FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

FORUMS > Leeds Rhinos > DECLINE OF SCHOOL SPORT .....
101 posts in 8 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach581No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2012May 2012LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10381.jpg
There is no such thing as bad weather.......only the wrong type of clothes EDIT: Except in Ireland where there is no such thing as good weather:10381.jpg

I played football, rugby, cricket for both the school and local teams. I turned to swimming and became a full international waterpolo player at the age of 14. How many paid people assisted with this? NONE. Every person I had coaching me, organising fixtures for both school and local clubs were parents and helpers.

SSP is just another way of spending money we don't have on something that is not necessary. Sorry it's your job, but in the real world costs must be cut. seems obvious to me.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach9877
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2024May 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
28231_1332863667.jpeg
YEAH LIKE WHATEVER! TEAM UP! TEAM UP!:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_28231.jpeg

This country is skint. And we need to start paying some money back so we can get it off it's ar[ise[/i the quicker everyone understands this the better. Especially the students.

RankPostsTeam
Moderator9189
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
27287_1532947987.png
BELIEVE. BELIEF. BEYOND. IT AIN'T WHERE YOUR FROM, ITS WHERE YOUR AT. SWMC Coach's very own timekeeping aficionado & expert stair inspector.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_27287.png

amen brother.

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman32466No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2018Aug 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
1122_1318449976.jpg
Someday everything is gonna be different, When I paint my masterpiece ------------------------------------------------------ [url=http://jerrychicken.wordpress.com/:k4m40udg]The Jerry Chicken Blog Page[/url:k4m40udg] ------------------------------------------------------ [url=http://www.artgallery.co.uk/artist/gary_kitchen_2:k4m40udg]BUY MY ART ONLINE AT ARTGALLERY.CO.UK[/url:k4m40udg] [url=https://theartonlinegallery.com/artist/garykitch/:k4m40udg]AT THE RIPPINGHAM GALLERY[/url:k4m40udg] .................................................................... [url=http://art-profiles.com/gary-kitchen/:k4m40udg]ART PROFILE[/url:k4m40udg] ................................................................... [url=http://twitter.com/GaryKitch:k4m40udg]On Twitter[/url:k4m40udg] ................................................................... [url=http://www.facebook.com/gary.kitchen2:k4m40udg]On Facebook[/url:k4m40udg] ...................................................................:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_1122.jpg

Just a point...

Nowhere in any reporting of the abolition of the SSP's and their £162mill budget have I seen any mention of the fact that it will save the country £162mill.

What I have seen is reporting that the £162mill will not be ring fenced for sports and Headteachers will be given that budget to spend as they wish, some may continue to spend it on sport, others may not.

What is apparent is that its not a money saving issue.

Him
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member14970No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2021Nov 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2244_1299706258.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_2244.jpg

Quote: Paxo "I played football, rugby, cricket for both the school and local teams. I turned to swimming and became a full international waterpolo player at the age of 14. How many paid people assisted with this? NONE. Every person I had coaching me, organising fixtures for both school and local clubs were parents and helpers. '"

You were obviously lucky then since at my school unless you played football or rugby union (since our PE teacher was an ex Union player) then there was no school sport for boys, and girls were restricted to hockey and netball.
Also the world has changed, due to the marginalisation of sport in schools in the past most teachers and head teachers don't give a toss about it. So you're left with 1 or 2 PE teachers to do 5 school years worth of sports teams virtually on their own.
Yes there are clubs, but kids and parents are often reluctant to go to a club if they haven't tried the sport before since they think it will be too advanced. The school is a perfect place to introduce kids to new sports or to sport in general, especially now that kids have every games console available under the sun.
I would have played RL anyway due to the influence from my parents, however if it hadnt been for school sport I certainly would not have enjoyed several years playing union and cricket since it was school sport that introduced me to these sports and gave me a bit of confidence to go to a local club. I would have spent that additional time either out doing sod all with my friends or sat in front of the tv.

Quote: Paxo "SSP is just another way of spending money we don't have on something that is not necessary. '"

So you think school sport isn't necessary?

Quote: Paxo "Sorry it's your job, but in the real world costs must be cut. seems obvious to me.'"

Very condescending, suggesting that Seth somehow isn't in the real world, and ironic since people who have little to no experience or knowledge of the subject appear to be ignoring the facts that Seth has produced.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach581No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2012May 2012LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10381.jpg
There is no such thing as bad weather.......only the wrong type of clothes EDIT: Except in Ireland where there is no such thing as good weather:10381.jpg

I went to a very ty comprehensive school on a council estate in Wales. The school "teams" were all organized by the PTA not the teachers (because even then they couldn't be d) so I wasn't lucky at all.

I took up water polo having never even seen a game being played. Perhaps my parents weren't as mamby pamby as parents these days and were prepared to let me run with it, who knows.

What I do know is my coach got up ever morning at 5am and drove 15 miles to train me, for the joy of watching me succeed, not financial gain.

I also know my school were more than happy to announce to the world that they had an international in their ranks despite putting NOTHING into it.

I am sick of people who work for local authorities and civil servants ( and students come to that) moaning that they are being effected by current fiscal affairs. Tough, everyone else has put up with your waste for years.
We have NO MONEY for non essentials. Do you really think the number of staff Seth described is value for money? Do you think the private sector could spend this kind of money on things?

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman32466No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2018Aug 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
1122_1318449976.jpg
Someday everything is gonna be different, When I paint my masterpiece ------------------------------------------------------ [url=http://jerrychicken.wordpress.com/:k4m40udg]The Jerry Chicken Blog Page[/url:k4m40udg] ------------------------------------------------------ [url=http://www.artgallery.co.uk/artist/gary_kitchen_2:k4m40udg]BUY MY ART ONLINE AT ARTGALLERY.CO.UK[/url:k4m40udg] [url=https://theartonlinegallery.com/artist/garykitch/:k4m40udg]AT THE RIPPINGHAM GALLERY[/url:k4m40udg] .................................................................... [url=http://art-profiles.com/gary-kitchen/:k4m40udg]ART PROFILE[/url:k4m40udg] ................................................................... [url=http://twitter.com/GaryKitch:k4m40udg]On Twitter[/url:k4m40udg] ................................................................... [url=http://www.facebook.com/gary.kitchen2:k4m40udg]On Facebook[/url:k4m40udg] ...................................................................:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_1122.jpg

Quote: Paxo "
Do you really think the number of staff Seth described is value for money? Do you think the private sector could spend this kind of money on things?'"

The funny thing is that when the private sector get involved in education then yes, they do allocate good resources at sports coaching even though its their more academic successes that they boast about to the parents who can afford their fees - they do seem to think that sports is an intrinsic part of a whole education.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2176No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 201015 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2014May 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
50179_1293328133.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_50179.jpg

Quote: BillyRhino "icon_biggrin.gif I believe the Brighouse and Rastrick Brass Band were on the outlook for trumpet players.... their search could be over!
What a complete tw@ you are.

RankPostsTeam
International Star27No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2010Nov 2010LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Era of the Biff "What a complete tw@ you are.'"

Hes obviously a keyboard warrior

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach3224
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2018May 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
17505_1301920246.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_17505.jpg

Quote: Lethul "Hes obviously a keyboard warrior'"

icon_biggrin.gif Bless and only 23 posts.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner6688No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200421 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: McLaren_Field "Just a point...

Nowhere in any reporting of the abolition of the SSP's and their £162mill budget have I seen any mention of the fact that it will save the country £162mill.

What I have seen is reporting that the £162mill will not be ring fenced for sports and Headteachers will be given that budget to spend as they wish, some may continue to spend it on sport, others may not.

What is apparent is that its not a money saving issue.'"

No,the 'ringfenced' bit is misleading the funding Is completely cut from the school budget.

Era of The Biff, I'm glad you said that, I was doing my best to be diplomatic,
Bet he's got a small c0ck though so I'll let him vent his frustration, poor guy.

RankPostsTeam
International Star5813No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2022Mar 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
icons3ae4_files/4541-162reymo-msnicons.jpg
If your not cheating, your not trying. Barrie Mcdermott:icons3ae4_files/4541-162reymo-msnicons.jpg

Really it's all pointless. The money has gone. As stated before other generations never had 225 managers and we all turned out ok. I myself competed for gb for several years In what would be classed as a minority sport and had no support from anyone (other than lottery funding for the last 2 years). But again while I understand that yes in ideal world we would have more money on sport but I am watching the news now and stating that the police numbers are not enough and they are having to make cuts and I for one would prefer money spent on these sort of services than employing ssp. I can see that you have all the stats Seth to say things are working well but again I think that if as a county we have to cut in core departments then yours needs to go too.
I think that the above post that billy rhino wrote is a tad harsh it does come accross as someone trying to justify there existance.

Him
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member14970No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2021Nov 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2244_1299706258.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_2244.jpg

Quote: Ferdy "As stated before other generations never had 225 managers and we all turned out ok. '"

Did we? The lack of a consistently good national team at any major sport probably suggests we haven't done that well.

Also, times have changed. I would imagine that when the majority of people who contribute to this board were in school that there weren't a huge amount of McDonalds, Burger King's and KFC's on every street corner, that there wasn't a huge amount of processed food aimed directly at children in virtually every shop in the country, that their parents probably had a wee bit more time to spend with them, and that kids bedrooms weren't packed with TV's, PC's and games consoles.

School is the introduction to sport for so many kids who don't get it from their parents at home. Some parents should do more for their kids, some cant or don't know how to. I know it's only anecdotal but we get so many kids to our training who were introduced to RL at school, if they hadn't they would probably still be sat playing on their playstations, not to mention the ones who would be out doing no good if it weren't for the threat of getting a bo!!ocking at their sports club.

Quote: Ferdy " can see that you have all the stats Seth to say things are working well but again I think that if as a county we have to cut in core departments then yours needs to go too. '"

Now then you've changed your argument here. Either sports funding is not needed or it's simply less vital than other things?
When the coalition can spend so much money, literally billions of pounds, on needless and reckless re-organisations, divisions and siphoning off of the entire health and education systems, then why is a poxy £165m suddenly so vital? Or why not cut the sports funding budget by 20% like every other department? That would be fairer surely instead of getting rid of it altogether?

What do we want from kids? We constantly tell them that they're thick and useless, so they get better and better grades in exams at school and we tell them that's just further evidence of how thick they are. We teach them ridiculous, out of date, irrelevant twaddle in school and then complain when they don't pay attention. We tell them all to go to university and then complain that they're all going to university. We keep them wrapped up in cotton wool and then tell them to act their age. We tell them they're all fat and lazy and then take away opportunities for them to do sporting activites whilst packing their rooms with even more games consoles.

No wonder some of them do stupid stuff. I'm surprised they haven't all taken to the streets.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner6688No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200421 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Spot on there Rob. Nobody is saying that before the SSPs kids didn't do sport, but to highligh 1 example of someone who achieved in sport without funding, or 1 school where sport was high on the agenda is pretty ignorant and missing the point. There are now opportunities for all, for kids from poorer background, from schools without the facilities, for key stage 1 children who now regularly meet with other schools for multi skills festivals playground activities are even structured now. As an SSP we introduced dance festivals (again not saying nobody ever did dance, but this reached hundreds who otherwise couldn't do this activity), Par Kor Free Running, table tennis leagues, cheerleading, fencing and so many more diverse sports, as well as B and C team opportunities for netball and rugby etc.

Please if you don't value any of the above and the benefits, leave sarcastic uneducated comments to yourself, it's boring.

The coalition has scrapped the need for any monitoring for sport and pe to be done in future, wonder why that it? To cover the decline in activity so it's not collated. Would this happen for maths and English?? Where schools can either do Shakespeare or if they want just do some colouring in! Physical literacy and the benefits this brings should be equally high on the curriculum.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach3101No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200817 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2018Jul 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
38041_1320825214.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_38041.jpg

I like the pattern this thread is going through.

101 posts in 8 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
101 posts in 8 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

2.89599609375:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Round 27 HKR Away
His Bobness
Recent
Transfer Talk / Rumour thread V4
Once were Lo
Recent
Wigan v Sts discussion - THIS THREAD ONLY PLEASE
The Reaper
Recent
Tom Johnstone
dboy
Recent
Wolves again
BigTime
Recent
Squads - Leopards v Saints
Deeeekos
Recent
Film game
Boss Hog
Recent
Le Cats at home - Los Alomos Custers Last Stand
UllFC
Recent
Tonights match v London
karetaker
Recent
Barrow
PopTart
FORUM
LAST
VIEW
TOPIC
POSTER
Round 27 HKR Away
His Bobness
1m
Salford H Moved to Thursday
Jason65
1m
North Stand
moto748
1m
Recruitment rumours and links
Uncle Rico
1m
Wigan v Sts discussion - THIS THREAD ONLY PLEASE
The Reaper
2m
Rumours thread
PopTart
2m
BORED The Band Name Game
Boss Hog
2m
bulls on Sunday
Greg Florimo
2m
Tonights match v London
karetaker
2m
DoR - New Coach - Investor & Adam - New signings
Jake the Peg
FORUM
NEW
TOPICS
TOPIC
POSTER
Hull KR Secure Second With Victory Over Leeds
RLFANS News
TODAY
Tonights match v London
karetaker
TODAY
Wembley photo
AgbriggAmble
TODAY
Wigan Seal League Leaders Trophy By Thrashing Salford
RLFANS News
TODAY
Barrow
PopTart
TODAY
Holly Spurr Interview
JamieRobinso
TODAY
Wolves again
BigTime
TODAY
Academy Players Promoted to First Team Squad
Simba16
TODAY
Squads - Leopards v Saints
Deeeekos
TODAY
Round 27 HKR Away
His Bobness
TODAY
Squad for London
MorePlaymake
TODAY
Hull FC preview
Hessle Roade
TODAY
Halifax A
dddooommm
TODAY
East stand
PopTart
TODAY
Locations of League
Wollo-Wollo-
TODAY
Matt Parcell to leave at seasons end
Huddersfield
TODAY
Huddersfiels to get new stadium
RobRiches
TODAY
IMG
Fantastic Mr
TODAY
Leaving players
Murphy
TODAY
bulls on Sunday
Greg Florimo
TODAY
Concerts at Stadiums
Fantastic Mr
TODAY
Finn out Murrell in
faxcar
TODAY
Playoff Semi Final
MattyB
TODAY
Bulls Accounts up to Nov 2023
Highlander
NEWS ITEMS
VIEWS
Hull KR Secure Second With Vic..
Wigan Seal League Leaders Trop..
Wakefield Trinity Sweep Aside ..
Catalans Keep Season Alive Wit..
Salford Ensure Play-Offs And S..
Ruthless Wigan Thrash the Rhin..
Huddersfield Giants Hold Off L..
Salford Close In On The Play O..
Leigh Leopards Up To Fourth Af..
Leeds Rhinos Into the Six Afte..
Wigan Warriors Defeat Hull KR ..
Wane Names Provisional Squad f..
Leeds Rhinos Ride Their Luck F..
Wigan Warriors Level Top As Ca..
Castleford Tigers Inflict Anot..
POSTSONLINEREGISTRATIONSRECORD
19.63M 3,203 ↑3280,12114,103
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.

When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
RLFANS Match Centre
 TODAY
     National Rugby League 2024-R29
10:50
Sydney
v
Manly
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R27
15:00
Hull FC
v
Catalans
       Championship 2024-R27
18:00
Featherstone
v
Dewsbury
18:00
Widnes
v
Toulouse
19:30
Wakefield
v
Barrow
 TOMORROW
       Championship 2024-R27
Batley
v
Swinton
Halifax
v
Bradford
Swinton
v
Doncaster
       League One 2024-R24
Hunslet
v
Midlands
Keighley
v
Rochdale
 Fri 27th Sep
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R28
20:00
Salford
v
Leigh
 Sat 28th Sep
       Championship 2024-R28
17:00
Toulouse
v
Batley
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R28
17:00
Warrington
v
St.Helens
 Sun 29th Sep
       Championship 2024-R28
Barrow
v
Widnes
Bradford
v
Swinton
Dewsbury
v
Sheffield
Wakefield
v
Doncaster
Whitehaven
v
Halifax
York
v
Featherstone
 Sun 27th Oct 2024
     Mens Internationals 2024-R2
14:30
England M
v
Samoa M
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)
Matches on TV
Sat 21st Sep
SL
Hull FC-Catalans
Sun 27th Oct
MINT2024
England M-Samoa M
Sat 2nd Nov
MINT2024
England M-Samoa M
Fri 20th Sep
SL 27 Hull KR26-16Leeds
SL 27 Leigh18-12St.Helens
SL 27 Warrington54-0LondonB
CH 27 Sheffield24-26York
NRL 29 Cronulla26-18NQL Cowboys
Thu 19th Sep
SL 27 Huddersfield34-10Castleford
SL 27 Wigan64-0Salford
Sun 15th Sep
WSL2024 14 FeatherstoneW6-32York V
WSL2024 14 Hudds W36-0Wire W
CH 26 Barrow34-14Whitehaven
CH 26 Bradford16-14Batley
CH 26 Dewsbury16-28Swinton
CH 26 Doncaster30-14Widnes
CH 26 Featherstone6-20Sheffield
CH 26 Wakefield20-4York
NRL 28 Canterbury22-24Manly
L1 23 Midlands24-22Workington
L1 23 Rochdale30-18Hunslet
Sat 14th Sep
SL 26 Hull FC4-58Salford
SL 26 Catalans12-8LondonB
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Mens Betfred Super League XXVIII ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wigan 27 721 336 385 44
Hull KR 27 719 327 392 42
Warrington 27 738 319 419 40
Salford 27 550 547 3 32
Leigh 27 566 398 168 31
St.Helens 27 596 388 208 30

Leeds 27 530 488 42 28
Catalans 26 451 423 28 28
Huddersfield 27 468 658 -190 20
Castleford 27 425 735 -310 15
Hull FC 26 324 870 -546 6
LondonB 27 317 916 -599 6
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Betfred Championship 2024 ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wakefield 24 892 256 636 46
Bradford 24 618 373 245 32
Toulouse 23 662 340 322 31
York 26 639 463 176 28
Sheffield 25 618 498 120 28
Widnes 24 513 433 80 27

Featherstone 24 566 472 94 26
Doncaster 24 470 527 -57 23
Batley 24 378 513 -135 20
Halifax 24 475 617 -142 20