Player Coach5526
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2018Jan 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

1 Warrington 2 Hull 3 Wigan 4 Castleford 4 Castleford 5 St Helens 6 Leeds 7 Catalans 8 Hudedersfield 9 Widnes 10 Wakefield 11 Salford 12 Leigh Playoffs:Warrington Hull Wigan Castleford Four sides rejoining: Widnes Wakefield Salford Leigh GF Winners Warrington CC Winners Wigan:

Quote: William Eve "When was the last time any Australian pack was tired out by the England/GB pack after about 50 minutes or so? Isn't it usually the other way around? Do you really believe Burrow is a novel weapon to Australia?'"

I think we stand a better chance of that this time due to the number of Aussie based players we have at our disposal in the pack.
4 of the forwards fall into this category, 2 of whom are proven at international level backed up by the other 2 who play for one of the top 4 NRL sides & who are regulars in their pack particularly used as impact props. That is an area we've lacked in the past.
But our backs, talented as they are, suffer in comparison to the physicality of both the 'roos & the kiwis.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4938
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2018Mar 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
18261_1413138907.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_18261.jpg

Quote: El Diablo "I can't remember it happening. But if we're going to have an international game we've got to at least try to win the matches. Every game plan we've had in a match that counts against the Aussies in my years watching RL has failed. I don't think that means we should stop having game plans.

Yes, Burrow offers certain physical attributes that make him difficult to stop given the right kind of possession. Not unique, but still fairly novel. And certainly different to just picking a 2nd hooker that's basically "Roby Lite" in my opinion.'"

The last time we beat Australia with a novel game plan was in Melbourne in 1992. Unfortunately, we don't have any players equipped with the ability, the skill or the vision of a Garry Schofield to pull it off.

A hugely lopsided penalty count in England's favour along with a pack of forwards that can hold their own for more than 60 minutes is their only hope of pulling off a shock result. Insistence upon Aussie players having to wear authentic ball and chain accoutrements may also be deemed helpful to the cause.

I'm all for a game plan involving taking risks... that's why I'd have Hock on from the start.

Centres have me worried more than anything. Australia will rip them apart.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5526
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2018Jan 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

1 Warrington 2 Hull 3 Wigan 4 Castleford 4 Castleford 5 St Helens 6 Leeds 7 Catalans 8 Hudedersfield 9 Widnes 10 Wakefield 11 Salford 12 Leigh Playoffs:Warrington Hull Wigan Castleford Four sides rejoining: Widnes Wakefield Salford Leigh GF Winners Warrington CC Winners Wigan:

Quote: William Eve "The last time we beat Australia with a novel game plan was in Melbourne in 1992. Unfortunately, we don't have any players equipped with the ability, the skill or the vision of a Garry Schofield to pull it off.

A hugely lopsided penalty count in England's favour along with a pack of forwards that can hold their own for more than 60 minutes is their only hope of pulling off a shock result. Insistence upon Aussie players having to wear authentic ball and chain accoutrements may also be deemed helpful to the cause.

I'm all for a game plan involving taking risks... that's why I'd have Hock on from the start.

Centres have me worried more than anything. Australia will rip them apart.'"

For once I agree totally with you.
Subject to fitness, Inglis will be one & they could perm any one from half a dozen even discounting Jamie Lyon.
For my part I'd love to see Michael Jennings partner GI.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach12106No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2015Oct 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10393.jpg
OBN Wannabe:10393.jpg

Quote: William Eve "The last time we beat Australia with a novel game plan was in Melbourne in 1992. Unfortunately, we don't have any players equipped with the ability, the skill or the vision of a Garry Schofield to pull it off.

Given that we can't really pick the 1992 side, as I'm not sure many of them are match fit, we have to try to come up with a plan based on what we've got. Unless you think just throwing the towel in before the start is the best option? Doesn't do it for me I'm afraid.

I'd have Hock on, either from the start or off the bench. Again, he can offer something that none of our other players can (on the field I mean, to head off predictable quips).

I think Cudjoe and Watkins are the best centres we have at our disposal. I think they're both very good players. On paper they're probably out-gunned by their Aussie counterparts (I'll have to take the words of those of you who watch the NRL on that I'm afraid) but that's not a variable the coach can control. They're the best options we have.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4938
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2018Mar 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
18261_1413138907.jpg

Quote: Old Feller "I think we stand a better chance of that this time due to the number of Aussie based players we have at our disposal in the pack.'"

Possibly, but by no means guaranteed. James Graham wasn't as effective for the Bulldogs this season playing from the start. I'm loathe to advance the theory that our forwards can match theirs because it's been claimed ad nauseam for the past two decades and I've still to witness any evidence to support such claims.

Quote: Old Feller "I4 of the forwards fall into this category, 2 of whom are proven at international level backed up by the other 2 who play for one of the top 4 NRL sides & who are regulars in their pack particularly used as impact props. That is an area we've lacked in the past.'"

The two impact Burgii are being looked after at their club. There are several unsung non-Burgii heroes who are doing the essential pack work which tends to go unnoticed. I do wonder which England forwards shall be looking after them in the same way apart from Sam Bro?

Quote: Old Feller "But our backs, talented as they are, suffer in comparison to the physicality of both the 'roos & the kiwis.'"

Agree completely, and also in terms of skill and vision.

RankPostsTeam
International Star126No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 201311 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2023Oct 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

ALL WIGAN SUPPORTERS MUST 1. Wigan must not win a hard fought struggle in appalling conditions, nilling the opposition and scoring 16 points, because that makes for the worst CC Final of all time. 2. Wigan must not get to the final by nilling the opposition and scoring 70 points with a display of attacking rugby because that makes for the worst CC Semi Final of all time. 3. Wigan players must not consider winning the game but devote all their efforts to entertaining neutral fans. Just like all the other teams do... 4. Wigan fans must not mention winning the CC Final, as that is arrogant. 5. Wigan fans must not mention winning the Challenge Cup 19 times, or indeed any other Trophies, as that is very arrogant indeed. 6. Wigan fans must not attend actual games. It is now compulsory to stay at home, watch on TV and moan about how low attendances at games are.:

No truer word has been spoken.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4938
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2018Mar 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
18261_1413138907.jpg

Quote: Old Feller "For once I agree totally with you.
Subject to fitness, Inglis will be one & they could perm any one from half a dozen even discounting Jamie Lyon.
For my part I'd love to see Michael Jennings partner GI.'"

I'm think Lyon is retired from rep footy. He'd be a shoe-in otherwise. He's got better with age! I think it'll be Inglis and Jennings at centre. Wouldn't be surprised to see Taufua as one of the wingers.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5526
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2018Jan 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Since the modern game relies increasingly on physical prowess rather than subtlety & skill I fear that until we have an off season that matches that down under we will fall further & further behind our antipodean rivals.
The current proposals for the game over here - on the basis of my current understanding of them - will serve to accelerate our inferiority.
We need fewer higher intensity games to enthuse spectators not more mediocrity.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5526
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2018Jan 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Quote: William Eve "I'm think Lyon is retired from rep footy. He'd be a shoe-in otherwise. He's got better with age! I think it'll be Inglis and Jennings at centre. Wouldn't be surprised to see Taufua as one of the wingers.'"

We should try to bomb him to death if we ever get near enough to their 40 metre line to do this but our chase (not Chase) had better be good 7 in big enough numbers to stop him before he builds up a head of steam.
He's the new Marcus Bai but probably bigger, faster & with a better step!
The new improved Bai.

RankPostsTeam
International Star11412No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2021Jul 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

"The Golden Generation finally has its Golden Fleece! They have Wembley Cup Final winners medals to add to their collection." 23/08/2014:

Don't think we should try the 'Burrow off the bench' option.
I'd maybe try (in the group games) bringing Hardaker on at FB and pushing Tomkins up the halves in the 2nd half just like Leeds did with Harris & St Hilaire in the late 90's.

RankPostsTeam
Moderator31835
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
438_1551258406.jpg
"If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them," - Wayne Bennett.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_438.jpg

Burrow shouldn't get in the 17 IMO. If we're playing two hookers they should be Roby and McIlorum.

If we're to spring a surprise and beat the Aussies it means England need the game of their lives. We need to be very disciplined and make very few errors. I'm not sure SL has been the right stage for preparing some of the England players for the step up needed to beat Australia. Playing Hock is fair enough but he's good for some penalties and mistakes that will ease the pressure on the opposition. It's a gamble.

RankPostsTeam
International Star4239No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 201312 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

实事求是!:

England's defence outwide will let them down against australia. The forward pack can hold it's own, the backline is decent. But give australia 6 tackles in englands 30m zone and 7 times out of 10 they'll post points.

The last time I can recall england holding their own in defence against australia, in a game which wasn't a dead rubber for the aussies was the opening of the 2004 tri nations at the etihad, last min craig wing try.

If you think back over all the games against the aussies since then, the games we've done ok have been dead rubbers for the aussies, almost all the other games we've been exposed defensively.

RankPostsTeam
International Star4239No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 201312 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

实事求是!:

Quote: El Diablo "Given that we can't really pick the 1992 side, as I'm not sure many of them are match fit, we have to try to come up with a plan based on what we've got. Unless you think just throwing the towel in before the start is the best option? Doesn't do it for me I'm afraid.

I'd have Hock on, either from the start or off the bench. Again, he can offer something that none of our other players can (on the field I mean, to head off predictable quips).

I think Cudjoe and Watkins are the best centres we have at our disposal. I think they're both very good players. On paper they're probably out-gunned by their Aussie counterparts (I'll have to take the words of those of you who watch the NRL on that I'm afraid) but that's not a variable the coach can control. They're the best options we have.'"

I wouldn't have hock on at all. Too prone to brain farts. England literally can't afford any stupid offloads or penalties gifting the aussies position. People saying they need to ''give it a go'' that's the wrong way to play it IMO. If england try and open up in attack australia will smother it and shut it down. They'll pick out the runners and be up their s forcing errors. As soon as we start giving australia easy field position we are on a hiding to nothing. England need to go in with the mentality that australia aren't going to get any sets in our red zone throughout the entire game. Of course australia can score long range, no problem. But as soon as they get near our line it's like a sieve. That means we need to [irelentlessly[/iget up the field, put in decent kicks, chase well and give no penalties away. The least we can do is try and take it the distance. You stay within less than 6 points and you never know how the ball might bounce or if one of aussies [ihuman beings[/i (they aren't super human) cracks and comes up with an error.

A player like Hock is going to f*ck that up. He'll pull an offload out of nowhere taking us 30 metres further up the field. His next contributios will be to piggy back them up the field with a dumb penalty, which they most likely score from. Unfortunatly the good and bad don't cancel each other out because of how clinical australia are. Hocks good and bad combine to f*ck us over.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach12106No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2015Oct 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10393.jpg
OBN Wannabe:10393.jpg

Quote: FlexWheeler "I wouldn't have hock on at all. Too prone to brain farts. England literally can't afford any stupid offloads or penalties gifting the aussies position. People saying they need to ''give it a go'' that's the wrong way to play it IMO. If england try and open up in attack australia will smother it and shut it down. They'll pick out the runners and be up their s forcing errors. As soon as we start giving australia easy field position we are on a hiding to nothing. England need to go in with the mentality that australia aren't going to get any sets in our red zone throughout the entire game. Of course australia can score long range, no problem. But as soon as they get near our line it's like a sieve. That means we need to [irelentlessly[/iget up the field, put in decent kicks, chase well and give no penalties away. The least we can do is try and take it the distance. You stay within less than 6 points and you never know how the ball might bounce or if one of aussies [ihuman beings[/i (they aren't super human) cracks and comes up with an error.

A player like Hock is going to f*ck that up. He'll pull an offload out of nowhere taking us 30 metres further up the field. His next contributios will be to piggy back them up the field with a dumb penalty, which they most likely score from. Unfortunatly the good and bad don't cancel each other out because of how clinical australia are. Hocks good and bad combine to f*ck us over.'"

Try and stay with them. Keep it tight. Go the distance.

That's been the mantra since the early 90s and it's got us precisely nowhere. If we're going to lose I'd at least rather do it with a bit of a bang.

"On the day I day I'll say 'at least I f**king tried', that's the only eulogy I need."

Meh.

RankPostsTeam
International Star6848No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2023Jul 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
68072_1442575000.jpg
What you looking at?....Butt Head!!:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_68072.jpg

The main thing we need is to have fire from the first minute, show belief we can win and dont stand off them and show too much respect which is what we have done in recent times.We have Just tried to play it too safe and watch them to see what they have got, and by the time we find out exactly what they do have we are 20 points down and its game over.

Points people have made about our backs being inferior to theirs and us being exploited out wide are bang on but we do have more potential out there to bag points than in recent years if the game plan can be executed.Our pack again on paper looks more than a match but i too will reserve judgment on them until it starts proving it can mix it on the pitch.

239 posts in 17 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
239 posts in 17 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.15966796875:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Rumours thread
Dunkirk Spir
7m
Game - Song Titles
Boss Hog
9m