. We now have a back room team who are all pulling in the same direction, quality from the very top with Sinfield and Furner, qualities players now getting back to full fitness and will be ready for the start of the season, some fantastic signings and one more signing to come in should we get rid of some players on the wage roll, Mulalley, Walters, Omondroyde etc. Last year we had a lot of players playing out of position square pegs in round holes this year it will be different, we may not get to the GF or win the CC, but expect a good season. Guys don't expect too much out of our first three games if we win one then great, but if we lose all three lets be patient before we start shouting for Furner to be sacked, it will take time for the team to gel, remember its not how we start its how we finish next season.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach9061
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200619 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
23603_1336678755.jpg

I reckon for Mullally, Ormondroyd or Walters to move on, someone's going to have to offer 2 years minimum or a decent pay rise for this year. Is either that likely?

RankPostsTeam
Moderator31835
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
438_1551258406.jpg
"If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them," - Wayne Bennett.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_438.jpg

On the “wanting to see good rugby” wish that a few people have. It’s a lot easier to do that if your players are fit, the forwards are on top and the halfbacks are providing a lead. On the first point I’d expect players to be fitter than in recent years. On the second I believe you’re two decent props away from top 5, if you’re not dominating the collision and getting a quick play the ball you simply cannot chuck the ball around and “play good rugby”. The days of Roy Francis are long gone, the space just isn’t there on the field anymore for that brand of rugby unless you’re bossing things up front. On the third it depends how players gel. Lolohea is a bit off the cuff and Myler isn’t really a playmaker. It’ll be interesting to see how they go. I believe they’ll be an improvement on what you had last year.
On whether you can offload Mulally, Ormondroyd or Walters you have to ask who’d take them now? I think you’re stuck with them until someone has an injury crisis come Easter.

94 posts in 7 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
94 posts in 7 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

4.9052734375:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Decision on the field
--[ WW ]--
3m
SL CHAT THREAD OTHER TEAMS GAMES
chapylad
16m
ALL NEW 49ERS ERA LEEDS UTD THREAD
chapylad
31m
Leigh it is
exiled Warri
47m
Rumours thread
PopTart
50m
Tonights match v HKR
ChampagneSup
Recent
Proposed rule changes 2025
MjM
Recent
Isa 1 year extension
Rogues Galle
Recent
Who do you want to win the Grand Final
The Cooke Re
Recent
Fev H Play Off
Bully_Boxer
FORUM
LAST
VIEW
TOPIC
POSTER
WIRE YED Prediction Competition Hull KR Away Play Off Semi
rubber ducki
53s
TV games not Wire
100% Wire
58s
DoR - New Coach - Investor & Adam - New signings
Offy86
1m
2024 IMG gradings
northernblok
1m
Worst semi
Barstool Pre
1m
SL CHAT THREAD OTHER TEAMS GAMES
chapylad
1m
Squad 2024
Tony Fax
2m
Transfer Talk / Rumour thread V4
Seth
2m
Fev H Play Off
Bully_Boxer
2m
Sam Burgess
Bobby Digita
FORUM
NEW
TOPICS
TOPIC
POSTER
Decision on the field
--[ WW ]--
TODAY
Who do you want to win the Grand Final
The Cooke Re
TODAY
Worst semi
Barstool Pre
TODAY
2025 TRANSFER AND RETENTION RUMOURS
Listenup94
TODAY
Sam Burgess
Bobby Digita
TODAY
Hull KR Survive Warrington Fightback To Secure Grand Final Spot
RLFANS News
TODAY
Squad 2025
Nat (Rugby_A
TODAY
Tonights match v HKR
ChampagneSup
TODAY
Isa 1 year extension
Rogues Galle
TODAY
2024 IMG gradings
northernblok
TODAY
Championship Awards
Butcher
TODAY
Season tickets
Hudd-Shay
TODAY
Best Semi
sir adrian m
TODAY
Ben Condon is a Leopard
Jack Gaskell
TODAY
Squads - Leopards v Warriors
Vancouver Le
TODAY
Any decent RL reads for me hols
norbellini
TODAY
Championship Play Off Final
PopTart
TODAY
Man of Steel
matt_wire
TODAY
Guest appearance
AgbriggAmble
TODAY
Squad for HKR
MorePlaymake
TODAY
Proposed rule changes 2025
MjM
TODAY
Fev H Play Off
Bully_Boxer
TODAY
Whose going for a beer in Wigan Saturday
Deeeekos
TODAY
Play-off semi-final
BarnsleyGull
TODAY
Coach of the Year
Howfenwire
TODAY
Greatest game ever at HJ
Fantastic Mr
TODAY
World Club Challenge
Barstool Pre
NEWS ITEMS
VIEWS
Hull KR Survive Warrington Fig..
Warrington Wolves Break Saints..
Leigh Leopards Make Play Off P..
Catalans Dragons Finish Sevent..
Hull KR Secure Second With Vic..
Wigan Seal League Leaders Trop..
Wakefield Trinity Sweep Aside ..
Catalans Keep Season Alive Wit..
Salford Ensure Play-Offs And S..
Ruthless Wigan Thrash the Rhin..
Huddersfield Giants Hold Off L..
Salford Close In On The Play O..
Leigh Leopards Up To Fourth Af..
Leeds Rhinos Into the Six Afte..
Wigan Warriors Defeat Hull KR ..
POSTSONLINEREGISTRATIONSRECORD
19.64M +13,167 ↓-2280,13114,103
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.

When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
RLFANS Match Centre
 TODAY
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R29
17:30
Wigan
v
Leigh
 TOMORROW
     National Rugby League 2024-R31
09:30
Melbourne
v
Penrith
       League One 2024-R26
15:00
Keighley
v
Hunslet
       Championship 2024-R29
Bradford
v
Featherstone
York
v
Widnes
     Womens Super League 2024-R16
16:30
York V
v
St.HelensW
 Sun 27th Oct
     Mens Internationals 2024-R2
14:30
England M
v
Samoa M
 Sat 2nd Nov
     Womens Internationals 2024-R2
12:00
ENGLAND W
v
WALES W
     Mens Internationals 2024-R3
England M
v
Samoa M
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)
Matches on TV
Sat 5th Oct
SL
17:30
Wigan-Leigh
Sun 6th Oct
L1
Keighley-Hunslet
WSL2024
16:30
York V-St.HelensW
NRL
09:30
Melbourne-Penrith
Sun 27th Oct
MINT2024
England M-Samoa M
Sat 2nd Nov
MINT2024
England M-Samoa M
Fri 4th Oct
SL 29 Hull KR10-8Warrington
Sun 29th Sep
L1 25 Rochdale26-46Hunslet
CH 28 Barrow24-26Widnes
CH 28 Bradford50-0Swinton
CH 28 Dewsbury28-8Sheffield
CH 28 Wakefield72-6Doncaster
CH 28 Whitehaven23-20Halifax
CH 28 York16-6Featherstone
Sat 28th Sep
CH 28 Toulouse64-16Batley
SL 28 Warrington23-22St.Helens
NRL 30 Penrith26-6Cronulla
Fri 27th Sep
SL 28 Salford6-14Leigh
NRL 30 Melbourne48-18Sydney
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Mens Betfred Super League XXVIII ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Hull KR 28 729 335 394 44
Wigan 27 721 336 385 44
Warrington 29 769 351 418 42
Leigh 28 580 404 176 33
Salford 28 556 561 -5 32
St.Helens 28 618 411 207 30

Catalans 27 475 427 48 30
Leeds 27 530 488 42 28
Huddersfield 27 468 658 -190 20
Castleford 27 425 735 -310 15
Hull FC 27 328 894 -566 6
LondonB 27 317 916 -599 6
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Betfred Championship 2024 ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wakefield 26 1010 262 748 50
Toulouse 25 744 368 376 35
Bradford 26 678 387 291 34
York 27 655 469 186 30
Widnes 26 551 475 76 29
Featherstone 26 622 500 122 28

Sheffield 26 626 526 100 28
Doncaster 26 498 619 -121 25
Halifax 26 509 650 -141 22
Batley 26 422 591 -169 22