FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

FORUMS > Leeds Rhinos > I dont know about you but ....
103 posts in 8 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5526No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2019Mar 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: DoubleAone "IIRC the last game against Cas at HQ was a ping pong sort of so called champagne game of, we score you score.

Did we want to see that repeated a Wembley or would we settle for the alternative ???'"

I believe I have made my feelings clear. icon_biggrin.gif

RankPostsTeam
International Star11412No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2021Jul 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

"The Golden Generation finally has its Golden Fleece! They have Wembley Cup Final winners medals to add to their collection." 23/08/2014:

Quote: DoubleAone "IIRC the last game against Cas at HQ was a ping pong sort of so called champagne game of, we score you score.

Did we want to see that repeated a Wembley or would we settle for the alternative ???'"

Like I pointed out a few pages ago, the Sinfield headbutt came about from a broken field play that we worked so well to avoid on Saturday.

As good a gameplan as any of the final victories we've managed in the last 10 years IMO, even if it wasn't the prettiest.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach5848No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2017Mar 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
9812.gif
:9812.gif

Quote: ThePrinter "

As good a game plan as any of the final victories we've managed in the last 10 years IMO, even if it wasn't the prettiest.'"

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder........I thought the first half was pretty damn near perfection.......which is true beauty icon_biggrin.gif

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman18060No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2023Jun 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
icons077e_files/5454-3678dentheman-msnicons.jpg
Your job is to say to yourself on a job interview does the hiring manager likes me or not. If you aren't a particular manager's cup of tea, you haven't failed -- you've dodged a bullet.:icons077e_files/5454-3678dentheman-msnicons.jpg

I think most people would like to see the attacking moves from the last SL game and the result from the CC final. You cannot have everything - the point was to win the game and that is what Leeds did.

Personally I want to see elite players showing off their sublime skills to the maximum, I want to come away from a game genuinely awe-struck with some of the skills on show. Seeing a Watkins at full throttle swerving past a defender at full pace is more my thing than kicking the ball 15 metres into touch on the last play. It is all a question of taste and circumstance.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member22289
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200322 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Aug 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
4615.jpg
:4615.jpg

Leeds recovered from a slow start in the '99 final and took the lead on half-time before conceding the first try in the second half. Leeds were not afraid to go out and play in order to win that game despite the twenty one year wait - a fact reflected in the final scoreline.

After Castleford also scored first in the second half how long did Leeds keep them in the game with their own negative play on attack. How many times have teams lost games in the past that they were dominating and leading in simply because they stopped trying to score more points themselves?

Putting in an attacking kick with a co-ordinated chase could have resulted in a Castleford error or another 'McGuire try' - banging it into touch on the last merely turned the possession over without any threat to the Castleford line. Maybe it was Leeds who needed the rest because of their ageing pack and the coach's legendary underuse of the bench. Anyone seeing Peacock around the thirty minute mark must wonder what he has to do to get a rest or was it another case of him refusing to leave the field?

Leeds won a game they dominated for huge stretches (and as stated already for this group on this day the result is all that mattered and I've not said otherwise) but they only found daylight relatively late and as per usual it came courtesy of an exceptional individual effort.

Is Hall coached to beat four men to score or is it just something that he is (almost uniquely) capable of?

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member7762No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200322 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2023Jan 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
4091_1342888943.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_4091.jpg

Quote: tvoc "

Is Hall coached to beat four men to score or is it just something that he is (almost uniquely) capable of?'"

Admittedly it takes a special player to do that, but the repeated probing down the Cas right hand side in the first half probably led to a somewhat weary defence by the time Hall crashed through it.

RankPostsTeam
International Star11412No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2021Jul 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

"The Golden Generation finally has its Golden Fleece! They have Wembley Cup Final winners medals to add to their collection." 23/08/2014:

^^^^^^^^^^^

What did I say

To try and compare 1999 and 2014 is desperate and foolish.

What Castleford have shown this year is more than the London team of 1999 did which achieved more losses than wins. Had Sneyd or Finn floated a pass out wide that Briscoe could intercept for a 90m try just like Rivett did then we could hold some weight to your argument.

I don't recall many of the Leeds tries in the 2nd half in 1999 being the result of last tackle options......but grasp if you must. I doubt the Leeds team of 1999 would've scored 50 if they'd have faced the Cas side of 2014.

RankPostsTeam
International Star906No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2020Mar 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
67994_1345549562.jpg
[img:2xirtsxp]http://i.imgur.com/McLig5F.jpg[/img:2xirtsxp]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_67994.jpg

Can't believe the tactics are being criticized after we WON. Fair enough had we lost but in reality it's not about how you win, that doesn't go down in the history books the score does

RankPostsTeam
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200322 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Aug 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
4615.jpg

Quote: nantwichexile "Sorry TVOC....I normally agree with what you have to impart and I do understand what you are saying BUT I enjoyed the Leeds team performance immensely. '"

No need to apologise as I also enjoyed the result and as intimated already no-one will care how it was achieved only that it was achieved and I'm no different to everyone else in that regard.

The spectacle of League will not be improved by employing negative tactics such as deliberately kicking the ball off the field when in attacking positions and is a tactic best left to others who perhaps 'play their rugby elsewhere' as Bill McLaren used to inform BBC viewers and I trust and hope it's a one-off used only in the exceptional circumstances that the Leeds legendary core group found themselves in on Saturday.

Him
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member14970No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2021Nov 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2244_1299706258.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_2244.jpg

I don't know why the tactics are being criticised or are somehow thought to be dull or boring.

They're no more boring than the tactics any other team has used this year.

Some people, probably because Dave Woods kept saying during commentary that it "wasn't a classic", also seem to think it was a boring game.
Far from it. It was quick and both sides passed the ball out wide.

I sometimes wonder what some people are actually watching because it can't have been the game of rugby that actually took place.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach3813No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2020Feb 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

I wouldn't say the tactics were boring (is a kick to touch more or less boring than a kick into the in-goal) but they were negative, and they were negative for a reason. As people have already said, it stopped Cas doing what they did best.

I've no complaints about the tactic and it was implemented perfectly. The group of players clearly desperately wanted to win and didn't press home their advantage in the second half in case it somehow risked letting Cas back in the game.

Personally, I thought kicking to touch when in the Cas 30 was taking it too far. Think we put in 4 attacking kicks in those circumstances: the one bomb to Dorn which was a McGuire try, one to Dixon which he messed up but Cas came away with the ball (5 yards from their line, just as they would have if we'd put it to touch), and two improvised McGuire grubbers each of which led to repeat sets from which we scored. But there were also half-a-dozen times in the Cas 30 where we rifled the ball dead or into touch. Not from within our own half, but from attacking positions.

We could have pressed home our advantage with more attacking kicks when deep in Cas territory and where the danger of returns was low. Judging from how things went when we actually did put in those kicks we'd have scored a lot more points than 23, but I think in the second half the understandable ultra-conservative mentality born of many CC defeats led our players to concentrate on making absolutely sure Cas didn't score and were always starting their sets 90 yards out, rather than being massively interested scoring ourselves.

Like I said - end justifies means and no complaints, but anticipate we'll play things a bit differently over next few weeks.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach15864No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Oct 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10145_1279728778.png
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_10145.png

Quote: Sal Paradise "I think most people would like to see the attacking moves from the last SL game and the result from the CC final. You cannot have everything - the point was to win the game and that is what Leeds did.

Personally I want to see elite players showing off their sublime skills to the maximum, I want to come away from a game genuinely awe-struck with some of the skills on show. Seeing a Watkins at full throttle swerving past a defender at full pace is more my thing than kicking the ball 15 metres into touch on the last play. It is all a question of taste and circumstance.'"

There is skill on both sides of the game, and the speed and aggression of the defensive line was a joy to behold.

Leeds tactic of the day was to back their defense to hold case away from their line. The two tries came from a double repeat set which was initiated from a penalty, the one from a blatent forward pass on half way.
Whilst the score kept me nervous, Cas rarely threatened our line

Constantly battling away from their line meant that mistakes handed us the positions to score from.

Kicking the ball into touch gave the forwards the 20 seconds to catch their breath they needed to really get into the cas players.

There are many ways to skin a cas, and we did it perfectly

RankPostsTeam
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200322 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Aug 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
4615.jpg

Quote: Him "I don't know why the tactics are being criticised or are somehow thought to be dull or boring.

They're no more boring than the tactics any other team has used this year. '"

What is being commented on is the tactic of deliberately kicking the ball into touch when in attacking positions, which I would personally define as anything within say 35 to 40 metres of the opponent's try-line. Leeds either did/or attempted to do this on two or perhaps three occasions in the third quarter on Saturday. It appeared an attempt to protect the first half lead rather than to protect and to build upon it. If so it failed as during this period Castleford reduced the Leeds lead to a single converted try. Indeed the Castleford score in this quarter incidentally followed a failed Sinfield attempt to bounce the ball into touch while in an attacking position on the last. Leeds' needless negative approach got what it deserved and was all the more disappointing as the previous Leeds kick was much more effective as it pinned an isolated Dorn four metres from his own line.

Quote: Him "Some people, probably because Dave Woods kept saying during commentary that it "wasn't a classic", also seem to think it was a boring game. Far from it. It was quick and both sides passed the ball out wide. '"

The only person I recall employing that particular term was someone speaking in favour of the negative tactic employed by Leeds on the last on occasions and a couple of others wishing to represent (mis-represent?) what others are saying.

Quote: Him "I sometimes wonder what some people are actually watching because it can't have been the game of rugby that actually took place.'"

I'm not saying this about you but more generally I only really wonder these days why people aren't willing to engage in discussions about the actual incidents within a game in a respectful manner without resorting to either playground insults or the often inappropriate use of smileys (or both) no doubt intended to demean the honestly held views of another poster - where I hope it's still recognised they only actually demean themselves when doing so.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member9565No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2019Dec 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
fonds noir/Buzz Lightyear.gif
:fonds noir/Buzz Lightyear.gif

Had Leeds managed to win a couple of their previous CC finals, I'm sure they would have been more willing to chance their arm against Cas. Not winning the cup was a huge monkey on the collective backs of more than half the team, and I think in the circumstances a 'safety first' gameplan made sense.

As others have said the 2004 GF was a relatively dour affair as well, especially for a team that had generally been renowned for scoring lots of tries. The 2009 GF was a really dull affair as well.

Sometimes finals work out that way. In fact absolute 'classic' matches in finals aren't that common from memory (....prepares for list of great games). For every Hull-Wigan 1985 there's a Hull-Wigan 2013.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member1844No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200322 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
4735_1565873248.gif
Born a Loiner die a Rhino (but not too soon I hope):d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_4735.gif

Thought it was a great result and tactically very astute with a well executed 'game plan' there for all to see. Some people described our approach as 'ruthless' and I think, for all the reasons we know well, that it was indeed a ruthless/clinical/professional sustained performance.

I also share TVOCs view that it was not particularly a brand of football I would want to see week in week out, to be honest in the cold light of day with the emotion stripped out it was rather dull stuff.

Of course this raises issues about why any of us go to see any competitive sport (to win trophies or to be entertained) of course the best teams can and do do both. In the long run I really want to go to see professional RL and Leeds in particular to be entertained but occasionally I am happy to forgoe high entertainment for a ruthless but somewhat dull trophy winning performance. Obviously losing game after game whilst trying to play sublime football all the time becomes frustrating and not particularly entertaining!

SO I would argue for a balance of efficiency and entertainment and if occasionally we have to deliver a less than thrilling performance to 'get the job done' I can live with that!! What I can't live with is low levels of entertainment throughout the season with a focus solely on winning the end of season knockout tournament by playing the way we did at Wembley.

103 posts in 8 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
103 posts in 8 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

3.044921875:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Tonights match v HKR
Or thane
Recent
Leigh it is
moto748
Recent
Squads - Leopards v Warriors
Cokey
Recent
Grand final Tickets
NickyKiss
Recent
Season tickets
Ilkley Fax
FORUM
LAST
VIEW
TOPIC
POSTER
2024 IMG gradings
Victor
2m
Sam Burgess
morleys_deck
2m
ALL NEW 49ERS ERA LEEDS UTD THREAD
leedsbarmyar
2m
Leigh it is
moto748
2m
Season tickets
Ilkley Fax
2m
Who do you want to win the Grand Final
morleys_deck
3m
Game - Song Titles
Boss Hog
5m
TV games not Wire
Cherry_Warri
5m
Proposed rule changes 2025
MjM
6m
Rumours thread
PopTart
FORUM
NEW
TOPICS
TOPIC
POSTER
Grand final Tickets
NickyKiss
TODAY
Wigan Humiliate Leigh For Grand Final Place
RLFANS News
TODAY
Refs referring it to video as a try or not
Barstool Pre
TODAY
Questions for Ste Mills
PopTart
TODAY
Decision on the field
MR FRISK
TODAY
Who do you want to win the Grand Final
morleys_deck
TODAY
Worst semi
Barstool Pre
TODAY
2025 TRANSFER AND RETENTION RUMOURS
Tony Fax
TODAY
Sam Burgess
morleys_deck
TODAY
Hull KR Survive Warrington Fightback To Secure Grand Final Spot
RLFANS News
TODAY
Squad 2025
Nat (Rugby_A
TODAY
Tonights match v HKR
Or thane
TODAY
Isa 1 year extension
Trainman
TODAY
2024 IMG gradings
Victor
TODAY
Championship Awards
FIL
TODAY
Season tickets
Ilkley Fax
TODAY
Best Semi
sir adrian m
TODAY
Ben Condon is a Leopard
Jack Gaskell
TODAY
Squads - Leopards v Warriors
Cokey
TODAY
Any decent RL reads for me hols
norbellini
TODAY
Championship Play Off Final
PopTart
TODAY
Man of Steel
matt_wire
TODAY
Guest appearance
AgbriggAmble
TODAY
Squad for HKR
MorePlaymake
NEWS ITEMS
VIEWS
Wigan Humiliate Leigh For Gran..
Hull KR Survive Warrington Fig..
Warrington Wolves Break Saints..
Leigh Leopards Make Play Off P..
Catalans Dragons Finish Sevent..
Hull KR Secure Second With Vic..
Wigan Seal League Leaders Trop..
Wakefield Trinity Sweep Aside ..
Catalans Keep Season Alive Wit..
Salford Ensure Play-Offs And S..
Ruthless Wigan Thrash the Rhin..
Huddersfield Giants Hold Off L..
Salford Close In On The Play O..
Leigh Leopards Up To Fourth Af..
Leeds Rhinos Into the Six Afte..
POSTSONLINEREGISTRATIONSRECORD
19.64M 2,622 80,13214,103
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.

When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
RLFANS Match Centre
 TODAY
     National Rugby League 2024-R31
09:30
Melbourne
v
Penrith
       League One 2024-R26
15:00
Keighley
v
Hunslet
       Championship 2024-R29
Bradford
v
Featherstone
     Womens Super League 2024-R16
16:30
York V
v
St.HelensW
 Sat 12th Oct
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R30
18:00
Hull KR
v
Wigan
 Sun 27th Oct
     Mens Internationals 2024-R2
14:30
England M
v
Samoa M
 Sat 2nd Nov
     Womens Internationals 2024-R2
12:00
ENGLAND W
v
WALES W
     Mens Internationals 2024-R3
England M
v
Samoa M
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)
Matches on TV
Sun 6th Oct
L1
Keighley-Hunslet
WSL2024
16:30
York V-St.HelensW
NRL
09:30
Melbourne-Penrith
Sat 12th Oct
SL
18:00
Hull KR-Wigan
Sun 27th Oct
MINT2024
England M-Samoa M
Sat 2nd Nov
MINT2024
England M-Samoa M
Sat 5th Oct
CH 29 York27-10Widnes
SL 29 Wigan38-0Leigh
Fri 4th Oct
SL 29 Hull KR10-8Warrington
Sun 29th Sep
L1 25 Rochdale26-46Hunslet
CH 28 Barrow24-26Widnes
CH 28 Bradford50-0Swinton
CH 28 Dewsbury28-8Sheffield
CH 28 Wakefield72-6Doncaster
CH 28 Whitehaven23-20Halifax
CH 28 York16-6Featherstone
Sat 28th Sep
CH 28 Toulouse64-16Batley
SL 28 Warrington23-22St.Helens
NRL 30 Penrith26-6Cronulla
Fri 27th Sep
SL 28 Salford6-14Leigh
NRL 30 Melbourne48-18Sydney
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Mens Betfred Super League XXVIII ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wigan 28 759 336 423 46
Hull KR 28 729 335 394 44
Warrington 29 769 351 418 42
Leigh 29 580 442 138 33
Salford 28 556 561 -5 32
St.Helens 28 618 411 207 30

Catalans 27 475 427 48 30
Leeds 27 530 488 42 28
Huddersfield 27 468 658 -190 20
Castleford 27 425 735 -310 15
Hull FC 27 328 894 -566 6
LondonB 27 317 916 -599 6
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Betfred Championship 2024 ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wakefield 26 1010 262 748 50
Toulouse 25 744 368 376 35
Bradford 26 678 387 291 34
York 28 682 479 203 32
Widnes 27 561 502 59 29
Featherstone 26 622 500 122 28

Sheffield 26 626 526 100 28
Doncaster 26 498 619 -121 25
Halifax 26 509 650 -141 22
Batley 26 422 591 -169 22