FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

FORUMS > Leeds Rhinos > Widdop & Whitehead - Rabbits in the headlights!
170 posts in 12 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member17230No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Nov 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
3043_1291817917.jpg
#frostiesbitches We know who you are.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_3043.jpg

Quote: Biff Tannen "I agree with you. However, i watch very little NRL these days and have not seen anything of Widdop TBH. Is he a totally different player for St George than the one we get to see for England? because imo he has had a fair crack of it the last few years while others have taken stick and has rarely if ever performed above average in an England shirt.He was pretty woeful yesterday, however not alone. He does need to start playing better than that as senior half back now or people are rightly going to criticise, comes with the territory.'"

He has hardly played in the halfs for England up until now. Last week on winning there were a lot of plaudits, including those critisizing now. Difference is we lost this week.

All we ever hear about on these boards is how good the NRL is and how only the best players can play in that league. This lad has been standing out for a few years now in that comp, and now it is only because of the players around him.

Many players play to their best because of the players around them. There have been quite a few at Leeds over last decade who have benefited from that. The fact people are talking about McGuire is laughable, as he can't organise a pish up in a brewery. The key is picking the right attributes to compliment others, just Like Leeds have done. Yesterday said more about the England team, where there were many poor performances, than it said about Widdop.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner1606No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2021Jan 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Superted "Like I say, Widdop is a decent player - he's just not as good as some over here like to think. Some believe in the hype just because he's in the NRL - but in reality, he played the 'safe and steady' role Melbourne have asked plenty of average players in the past to play, and although he's had some good games at the Dragons, he's hardly set the world alight - he's been steady away with a few very good performances and a few anonymous ones, but mainly just a steady Eddie!!!

Would he be a good addition to our team, yes..... Would he be 'marquee' or 'world class' - not in my book!

I don't see him as a leader - so as Sinfields replacement what would we get - better running game and much quicker, decent defense, but nowhere near the same level of kicking game (out of hand or place kicking), and nowhere near the game management skills.... Bit unfair to compare him to Sinfield though I suppose as we'll need to adapt to life without him...'"

A post from back in July when people were calling for us to sign Widdop - I've always maintained he's an average Joe - some people are fooled into thinking he's great because he plays in the NRL - those people clearly don't watch him often... He has the odd good game, but is generally average to anonymous.... Certainly isn't a leading/organising half - his game management is pretty much non-existent, he's just a running threat....

RankPostsTeam
International Star6848No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2023Jul 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
68072_1442575000.jpg
What you looking at?....Butt Head!!:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_68072.jpg

Quote: Gotcha "He has hardly played in the halfs for England up until now. Last week on winning there were a lot of plaudits, including those critisizing now. Difference is we lost this week.

All we ever hear about on these boards is how good the NRL is and how only the best players can play in that league. This lad has been standing out for a few years now in that comp, and now it is only because of the players around him.

Many players play to their best because of the players around them. There have been quite a few at Leeds over last decade who have benefited from that. The fact people are talking about McGuire is laughable, as he can't organise a pish up in a brewery. The key is picking the right attributes to compliment others, just Like Leeds have done. Yesterday said more about the England team, where there were many poor performances, than it said about Widdop.'"

He has 18 caps for England. A few from the bench fair enough,but he is also 26 now and in his prime so is no rookie. Do tell me about a game he has played above average in, because i can't think of one and that includes last week, imo. I agree with what you say regards benefiting from players around him, Obviously Widdop has benefited more than most when he played for the Storm. Like i say, he needs to show more than he has or he will be criticised with the reputation he brings and now as the senior half.

RankPostsTeam
International Star6848No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2023Jul 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
68072_1442575000.jpg
What you looking at?....Butt Head!!:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_68072.jpg

Quote: Superted "A post from back in July when people were calling for us to sign Widdop - I've always maintained he's an average Joe - some people are fooled into thinking he's great because he plays in the NRL - those people clearly don't watch him often... He has the odd good game, but is generally average to anonymous.... Certainly isn't a leading/organising half - his game management is pretty much non-existent, he's just a running threat....'"

Well, like i said i don't watch him in the NRL, but what i have seen for England in the past and in this series so far i wouldn't want to see us spending the big bucks on him.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach15864No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Oct 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10145_1279728778.png
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_10145.png

Most of the time when England halves have been poor is because the pack has been on the back foot.That was not the case yesterday. England's pack did a good job and got us going forward. Our halves had no ability to get the ball to our danger players. Having a second row at centre didn't help either

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman18060No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2023Jun 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
icons077e_files/5454-3678dentheman-msnicons.jpg
Your job is to say to yourself on a job interview does the hiring manager likes me or not. If you aren't a particular manager's cup of tea, you haven't failed -- you've dodged a bullet.:icons077e_files/5454-3678dentheman-msnicons.jpg

Quote: Gotcha "He has hardly played in the halfs for England up until now. Last week on winning there were a lot of plaudits, including those critisizing now. Difference is we lost this week.

Many players play to their best because of the players around them. There have been quite a few at Leeds over last decade who have benefited from that. The fact people are talking about McGuire is laughable, as he can't organise a pish up in a brewery. The key is picking the right attributes to compliment others, just Like Leeds have done. Yesterday said more about the England team, where there were many poor performances, than it said about Widdop.'"

Widdop has never been a stand out player in the NRL - in his days at the Storm he was a bit player who fitted into Bellamy's rigid playing style the focussed on the use of Smith, Cronk and Slater. He was never making decisions about plays or organising the team.

At St George his form has been patchy at best - this season he has been very poor to such a degree that he is playing second fiddle to Benji Marshall.

What he is showing for England is no different from what he has shown in the NRL - he is very one dimensional and lacks some basic techniques.

Like a lot of players he looked better than he was when operating around three of the greatest players of the modern era and a structured style i.e. Bellamy's storm.

I would agree on McGuire's organising skill but he brings a game awareness, skill set and will to win that is light years ahead of anything Widdop has shown.

RankPostsTeam
International Star220No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2020Mar 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
64951_1350404685.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_64951.jpg

Why do we select a second rower to play at centre?? Have we no decent centres in Super League?
Williams has shone a few times for Wigan but he's just not international class yet.
It's all well and good having Watkins, Burgess, Hall and Hardaker in the backs but you must supply them with enough ball and space for them to be able to shine.

I'm not a big fan of McNamara or Lowes. They're not creative enough.

Yesterdays game was the worst international I've ever seen.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5526No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2019Mar 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: xparksider "Why do we select a second rower to play at centre?? Have we no decent centres in Super League?
Williams has shone a few times for Wigan but he's just not international class yet.
It's all well and good having Watkins, Burgess, Hall and Hardaker in the backs but you must supply them with enough ball and space for them to be able to shine.

I'm not a big fan of McNamara or Lowes. They're not creative enough.

Yesterdays game was the worst international I've ever seen.'"

It WAS a terrible spectacle at the worst possible time after the England RU flop. The RU must have been rubbing their hands with glee when they should have been nervous at what 2 supposed top teams in RL should have displayed.
I was slated by some for daring to suggest the last test match (and the French one) were awful; this was even worse. Not just 1 awful team but 2. Horribly boring to watch...and a fillip to the RU in portraying all that is said about RL just being one man carting it up, getting tackled, taking an age to get up, another forward carting it up, getting tackled etc etc. No creativity by either side apart from the amateurish off loads attempted by NZ.
NZ at least had the excuse of not being able to select 1st choice halfbacks; what excuse do England have in that department? As others have said if Widdop is our best, god help us going forward.

As for the centre position....crazy playing Bateman there (Ablett is a better centre). Shenton or Percival or Cudjoe for me.

RankPostsTeam
International Star549No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2016Apr 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
68506_1348769232.jpg
"He's the best coach I've had... His mix of man-management and his game plan is second to none. Since Brian Mac has been in charge, we've been in every final so far. I love playing for him. I can't praise him enough, I've so much respect for him and I hope he's here for a very long time." Kevin Sinfield 29/9/12:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_68506.jpg

A very frustrating afternoon at so many levels.

If England lose next week after offering the same turgid fare, I suspect McNamara will be out and McDermott will be in.

DHM
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach8893
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2024Apr 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
25511_1478008518.jpg
"Well, I think in Rugby League if you head butt someone there's normally some repercusions":d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_25511.jpg

I didn't agree with us kicking the 2 early on line that. Now it looks like the most entertaining option on offer.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member7198
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

I actually thought the half back pairing in the first test went reasonably well and felt they would improve.
Williams for me whilst having a good season with Wigan is not yet international class.
Smith is not the answer so possibly Gale to come in next week.
Bateman is not an international centre even though he is tough as old boots and should make the 17.
Westwood for Whitehead and keep Farrel who gets through a ton of tackling

Still not convinced with SOL but he wont be dropped so he keeps his place.
Graham, Hill and Burgess look good as does Cooper.
Either Cudjoe or Burgess to centre with McGilvary to the other wing if Burgess moves over.
Both him and Hall on the wings will run it in to spare the forwards.
Zak needs to link more in the backs and is proving his defence is much better than his attack.
Such a shame Cuthbo did not get picked if nothing else but for his offloading game.
McNammara appears to have learned nothing from his time in Australia as we continue to play this game like we did 20 years ago.

NZ look poor so do we and like others have said two of the most boring games for us to showpiece our game.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4934
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2022Dec 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
40515_1330766741.jpg
Don't worry about avoiding temptation. As you grow older, it will avoid you! - Winston Churchill:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_40515.jpg

We may have lost our best chance to win the series with the inept display in London. NZ were also poor on attack but had continued to improve whilst England regressed badly. We need to make changes in both personnel and tactics but the players we need were not selected in the squad. Williams has had his chances and now Gale deserves a shot. I am not a fan of Cudjoe but he must be able to offer more on attack than Bateman. But I fear the coach has not the capacity to see what is needed.

G1
RankPostsTeam
International Chairman32302No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2018Oct 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
982.jpg
[quote:1pqtnbtj]Every player in our squad could probably earn more money with another club. But they prefer to sacrifice a few extra quid in their back pocket to share special memories. And playing at a place like Old Trafford on a night like this makes it all worthwhile.[/quote:1pqtnbtj] Kevin Sinfield:982.jpg

I was bored stiff. A real opportunity to showcase the game in the national spotlight in a national (but very underwhelming) stadium. Both teams blew it with some very uninspired attacking play. The defence was tenacious but hardly aggressive. I don't think I can recall an international featuring Eng/GB and the Kiwis that has lacked intensity as yesterdays.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain1421No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 20159 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2021Oct 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Agree a golden opportunity missed. Even the usually superb Roby threw a crazy forward pass that resulted in the nz try from subsequent possession and he did at least one aimless kick early in tackle count. Looked rudderless. They looked tense. If lose next week they will surely get a new coach in. Nz have been average to poor in the halves and it's a real chance to win a series v top nation. Fans get to really get behind them next in the land of pies

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach761No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2021May 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Enjoyed having a look around the Olympic Stadium, a few beers in a couple of bars in Westmlnster, and found the infamous Blind Beggar pub in Whitechapel where the Kray twins ran riot.

Oh, and probably the most boring rugby match I have seen in 40 years of watching the game icon_sad.gif

170 posts in 12 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
170 posts in 12 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.08349609375:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Grand final Tickets
apollosghost
12m
Leigh it is
NickyKiss
15m