Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2024Mar 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

50 years a Rhino / Loiner...long may it go on!:

I agree.
Having grown up supporting Leeds in the Roy Francis era, I loved watching the team play open and attractive football, and accepted that sometimes we would be outplayed by teams who played more negatively and conservatively. Would I have had them change their style?
Definitely not!
The same applies this year. If we win nothing, I will still retain some great memories of the entertaining way we played and the skills which were exhibited over the season.
(Of course, if we do win one of the three on offer, I would be delighted, especially for those who are departing after giving so mush to the Club and its' supporters).

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach24327
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
11400_1493633977.gif
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_11400.gif

Quote: Juan Cornetto "Easter!! I know things are a bit behind in Tadcaster but surely Welles Fargo runs through there by now?

But since news has not reached you yet .....we have been top of the league for most of the season, we are a Wembley finalist and in a good position to finish in the top 4 maybe even in first place. We are playing a most attractive style of rugby admired by opposition fans and coaches alike. Even if we end up missing out on all three Cups the coaches achievement this year deserves great credit already.

Yet the best you can recall saying is something vaguely positive about our structure at Easter! Which underlines the point I made that Mac's long term critics will never be satisfied until he has been replaced which tells you a lot about their judgement and/or stubbornness which explains their deafening silence on the subject.

With regard to the offloading style

i have always have recognised his trophy winning. however I also have pulled his failings such as his use of replacements at times.
I also have said, and I said the same of smith and mclennen, that we had no structure, no plan B. it was the talent of the players that was relied on.
I could have praised him last easter but then, cup apart, the season ended like a crock of sh*t, partly due to over playing players.

what I said was this season has been brilliant because he introduced a structure, set plays and made us a joy to watch.This has been long overdue. the majority of KEY players have been around for all of his tenure, and whilst he deserves every praise going this season I would still question why it has taken him so long.if he continues in this vein I look forward to him staying as long as possible.i also think he has become very tactically astute. perhaps he was happy to let the older players continue as they have but waning powers have forced him into a rethink? who knows but he certainly looks a top coach this season.
whilst i'm happy to explain my reasonings i'm still waiting for the better full backs than hardaker, any time you feel like naming then feel free

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2213
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 20159 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
74125_1470762689.jpg
"Blasphemy is a victimless crime":d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_74125.jpg

I do think he must be in with coach of the season, given our previous low finishing in the tables.

If we keep 1st going into playoffs and get the CC it must be nailed on

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4934
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2022Dec 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
40515_1330766741.jpg
Don't worry about avoiding temptation. As you grow older, it will avoid you! - Winston Churchill:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_40515.jpg

Quote: thebloodbath "Like most jobs you are judged on results.

This season could still go all 2005 on us.'"

SL is in the entertainment business and we have entertained. Even if we don't win the Oscar we have been the best so far so why hold back on giving credit when it's due

RankPostsTeam
International Star11412No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2021Jul 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

"The Golden Generation finally has its Golden Fleece! They have Wembley Cup Final winners medals to add to their collection." 23/08/2014:

Quote: barham red "Leeds will win at a canter, we have no threats and can't defend. This is the best Leeds team ever and sending off a few legends.

As long as Leeds have that mindset we are in with a chance. Lets face that's what Wigan and Wire thought in this cup.

For all the great play Leeds have they also have a stinker in them, lets hope its at Wembley.'"

Can't see us being complacent with Sinfield and Peacock, they won't allow it to happen with it being their final year.

We haven't conceded more than 16 points in our last 8 CC games stretching back to the start of the 2014 competition and that includes games vs Saints x 2, Wire, Hudds and a Cas side who scored points very well last year so it's going to be very tough for HKR to score enough points to win IMO.

RankPostsTeam
International Star11412No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2021Jul 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

"The Golden Generation finally has its Golden Fleece! They have Wembley Cup Final winners medals to add to their collection." 23/08/2014:

I think looking back at his early years at Leeds then yes McDermott was learning on the job (one he inherited 12 months early) and of course made mistakes, he also seemed awkward and uncomfortable which made it hard for people to at warm to him personally regardless of results.

Key thing I think though is recruitment which I'm not sure you can lay at his door, around that time it was our poorest for a long time. Ben Cross, Moore, Griffin, Hauraki, simply not good enough as well as losing our first batch of 'core' players in Senior, Webb and Ali. He's too often been left with a squad that he's clearly not fully confident in a chunk of the players. Switch to the last couple of years and he's been recruited Briscoe, Moon, Cuthbertson, Garbutt and finally seen the likes of Stevie Ward and Singleton ready to play weekly to a good standard.

Interesting several weeks back I read GH talking about Cuthbertson saying we tried to sign him 5 years ago but it didn't happen. Could've made those early McDermott years very different if we'd have pulled off that singing at that time.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4934
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2022Dec 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
40515_1330766741.jpg
Don't worry about avoiding temptation. As you grow older, it will avoid you! - Winston Churchill:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_40515.jpg

Quote: tad rhino "i have always have recognised his trophy winning. however I also have pulled his failings such as his use of replacements at times.
I also have said, and I said the same of smith and mclennen, that we had no structure, no plan B. it was the talent of the players that was relied on.
I could have praised him last easter but then, cup apart, the season ended like a crock of sh*t, partly due to over playing players.

what I said was this season has been brilliant because he introduced a structure, set plays and made us a joy to watch.This has been long overdue. the majority of KEY players have been around for all of his tenure, and whilst he deserves every praise going this season I would still question why it has taken him so long.if he continues in this vein I look forward to him staying as long as possible.i also think he has become very tactically astute. perhaps he was happy to let the older players continue as they have but waning powers have forced him into a rethink? who knows but he certainly looks a top coach this season.
whilst i'm happy to explain my reasonings i'm still waiting for the better full backs than hardaker, any time you feel like naming then feel free'"

So now you have changed to say KEY players. Which ones are you talking about then from the team I mentioned at the Millenium in 2011 ? who were?

Web BJB Delaney Senior Hall
Sinfield Burrow
Kylie Buderus Cross
JJB Ali L
Ablett

Bench: L Burgess Kirke Pitts Watkins

Remember Mac started in 2011 without JP & Mags who were both on the long term injured list. Delaney was in the , Senior later got injured and Ablett stood in then a young Hardaker and Watkins was just a youngster making the odd appearance.

Since then Mac has made 1st teamers out of youngsters Sutcliffe, S Ward, Singleton, Watkins, & Hardaker converting the latter to a FB. Also new players were signed Moon, Achurch, Briscoe, Aiton, Cuthbertson and Garbutt. So the team has been evolving throughout the McDermott era.

You talk of structure and set plays when in fact our attacking style of play is unstructured with less emphasis on set plays. You talk of how long it has taken him to achieve as though every other team is playing the same entertaining way. You discount the fact that BM took over a team that had lost its way the previous season and whose stars were ageing and with key men injured yet he was able to produce back to back championships and then a long awaited Challenge Cup. You talk of overplaying players as though you are an expert in such matters and were in possession of all the facts at the time.

How many times have you expressed your "joy" regarding our coach this year?

Which Leeds coach has a better record at getting to finals and winning trophies and then creating the most exciting side in SL? He doesn't look a top coach this year he is the top coach this year.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach24327
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
11400_1493633977.gif

I mentioned credit for finals twice. how many times do you want it repeating. I know you are ageing but surely not that forgetful? JP and mcguire may not have played that game but they were both around and had been for seasons. clutching at straws to suit your argument?
if you think we have no structure then you need to look again. the offloads are only part of it. the running across the line, drawing men into the tackle and going wide early, while sounding basic, is done to a very high structured standard. it's been worked on and worked on, for which, again, I have given plenty of credit.
hardaker played full back at Featherstone and plenty on here, including me, were calling for him to go there before webb retired. it was hardly rocket science, although he has got far better than I expected. best full back in then SL by miles, but not according to you!
whilst he deserves credit for evolving the team, which again I have said a few times, the real crunch is next season. this would be same whoever is the coach.
as for being an expert on over playing players when forwards can hardly walk and he has used 2 subs in an hour you don't really have to be an expert to ask questions.
we have played some awful stuff when he took over. dour, boring rugby. last season he started changing the style and has taken it further season for which, plenty of times, I have praised him for. unlike you who fail to see his shortcomings I call it as I see it

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach9730No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2017Mar 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
39092.jpg
Ryan Bailey (11/11/83) - The Most Feared Man In Super League The Most Feared Man In Super League (TMFMISL) * Coined by thebloodbath * Inspired by Bailey *:39092.jpg

Quote: Juan Cornetto "SL is in the entertainment business and we have entertained. Even if we don't win the Oscar we have been the best so far so why hold back on giving credit when it's due'"

It's the way the cookie crumbles.

what is 2005 more memorable for? 2 final defeats or slaughtering Wigan in fine style 70-0 at Headingley?

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5526
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2018Jan 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

1 Warrington 2 Hull 3 Wigan 4 Castleford 4 Castleford 5 St Helens 6 Leeds 7 Catalans 8 Hudedersfield 9 Widnes 10 Wakefield 11 Salford 12 Leigh Playoffs:Warrington Hull Wigan Castleford Four sides rejoining: Widnes Wakefield Salford Leigh GF Winners Warrington CC Winners Wigan:

Quote: thebloodbath "It's the way the cookie crumbles.

what is 2005 more memorable for? 2 final defeats or slaughtering Wigan in fine style 70-0 at Headingley?'"

IMV it's most memorable for being cheated out of a Grand Final win because the Bulls cheated the salary cap to bring Adrian Morley over.
The cup final defeat was self-inflicted.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach9730No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2017Mar 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
39092.jpg
Ryan Bailey (11/11/83) - The Most Feared Man In Super League The Most Feared Man In Super League (TMFMISL) * Coined by thebloodbath * Inspired by Bailey *:39092.jpg

Quote: Old Feller "IMV it's most memorable for being cheated out of a Grand Final win because the Bulls cheated the salary cap to bring Adrian Morley over.
'"

Classic southstander some would say icon_wink.gif

A few weeks before that final IIRC Bulls schooled us at Headingley. without Morley!

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner7631No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2018Jul 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
6016_1402401129.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_6016.jpg

Quote: thebloodbath "Classic southstander some would say icon_biggrin.gif

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach24327
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
11400_1493633977.gif

entertaining a great but picking up cups is better.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner28186No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2016Aug 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Transparent Backgrounds/Waldorf.gif
"As you travel through life don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things" - George Carlin [url:2cg5oc2o]http://twitter.com/AndyGilder[/url:2cg5oc2o] [url:2cg5oc2o]http://fromthewesternterrace.blogspot.co.uk[/url:2cg5oc2o] This week: Four keys to a Rhinos win in the WCC:Transparent Backgrounds/Waldorf.gif

If you ask most players and coaches, they'll tell you entertainment is a distant second to winning.

87 posts in 7 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
87 posts in 7 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

4.68701171875:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Round 26 Wigan Away
Once were Lo
FORUM
LAST
VIEW
TOPIC
POSTER
Shareholders Meeting
Scarlet Pimp
2s
Salford H Moved to Thursday
Zig
5s
BORED The Band Name Game
Boss Hog
11s
DoR - New Coach - Investor & Adam - New signings
scarrie
16s
Film game
Boss Hog
37s
This weeks disciplinary
chapylad
42s
Recruitment rumours and links
Alffi_7
42s
Shopping list for 2025
Cuddleclub
1m
Huddersfiels to get new stadium
Huddersfield
1m
Rumours thread
Shifty Cat
FORUM
NEW
TOPICS
TOPIC
POSTER
Squads - Leopards v Saints
Cokey
TODAY
Round 27 HKR Away
FlyingScotty
TODAY
Squad for London
just_browny
TODAY
Hull FC preview
Jimmythecuck
TODAY
Halifax A
Wigan Bull
TODAY
East stand
PopTart
TODAY
Locations of League
Wollo-Wollo-
TODAY
Matt Parcell to leave at seasons end
Huddersfield
TODAY
Huddersfiels to get new stadium
Huddersfield
TODAY
IMG
Fantastic Mr
TODAY
Leaving players
Murphy
TODAY
bulls on Sunday
Hudd-Shay
TODAY
Concerts at Stadiums
Fantastic Mr
TODAY
Finn out Murrell in
Ilkley Fax
TODAY
Playoff Semi Final
MattyB
TODAY
Bulls Accounts up to Nov 2023
Wigan Bull
TODAY
Shareholders Meeting
Scarlet Pimp
TODAY
James Clark
Jake the Peg
TODAY
Le Cats at home - Los Alomos Custers Last Stand
BP1
TODAY
Realistic targets for 2025
the cal trai
TODAY
2024 Southstandercom Prediction Competition Week 27
FoxyRhino
TODAY
Club Statement
UllFC
TODAY
Wakefield Trinity Sweep Aside York Knights Challenge
RLFANS News
TODAY
Old FC when we knew how to play rugby
mk_fc
TODAY
WIRE YED Prediction Competition London Home
karetaker
TODAY
Dons v Widnes - Sunday 15 September 2024
Kick and cha
TODAY
Catalans Keep Season Alive With Victory Over The Broncos
RLFANS News
NEWS ITEMS
VIEWS
Wakefield Trinity Sweep Aside ..
Catalans Keep Season Alive Wit..
Salford Ensure Play-Offs And S..
Ruthless Wigan Thrash the Rhin..
Huddersfield Giants Hold Off L..
Salford Close In On The Play O..
Leigh Leopards Up To Fourth Af..
Leeds Rhinos Into the Six Afte..
Wigan Warriors Defeat Hull KR ..
Wane Names Provisional Squad f..
Leeds Rhinos Ride Their Luck F..
Wigan Warriors Level Top As Ca..
Castleford Tigers Inflict Anot..
Leigh Into the Six After Beati..
Five Into Three - Our Top Six ..
POSTSONLINEREGISTRATIONSRECORD
19.63M 2,730 80,12014,103
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.

When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
RLFANS Match Centre
 TODAY
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R27
20:00
Huddersfield
v
Castleford
Wigan
v
Salford
 TOMORROW
     National Rugby League 2024-R29
10:50
Cronulla
v
NQL Cowboys
       Championship 2024-R27
19:30
Sheffield
v
York
Hull KR
v
Leeds
Leigh
v
St.Helens
Warrington
v
LondonB
 Sat 21st Sep
     National Rugby League 2024-R29
10:50
Sydney
v
Manly
15:00
Hull FC
v
Catalans
       Championship 2024-R27
18:00
Featherstone
v
Dewsbury
18:00
Widnes
v
Toulouse
19:30
Wakefield
v
Barrow
 Sun 22nd Sep
       Championship 2024-R27
Batley
v
Swinton
Halifax
v
Bradford
Swinton
v
Doncaster
       League One 2024-R24
Hunslet
v
Midlands
Keighley
v
Rochdale
 Sat 28th Sep
       Championship 2024-R28
17:00
Toulouse
v
Batley
 Sun 29th Sep
       Championship 2024-R28
Barrow
v
Widnes
Bradford
v
Swinton
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)
Matches on TV
Thu 19th Sep
SL
Huddersfield-Castleford
SL
Wigan-Salford
Fri 20th Sep
SL
Hull KR-Leeds
SL
Leigh-St.Helens
SL
Warrington-LondonB
Sat 21st Sep
SL
Hull FC-Catalans
Sun 27th Oct
MINT2024
14:30
England M-Samoa M
Sat 2nd Nov
MINT2024
14:30
England M-Samoa M
Sun 15th Sep
WSL2024 14 FeatherstoneW6-32York V
WSL2024 14 Hudds W36-0Wire W
CH 26 Barrow34-14Whitehaven
CH 26 Bradford16-14Batley
CH 26 Dewsbury16-28Swinton
CH 26 Doncaster30-14Widnes
CH 26 Featherstone6-20Sheffield
CH 26 Wakefield20-4York
NRL 28 Canterbury22-24Manly
L1 23 Midlands24-22Workington
L1 23 Rochdale30-18Hunslet
Sat 14th Sep
SL 26 Hull FC4-58Salford
SL 26 Catalans12-8LondonB
SL 26 Huddersfield0-66Warrington
CH 26 Toulouse38-18Halifax
NRL 28 Melbourne37-10Cronulla
NRL 28 NQL Cowboys28-16Newcastle
Fri 13th Sep
SL 26 Leigh0-24Hull KR
SL 26 St.Helens40-4Castleford
SL 26 Wigan38-0Leeds
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Mens Betfred Super League XXVIII ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wigan 26 657 336 321 42
Hull KR 26 693 311 382 40
Warrington 26 684 319 365 38
Salford 26 550 483 67 32
St.Helens 26 584 370 214 30
Leigh 26 548 386 162 29

Leeds 26 514 462 52 28
Catalans 26 451 423 28 28
Huddersfield 26 434 648 -214 18
Castleford 26 415 701 -286 15
LondonB 26 317 862 -545 6
Hull FC 26 324 870 -546 6
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Betfred Championship 2024 ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wakefield 24 892 256 636 46
Bradford 24 618 373 245 32
Toulouse 23 662 340 322 31
Sheffield 24 594 472 122 28
Widnes 24 513 433 80 27
York 25 613 439 174 26

Featherstone 24 566 472 94 26
Doncaster 24 470 527 -57 23
Batley 24 378 513 -135 20
Halifax 24 475 617 -142 20