JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 201410 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2019Feb 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Barrie's Glass Eye "While I'll agree with the sentiment that the standard of super league has been really bad this year, as well as the argument that this Leeds squad should be nowhere near the bottom of the league, I would like to challenge your bit of perspective if I may.

And that is it is not Lilley Sutcliffe or even squad players in Keinhorst who are letting the team down. It is the so called Seasoned professionals that have been diabolical this season, to the point where I think the only one who could hold his head high is JJB. I have been especially dissapointed with the pack, while the backs can get some excuse from the young halves and all the chopping and changing, the pack had been nothing short of soft and stupid defensively. The last two games especially if they could have at least controlled a ruck for part of the game, our young halves had orchestrated enough points for the wins. They couldn't even manage that, and I can't imagine some pack members getting away with their contributions under our previous pack leader.

While I wouldn't compare Lilley to most NRL players, I think the Hastings one is fair, both have shown flashes, but I only struggled with another young halfback partner. Look how much of a difference Pearce made to the roosters this week. In fact I think the Roosters and Rhinos seasons as a whole are a pretty good comparison.

Whilst we are on the NRL I think it's fair to say their standards have dropped a bit too. Some great teams and and some good close games but a lot of crap too. That Newcastle team in particular is possibly the worst I have seen in the NRL, closely followed this year by the Titans and Warriors.'"

If Leeds and Huds are bottom 4 teams then based on Friday the standard of SL isnt too bad is it, the knights and Dragons of NRL have played a lot worse

RankPostsTeam
International Star11412No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2021Jul 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

"The Golden Generation finally has its Golden Fleece! They have Wembley Cup Final winners medals to add to their collection." 23/08/2014:

Quote: Sal Paradise "Nor should we be surprised by the usual excuses offered up by the usual suspects as why Leeds keep losing games - would you not agree.'"

YAWN! Do you just have that line on copy and paste?

Considering the general reasons people gave for Friday's loss were Leeds' poor discipline mostly by Ferres, the poorness of Watkins and Sutcliffe and inability to catch bombs then are you still going to trot out that tiresome line just because I correctly highlighted how you and William jumped on something (Lilley being compared to experienced NRL players) that really wasn't truely there.

Quote: Sal Paradise "On Lilley he looks better than he is because of the poor standard his team mates are putting out and the poor standard of SL in general.'"

Maybe he does. Won't know until Leeds improve. I'd actually say playing well in a struggling team is a good sign, not a reason to say that's the only reason he looks good.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach22777
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2020Feb 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

//www.pngnrlbid.com [quote="bUsTiNyAbALLs":9q9d2t35]Do not converse with me you filthy minded deviant.[/quote:9q9d2t35] [quote="vastman":9q9d2t35]My rage isn't impotent luv, I'm frothing at the mouth actually.[/quote:9q9d2t35]:

Quote: leedsnsouths "If Leeds and Huds are bottom 4 teams then based on Friday the standard of SL isnt too bad is it, the knights and Dragons of NRL have played a lot worse'"

in fairness both Leeds and Hudds were terrible on friday.

Leeds made a huge number of handling errors in attack and barely caught a kick in defence and overall it was a penaltyathon.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4938
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2018Mar 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
18261_1413138907.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_18261.jpg

So, not only has Lilley been compared to JT, Lewis, Cronk, etc, but some of the struggling clubs in the NRL like the Knights, Warriors, Titans, Roosters, Dragons, etc, are also worse and/or playing worse than the bottom clubs in SL?

Deary me icon_lol.gif

How can anyone take this forum even remotely seriously.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4938
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2018Mar 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
18261_1413138907.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_18261.jpg

Quote: Barrie's Glass Eye "While I'll agree with the sentiment that the standard of super league has been really bad this year, as well as the argument that this Leeds squad should be nowhere near the bottom of the league, I would like to challenge your bit of perspective if I may.

And that is it is not Lilley Sutcliffe or even squad players in Keinhorst who are letting the team down. It is the so called Seasoned professionals that have been diabolical this season, to the point where I think the only one who could hold his head high is JJB. I have been especially dissapointed with the pack, while the backs can get some excuse from the young halves and all the chopping and changing, the pack had been nothing short of soft and stupid defensively. The last two games especially if they could have at least controlled a ruck for part of the game, our young halves had orchestrated enough points for the wins. They couldn't even manage that, and I can't imagine some pack members getting away with their contributions under our previous pack leader.

While I wouldn't compare Lilley to most NRL players, I think the Hastings one is fair, both have shown flashes, but I only struggled with another young halfback partner. Look how much of a difference Pearce made to the roosters this week. In fact I think the Roosters and Rhinos seasons as a whole are a pretty good comparison.

Whilst we are on the NRL I think it's fair to say their standards have dropped a bit too. Some great teams and and some good close games but a lot of crap too. That Newcastle team in particular is possibly the worst I have seen in the NRL, closely followed this year by the Titans and Warriors.'"

Worst Leeds player this season has been Watkins, followed very closely by Hall.

I don't think Roosters and Leeds is a good comparison because the Roosters would walk it in Super League with or without Mitchell Pearce. They were bottom of the NRL last week because there are plenty of other NRL teams who are as good or better than them.

I've already argued on another thread that Newcastle are the weakest NRL team by some distance yet even they'd still give SL a huge shake. Their halfbacks are better than any combo in SL as well.

DHM
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach8893
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2024Apr 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
25511_1478008518.jpg
"Well, I think in Rugby League if you head butt someone there's normally some repercusions":d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_25511.jpg

Discipline had very little to do with Friday's defeat. It's a symptom of the pressure we are putting ourselves under.
We failed to put any pressure on Hudds on attack, doesn't matter how you defend if you can't attack effectively and we haven't been able to attack with anything resembling structure, pattern or skill all season. It's a total shambles when we get in the opposition red zone.
Anderson would have been livid with the soft tries Hudds conceded on Friday. Burrow's try was unforgivable defence, Walters try wasn't much better. I guess that's why they were the bottom of the league until we played them. Fact is Hudds we're miles better than us with the ball. They were very unlucky with two video ref decisions - one was wrong, the other was probably offside by 18 inches at most. They were also held up over the line 2 or 3 times. Our scramble defence was actually very good, Keinhorst saved at least 2 certain tries (he reminds me very much of Darryl Powell - hits and sticks like a limpet).
If we hadn't defended so well and Hudds had been more clinical with the chances they created we would have been buried by half time.
We have to get our running lines sorted. We had guys all over the place getting in the way of plays, overrunning passes and so flat that only perfect passes were gong to stick - and there were not many of those. Still when we get inside the opposition 10 we run the big lads back into the middle play after play. It's clueless, but nothing else seems to be possible.

Worst season I've seen. Unforgivable when you factor in we are champions and CC holders. Defending this year's effort is rediculous. I'm not going to lose sleep over it and I'm not going to rant about the players, who I'm sure are working hard. But this season has flushed down the u bend like the steaming brown log that it is.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach22777
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2020Feb 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

//www.pngnrlbid.com [quote="bUsTiNyAbALLs":9q9d2t35]Do not converse with me you filthy minded deviant.[/quote:9q9d2t35] [quote="vastman":9q9d2t35]My rage isn't impotent luv, I'm frothing at the mouth actually.[/quote:9q9d2t35]:

You see i have to disagree with that. In attack the only team creating things was us. Hudds plan was nothing more than 5 tackles and a Brough bomb. The fact we were still in it is testament to great scramble defence but also how unimaginative Hudds were. They rarely looked like getting over the line unless on the back of repeat sets.

Hudds squeeked past us in a game we straight dropped 4 (at least) kicks, and must have knocked on-on the first tackle another 3 or 4 times. We cant give teams that advantage, and they arent mistakes that come from structure or an expansive game plan or even forced errors, its just poor play from young players who are learning at this level.

We can stop making those errors, and if we do, we win last week and probably against saints as well.

RankPostsTeam
International Star990No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2017Sep 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: William Eve "Worst Leeds player this season has been Watkins, followed very closely by Hall.

I don't think Roosters and Leeds is a good comparison because the Roosters would walk it in Super League with or without Mitchell Pearce. They were bottom of the NRL last week because there are plenty of other NRL teams who are as good or better than them.

I've already argued on another thread that Newcastle are the weakest NRL team by some distance yet even they'd still give SL a huge shake. Their halfbacks are better than any combo in SL as well.'"

I actually think going back to last year Ablett would also be up their as worst player. I just think as a collective the pack have been really bad, and if they had been slightly better we'd be a lot better off points wise. Not saying individual backs haven't been bad but as mismatched group they have been less disappointing.

I don't disagree they would walk it, I was talking more as a comparison within their relative competition. The Roosters are a team that generally contend who were having to play two very young halves who well rated were struggling, they had a number of other young or fringe players playing and we're without a pack leader and found themselves at the wrong end of the table.

Newcastle are plain bad, their team has no star power, not saying they'd be bad over here,that wasn't my point, my point was the NRLS standard also seems to have dropped.

Can't see things getting much better for the Knights with Simms likely to join Mullen for a spell in the stands.

DHM
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach8893
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2024Apr 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
25511_1478008518.jpg
"Well, I think in Rugby League if you head butt someone there's normally some repercusions":d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_25511.jpg

Quote: SmokeyTA "They rarely looked like getting over the line '"

Really? Apart from the 4 they scored, the two they had chalked off by the video ref and the 2-3 times we managed to hold them up in goal.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach22777
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2020Feb 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Quote: DHM "Really? Apart from the 4 they scored, the two they had chalked off by the video ref and the 2-3 times we managed to hold them up in goal.'"

Why miss of the 2nd part of that sentence?

RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2021Jul 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

"The Golden Generation finally has its Golden Fleece! They have Wembley Cup Final winners medals to add to their collection." 23/08/2014:

Quote: SmokeyTA "Why miss of the 2nd part of that sentence?'"

Yeah convientely left off. It wasn't like they were going (or we were making them go) 80/90m to get to our try line. Dropped kicks in our own 20m, knock ons, and penalties that piggy backed them 30/40m upfield. We actually made more metres than them on the night but those mistakes above meant we did 60 more tackles. We led in the last quarter but that extra defending we did seems to take its toil.

DHM
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach8893
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2024Apr 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
25511_1478008518.jpg

It was conveniently added on in the first place, a transparent excuse. Hudds moved the ball better, they forced mistakes and won penalties, some of which they exploited. That's what the better team tends to do in a game of rugby league.

RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2021Jul 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Quote: DHM "It was conveniently added on in the first place, a transparent excuse. Hudds moved the ball better, they forced mistakes and won penalties, some of which they exploited. That's what the better team tends to do in a game of rugby league.'"

Yes I know that's what the better team tend to do in a game of rugby league. I also know in some games the mistakes and penalties teams concede are mostly off their own unnecessary fault without the opposition forcing them which is what Friday was IMO. We lost that game rather than Hudds won it and Smokey is right, Hudds were unimaginative in attack but we gifted them enough good starting field position that they eventually could get over a couple of times near the end against a tired defence who made themselves do too much work earlier in the game.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member22289
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200322 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Aug 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
4615.jpg
:4615.jpg

Is this the line re Lilley's kicking you didn't like
Hardaker failed his first real test of a pressure kick (arguably first two tests V Warrington) and was almost universally condemned on here, most (IIRC) offering the opinion had Lilley been given the job one or both points would have gone to Leeds, well that jury may have to reconsider their verdict on their favoured alternative given this latest evidence.'"

Lilley's first pressure kick (IMO) which he missed. Saying some Leeds fans 'may have to reconsider' still feels a reasonable comment to make at that time - it's not as if I implied the current best player in the world is a different person when off camera.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member9565No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2019Dec 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
fonds noir/Buzz Lightyear.gif
:fonds noir/Buzz Lightyear.gif

So Leeds let in another 5 tries. I'd argue all of them could have been stopped. I've said before, the team just don't look committed in defence as a unit, and I'm with those holding senior players far more guilty than any of the youngsters.

We will never find out how good Lilley, Golding et al are until they get half a chance in a non-garbage team. FWIW I like the look of Lilley though, and I don't think he's as slow as some suggest.

164 posts in 12 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
164 posts in 12 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.10009765625:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Seeking favourite images from grounds - past or present
retrosports
57m
Questions for Ste Mills
Jacko1500mm
Recent