Mar 20178 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
75810_1643888256.png
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_75810.png

Quote: Once were Loiners "The best thing that could happen is for the RU case by former players to be held and a firm result comes out one way or another. Fundamentally neither RL or RU can exist if players aren't willing to take risks.

I just don't understand what grounds someone from the 80s or 90s would have for claiming the sport didn't do enough. There wasn't mass outrage at the likes of SBW or Sam Burgess potentially inflicting life-altering damage on opponents with shoulders as late as a decade ago. The reason concussed players in the 80s and 90s used to get a sponge to the head and then back on wasn't because the game was negligent, its because nobody understood the risk of long-term damage.

The other issue for former RL players is quite frankly even if they were successful, what would they get financially? There's no insurance policy that would cover a player who retired a decade ago, and most clubs don't even own their own ground so have no assets, and make losses. That doesn't mean the game doesn't owe them morally and should do its best to help, but if any of the players involved in the class action think they're going to get any meaningful compensation out of RL they are kidding themselves. Dividing not much money by a lot of players means sweet FA.'"

Great post. Spot on.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain4719
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 20186 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
77264_1540382825.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_77264.jpg

Some of the changes are good but some of the critical ones seem very clumsy and poorly thought through. It's hard to fathom.

Whenever you put an approach in place, you have to start with a clear idea of the problem first. What exactly are we trying to achieve? Significantly reduce short and long-term brain injury whilst maintaining the integrity of the game. We won't know whether the laws introduced over the last 2-3 years will be effective until about 10 years have passed or more, and even then it's hard to differentiate between conditions which are "natural" and those incurred through contact, or how many fewer contact injuries have occurred as a result of the law changes.

At Leeds we would always be mindful of Rob Burrow and his tragedy. Nobody wants to see that happen. My beef is that I just don't see how these proposals would prevent another Rob Burrow scenario from happening, but I can see they would stop a Rob Burrow wanting to play the game or stay in it.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2579No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 20205 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: KaeruJim "Some of the changes are good but some of the critical ones seem very clumsy and poorly thought through. It's hard to fathom.

Whenever you put an approach in place, you have to start with a clear idea of the problem first. What exactly are we trying to achieve? Significantly reduce short and long-term brain injury whilst maintaining the integrity of the game. We won't know whether the laws introduced over the last 2-3 years will be effective until about 10 years have passed or more, and even then it's hard to differentiate between conditions which are "natural" and those incurred through contact, or how many fewer contact injuries have occurred as a result of the law changes.

At Leeds we would always be mindful of Rob Burrow and his tragedy. Nobody wants to see that happen. My beef is that I just don't see how these proposals would prevent another Rob Burrow scenario from happening, but I can see they would stop a Rob Burrow wanting to play the game or stay in it.'"

What really bothers me us that all this is on the back of a four game/week trial. Seems a very short period in which to arrive at such sweeping conclusions. Were the players and coaches who took part consulted? Were the fans? The big worry for me is that these recommendations change the game so profoundly that it completely loses it's appeal to fans and broadcasters. It feels like this could hasten the sports demise rather than safeguard it's longevity.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1391No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Were the Burrow head knocks / concussions caused by high tackles or in defence because of his height, he had to tackle low and thus, took stray knees and hips when tackling as well as getting his head in the wrong position.

I suspect he suffered more head knocks as a defender rather than an attacker. We seem to be encouraging players to tackle lower but in my view, this will increase head knocks not reduce them.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain4719
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 20186 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
77264_1540382825.jpg

You make a great point and I can recall a few times where Burrow was knocked around attempting to tackle. He was flipping great in D, barely ever saw anyone get past him what a champion attitude he had.

I really think the authorities are over-estimating the medical effect of stray arms to the head. It's becoming impossible to make effective tackles and the whole thing frustrates players and fans alike. I fundamentally believe they should be working to SIMPLIFY the rules and stop over-engineering everything to the point where it is impossible to officiate. They've got this all wrong I'm afraid to say.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach9061
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200619 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
23603_1336678755.jpg
"Look, I'd never use injuries as an excuse..." Daryl Powell:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_23603.jpg

Quote: rugbyleague88 "Were the Burrow head knocks / concussions caused by high tackles or in defence because of his height, he had to tackle low and thus, took stray knees and hips when tackling as well as getting his head in the wrong position.

I suspect he suffered more head knocks as a defender rather than an attacker. We seem to be encouraging players to tackle lower but in my view, this will increase head knocks not reduce them.'"

You may well be right. I got KO'd a couple of times and KO'd a couple of opponents - all were poorly executed low tackles. And many other players say the same. Whether that still holds true is something the gumshield technology may confirm.
But assuming it does, where does the game go then? A ban on tackles below the waist? Can't say the spectacle of unionesque mauling until a player is halted appeals much.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain4719
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 20186 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
77264_1540382825.jpg

Union has loads of issues with aggressive rucking and mauling - laying prone beneath five 110kg angry men isn't my idea of head injury heaven.

More force through the front rowers in the scrums too (significantly).

Rugby is a risky game by its nature, you cannot remove that risk. You can only reduce it, or just not have a game any more. The question is how much we can reduce the risk without killing the game itself - they are trying to spin it but ultimately these changes harm the game.

We're not the only sport to face similar issues but... how the heck boxing and MMA/UFC can be OK and RL isn't, is beyond my tiny intelligence to understand.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner6695No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200421 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

The only thing I can assume with boxing is they have relatively few fights in a year.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach9061
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200619 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
23603_1336678755.jpg
"Look, I'd never use injuries as an excuse..." Daryl Powell:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_23603.jpg

In GB boxers have an annual brain scan and blood tests to check for deterioration. I'm guessing the cost of testing all playing staff in similar way wouldn't be insignificant.

RankPostsTeam
Fringe Player569No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 20223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Agree with the majority of what's been said here. The proposals are the ultimate knee jerk reaction and incredibly poorly thought out. Even a casual observer over a number of games would see that the overwhelming majority of HIA's are caused by poor tackle technique (head in the wrong place) or tackling so low that contact with the ball carriers hip/elbow is inevitable. If this is the way we're going as a society, I really don't understand how a sport where the aim is to physically hurt your opponent by hitting them in the, amongst other places, head, isn't mired in litigation. Yet it isn't. It's almost as if the risks associated with boxing are so overt that any claim would be doomed to failure. Perhaps RL, and RU, are taking the lazy way out, and in turn, condemning the sports to oblivion in the process.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain4719
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 20186 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
77264_1540382825.jpg

We could do more to penalise foul play - if someone intentionally takes your knees out or whatever it can still lead to significant injury. Then we had ridiculous bans robbing our international team of players. They have just got it wrong at the moment on a number of levels.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2579No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 20205 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: YosemiteSam "Agree with the majority of what's been said here. The proposals are the ultimate knee jerk reaction and incredibly poorly thought out. Even a casual observer over a number of games would see that the overwhelming majority of HIA's are caused by poor tackle technique (head in the wrong place) or tackling so low that contact with the ball carriers hip/elbow is inevitable. If this is the way we're going as a society, I really don't understand how a sport where the aim is to physically hurt your opponent by hitting them in the, amongst other places, head, isn't mired in litigation. Yet it isn't. It's almost as if the risks associated with boxing are so overt that any claim would be doomed to failure. Perhaps RL, and RU, are taking the lazy way out, and in turn, condemning the sports to oblivion in the process.'"

Agree with that. Boxing is an inheritently dangerous business, yet the sport and its practioners seem to have made peace with that years ago. They did away with 15 round bouts in the late 80's and weigh ins on the day of the fight not long after. Beyond that not much has changed rules wise since. The risks are self evident yet despite the chaotic proliferation of world titles it retains its appeal.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain5871
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 20178 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
75810_1643888256.png
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_75810.png

Quote: ArthurClues "What really bothers me us that all this is on the back of a four game/week trial. Seems a very short period in which to arrive at such sweeping conclusions. Were the players and coaches who took part consulted? Were the fans? The big worry for me is that these recommendations change the game so profoundly that it completely loses it's appeal to fans and broadcasters. It feels like this could hasten the sports demise rather than safeguard it's longevity.'"

Spot on mate. totally agree. I really do now fear for the future of the game. This has the potential to kill it, no doubt about it

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain4719
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 20186 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
77264_1540382825.jpg

I suspect if you polled the players and supporters, an overwhelming majority would be against these significant rule changes on top of others in recent years which have been frustrating.

What is the point in running "trial" games under these new rules, which I can confirm were disastrous, if the decision had clearly already been made? Where is the consultation? Totally agree with those posting on the risks of head injury in D, which in my view outweighs the now small risk of head high tackling. Are we going to outlaw tackling too? Where are they going with this?

I don't personally want to see a return to the Mick Cassidy outrageous elbow to Adrian Morley's head acts... I'm glad that kind of thuggery is disappearing. But that was always illegal. They would do better improving the quality of refereeing under the existing rules rather than introducing more rules to make their jobs even harder.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner6695No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200421 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

I've only just watched the video introducing the rule change, wow. Loads of penalties and when a tackler actually manages to not commit an offence how do they wrap up the ball and prevent offloads without conceding a penalty?

210 posts in 15 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
210 posts in 15 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.037109375:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
TV Games - Not Hull
Hasbag
10m
Transfer Talk / Rumour thread V4
christopher
11m