Jan 20205 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

IN[/fimg]
Quote: Capital Punishment "Other than Bentley that was your best forwards LAST year that could not match Saints intensity and speed so what's going to change?'"

Hopefully they might actually play against you. Injuries consistently prevented Leeds getting their best pack on the field. Playing with actual half backs will make a difference too. In fairness I look at Saints squad and see the best collection of players in the northern hemisphere. You should win it again next year, but sport isn't always like that. As they say, pride comes before a fall (Leeds should know) and chances are that next year the chasing pack will edge a bit closer and Saints might have to face a bit of adversity with long term injuries etc. Maybe you won't have as much to crow about.

RankPostsTeam
First Team Player1096No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 20204 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: ArthurClues "IN[/fimg]Hopefully they might actually play against you. Injuries consistently prevented Leeds getting their best pack on the field. Playing with actual half backs will make a difference too. In fairness I look at Saints squad and see the best collection of players in the northern hemisphere. You should win it again next year, but sport isn't always like that. As they say, pride comes before a fall (Leeds should know) and chances are that next year the chasing pack will edge a bit closer and Saints might have to face a bit of adversity with long term injuries etc. Maybe you won't have as much to crow about.'"

This theory only works if the rate of progress at Saints is slower than the rate of progress of the rest. If they progress at the same rate Saints move even further ahead.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2575No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 20205 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Zoo Zoo Boom "This theory only works if the rate of progress at Saints is slower than the rate of progress of the rest. If they progress at the same rate Saints move even further ahead.'"

Great insight.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain3615
JoinedServiceReputation
May 20168 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2022May 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Stop comparing us with Saints. They are head and shoulders above us. We are now capable of competing with every other team in the league

Were building nicely, weve as good a group of young players as there is in the British game and we will get there. Top 3 should be our aim next year which would be progression.

To keep comparing us to Saints isnt fair on the team.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain1752No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 20177 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Nothing wrong with comparing with Saints imo, they're the standard, excellent team that we need to try to compete with.

They were head and shoulders above us last season, dosnt mean they will be next. Looking at our team from that playoff loss to what it will look like next season...Theres a huge difference in quality.

Fusitua in at wing, L Briscoe out...Huge upgrade

L Suttcliffe in at centre, T Briscoe out...Upgrade

Sezer + Austin/Gale in at halfbacks...Leeming + Lui out...Huge upgrade

Bentley in at 2nd row, Donaldson out...Big upgrade

Leeming in at 9, Dwyer out...Big upgrade

Knock on effect is players who started that game are now bench and squad options, strengthening those areas aswel.

I thought we played like we lacked belief we could win that playoff game, hopefully the influx in quality will adress that across the squad.

Saints are the team to beat and have also improved and signed well for next season, they will rightly start as favorites, but, on paper we'v closed the gap imo. With a bit of luck in our favour and a bit of bad luck in theres, it could be enough, who knows.

Seen on the club website we were advertising the Strength+conditioning role, we need to get that hire right aswel.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach9061
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200619 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
23603_1336678755.jpg
"Look, I'd never use injuries as an excuse..." Daryl Powell:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_23603.jpg

Last bit's right. Even if we only stop that big f***er Walmsley trampling all over us it'll be a start. We must give him the easiest run out of any of the SL sides

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5214No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
27476.gif
:CROWN: I am the hash browns of rlfans :CROWN::27476.gif

Quote: ArthurClues "IN[/fimg]Hopefully they might actually play against you. Injuries consistently prevented Leeds getting their best pack on the field. Playing with actual half backs will make a difference too. In fairness I look at Saints squad and see the best collection of players in the northern hemisphere. You should win it again next year, but sport isn't always like that. As they say, pride comes before a fall (Leeds should know) and chances are that next year the chasing pack will edge a bit closer and Saints might have to face a bit of adversity with long term injuries etc. Maybe you won't have as much to crow about.'"

As per another thread I posted on on the Leeds recently, Saints 1-13 “injury rate” last year was 68% - Leeds was 61%. Last year we had long term injuries to Lomax, Fages, Bentley and Knowles with Fages and Bentley missing the vast majority of the season, including the business end. Dodd and Batchelor stood up.

What makes you think the pack is closing in? (Genuine question) to me, our recruitment has been excellent. I consider Naiqama and Hopoate a like for like swap, Lussick is a really exciting addition as we can stop managing Robys time and let him play his full game for 20 minutes like the old days for one last hurrah and Batchelor has already effectively replaced Bentley. Sironen will be hard pressed to be more underwhelming than Thompson, and Bell gives us cover for Knowles which we struggled with this year. Coote will be a loss but the SL young player of the year, and Saints player of the year is hardly a bad replacement, and I’m really excited to see Welsby play a permanent role next year as hell only improve for it. Hurrell is a wildcard but if it doesn’t pay off we don’t lose anything and if it does it gives us another dimension again. Whose recruitment do you rate higher?

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2228
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 20159 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
74125_1470762689.jpg
"Blasphemy is a victimless crime":d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_74125.jpg

We aren't near saints.
Still need a big prop that can make meters and bust a tackle.

We are looking better than last year or two tho.

Saints have three players that must be heading towArds their last season. Will be interesting to see if they do better at replacements than we did.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2575No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 20205 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Magic Superbeetle "As per another thread I posted on on the Leeds recently, Saints 1-13 “injury rate” last year was 68% - Leeds was 61%. Last year we had long term injuries to Lomax, Fages, Bentley and Knowles with Fages and Bentley missing the vast majority of the season, including the business end. Dodd and Batchelor stood up.

What makes you think the pack is closing in? (Genuine question) to me, our recruitment has been excellent. I consider Naiqama and Hopoate a like for like swap, Lussick is a really exciting addition as we can stop managing Robys time and let him play his full game for 20 minutes like the old days for one last hurrah and Batchelor has already effectively replaced Bentley. Sironen will be hard pressed to be more underwhelming than Thompson, and Bell gives us cover for Knowles which we struggled with this year. Coote will be a loss but the SL young player of the year, and Saints player of the year is hardly a bad replacement, and I’m really excited to see Welsby play a permanent role next year as hell only improve for it. Hurrell is a wildcard but if it doesn’t pay off we don’t lose anything and if it does it gives us another dimension again. Whose recruitment do you rate higher?'"

Calm down, calm down! You're a very sensitive bunch of fans for a team who has just won the competition three times on the bounce. Wouldn't want to be in Woolfe's shoes if you lose two in a row. Nothing wrong with your recruitment, it's top draw. I also said you have the best bunch of players in the northern hemisphere. I'd call that a compliment. I don't doubt your injury spreadsheet algorithms are top draw, but only a fool would attempt to draw a parallel between the injury impact the two clubs experienced last season. My point is, success isn't always as simple as having the best squad of players. Luck, good or bad plays it's part, and Leeds are due a bit. The gap should close a bit next year, odds would suggest not enough to topple Saints, but you never know. I remember thinking Leeds were nailed on for a 4th title in 2010, but Peacock and McGuire got injured when it mattered most. That's the beauty of sport.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain4719
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 20186 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
77264_1540382825.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_77264.jpg

Funny how it’s easier to recruit into a side that’s already dominant isn’t it? Players want to win trophies and are more likely to go where they can do that.

Several sides look better for 2022.

Saints won’t be top for ever, it’s a question of when not if.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach3092No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200619 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2023Feb 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
22575.gif
"Brian McDermott, with a wry smile, nods when asked if he remembers a specific incident which made him realise he was a prick. 'I do', he murmurs.":22575.gif

Oledzki, Gannon and Holroyd are three reasons Saints should be nervous. Maybe not in 2022 but in a couple of year's time, alongside Bentley, we will have the best young pack in the league.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5214No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
27476.gif
:CROWN: I am the hash browns of rlfans :CROWN::27476.gif

Quote: ArthurClues "Calm down, calm down! You're a very sensitive bunch of fans for a team who has just won the competition three times on the bounce. Wouldn't want to be in Woolfe's shoes if you lose two in a row. Nothing wrong with your recruitment, it's top draw. I also said you have the best bunch of players in the northern hemisphere. I'd call that a compliment. I don't doubt your injury spreadsheet algorithms are top draw, but only a fool would attempt to draw a parallel between the injury impact the two clubs experienced last season. My point is, success isn't always as simple as having the best squad of players. Luck, good or bad plays it's part, and Leeds are due a bit. The gap should close a bit next year, odds would suggest not enough to topple Saints, but you never know. I remember thinking Leeds were nailed on for a 4th title in 2010, but Peacock and McGuire got injured when it mattered most. That's the beauty of sport.'"

I’m not not calm? I apologise if I came across as sensitive (though I do admit I’m bored of the narrative Saints have been “lucky” over the last 3 years - though that comes mostly from over the hill in Wigan icon_wink.gif )

Yeah, there definitely were people calling for Woolf to go 5 games in, with 2 losses in that - but that’s a different story.

There’s absolutely a difference between the impact of an injury, and the volume of injuries a team gets. Volumes of injuries is, in part down to luck sure (though obviously strength and conditioning is a factor as well) but I don’t think Saints or Leeds are outside normal parameters of that luck and that’s what the numbers show, the difference being players like Dodd and Batchelor being able to step into the roles needed due to those injuries, minimising Saints impact.

Yes, absolutely anything can happen - and have also experienced a coulda shoulda woulda if not for injuries 2005 was nailed on until Wigan took out half our teams with spiteful play a week before the playoffs…) but we have a deeper squad this year, and a really clear plan with reserves and juniors for cover, and see our own rate of improvement as a squad as equal to or better than anyone else’s.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2575No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 20205 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Magic Superbeetle "I’m not not calm? I apologise if I came across as sensitive (though I do admit I’m bored of the narrative Saints have been “lucky” over the last 3 years - though that comes mostly from over the hill in Wigan Fair enough. For what it's worth I think this Saints team stands favourable comparison with any that came before it. Would love to see you have a crack at Penrith. Is that on the cards or kiboshed because of Covid?

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach170No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2022Feb 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
33710.gif
:33710.gif

Quote: KaeruJim "Funny how it’s easier to recruit into a side that’s already dominant isn’t it? Players want to win trophies and are more likely to go where they can do that.

Several sides look better for 2022.

Saints won’t be top for ever, it’s a question of when not if.'"

Saints have always been at the top never missed a playoff????????????????? Been in more finals than anyone and won more hubcaps?

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain4719
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 20186 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
77264_1540382825.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_77264.jpg

Quote: Capital Punishment "Saints have always been at the top never missed a playoff????????????????? Been in more finals than anyone and won more hubcaps?'"

Being in play-offs makes you top six or at times 8.

165 posts in 12 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
165 posts in 12 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.5634765625:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Best Semi
Fourpointtry
22m
Rumours thread
Kettykat
23m