May 201410 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
72553_1399649185.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_72553.jpg

Quote: Shabino "No sympathy for GH mate. He appointed a manager with no professional coaching experience, on the cheap. What did he really expect? Smith may still come good, as he’s learning on the job. Not his fault really……'"

No professional coaching experience, except the eight years he'd spent as a professional head coach before he was appointed, and the eight years he'd spent as a professional assistant coach before that.

RankPostsTeam
International Star1385No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

"Leeds is the greatest club in Rugby League" Alex Murphy 2011:

Quote: tad rhino "thought saints got virtually every decision from the leagues worst ref last night.

but
they were a mile's better in every department and should have won by more. we looked like a pub team in comparison'"

Agree. It was death by a thousand cuts, all the small decisions going Saints way, and Johnny Lomax once again proving what a great refs assistant he is. We aren’t a match for Saints man for man, but getting so many decisions going against us certainly doesn’t help. It’s quite obvious that some teams are favoured heavily over others, and the RFL’s disciplinary bias towards Saints, and against Leeds over the last few years, has been a sad indictment on the honesty of the governing body. Add to that the conscious bias from match officials towards certain clubs and players, and teams like Leeds are fighting an uphill battle. Lomax is a perfect example of a player constantly buzzing around officials and exerting his influence. It was beyond belief that he could get a player sent off for punching by simply telling an official he had been struck by McDonnell last season. A clear lie, and again a sad indictment on the honesty of RFL employees, this time the match officials that never saw the ghost punch yet went on the word of a favoured player.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain1753No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 20177 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: MrPotatoHead "Exactly, we need more than two new forwards as the younger players aren't ready. Smith isn't perfect, but he is rebuilding the team and that will take time. Put Nathan Cleary at half-back and we still lose last night.'"

You do relise that the forward pack you are slagging off have all been signed, or re-signed to longer deals by Smith?

At the same time, you are both....advocating Smith and his rebuild, whilst stating the players he's bringing in or re-signing for the rebuild are not good enough

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member11377
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2960.jpg
:2960.jpg

Quote: leeds owl "Agree. It was death by a thousand cuts, all the small decisions going Saints way, and Johnny Lomax once again proving what a great refs assistant he is. We aren’t a match for Saints man for man, but getting so many decisions going against us certainly doesn’t help. It’s quite obvious that some teams are favoured heavily over others, and the RFL’s disciplinary bias towards Saints, and against Leeds over the last few years, has been a sad indictment on the honesty of the governing body. Add to that the conscious bias from match officials towards certain clubs and players, and teams like Leeds are fighting an uphill battle. Lomax is a perfect example of a player constantly buzzing around officials and exerting his influence. It was beyond belief that he could get a player sent off for punching by simply telling an official he had been struck by McDonnell last season. A clear lie, and again a sad indictment on the honesty of RFL employees, this time the match officials that never saw the ghost punch yet went on the word of a favoured player.'"

Genuine question - what are all these incorrect or marginal decisions that went against Leeds given there is a narrative that every decision went against them?

As for players arms in the air - I sense a collective case of Newman-blindness. icon_smile.gif

RankPostsTeam
International Star1385No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

"Leeds is the greatest club in Rugby League" Alex Murphy 2011:

Quote: FearTheVee "Genuine question - what are all these incorrect or marginal decisions that went against Leeds given there is a narrative that every decision went against them?

As for players arms in the air - I sense a collective case of Newman-blindness.
Genuine answer, lots of small decision throughout the game. Pointless going through them, because as a supporter right/wrong decisions are only ever subjective. You would counter them from a Saints perspective and rightly so. The hangover from 2022, and perceived bias towards Saints with the Morgan Knowles farrago, cleared when appealing an appeal in contrast to Leeds players getting extended bans for frivolous appeals is a hangover that is failing to clear for me. Lomax disappointed me last season by lying openly to a match official to get McDonnell sent off, and that certainly coloured my view of this current Saints team, and once more made me question the integrity of match officials. As a Saints fan, what was your view of Lomax claiming he’d been the victim of a punch that never happened ?

RankPostsTeam
International Star1906No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Personally I don’t believe in sacking smith at this stage of the season. Unfortunately if we are mid table half way through the season he would have to walk the plank. Let’s not forget that last season was the transition period, he supposedly got rid of the deadwood ,so this season was to be a springboard to success. It’s the manner of last night’s defeat that irks supporters, we never at any stage looked capable of beating Saints. Take Newmans brilliant individual try out the equation and we have only managed to score one try over two games. You have to credit Saints as a club after the Cunningham debacle they have completely rebuilt the club. Two highly successful coaches turned the club around, looking at the Saints squad compared to ours. Across the board most of the Saints players are superior to ours, I am assuming that both clubs spend up to the salary cap limit. If that’s the case it’s a damming indictment of the management and coaching staff at Leeds. Obviously it’s still early on in the season so time to turn things around. Cas won’t be an easy game as it’s the cup final for them.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach24376
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
11400_1493633977.gif
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_11400.gif

since cunningham saints coaching appointments have been faultless.
ours have been shambolic

RankPostsTeam
Fringe Player1233No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 20213 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Smith has very strong views on how the game should be played. Which is fine. But the definition of madness is continuing to do the same thing but expecting a different result. Playing soft up the middle and lacking real structure is just not seen from the best sides. We've played that way for a season and a bit and its not working and looks like only being a bit more successful against mid-table teams than last year, which is mainly down to us having some better quality players in the squad.

The way to learn from this defeat is to look at what Sts do better than us, and not just how they get away with things. They do have better players in some positions, but the way they play gives them much more chance of winning than us. Systematic, physical, looking to win collisions and field position. Stuff every successful side I can remember does well. I cannot remember a team trying to play high risk off the cuff rugby all the time succeeding for very long or in the biggest matches. RL is a simple possession and territory game for the most part. You cannot short-cut your way around the basics.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5214No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
27476.gif
:CROWN: I am the hash browns of rlfans :CROWN::27476.gif

Quote: leeds owl "Genuine answer, lots of small decision throughout the game. Pointless going through them, because as a supporter right/wrong decisions are only ever subjective. You would counter them from a Saints perspective and rightly so. The hangover from 2022, and perceived bias towards Saints with the Morgan Knowles farrago, cleared when appealing an appeal in contrast to Leeds players getting extended bans for frivolous appeals is a hangover that is failing to clear for me. Lomax disappointed me last season by lying openly to a match official to get McDonnell sent off, and that certainly coloured my view of this current Saints team, and once more made me question the integrity of match officials. As a Saints fan, what was your view of Lomax claiming he’d been the victim of a punch that never happened ?'"

Okay the fact you accept that that the decisions are small and subjective leads me to one of two conclusions;
1. that Saints fans are equally capable at pointing at small decisions subjectively, and therefore on balance there is no bias because the reality is referees are always going to be somewhere in between
2. You don’t accept Saints fans are able to point at decisions they subjectively think are wrong, so accept your opinion is subjective in Saints indiscretion but objective on Leeds … which would be quite the position to take.
Since you admit you are in the first group, I can’t see how you can subsequently complain of a grand conspiracy. Your coach (and some fans) complain about a slow ruck, yet as a saints fan all I can see is Saints dominating tackles over and over, with very few Leeds players trying to support their own team in winning the ruck. Bentley is your best at this and always has been one of his strengths, but compare that to Mata’utia who basically turned several plays in to mauls at times to help the ball carrier build momentum.

As for 2023 disciplinary, between rounds 1 and 17, Saints were the most penalised team by the MRP by a factor of 2 to 3 times the next nearest worst offenders. If I recall correctly Saints had had 11 incidents deemed ban worth in that time frame with other teams (like Huddersfield) sat on 1 incident. There were a huge number of discrepancy, such as the RFL bringing in medical professionals into the Knowles Easter ban for the tackle on Cooper, a precedent that hadn’t been seen before and hasn’t been seen since. I can’t speak for what happened in Leeds appeals, but based on the bits I read about the Newman ban for gobbing off, the RFL are right in saying they were frivolous because Leeds didn’t provide any new evidence; your defence (at least publicly) was “nuh-uh” which isn’t the basis of an appeal. What Saints did with Knowles, and other appeals is evidence how the RFL didn’t follow their own process, which is why the ban couldn’t stand. The penny seems to have dropped for most clubs in this regard now.

As for the Lomax incident; presumably your as equally disappointed in Bentley for taking about 10 seconds to decide whether to milk a crusher tackle or not as he hovered between going to clutch his head and play the ball as half the Leeds team screamed at the ref?

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain545No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 20195 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: KaeruJim "Maybe we just disagree with your assessment of Bentley?

He got stuck in to his D again but I thought he played better last week than this. I still maintain that if you want that type of player in the pack, McDonnell is technically better and a little bigger too.'"

I agree with Sgy Loiner in that Bentley would look a different player in a good pack. He is on yhe small side but always gives 100% and sets the example in terms of committment and effort.Hes not international class as hes not big enough at that level but hes not Leeds problem. We have players with size they just don't play to it.Sangare same weight and size as Walmsley!
Holroyd over a stone haevier than Matty Lees!
McDonnell half a stone heavier than Morgan Knowles.
The saints men run harder tackle harder and play longer minutes than the leeds players named. They may be more experienced but its their attitude that is the biggest difference. Bentley is never going to win us a big game but with the right players and attitude around him he will keep us in games with his defence or as in last night help keep the score down!

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain545No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 20195 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

The other way of looking at it is the Leeds players are not good enough and never will be or the coaching and mindset preparation is not good enough. One or other has to change!

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain3206No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 20178 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Rommel "Hanley & Newman would get in the Saints side but i would not swap anyone else out?

Leeds missing Walters this season massively'"

They wouldn’t mate. Saint’s fans wouldn’t want that either. Their centres and wingers are better. Not physically what Saints would be looking for. They have higher standards…..

RankPostsTeam
Junior Player56
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 20241 year
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: fanstanningley "So you don't actually know.'"

I'm not a computer hacker so I don't know how to look at people's bank accounts to see how much they earn. So I can only guess. Generally people with more experience tend to be payed more. My point was [as you well know] we should have had a coach with top grade experience.

RankPostsTeam
Junior Player56
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 20241 year
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: fanstanningley "Sangare 6.33 Metres per carry this season Holroyd 6.11 Mik 7.31 Lisone 7.21'"

Metres or all very well but doses he ever break a tackle?

RankPostsTeam
International Star472
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 201213 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
65658_1676254129.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_65658.jpg

If the chopping block isn't currently being prepared for Smiths head, there is something wrong.

The club have thrown a considerable amount of money and faith in recruiting the players that Smith wanted to bring in, but we do not look any better for it. Baring the big name signings, our recruitment this year is flawed. We lack any decent cover for a winger that is plagued with injuries, and are still way too lightweight in the pack. I got criticised on here last year for saying the pack was too lightweight, and I still see this to be true. Even the heavier forwards don't seem to play to their size.

The onfield tactics are still subpar, too. We are losing more yards than we gain every set, meaning we are constantly in the wrong end of the pitch, and when we do get in the oppositions half we fail to turn that possession into points time and time again. We seem to only be able to score from deep. Leeds have a backline that should be feared, but we can't seem to finish, and the forwards seem incapable of being able to consistently get us into a position to pile on pressure.

The team selection last night was doomed to fail. We are already back to forcing square pegs into round holes. When I saw the team sheet, I knew the odds were against us. If Momirovski was being picked, why not keep Roberts on the wing, drop Martin back into SR, and play Mom in the centres where he has proven to be a good link between Newman and Handley? Then we release a bench spot for Goudemand, too. I don't even think Roberts was utilised from the bench, was he?

Everything points to Rohan Smith being at fault to me. Poor recruitment, poor selection, inefficient tactics, daft plays forcing errors, yardage lost through passive defence, yardage not gained from talented players looking clueless.... the list goes on.

If GH isn't already keeping an eye out for other coaching options, then he has wasted his money bringing in the likes of Croft and Ackers. They are proving to be wasted under Rohan Smiths coaching. I can't see things improving drastically when the better weather comes like some are hoping.

1182 posts in 80 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
1182 posts in 80 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

4.8427734375:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Squads - Leopards v Warriors
micktheleyth
6m
Wigan win academy final
Simba16
23m
Film game
Boss Hog
35m
Tonights match v HKR
RobRiches
48m
Leigh it is
Darwen Warri
Recent
Betting 2024
karetaker
Recent
TV Games - Not Hull
boardwalkemp
Recent
Grand final Tickets
Azul
Recent
ALL NEW 49ERS ERA LEEDS UTD THREAD
leedsbarmyar
Recent
Questions for Ste Mills
PopTart
FORUM
LAST
VIEW
TOPIC
POSTER
Transfer Talk / Rumour thread V4
Emagdnim13
57s
Game - Song Titles
Boss Hog
58s
Wigan Humiliate Leigh For Grand Final Place
RLFANS News
1m
TV Games - Not Hull
boardwalkemp
1m
Who do you want to win the Grand Final
morleys_deck
1m
Questions for Ste Mills
PopTart
1m
Refs referring it to video as a try or not
Barstool Pre
1m
TV games not Wire
Cherry_Warri
1m
BORED The Band Name Game
Boss Hog
1m
Rumours thread
PopTart
FORUM
NEW
TOPICS
TOPIC
POSTER
Grand final Tickets
Azul
TODAY
Wigan Humiliate Leigh For Grand Final Place
RLFANS News
TODAY
Refs referring it to video as a try or not
Barstool Pre
TODAY
Questions for Ste Mills
PopTart
TODAY
Decision on the field
MR FRISK
TODAY
Who do you want to win the Grand Final
morleys_deck
TODAY
Worst semi
Barstool Pre
TODAY
2025 TRANSFER AND RETENTION RUMOURS
Tony Fax
TODAY
Sam Burgess
morleys_deck
TODAY
Hull KR Survive Warrington Fightback To Secure Grand Final Spot
RLFANS News
TODAY
Squad 2025
Nat (Rugby_A
TODAY
Tonights match v HKR
RobRiches
TODAY
Isa 1 year extension
Trainman
TODAY
2024 IMG gradings
Victor
TODAY
Championship Awards
FIL
TODAY
Season tickets
bentleyman
TODAY
Best Semi
sir adrian m
TODAY
Ben Condon is a Leopard
Jack Gaskell
TODAY
Squads - Leopards v Warriors
micktheleyth
TODAY
Any decent RL reads for me hols
norbellini
TODAY
Championship Play Off Final
PopTart
TODAY
Man of Steel
matt_wire
TODAY
Guest appearance
AgbriggAmble
TODAY
Squad for HKR
MorePlaymake
NEWS ITEMS
VIEWS
Wigan Humiliate Leigh For Gran..
Hull KR Survive Warrington Fig..
Warrington Wolves Break Saints..
Leigh Leopards Make Play Off P..
Catalans Dragons Finish Sevent..
Hull KR Secure Second With Vic..
Wigan Seal League Leaders Trop..
Wakefield Trinity Sweep Aside ..
Catalans Keep Season Alive Wit..
Salford Ensure Play-Offs And S..
Ruthless Wigan Thrash the Rhin..
Huddersfield Giants Hold Off L..
Salford Close In On The Play O..
Leigh Leopards Up To Fourth Af..
Leeds Rhinos Into the Six Afte..
POSTSONLINEREGISTRATIONSRECORD
19.64M 3,347 80,13214,103
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.

When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
RLFANS Match Centre
 TODAY
       Championship 2024-R29
 FT 
York
27-10
Widnes
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R29
 FT 
Wigan
38-0
Leigh
 TOMORROW
     National Rugby League 2024-R31
09:30
Melbourne
v
Penrith
       League One 2024-R26
15:00
Keighley
v
Hunslet
       Championship 2024-R29
Bradford
v
Featherstone
     Womens Super League 2024-R16
16:30
York V
v
St.HelensW
 Sat 12th Oct
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R30
18:00
Hull KR
v
Wigan
 Sun 27th Oct
     Mens Internationals 2024-R2
14:30
England M
v
Samoa M
 Sat 2nd Nov
     Womens Internationals 2024-R2
12:00
ENGLAND W
v
WALES W
     Mens Internationals 2024-R3
England M
v
Samoa M
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)
Matches on TV
Sat 5th Oct
SL
17:30
Wigan38-0Leigh
Sun 6th Oct
L1
Keighley-Hunslet
WSL2024
16:30
York V-St.HelensW
NRL
09:30
Melbourne-Penrith
Sat 12th Oct
SL
18:00
Hull KR-Wigan
Sun 27th Oct
MINT2024
England M-Samoa M
Sat 2nd Nov
MINT2024
England M-Samoa M
Sat 5th Oct
CH
LIVE
York27-10Widnes
SL
LIVE
Wigan38-0Leigh
Fri 4th Oct
SL 29 Hull KR10-8Warrington
Sun 29th Sep
L1 25 Rochdale26-46Hunslet
CH 28 Barrow24-26Widnes
CH 28 Bradford50-0Swinton
CH 28 Dewsbury28-8Sheffield
CH 28 Wakefield72-6Doncaster
CH 28 Whitehaven23-20Halifax
CH 28 York16-6Featherstone
Sat 28th Sep
CH 28 Toulouse64-16Batley
SL 28 Warrington23-22St.Helens
NRL 30 Penrith26-6Cronulla
Fri 27th Sep
SL 28 Salford6-14Leigh
NRL 30 Melbourne48-18Sydney
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Mens Betfred Super League XXVIII ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wigan 28 759 336 423 46
Hull KR 28 729 335 394 44
Warrington 29 769 351 418 42
Leigh 29 580 442 138 33
Salford 28 556 561 -5 32
St.Helens 28 618 411 207 30

Catalans 27 475 427 48 30
Leeds 27 530 488 42 28
Huddersfield 27 468 658 -190 20
Castleford 27 425 735 -310 15
Hull FC 27 328 894 -566 6
LondonB 27 317 916 -599 6
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Betfred Championship 2024 ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wakefield 26 1010 262 748 50
Toulouse 25 744 368 376 35
Bradford 26 678 387 291 34
York 28 682 479 203 32
Widnes 27 561 502 59 29
Featherstone 26 622 500 122 28

Sheffield 26 626 526 100 28
Doncaster 26 498 619 -121 25
Halifax 26 509 650 -141 22
Batley 26 422 591 -169 22