JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 20231 year
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

If we are saying injuries are to blame for our current woes then lack of quality in the squad to cover is also a factor, is the club actively doing it's best to rectify these issues?

RankPostsTeam
Academy Player819No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 20222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: RAPIDO "If we are saying injuries are to blame for our current woes then lack of quality in the squad to cover is also a factor, is the club actively doing it's best to rectify these issues?'"

I don’t think anyone’s saying it’s to blame, just that it’s a contributing factor.

To your other point, I think the signings of Mcdonell, Roberts, Hooley, Olpherts and Ruan were made with that in mind. Didn’t Smith last year say he was shocked that he was 1/2 injuries from throwing 17 year olds in. I’d say that’s been rectified. Granted Olpherts (and maybe Hooley) don’t look to have worked out but the other three are/look like they could be handy squad players at a minimum.

RankPostsTeam
First Team Player1047No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 20204 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Some really interesting points - with a club of our size and financial muscle we shouldn't be struggling as we are. Is there some deeper undercurrent in the culture of the club that is holding back progress. We now the over reliance on the golden generation was an issue - thankfully this has passed. Having heard rumours as to how the club treated certain players plus the treatment of Furner is Leeds considered a toxic environment that stops the recruitment of the best youngsters and overseas players?

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach3240No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Listening to a part of a podcast Blake Austin was on that was posted on Twitter today seems like GH might be part of the problem?

Was talking about the NZ game after the Grand Final last year and despite 10 players been away on the after the GF for several days they were all told that they had to play the NZ World Cup friendly and if they didn’t they would be in breach of contract. Was saying Martin asked GH if he could withdraw on basis that if he he got injured in a friendly he’d miss representing PNG at the World Cup but was told he had to play

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member13385No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
3357_1596183529.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_3357.jpg

Quote: cheekydiddles "Listening to a part of a podcast Blake Austin was on that was posted on Twitter today seems like GH might be part of the problem?

Was talking about the NZ game after the Grand Final last year and despite 10 players been away on the mickey after the GF for several days they were all told that they had to play the NZ World Cup friendly and if they didn’t they would be in breach of contract. Was saying Martin asked GH if he could withdraw on basis that if he he got injured in a friendly he’d miss representing PNG at the World Cup but was told he had to play'"

That’s if he’s not embellishing things a little, I don’t think he’s doing his contract negotiations any good, don’t think current players should be slagging off the club like that in my opinion.

The NZ game was announced in may, Austin makes it sound like it was planned within a week.

RankPostsTeam
First Team Player2401No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 20204 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: christopher "That’s if he’s not embellishing things a little, I don’t think he’s doing his contract negotiations any good, don’t think current players should be slagging off the club like that in my opinion.

The NZ game was announced in may, Austin makes it sound like it was planned within a week.'"

I honestly thought the NZ game was pointless from the day it was announced, but as you say the players knew the score. Austin is making himself look like a bit of stirrer, which is a shame. Don't see what either the club or the player has to gain from his staying at this point.

RankPostsTeam
First Team Player143No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 20204 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

In the golden era and even a little after of McGuire, Burrow, Sinfield, Webb, Diskin, Mathers, Ablett, etc etc... there was definitely a desire with the players unlike what we have now, whether the players are content with their levels or just can't be bothered trying that extra 5% (or more), I don't know, but even the atmosphere has changed from crackling to somewhat subdued almost, largely down to the performances on the pitch but we, the fans were the 18th man by all accounts.

Eras, personnel, even prices of tickets have a bearing I feel.

RankPostsTeam
First Team Player1047No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 20204 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: christopher "That’s if he’s not embellishing things a little, I don’t think he’s doing his contract negotiations any good, don’t think current players should be slagging off the club like that in my opinion.

The NZ game was announced in may, Austin makes it sound like it was planned within a week.'"

Chris - whether Austin's behaviour is appropriate or not - I personally think it should be kept behind closed doors it does suggest the club could handle these matters in a more professional manner. No doubt his new offer will be significantly lower the player will be disgruntled and his agent here SMTM, will be looking at ways to increase that. Craig and Gary seem to have a challenging relationship - a clash of egos?

If the rumours around Tetevano and Ward and the lack of proper insurance suggests the welfare of the players is a pretty low priority to the club especially the youngsters who the club don't/won't insure. This may well explain why Leeds can't attract the quality of player a club of this size should?

Could it be the golden generation had a loyalty to each other rather than the club - who despite all the money they made on the back of their success weren't prepared to pay them in line with other top players.

Danny McGuire despite everything he did for the club was told he wasn't wanted yet played a further two years at Hull KR.

Does this sound like a player centric club?

RankPostsTeam
First Team Player1047No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 20204 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: ArthurClues "I honestly thought the NZ game was pointless from the day it was announced, but as you say the players knew the score. Austin is making himself look like a bit of stirrer, which is a shame. Don't see what either the club or the player has to gain from his staying at this point.'"

Completely agree - his position is untenable now - the NZ game was just a money making exercise and it again shows where the priorities are in the club and it isn't player welfare.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member13385No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
3357_1596183529.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_3357.jpg

Quote: Zoo Zoo Boom "Chris - whether Austin's behaviour is appropriate or not - I personally think it should be kept behind closed doors it does suggest the club could handle these matters in a more professional manner. No doubt his new offer will be significantly lower the player will be disgruntled and his agent here SMTM, will be looking at ways to increase that. Craig and Gary seem to have a challenging relationship - a clash of egos?

If the rumours around Tetevano and Ward and the lack of proper insurance suggests the welfare of the players is a pretty low priority to the club especially the youngsters who the club don't/won't insure. This may well explain why Leeds can't attract the quality of player a club of this size should?

Could it be the golden generation had a loyalty to each other rather than the club - who despite all the money they made on the back of their success weren't prepared to pay them in line with other top players.

Danny McGuire despite everything he did for the club was told he wasn't wanted yet played a further two years at Hull KR.

Does this sound like a player centric club?'"

They're all assumptions though that are made to come to a conclusion.

The club has said they have looked after Tetevano and he himself has thanked them for their support, and funnily enough where did the rumour come from - Blake Austin.

What's the Ward rumour Ive not heard anything about insurance with Ward?

McGuire was offered a one year extension with a view to moving 'upstairs' afterwards, but wanted two and Hull KR offered him silly money so he went.

I'm sure Craig Harrison and GH do clash they both want what's best for their own interests, however I have heard say that there isn't a club in the country that look after the younger payers better than Leeds.

RankPostsTeam
Fringe Player154No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 20213 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

As a Warrington fan i've been reading this thread with interest. Some very good posts and i can see where the original poster is coming from. I feel we are in a similar boat to you guys. Constantly rebuilding. Although we never had the success you did. Now we have this air of desperation about us sacking Powell and finding a new coach.
In terms of Leeds. I've noticed over the last few years you are content with throwing money at players around your nearest rivals that have had maybe 1/2 good seasons in total. The likes of Sezer, Olpherts, Gale etc getting a bigger contract with a bigger club and the expectation is quite high. With many of these they haven't performed and could be described as failures in some quarters. I definitely think recruitment has been poor like Warrington. Like others have said, Saints seem to have success with imports such as Paasi, Sironen, Mata'utia, Coote etc. I think if you ask any player coming from the NRL who would they want to sign for to win trophies - there is only really one team - Saints. and it galls me to say it. Maybe that is the unique draw they have. Maybe some players just dont want to come to other teams these days.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member5442
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2024May 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
1230.gif
“You are playing a game of football this afternoon but more than that you are playing for England, and more even than that, you are playing for right versus wrong. You will win because you have to win. Don’t forget that message from home. England expects every one of you to do his duty.”:1230.gif

I've always seen a lack of ambition from Leeds Rhinos, and Rugby League in general, I imagine it looks good from the owners point of view to keep things ticking over and play it safe but a few years ago I found I wasn't getting value for money so stopped going to the games and buying the shirts etc.

We used to have "Britain's best supported rugby club", I appreciate that was a bit of a fudged claim, but that was before a sustained period of success, the crowds didn't grow during that period, and it is all fine because the real money is in corporate sales, but why not have both? Leeds should have got to the point where sell outs were regular occurrences, but they made the ground smaller and just bumped up the prices. Selling five shirts to one person is seen as preferable to selling one shirt to five different people.

We used to have a world class team, with England, NZ and even Aussie internationals, but we let them go without replacing them. At first the promise was made that we wouldn't do that, and that probably sold enough season tickets, then we stopped promising and the sales didn't go down too much, then we let more players go, and sent out a video/email asking for faith in the youth system, and that meant enough money was coming in to maintain a weak squad, its all followed the same pattern, do the bare minimum to keep the business running, but sporting ambition is a distant second.

We should be putting more on the pitch, better entertainment, higher quality signings wtc. Obviously the salary cap limits the sport, but what I have seen GH/Leeds lobbied for no increases in the cap, I'm sure it makes sense from a certain point of view, but for me Leeds should be driving for bigger and better, not plodding along near the back of an increasingly slow race.

The constant reliance on loyalty branding is clever when it works because you can ask someone to stick with you even when you aren't doing well, which means that poor performance isn't punished by the bottom line. But I know they could do much better with the money, so they don't get any of mine until they can show they are making a better effort.

RankPostsTeam
Junior Player585No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 20231 year
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Hopie "I've always seen a lack of ambition from Leeds Rhinos, and Rugby League in general, I imagine it looks good from the owners point of view to keep things ticking over and play it safe but a few years ago I found I wasn't getting value for money so stopped going to the games and buying the shirts etc.

We used to have "Britain's best supported rugby club", I appreciate that was a bit of a fudged claim, but that was before a sustained period of success, the crowds didn't grow during that period, and it is all fine because the real money is in corporate sales, but why not have both? Leeds should have got to the point where sell outs were regular occurrences, but they made the ground smaller and just bumped up the prices. Selling five shirts to one person is seen as preferable to selling one shirt to five different people.

We used to have a world class team, with England, NZ and even Aussie internationals, but we let them go without replacing them. At first the promise was made that we wouldn't do that, and that probably sold enough season tickets, then we stopped promising and the sales didn't go down too much, then we let more players go, and sent out a video/email asking for faith in the youth system, and that meant enough money was coming in to maintain a weak squad, its all followed the same pattern, do the bare minimum to keep the business running, but sporting ambition is a distant second.

We should be putting more on the pitch, better entertainment, higher quality signings wtc. Obviously the salary cap limits the sport, but what I have seen GH/Leeds lobbied for no increases in the cap, I'm sure it makes sense from a certain point of view, but for me Leeds should be driving for bigger and better, not plodding along near the back of an increasingly slow race.

The constant reliance on loyalty branding is clever when it works because you can ask someone to stick with you even when you aren't doing well, which means that poor performance isn't punished by the bottom line. But I know they could do much better with the money, so they don't get any of mine until they can show they are making a better effort.'"

A very honest post and there will be a good number of people with the same view im getting that way,if Gannon gets picked at six or Handley at one im going to abstain until the club decide to get serious.

RankPostsTeam
International Star1285No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

"Leeds is the greatest club in Rugby League" Alex Murphy 2011:

Quote: christopher "

Not playing or at least not attempting to with the foot should be penalties,'"

I honestly don’t know how the modern RL player manages to get himself out of bed, walk down the stairs and make breakfast, then drive to training if he can’t can’t stand up and put his foot on something the size of a rugby ball. Along with 20 to 30 forward passes a game it’s something the RFL have chosen to ignore like it’s just not happening. And there we have have the death of the game for a growing number of people.

RankPostsTeam
International Star1847No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Downward spiral springs to mind.

262 posts in 18 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
262 posts in 18 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

2.86376953125:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Tonights game v Leeds
karetaker
Recent
Watson toast
Willzay
Recent
have the rules changed
Spookisback
Recent
Round 17 Warrington Away
Les Norton
Recent
Recruitment rumours and links
Alffi_7
Recent
Wigan v Sts discussion - THIS THREAD ONLY PLEASE
Zig
Recent
Saints h
Zig
FORUM
LAST
VIEW
TOPIC
POSTER
Round 17 Warrington Away
Les Norton
4m
Saints h
Zig
5m
Transfer Talk / Rumour thread V4
Exeter Rhino
5m
Recruitment rumours and links
Alffi_7
5m
FC v hull kr
Jake the Peg
5m
BORED The Band Name Game
Boss Hog
6m
Wigan v Sts discussion - THIS THREAD ONLY PLEASE
Zig
7m
This site is crap
tad rhino
7m
Rumours and signings v9
jonh
8m
Just makes me laugh
Wildmoggy
FORUM
NEW
TOPICS
TOPIC
POSTER
Warrington Wolves Into Second With Win Over Leeds
RLFANS News
TODAY
Tonights game v Leeds
karetaker
TODAY
Watson toast
Willzay
TODAY
Watson Been Stood Down
Deeeekos
TODAY
Watson gone
Jo Jumbuck
TODAY
Squads - Leopards v Giants
doc999
TODAY
Just makes me laugh
Wildmoggy
TODAY
Anyone know about wfd v batley
Wollo-Wollo-
TODAY
Bradford
BigTime
TODAY
One more Saints inspired novel
glee
TODAY
Bradford Away 140724
RealSteel89
TODAY
Fax v Fev
The Phantom
TODAY
Cas
RfE
TODAY
Round 17 Warrington Away
Les Norton
TODAY
Saints h
Zig
TODAY
For the live of god Arthur out
batleyrhino
TODAY
Arthur In
KaeruJim
TODAY
Wakefield H
Peter Goddar
TODAY
Squad for Leeds
Or thane
TODAY
Academy Internationa
Winslade's O
TODAY
Jamie Humphreys NRL Debut
Deadcowboys1
TODAY
York v Dons Sunday 14th July 2024 3pm
Double Movem
TODAY
Warrington v Wigan Super League game to take place in Las Ve
Saddened!
TODAY
Las Vegas Official
TF and the w
TODAY
have the rules changed
Spookisback
TODAY
FC v hull kr
Jake the Peg
NEWS ITEMS
VIEWS
Warrington Wolves Into Second ..
Salford Hold On To Beat Unluck..
Lucky Leeds Golden Point Win O..
Wigan Beat Leigh in Derby Thri..
Wakefield Trinity Register Thi..
Englands Youngsters Beat Franc..
Big Win for England Women Over..
2024 State of Origin - Game 2 ..
New Structure for 2025 Challen..
Super League form rewarded as ..
Superb Salford Complete Histor..
Catalans Dragons Survive Secon..
Warrington Wolves Snatch Late ..
Spirit of Rob Burrow Inspires ..
Hull KR Drop Goal Secures Win ..
POSTSONLINEREGISTRATIONSRECORD
19.6M 2,746 80,08514,103
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.

When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
RLFANS Match Centre
 TODAY
     National Rugby League 2024-R19
11:00
Cronulla
v
Wests
     Womens Super League 2024-R8
17:30
WiganW
v
St.HelensW
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R17
20:00
LondonB
v
Castleford
Wigan
v
St.Helens
 TOMORROW
     National Rugby League 2024-R19
08:30
Gold Coast
v
Parramatta
10:35
Brisbane
v
St.George
12:00
York V
v
FeatherstoneW
15:00
Hull FC
v
Hull KR
Leigh
v
Huddersfield
       Championship 2024-R15
Whitehaven
v
Toulouse
Catalans
v
Salford
 Sun 14th Jul
12:00
Wire W
v
LeedsW
       League One 2024-R15
14:00
Newcastle
v
Hunslet
14:00
Hudds W
v
BarrowW
       Championship 2024-R15
Batley
v
Barrow
Bradford
v
Wakefield
Halifax
v
Featherstone
Sheffield
v
Swinton
Widnes
v
Dewsbury
York
v
Doncaster
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)
Matches on TV
Fri 12th Jul
SL
LondonB-Castleford
WSL2024
WiganW-St.HelensW
SL
Wigan-St.Helens
Sat 13th Jul
SL
Hull FC-Hull KR
SL
Leigh-Huddersfield
SL
Catalans-Salford
Wed 17th Jul
SOO
11:05
Queensland-New South Wales
Sat 17th Aug
SL
18:00
Warrington-Leeds
SL
15:30
Wigan-St.Helens
SL
13:00
Hull FC-LondonB
Sun 18th Aug
SL
13:00
Leigh-Salford
SL
15:30
Catalans-Hull KR
SL
18:00
Huddersfield-Castleford
Sun 27th Oct
MINT2024
14:30
England M-Samoa M
Sat 2nd Nov
MINT2024
14:30
England M-Samoa M
Thu 11th Jul
NRL 19 Dolphins36-28Souths
SL 17 Warrington30-18Leeds
Sun 7th Jul
NRL 18 Sydney42-12St.George
NRL 18 Canberra12-16Newcastle
SL 16 Salford22-20Hull FC
CH 14 Dewsbury16-20Doncaster
CH 14 Featherstone66-0Whitehaven
CH 14 Swinton24-12Widnes
CH 14 Wakefield34-12Batley
CH 14 York54-12Barrow
L1 14 Newcastle0-44Workington
L1 14 Crusaders18-32Midlands
L1 14 Keighley20-20Rochdale
WSL2024 7 Wire W10-32Hudds W
WSL2024 7 York V44-0BarrowW
Sat 6th Jul
NRL 18 Canterbury13-12NZ Warriors
NRL 18 Wests28-40Melbourne
NRL 18 NQL Cowboys20-22Manly
SL 16 Hull KR14-16Catalans
SL 16 Leeds17-16LondonB
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Mens Betfred Super League XXVIII ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wigan 15 427 170 257 26
Warrington 17 436 231 205 24
St.Helens 16 429 170 259 22
Hull KR 16 397 217 180 22
Salford 16 317 308 9 22
Catalans 16 304 234 70 20

Leeds 17 309 316 -7 18
Huddersfield 16 298 365 -67 12
Leigh 15 270 250 20 11
Castleford 16 246 435 -189 9
Hull FC 16 218 496 -278 4
LondonB 16 156 615 -459 2
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Betfred Championship 2024 ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wakefield 14 520 154 366 28
Sheffield 14 382 217 165 22
Bradford 14 353 230 123 19
Toulouse 13 344 186 158 17
Widnes 14 327 269 58 15
Featherstone 14 396 283 113 14

Doncaster 14 257 341 -84 13
York 15 339 305 34 12
Batley 14 217 320 -103 12
Swinton 14 284 344 -60 10