JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2016Feb 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
35376_1277564281.gif
[img:35s0tdes]http://i84.servimg.com/u/f84/12/34/74/45/lr200913.gif[/img:35s0tdes]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_35376.gif

Far too many unforced errors and we got dragged into a very slow grind for an hour.
Then once we opened up and got decent quick ball wide we opened them up at will Cuthbertson deservedly named M.O.M at the ground but Briscoe ran him very close.
Yates got the last 10 minutes and didn't look out of place but imo should have been used sooner Achurch had a real positive impact when he got on as well.
Mags was the better of the 2 H/B's imo and until the last 15 minutes Sinfield killed moves too often either choosing to go himself when we had options out wide or passing too slow giving their defence too much time to close us down.
Defensively we were in full control (their try aside) and i thought Ward's work rate out wide was very good.
Overall a convincing win in the end once we started taking the right options and upped the pace but plenty of improvement needed going forward.

RankPostsTeam
International Star75No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 201311 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2016Jan 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

My general thoughts on the march. We seemed to look average in attack for 45 minutes in attack and poor near their try line.
But the last 15 minutes we looked like we could score from our own half. Widnes players did look tired to be fair.
Cuthbertson to me was the stand out player. Also thought a lot of players did a decent job.
It still annoys me that McDermott spells certain players for 10 minutes.
How on todays game can you judge Yates whether he deserves to be dropped or keep his place?
Anyway happy with a win against a team that are normally pretty solid and have beaten most of the other team at least once in the last two years.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5526
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2018Jan 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

1 Warrington 2 Hull 3 Wigan 4 Castleford 4 Castleford 5 St Helens 6 Leeds 7 Catalans 8 Hudedersfield 9 Widnes 10 Wakefield 11 Salford 12 Leigh Playoffs:Warrington Hull Wigan Castleford Four sides rejoining: Widnes Wakefield Salford Leigh GF Winners Warrington CC Winners Wigan:

Truly a game of two halves.
Both sides were poor for the first 40 minutes.
They had no pressure apart from following a penalty for obstruction on halfway. They then scored via Manufokoa (sp?) rumbling over from 5 metres that could have been prevented had we been able to get a third man into the tackle.
That was the only time I recall they got anywhere near to our line whereas we must have lost the ball half a dozen times within their 20.
That pattern continued for the first 20 minutes or so in the second half. They struggled to get out of their half, we got close a number of times but found ways to drop the ball.
Then it all clicked & we ran away with it.
I personally would have made Briscoe MoM but Cuthbertson also did some good things.
I still feel that we really need someone to coach the attack (Iestyn Harris?) since we defended generally very well & stifled any creativity they had which in truth was very little in the absence of Kevin Brown.

RankPostsTeam
International Star11412No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2021Jul 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

"The Golden Generation finally has its Golden Fleece! They have Wembley Cup Final winners medals to add to their collection." 23/08/2014:

Quote: Him "We weren't very poor for 65 mins. The first 65 mins were the reason we could be sublime in the last 15 mins.

There was some sloppy play in the first 15 mins but after Widnes' try we totally closed them out of the game with some good metres, excellent kick & chase followed up by excellent defence to pin Widnes in their own 30m. The attack wasn't quite firing to start with, we were struggling to create a gap, but those gaps were then created and exposed later on after we'd worn them down.'"

Agreed. We could've been better in the first 65 mins yes (tried forcing it a bit too much near the line and came up with a few knock ons) but we've for a long time been a team who work our way into games instead of blasting out of the blocks and Widnes expelled a lot of their energy keeping us contained in the first 40. Widnes seemed to fire through quite a lot of their interchanges in the first 45/50 mins so no surprise what happened in the last quarter.

As for Briscoe, dare I say excellent??? Every try he was involved in he had to produce something very good to turn it into a 4 pointer. Sure we'll also hear other posters also mention good showings from Cuthbertson and Watkins. Also I thought Aiton went well. With Cuthbertson and JJB there we haven't so far needed to flog Peacock and he hasn't been needed to do ridiculous amounts of work (granted still early days and bigger tests to come on that issue). Also with Cuthbertson what I like is that he's not just a big guy who can run and give an offload, he seems to be very communicative organising-wise whilst we're in attack.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach7374
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Soon we will be dancing the Fandango FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB'S DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESS THEN I DONT KNOW WHAT IS. JAMIE PEACOCK:

Thanks all for the reports

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach15864No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Oct 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10145_1279728778.png
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_10145.png

Two very strong second half performances so far this season.

Some great tries in the second half. Nice to see some entertaining Rugby.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach11658
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2018Aug 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
35138.jpg
Fat people are harder to kidnap.:35138.jpg

Was it just me or did Hicks have a really good game?

Think it's the first time I've every said that!

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member17230No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Nov 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
3043_1291817917.jpg
#frostiesbitches We know who you are.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_3043.jpg

Quote: Fat Boy "Was it just me or did Hicks have a really good game?

Think it's the first time I've every said that!'"

Don't think he had a good game, but certainly wasn't a poor one either. He allowed the teams too close together, which made it very scrappy, and he took too long before losing his patience with the holding down. And of course the one major incident, the Watkins none knock on, he got it wrong. But in his defence he tried to make the game flow, and I certainly didn't see any scenes of the norm, with people jumping off their seats to shout abuse, which tells you something.

Cuthbertson was great, but at the game I couldn't see how Briscoe didn't get MOM, and yes Printer he was excellent. Hardaker too was very very good. I thought Aiton went really well. Sinfield came to life when he switched to hooker, then carried it on when further switched, was awful in first half. Thought Singleton had a good spell. Still think there is an issue with the left side, just not clicking, and Ablett nowhere near the standards he's set previous seasons, in the first two games.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach15864No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Oct 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10145_1279728778.png
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_10145.png

I think that if you drop the ball but mansmanage to connect your foot with it is technically a knock on. You sometimes get away with it, but the correct call imo.

I thought achurch went really well. We look well balanced with 3 second rowers who can move the ball as well as cart it up.
Was nice to see Yates on. He did 10 minutes and didn't look knackered. Kylie may find it hard to get back in icon_wink.gif

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach9059
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
23603_1336678755.jpg
"Look, I'd never use injuries as an excuse..." Daryl Powell:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_23603.jpg

Some of those tries were good to see and we dispatched Widnes pretty effectively, a fairly high error count not withstanding. Attacking-wise, it'd be nice to think that we'd be prepared to play with the levels of confidence and quickness we showed in the last 20 mins against more lofty opponents - having done the hard yards first of course. Best I've seen Briscoe play for a while, mentions also for Watkins, Cuthbertson and Achurch. And good to see Yates debut too.

As others have pointed out, I thought Hicks had a decent game. My feeling at the time was that he'd blown quickly for a knock on and indicated the feed before belatedly realising the ball had been kicked. Either way, the simple answer is to not drop passes then the ref doesn't come into the equation. If I was going to be hyper-critical, his 10 metres weren't policed tremendously well but I can live with that as long as it applies to both sides.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach11658
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2018Aug 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
35138.jpg
Fat people are harder to kidnap.:35138.jpg

Quote: Gotcha "Don't think he had a good game, but certainly wasn't a poor one either. He allowed the teams too close together, which made it very scrappy, and he took too long before losing his patience with the holding down. And of course the one major incident, the Watkins none knock on, he got it wrong. But in his defence he tried to make the game flow, and I certainly didn't see any scenes of the norm, with people jumping off their seats to shout abuse, which tells you something.

Cuthbertson was great, but at the game I couldn't see how Briscoe didn't get MOM, and yes Printer he was excellent. Hardaker too was very very good. I thought Aiton went really well. Sinfield came to life when he switched to hooker, then carried it on when further switched, was awful in first half. Thought Singleton had a good spell. Still think there is an issue with the left side, just not clicking, and Ablett nowhere near the standards he's set previous seasons, in the first two games.'"

The Eagle is right, the Watkins knock on was, unfortunately the correct call. He knocks the ball forward then sticks his boot on the end of it.

The incident was not without ambiguity and could have quite easily gone the other way but IMO Hicks got it right on this occasion.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1554No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2022Sep 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
41106.jpg
You come at the king - You better not miss. It ain't what you takin', it's who you takin' from, ya feel me? How you expect to run with the wolves come night when you spend all day sparring with the puppies?:41106.jpg

"Highlights" are on the rhinos website now, tho they appear to have allowed a 5 year old child to film them...

www.therhinos.co.uk/matchdaytv/? ... a&id=20242

In particular Briscoes running throughout the game seems to have been so elusive that the camera entirely missed him
"Highlights" are on the rhinos website now, tho they appear to have allowed a 5 year old child to film them...

www.therhinos.co.uk/matchdaytv/? ... a&id=20242

In particular Briscoes running throughout the game seems to have been so elusive that the camera entirely missed him

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member7166
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Hats off to the Coach who after numerous discussions with him he finally takes my advice and drops Burrow.
He then puts Sutcliffe on the bench and moves Sinfield to hooker. a014.gif
Now can you have a word with the captain and tell him he needs to make his passing from dummy half much more crisper.
I will let you know when Mulhern needs to replace Kylie Mr McDermott icon_wink.gif

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5526
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2018Jan 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

1 Warrington 2 Hull 3 Wigan 4 Castleford 4 Castleford 5 St Helens 6 Leeds 7 Catalans 8 Hudedersfield 9 Widnes 10 Wakefield 11 Salford 12 Leigh Playoffs:Warrington Hull Wigan Castleford Four sides rejoining: Widnes Wakefield Salford Leigh GF Winners Warrington CC Winners Wigan:

Having had time to mull over the game since last night & in addition to my earlier comments I agree that Hicks had a decent game albeit somewhat slow to deal with their tactics at the PTB.
Our discipline overall was excellent as was our defence &, as has been said, that stifled their attack, ground them down & allowed us to score freely at the end.
Hardaker continues to look as safe as houses under the high bomb but he was put under very little pressure.
Good to get a comfortable win at HQ after so many losses in front of a decent crowd.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach3813No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2020Feb 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

The big thing Hicks got wrong was the massively forward pass for Sinfield's try, but we won't talk about that icon_wink.gif

Good to see JP being used more sparingly, and as others have said Briscoe, Hardaker and Aiton all very good.

67 posts in 5 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
67 posts in 5 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.12060546875:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Round 26 Wigan Away
Once were Lo
FORUM
LAST
VIEW
TOPIC