JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200322 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2016Aug 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Transparent Backgrounds/Waldorf.gif
"As you travel through life don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things" - George Carlin [url:2cg5oc2o]http://twitter.com/AndyGilder[/url:2cg5oc2o] [url:2cg5oc2o]http://fromthewesternterrace.blogspot.co.uk[/url:2cg5oc2o] This week: Four keys to a Rhinos win in the WCC:Transparent Backgrounds/Waldorf.gif

Have to say as well, I really don't think Burgess would have made any sort of difference to the result on Saturday even if he had started.

He's a midfield bludgeon, and England already have way too many of those as it is. What the England back line needs is not another big lad who can truck it up and make a few yards, but players like Joseph, Slade and Ford who can play with the ball in hand and create space for those around them.

If Burgess has a future in Union - and I remain unconvinced that he does - then it has to be either at 6 or 8, not in the centres.

When you contrast the style in which England played the Six Nations finale against France earlier in the year - when they knew they had to win by a large margin to stand any chance of picking up the title - and the way they have played in this World Cup, it's apparent they are heading backwards under Lancaster/Farrell/Rowntree at a rate of knots.

DHM
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach8893
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2024Apr 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
25511_1478008518.jpg
"Well, I think in Rugby League if you head butt someone there's normally some repercusions":d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_25511.jpg

We lost the game because we didn't have enough players who could open up a defence, and because the back row were too slow to the ball. Burgess wouldn't have helped that. Joseph was the only middle back we had. Farrell and Barritt both play as small, innefective back row forwards.

I am now very doubtful Burgess will make it. He's a very determined individual but back row forward is his best option and he's got a lot of work to do. You also have to realise that although he's a beast in League, in Union he is hitting the ball up into guys who dwarf him. He won't be a lineout option which also limits his usefulness.
He is just not a centre.
I wonder how he's feeling now? Already hearing some rumours regarding England camp discord around him.
Not the showcase he thought I would imagine. Disastrous tournament and some vocal criticism likely to re-emerge around his selection and contribution.
Now he has several years of relative obscurity in club rugby looming. If the predicted pogrom of the England coaching set up takes place then I can't see a squad place for Burgess as a centre, so IMO he's going to have to really show massive progress as a back row.
My guess would be back to the NRL for 2017 season.

Him
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member14970No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2021Nov 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2244_1299706258.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_2244.jpg

Come on Uncle Gary. Put a bid in. You know you want to.

RankPostsTeam
International Star6848No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2023Jul 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
68072_1442575000.jpg
What you looking at?....Butt Head!!:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_68072.jpg

Quote: DHM "We lost the game because we didn't have enough players who could open up a defence, and because the back row were too slow to the ball. Burgess wouldn't have helped that. Joseph was the only middle back we had. Farrell and Barritt both play as small, innefective back row forwards.

I am now very doubtful Burgess will make it. He's a very determined individual but back row forward is his best option and he's got a lot of work to do. You also have to realise that although he's a beast in League, in Union he is hitting the ball up into guys who dwarf him. He won't be a lineout option which also limits his usefulness.
He is just not a centre.
I wonder how he's feeling now? Already hearing some rumours regarding England camp discord around him.
Not the showcase he thought I would imagine. Disastrous tournament and some vocal criticism likely to re-emerge around his selection and contribution.
Now he has several years of relative obscurity in club rugby looming. If the predicted pogrom of the England coaching set up takes place then I can't see a squad place for Burgess as a centre, so IMO he's going to have to really show massive progress as a back row.
My guess would be back to the NRL for 2017 season.'"

I'm in agreement on Burgess not making it now.I think he could still be a hit if he was willing to dedicate the next 7-8 years (virtually rest of his career) playing the game and be a very good back row, but i don't believe he ever had any intention of doing this project to that level. He reached his short term goal of making and playing in a WC squad and despite not letting anybody down, his inclusion will be remembered for all the wrong reasons due to England's ineptitude as a whole not Sam Burgess as a RU player which is unfortunate but is just how it has played out.

He has a life in Australia now with his family out there and due to be married soon so, like you say, expect him back in the NRL anytime within the next 18 months.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4934
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2022Dec 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
40515_1330766741.jpg
Don't worry about avoiding temptation. As you grow older, it will avoid you! - Winston Churchill:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_40515.jpg

I think that if Burgess stays with Bath he will make it as an international 8 and it will not take him that long either. To be fair despite very little experience as a Union centre and, one high tackle apart, he equipped himself pretty well at international level and he certainly was not at fault for the defeats. I understand why he was included in the squad and if you look at the competition none of the other contenders for the inside centre slot had been good enough consistently.

Against Wales Ford should not have been brought on and Burgess should have stayed on. Against Australia the needs were different and there was a good argument to play Burgess/Barritt with Slade with at least the latter being on the bench.

However all this criticism of the centre selections blows a smoke screen over the real failures which were the pack and the poor discipline (9 pens concede to their 5). There were plenty of clues in the two warm up matches against France where the forwards were twice outplayed. We looked lacking in energy and nervous and despite a better performance against Ireland we didn't look ready or confident and Ford's drop in form cost him his place. I think the occasion got to some of the players.

The English game is built around the cornerstones of the scrum and the lineout. We lack class back row players with pace and the breakdown has been a weakness for years. But we did not dominated the scrum where we expected to win penalties - in fact the reverse happened and we gave away the penalties with our props greatly overrated and we lacked a hooker with a reliable throw (although Youngs was not to blame)

Had Armitage qualified for selection he would have added something in this key turnover area, but he is not the complete player either. Too short to be lifted in the lineout and too short to do the lifting and offers nothing to stop the rolling maul. He often looks brilliant in his clubside playing alongside what is a pack full of International Kiwis and Springboks.

One of the English problems is that Robshaw is not a natural 7 but he is usually the top tackler which means he cannot be the second tackler at the breakdown at the same time. Other sides these days rely on the second rowers to make more tackles leaving the back row to arrive as second tackler/fetcher.

In the Australia match we made more carries across the gain line than Oz and 50% more metres and although we won 6 turnovers we lost 9. We were too predictable

RankPostsTeam
International Star11412No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2021Jul 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

"The Golden Generation finally has its Golden Fleece! They have Wembley Cup Final winners medals to add to their collection." 23/08/2014:

Can't see him staying. After England's last group game then heads will start to roll as the press and public demand blood and Burgess and Farrell Snr. are already being lined up as two of the biggest targets.

Whoever takes over (in the likely event Lancaster is sacked) I think will be told to avoid RL connections if and when possible.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member9565No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2019Dec 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
fonds noir/Buzz Lightyear.gif
:fonds noir/Buzz Lightyear.gif

Burgess said that he wanted to go to RU to play on the big stage. Assuming Lancaster goes and he focuses on becoming a forward, it'll be Bath only next year. No other coach would dare risk him as an experiment again, so if anything I'd guess his return to the England team would be delayed if anything. All this stuff about how determined he is etc really doesn't matter if he can't deliver on the field, and he'll have to balance a potentially long slog to get back into the England team with the bells and whistles he'd receive in Australia if he comes back to the NRL.

I'd argue its a good thing if he plays one more year then returns to the NRL, as he'd be seen as another high profile league failure, which will hopefully reduce interest from RU a bit going forward.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach15864No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Oct 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10145_1279728778.png
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_10145.png

Quote: Juan Cornetto "I think that if Burgess stays with Bath he will make it as an international 8 and it will not take him that long either. To be fair despite very little experience as a Union centre and, one high tackle apart, he equipped himself pretty well at international level and he certainly was not at fault for the defeats. I understand why he was included in the squad and if you look at the competition none of the other contenders for the inside centre slot had been good enough consistently.

Against Wales Ford should not have been brought on and Burgess should have stayed on. Against Australia the needs were different and there was a good argument to play Burgess/Barritt with Slade with at least the latter being on the bench.

However all this criticism of the centre selections blows a smoke screen over the real failures which were the pack and the poor discipline (9 pens concede to their 5). There were plenty of clues in the two warm up matches against France where the forwards were twice outplayed. We looked lacking in energy and nervous and despite a better performance against Ireland we didn't look ready or confident and Ford's drop in form cost him his place. I think the occasion got to some of the players.

The English game is built around the cornerstones of the scrum and the lineout. We lack class back row players with pace and the breakdown has been a weakness for years. But we did not dominated the scrum where we expected to win penalties - in fact the reverse happened and we gave away the penalties with our props greatly overrated and we lacked a hooker with a reliable throw (although Youngs was not to blame)

Had Armitage qualified for selection he would have added something in this key turnover area, but he is not the complete player either. Too short to be lifted in the lineout and too short to do the lifting and offers nothing to stop the rolling maul. He often looks brilliant in his clubside playing alongside what is a pack full of International Kiwis and Springboks.

One of the English problems is that Robshaw is not a natural 7 but he is usually the top tackler which means he cannot be the second tackler at the breakdown at the same time. Other sides these days rely on the second rowers to make more tackles leaving the back row to arrive as second tackler/fetcher.

In the Australia match we made more carries across the gain line than Oz and 50% more metres and although we won 6 turnovers we lost 9. We were too predictable'"

That's about as well a thought out summary as I have seen. I can't disagree with any of it.

The problem is that most ru media people don't understand their own game. They are the ru equivalents of Eddie and Stevo. The spend ages pre game talking about midfield combinations when in reality they get the ball about 7 times a game.

DHM
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach8893
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2024Apr 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
25511_1478008518.jpg
"Well, I think in Rugby League if you head butt someone there's normally some repercusions":d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_25511.jpg

The starting front 5 were fine. We had enough possession and I actually thought the pack performance in general was as good as the Australians - apart from support of half breaks where we continually lost out to the more mobile Aussie back row. Our scrum was actually on top and at least as good as Australia first half - we won a decent share of penalties. Scrums with Australia always end in a penalty one way or another and as usual they out manoeuvred England in the build up by highlighting Joe Marlars tactic of pushing against the hooker not his opposite prop (he actually did this all through the Wales game and got away with it). Our scrum fell to bits when we brought on all our replacements.
Stats show we made more metres, had more possession and equal territory, what we lacked was the skill to convert that into tries. Australia did because they had class at 10, 12 and 13. When May wet off injured at halftime the last thing you wanted to see was our only dangerous midfield runner stuck on the wing. When you look at that you realise the exclusion of a player like Cipriani was a massive error.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4934
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2022Dec 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
40515_1330766741.jpg
Don't worry about avoiding temptation. As you grow older, it will avoid you! - Winston Churchill:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_40515.jpg

Quote: DHM "The starting front 5 were fine. We had enough possession and I actually thought the pack performance in general was as good as the Australians - apart from support of half breaks where we continually lost out to the more mobile Aussie back row. Our scrum was actually on top and at least as good as Australia first half - we won a decent share of penalties. Scrums with Australia always end in a penalty one way or another and as usual they out manoeuvred England in the build up by highlighting Joe Marlars tactic of pushing against the hooker not his opposite prop (he actually did this all through the Wales game and got away with it). Our scrum fell to bits when we brought on all our replacements.
Stats show we made more metres, had more possession and equal territory, what we lacked was the skill to convert that into tries. Australia did because they had class at 10, 12 and 13. When May wet off injured at halftime the last thing you wanted to see was our only dangerous midfield runner stuck on the wing. When you look at that you realise the exclusion of a player like Cipriani was a massive error.'"

I do not believe our front five were fine at all. They gave away 3 penalties in the first half alone at the scrum as it went backwards. Our props are over rated and did not dominate at all, so out went the game plan to win penalties at the scrum and tire out their props so that they would be slow in the loose. In fact it was our forwards that were slow around the field and did not clear the rucks away quickly enough which show our back row was outclassed too.

We made 10 more carries over the gain line than Oz and 137 more metres made yet were turned over 8 times with 9 penalties conceded to their 5. So you think winning 35% is a decent share of penalties? All our ball was far too slow so the main blames lies at the leaden feet of the forwards.

Cipriani had not earned a place at either fly half or fullback and would have been as big a gamble as Burgess. To be fair he did not get much game time to prove himself in the build up but despite his attacking talents his temperament is suspect as is his judgement. In his pre-match comments he stated that not one of the Australians would get in the England squad! This was tantamount to a motivational team talk for them - what a plonker.

The Ozzie backs were able to perform in space on the back of quick ball and penalties gained by their forwards. Their back row also stopped our momentum every time with turnovers.

All in all I think we were outclassed all over the park because our players under performed and too many looked slow and out of form with no sharpness. Perhaps nerves played a part too with so much expected of them.

RankPostsTeam
International Star837
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2022Jan 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
53644_1328694740.jpg
PHIL CLARKE: "[u:1stkxa1p][b:1stkxa1p]THE BULLS ARE BACK[/b:1stkxa1p][/u:1stkxa1p]" :-):d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_53644.jpg

Sam Burgess DROPPPED from Saturday's squad!

#BlameBurgess in full swing now.

DHM
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach8893
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2024Apr 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
25511_1478008518.jpg

Quote: Juan Cornetto "
Lots of words intended to make me look cleverer than everyone else.'"

You know I don't respond to anything you post and you know why. This is intended to stop you wasting your time in future.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach15864No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Oct 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10145_1279728778.png

we had a lof of ball, but as juan says it was slow ball. We went into rucks and either got turned over, or couldnt secure quick ball because our forwards (particularly the back row) were too slow to the breakdown.it didnt help that aus had 2 natural 7s in the team, and we didn't have 1.

to top that off we had a ponderous scrum half meaning any ball to the backs was poor

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach15864No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Oct 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10145_1279728778.png

Quote: RhinoLaney "Sam Burgess DROPPPED from Saturday's squad!

#BlameBurgess in full swing now.'"

probably more to do with giving everyone a run out than some anti-league bias

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain7No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 20159 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2015Oct 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

SAM BURGESS IN LEEDS HAVING MEDICAL

120 posts in 9 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
120 posts in 9 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

3.349609375:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Squads - Leopards v Warriors
Lower Crease
32m
Best Semi
Barstool Pre
42m
Seth Nikotemo
Start@1873
60m
BORED The Band Name Game
Boss Hog
Recent
Film game
Boss Hog
Recent
DoR - New Coach - Investor & Adam - New signings
BP1
Recent
Proposed rule changes 2025
tad rhino
Recent
Man of Steel
matt_wire
Recent
ALL NEW 49ERS ERA LEEDS UTD THREAD
tad rhino
Recent
Rumours thread
vastman
FORUM
LAST
VIEW
TOPIC
POSTER
Leigh it is
NickyKiss
1m
BORED The Band Name Game
Boss Hog
2m
Fev H Play Off
Wigan Bull
2m
ALL NEW 49ERS ERA LEEDS UTD THREAD
tad rhino
2m
Man of Steel
matt_wire
2m
Game - Song Titles
Boss Hog
3m
Planning for next season
Jack Gaskell
3m
2025 membership/renewals
BP1
3m
Championship Play Off Final
PopTart
3m
Recruitment rumours and links
MorePlaymake
FORUM
NEW
TOPICS
TOPIC
POSTER
Best Semi
Barstool Pre
TODAY
Ben Condon is a Leopard
Jack Gaskell
TODAY
Squads - Leopards v Warriors
Lower Crease
TODAY
Any decent RL reads for me hols
norbellini
TODAY
Championship Play Off Final
PopTart
TODAY
Man of Steel
matt_wire
TODAY
Guest appearance
Kick and cha
TODAY
Squad for HKR
matt_wire
TODAY
Proposed rule changes 2025
tad rhino
TODAY
Fev H Play Off
Wigan Bull
TODAY
Whose going for a beer in Wigan Saturday
Deeeekos
TODAY
Play-off semi-final
Khlav Kalash
TODAY
Coach of the Year
Kevin Turvey
TODAY
Greatest game ever at HJ
Fantastic Mr
TODAY
World Club Challenge
Barstool Pre
TODAY
WIRE YED Prediction Competition Hull KR Away Play Off Semi
Douglas Blac
TODAY
2025 Squad
Jimmythecuck
TODAY
2024 Season Review
Jimmythecuck
TODAY
McNamara interview
Jimmythecuck
TODAY
French Elite 1 season 2024/2025 Thread
Jimmythecuck
TODAY
Butcher
TODAY
2025 membership/renewals
BP1
TODAY
Hull FC ladies
Hessle Roade
TODAY
Kai
Cokey
TODAY
Travel to hull krdoes the club run coache
Barstool Pre
TODAY
Wakefield v Dons - Sunday 29 September 2024
Wanderer
TODAY
The play-offs
Ckt2487
TODAY
This years play off series
matt_wire
TODAY
Leigh it is
NickyKiss
TODAY
2024 Southstandercom Prediction Competition Play Off SF
Cokey
NEWS ITEMS
VIEWS
Warrington Wolves Break Saints..
Leigh Leopards Make Play Off P..
Catalans Dragons Finish Sevent..
Hull KR Secure Second With Vic..
Wigan Seal League Leaders Trop..
Wakefield Trinity Sweep Aside ..
Catalans Keep Season Alive Wit..
Salford Ensure Play-Offs And S..
Ruthless Wigan Thrash the Rhin..
Huddersfield Giants Hold Off L..
Salford Close In On The Play O..
Leigh Leopards Up To Fourth Af..
Leeds Rhinos Into the Six Afte..
Wigan Warriors Defeat Hull KR ..
Wane Names Provisional Squad f..
POSTSONLINEREGISTRATIONSRECORD
19.63M 3,029 80,12914,103
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.

When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
RLFANS Match Centre
 TOMORROW
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R29
20:00
Hull KR
v
Warrington
 Sat 5th Oct
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R29
17:30
Wigan
v
Leigh
 Sun 6th Oct
     National Rugby League 2024-R31
09:30
Melbourne
v
Penrith
       League One 2024-R26
15:00
Keighley
v
Hunslet
       Championship 2024-R29
Bradford
v
Featherstone
York
v
Widnes
     Womens Super League 2024-R16
16:30
York V
v
St.HelensW
 Sun 27th Oct
     Mens Internationals 2024-R2
14:30
England M
v
Samoa M
 Sat 2nd Nov
     Womens Internationals 2024-R2
12:00
ENGLAND W
v
WALES W
     Mens Internationals 2024-R3
England M
v
Samoa M
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)
Matches on TV
Fri 4th Oct
SL
20:00
Hull KR-Warrington
Sat 5th Oct
SL
17:30
Wigan-Leigh
Sun 6th Oct
L1
Keighley-Hunslet
WSL2024
16:30
York V-St.HelensW
NRL
09:30
Melbourne-Penrith
Sun 27th Oct
MINT2024
England M-Samoa M
Sat 2nd Nov
MINT2024
England M-Samoa M
Sun 29th Sep
L1 25 Rochdale26-46Hunslet
CH 28 Barrow24-26Widnes
CH 28 Bradford50-0Swinton
CH 28 Dewsbury28-8Sheffield
CH 28 Wakefield72-6Doncaster
CH 28 Whitehaven23-20Halifax
CH 28 York16-6Featherstone
Sat 28th Sep
CH 28 Toulouse64-16Batley
SL 28 Warrington23-22St.Helens
NRL 30 Penrith26-6Cronulla
Fri 27th Sep
SL 28 Salford6-14Leigh
NRL 30 Melbourne48-18Sydney
Mens Betfred Super League XXVIII ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Betfred Championship 2024 ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wakefield 26 1010 262 748 50
Toulouse 25 744 368 376 35
Bradford 26 678 387 291 34
York 27 655 469 186 30
Widnes 26 551 475 76 29
Featherstone 26 622 500 122 28

Sheffield 26 626 526 100 28
Doncaster 26 498 619 -121 25
Halifax 26 509 650 -141 22
Batley 26 422 591 -169 22