JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2020Jul 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Wilbred T Pricklepop "It will be one of our finest hours. The roller coaster ride of this season has been awesome.'"

If we win Ill be over the moon because, as you say, we did it from 5th.

Regardless of the result on Saturday I would never call this season 'awesome'.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5526No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2019Mar 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

More fool you.....

Have you not yet learned it is only
worth paying to watch Leeds at the
"business end" of the season.

icon_smile.gif

Life's a bitch.

Come on Leeds. CHAMPIONS ( maybe )
Them's the rules icon_smile.gif

RankPostsTeam
International Star1432No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2013Aug 2012LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Remarkable_Rhinos "I don't care what "history" remembers. I care what I remember. I remember a 2,000 mile round trip to watch that dross.

I'm sure to the people that have taken a mild interest, attended the odd games, watched a few on TV, etc would perhaps be happy with just winning the Grand Final.

If this whole season was £31 and 80 minutes, then fine. Let's all celebrate together. But it's not. It's thousands of pounds and hundreds of hours. And I want to enjoy that time and money. Not just the last two matches of it.'"

Is the team and performance your only source of enjoyment from sport?

Because you will always have to endure poor performances and losses, that's sport. Sometimes you will have it more than others because it goes in cycles.

For me the main source of enjoyment is a nice night/day out, a few beers, spending time with friends/family and just the game of rugby league itself.

And some of my favourite matches to watch are somtimes when leeds are a bit, well, mediocre. E.g. I got alot more excitment and enjoyment out of leeds comeback and late wins against wakefield and bradford in the last 2 MM's than i would a 50/60 point thrashing (unless it's against a wigan or a st helens).

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach12106No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2015Oct 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10393.jpg
OBN Wannabe:10393.jpg

Quote: Remarkable_Rhinos "There two very different schools of thought. I understand that. And we're probably never going to agree.

It's like this....

You book a 3 week holiday. It costs you thousands. It's awful. The hotel is sub-standard and crawling with bugs, there's no food that you like, you pick up a stomach bug, spend the whole time throwing up. Nobody speaks English, your laptop is stolen from your room, you get mugged and spending money is taken, the bar in the hotel closes at 7 every night, there's nothing to see or do or enjoy. Basically, you have a really really really crap time for 19 days.

On the 20th day, your complaints to the holiday company kick in, and you're transferred to a 7* hotel for the last two nights. You're totally and utterly pampered and spoiled, free food, free drink, and flown home first class.

Is that

I'm afraid I judge sporting events rather differently to my holidays. I like my holidays to be relaxing as well as fun. Sport is rubbish if it's really relaxing.

For me, trials and tribulations in sport are the sort of thing that makes any eventual triumph even sweeter. Its like a pint of ale that you feel like you've worked hard for (better analogy).

To further scotch your holiday analogy, I wouldn't say the aim of my holiday is the final 2 days, for which the preceding days are preparation. I would however say that the play-offs are the ultimate aim of a Super League season.

Incidentally, I had a holiday in Nepal a few years ago where few people spoke English (most in the mountains don't even speak Nepali), the accomodation was tin huts if you were lucky and I wouldn't exactly describe the food as top notch (well, not on the trails, it was awesome in Kathmandu). Still the best holiday I've ever had (probably), so your analogy extra doesn't work for me. icon_wink.gif

RankPostsTeam
International Star2342No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2011Dec 2011LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
53248_1287743010.gif
[quote="Harrigan":2spn4cnp]Is there an off switch on Remarkable_Rhino?[/quote:2spn4cnp] [quote="Swarcliffe Rhino":2spn4cnp]No.[/quote:2spn4cnp] [quote="G1":2spn4cnp]Remarkable Rhino posts something that makes sense shocker![/quote:2spn4cnp]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_53248.gif

Quote: Wilbred T Pricklepop "Is the team and performance your only source of enjoyment from sport?

Because you will always have to endure poor performances and losses, that's sport. Sometimes you will have it more than others because it goes in cycles.

For me the main source of enjoyment is a nice night/day out, a few beers, spending time with friends/family and just the game of rugby league itself.

And some of my favourite matches to watch are somtimes when leeds are a bit, well, mediocre. E.g. I got alot more excitment and enjoyment out of leeds comeback and late wins against wakefield and bradford in the last 2 MM's than i would a 50/60 point thrashing (unless it's against a wigan or a st helens).'"

I agree with some of that, and take your points on board. I know what you mean, about the games in which we play poorly can often be more of a contest as it lets the likes of Wakefield in with more of a fighting chance.

The answer to your question is, no. The team's performance isn't my only source of enjoyment from the sport. But it is a pretty big one. Some of what we've had to watch this year hasn't been slightly sub-standard, but coming back for a dramatic win. It's been absolutely awful, and at times, embarrassing. If we just didn't play that well, etc etc I'd get on with it.

But some of the performances have left me leaving the ground embarrassed and angry. You can't enjoy that. Or at least I can't.

To be honest, I'm not disagreeing with you (or anyone for that matter!). I can totally see all your points. But as I've said in my "Holiday" analogy, it's just two very different ways of thinking that are never going to agree with one another.

RankPostsTeam
International Star2342No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2011Dec 2011LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
53248_1287743010.gif
[quote="Harrigan":2spn4cnp]Is there an off switch on Remarkable_Rhino?[/quote:2spn4cnp] [quote="Swarcliffe Rhino":2spn4cnp]No.[/quote:2spn4cnp] [quote="G1":2spn4cnp]Remarkable Rhino posts something that makes sense shocker![/quote:2spn4cnp]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_53248.gif

I suspect I'm one of the few on here that feel this way. If not the only one.

I imagine that a hammering at the hands of Saints on Saturday would pick me up a few more subscribers to the theory.

Given that I've been to nearly every match, I like to remember the season as a whole. Sorry if I'm not jumping through hoops that we've just beaten Warrington.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member17230No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Nov 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
3043_1291817917.jpg
#frostiesbitches We know who you are.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_3043.jpg

Quote: Remarkable_Rhinos "I suspect I'm one of the few on here that feel this way. If not the only one.'"

I don't think you are mate. I don't believe any of these posters above could look you in the eye truthfully and say what they are saying, If Leeds lost on Saturday.

People pay to be entertained, if they are not paying for that, then they have more money than sense.

We win on Saturday, and it has been an absolute memborable season for all to enjoy in. I don't think you worded your posts earlier to that effect, which may have brought he dissagreement. But there has been some attrocious rugby played this year, and realy poor quality matches seen at Headingley. So anybody who says they enjoyed those matches, I'm sorry, but IMO they are lying.

RankPostsTeam
International Star2342No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2011Dec 2011LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
53248_1287743010.gif

Quote: Gotcha "I don't think you are mate. I don't believe any of these posters above could look you in the eye truthfully and say what they are saying, If Leeds lost on Saturday.

People pay to be entertained, if they are not paying for that, then they have more money than sense.

We win on Saturday, and it has been an absolute memborable season for all to enjoy in. I don't think you worded your posts earlier to that effect, which may have brought he dissagreement. But there has been some attrocious rugby played this year, and realy poor quality matches seen at Headingley. So anybody who says they enjoyed those matches, I'm sorry, but IMO they are lying.'"

Thank you pal.

RankPostsTeam
International Star5813No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2022Mar 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
icons3ae4_files/4541-162reymo-msnicons.jpg
If your not cheating, your not trying. Barrie Mcdermott:icons3ae4_files/4541-162reymo-msnicons.jpg

Quote: Remarkable_Rhinos "Yes. Thank you. Me too.

It's not that I don't want to win, it's just there's more to it than that. Whatever the record books say, or is printed on Sunday morning... it is NOT just about Saturday for me.

If you told me that we'd win the Grand Final every year for the next 5 years, but for the 27 rounds play like we have done this year I wouldn't think... "Whoooo! Champions 5 years in a row!!!". I'd rather play well, enjoy the season, and lose in a good match to a good side in the semis (exactly like Warrington & Wigan have done this year!), than win the GF from 5th after a poor season every year.'"

Sounds to me you should change and support Hudds. They get that every year as standard. Decent season and crumble in the play offs.

Seriously though. For me some of the performances early season were poor and was disappointing, but for me that is sport taking the good stuff with the bad. For me the bad makes the good games more enjoyable.
I see the season as qualifying for the playoffs, and cannot agree. I would not be embarrassed to win from 5th. Finishing top two is a massive advantage just look at where most of the finalist of last 10yrs have come from.

It has been disappointing in parts this season but winning is important and I would not be embarrassed to win it from 5th. I am quite proud that they have reached a final from that spot.

RankPostsTeam
International Star2342No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2011Dec 2011LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
53248_1287743010.gif

Quote: Ferdy "Sounds to me you should change and support Hudds. They get that every year as standard. Decent season and crumble in the play offs.

Seriously though. For me some of the performances early season were poor and was disappointing, but for me that is sport taking the good stuff with the bad. For me the bad makes the good games more enjoyable.
I see the season as qualifying for the playoffs, and cannot agree. I would not be embarrassed to win from 5th. Finishing top two is a massive advantage just look at where most of the finalist of last 10yrs have come from.

It has been disappointing in parts this season but winning is important and I would not be embarrassed to win it from 5th. I am quite proud that they have reached a final from that spot.'"

You need to re-read a few of my other posts mate. I'm not being funny or argumentative, but you've genuinely missed the point a bit and I've gone into more detail in other posts.

RankPostsTeam
International Star5813No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2022Mar 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
If your not cheating, your not trying. Barrie Mcdermott:icons3ae4_files/4541-162reymo-msnicons.jpg

Quote: Remarkable_Rhinos "You need to re-read a few of my other posts mate. I'm not being funny or argumentative, but you've genuinely missed the point a bit and I've gone into more detail in other posts.'"

Re read them, and I do take the points, but my main disagreement is you did say that would be embarrassed if we won, which I wouldn't.

RankPostsTeam
International Star90No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2016Apr 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

It's Sport.

Drama, unexpected turns of events, defying the odds, strength in adversity and even sometimes the downright unfairness of the result are what gives sport its enduring appeal.

Whilst the first 22 weeks or so of the season were generally disappointing, the last 4 or 5 (and the CC final as well tbh) have given me, as a Rhinos fan, more than enough reason to feel justified in following my team with a passion.

Which is surely why people bother with it?

G1
RankPostsTeam
International Chairman32302No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2018Oct 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
982.jpg
[quote:1pqtnbtj]Every player in our squad could probably earn more money with another club. But they prefer to sacrifice a few extra quid in their back pocket to share special memories. And playing at a place like Old Trafford on a night like this makes it all worthwhile.[/quote:1pqtnbtj] Kevin Sinfield:982.jpg

I don't think people pay to watch sport for "entertainment" at all to be honest.

Sport is a tribal thing. It's why fans of teams that are permanently in the doldrums turn out week in week out knowing that their team has no chance. It's about far, far more than entertainment.

My post was carefully worded. I said if we win it will be the most enjoyable season I've had to [iendure[/i.

I watch Leeds because I have a tribal affinity to the club. It's my club. It's the club I was brought up watching. I can watch great games of rugby as a neutral involving other clubs but it doesn't feel the same. So, if my club becomes champions I will enjoy that a great deal. I will also enjoy it more than many previous titles because it will have been achieved in the most dramatic of fashions with the team and the coach overcoming a great deal of adversity.

Which leads me to the other element of sports and, perhaps the most important. My wife won't believe this but Sport is the greatest drama on TV and Leeds have been a drama this season. Here's a much better analogy than remarkable rhinos silly "holiday" analogy. We're like Rocky. Everyone loves Rocky right? Nobody rooted for Appollo Creed (until Rocky III that is). But Rocky was a bum. Losing fights. Average until he got his big shot and he took it.

This season has been like Rocky I and Rocky II all rolled in. The Challenge Cup Final was the fight at the end of Rocky I which we controversially lost. The Grand Final will be the fight at the end of Rocky II if we win. All together now, Adrian! Adrian!

Sport is drama. This has been a dramatic season and there's a potentially dramatic finish around the corner. Who on earth could say that haven't enjoyed that? If this doesn't get the hairs on the back of your neck arisen and your juices flowing then I think you're following the wrong sport.

RankPostsTeam
International Star5813No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2022Mar 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Agree with G1 great post and summed up better than I could have done

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member17230No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Nov 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
3043_1291817917.jpg
#frostiesbitches We know who you are.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_3043.jpg

Quote: G1 "I don't think people pay to watch sport for "entertainment" at all to be honest.

Sport is a tribal thing. It's why fans of teams that are permanently in the doldrums turn out week in week out knowing that their team has no chance. It's about far, far more than entertainment.

My post was carefully worded. I said if we win it will be the most enjoyable season I've had to [iendure[/i.

I watch Leeds because I have a tribal affinity to the club. It's my club. It's the club I was brought up watching. I can watch great games of rugby as a neutral involving other clubs but it doesn't feel the same. So, if my club becomes champions I will enjoy that a great deal. I will also enjoy it more than many previous titles because it will have been achieved in the most dramatic of fashions with the team and the coach overcoming a great deal of adversity.

Which leads me to the other element of sports and, perhaps the most important. My wife won't believe this but Sport is the greatest drama on TV and Leeds have been a drama this season. Here's a much better analogy than remarkable rhinos silly "holiday" analogy. We're like Rocky. Everyone loves Rocky right? Nobody rooted for Appollo Creed (until Rocky III that is). But Rocky was a bum. Losing fights. Average until he got his big shot and he took it.

This season has been like Rocky I and Rocky II all rolled in. The Challenge Cup Final was the fight at the end of Rocky I which we controversially lost. The Grand Final will be the fight at the end of Rocky II if we win. All together now, Adrian! Adrian!

Sport is drama. This has been a dramatic season and there's a potentially dramatic finish around the corner. Who on earth could say that haven't enjoyed that? If this doesn't get the hairs on the back of your neck arisen and your juices flowing then I think you're following the wrong sport.'"

I think that's a very good post Gareth.

Still think personally, that nobody will use the word enjoyable for this season if we lose Saturday. But as I have posted previously, we win and it is the most memorable for me since watching Leeds.

103 posts in 8 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
103 posts in 8 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.26806640625:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
IMG
BOBBIE_IS_SU
8m
Recruitment rumours and links
Uncle Rico
9m