JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

If Hunslet get relegated will Leeds still use them to dual reg their squad?

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach24376
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
11400_1493633977.gif
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_11400.gif

never thought hood was good enough for a top side myself

RankPostsTeam
International Star244No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 201213 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2018Aug 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: chapylad "If Hunslet get relegated will Leeds still use them to dual reg their squad?'"

Yes.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member17230No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Nov 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
3043_1291817917.jpg
#frostiesbitches We know who you are.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_3043.jpg

Quote: MHL "yeah just ask brad singleton

the championship is clearly the most competitive league at the moment and is far more skilful then many people give it credit for. so the options are to develop in a tough league playing against grown men/seasoned (semi) pros or go to the likes of London & learn how to stand behind your own stick correctly...pretty easy choice for mine'"

Ask Brad Singleton what?

Singleton has been no different this year to what he was last year, or even the year before. All that playing at Hunslet as meant for him is that he is still at Leeds, rather than released as too old for academy. He should have been playing since last year. Had injuries not happened at Leeds he wouldn't be here next year.

Look at Keinhorst and Foster. Foster is better than Keinhorst at every facet of the game, far superior player. It's only since he broke into the first team that he was asked to play for Hunslet. His didn't need to go to Hunslet to prove himself. He needed super league game time, and luckily injuries allowed him to prove himself.

Duckworth with no Hunslet game time, as managed to force himself into the squad, whereas Chisolm with his Hunslet time doesn't get a sniff.

The Championshipn has 3 or 4 good sides, the rest are poor. Hunslet is one of the latter. Playing there does not give any platform for super league. Playing super league does that, and that is the only way to further develop potential stars. If Leeds and Wigan entered their under 19's in the championship they would be battling out for winning it.

I notice your point on Hood, and accept it. Accepted because it backs up what I am saying, the player has regressed at Hunslet. Had he been loaned to a super league side instead, whether he was up to it would have been learned in weeks rather than a season.

Dual registration can work if you use it for 16/17 year olds as a taster, with a clear then step to the odd super league game time. But only for the identified few, not all. If you haven't had a sniff by the time you are too old for super league, the simple fact is in the majority of cases, you are not going to be good enough. Leeds seem to be using it to retain players, rather than develop players.

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman18060No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2023Jun 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
icons077e_files/5454-3678dentheman-msnicons.jpg
Your job is to say to yourself on a job interview does the hiring manager likes me or not. If you aren't a particular manager's cup of tea, you haven't failed -- you've dodged a bullet.:icons077e_files/5454-3678dentheman-msnicons.jpg

Quote: Gotcha "Ask Brad Singleton what?

Singleton has been no different this year to what he was last year, or even the year before. All that playing at Hunslet as meant for him is that he is still at Leeds, rather than released as too old for academy. He should have been playing since last year. Had injuries not happened at Leeds he wouldn't be here next year.

Look at Keinhorst and Foster. Foster is better than Keinhorst at every facet of the game, far superior player. It's only since he broke into the first team that he was asked to play for Hunslet. His didn't need to go to Hunslet to prove himself. He needed super league game time, and luckily injuries allowed him to prove himself.

Duckworth with no Hunslet game time, as managed to force himself into the squad, whereas Chisolm with his Hunslet time doesn't get a sniff.

The Championshipn has 3 or 4 good sides, the rest are poor. Hunslet is one of the latter. Playing there does not give any platform for super league. Playing super league does that, and that is the only way to further develop potential stars. If Leeds and Wigan entered their under 19's in the championship they would be battling out for winning it.

I notice your point on Hood, and accept it. Accepted because it backs up what I am saying, the player has regressed at Hunslet. Had he been loaned to a super league side instead, whether he was up to it would have been learned in weeks rather than a season.

Dual registration can work if you use it for 16/17 year olds as a taster, with a clear then step to the odd super league game time. But only for the identified few, not all. If you haven't had a sniff by the time you are too old for super league, the simple fact is in the majority of cases, you are not going to be good enough. Leeds seem to be using it to retain players, rather than develop players.'"

Difficult to argue against that - If the championship was full of SL quality players we would see greater upward movement, especially given the limited availability of suitable quality through the amateur game and the NRL, the fact that this isn't happening would suggest the standards are not what is required to develop high quality SL youngsters. Would you want your best prospects being managed by the likes of Paul March, Barry Eaton, David Woods etc.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach9061
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200619 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
23603_1336678755.jpg
"Look, I'd never use injuries as an excuse..." Daryl Powell:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_23603.jpg

Quote: Gotcha "I notice your point on Hood, and accept it. Accepted because it backs up what I am saying, the player has regressed at Hunslet. Had he been loaned to a super league side instead, whether he was up to it would have been learned in weeks rather than a season.'"

Where do you get this notion that it took a season to figure out whether Hood was up to it?
Hetherington/McD clearly thought he wasn't at the start of the season (otherwise why loan him out to Hunslet?) and clearly don't think he is now.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1814No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Jun 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
26414.jpg
*Insert witty banter type comment*:26414.jpg

So the question is, who has been tapping him up?

RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Nov 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
3043_1291817917.jpg

Quote: Clearwing "Where do you get this notion that it took a season to figure out whether Hood was up to it?
Hetherington/McD clearly thought he wasn't at the start of the season (otherwise why loan him out to Hunslet?) and clearly don't think he is now.'"

Thought he wasn't up to it at start of season? so why not release him then then? why did they recall him at one stage, and say had he not got injured he would have been in? That doesn't sound like someone written off at start of season.

He was at Hunslet because other then first team at Leeds there was no where else for him to play at the club. He wasn't going to replace the first team regulars without injuries. So back to my point, the opportunity to prove whether he is up to it was at another super league club, not Hunslet.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach9061
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200619 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
23603_1336678755.jpg
"Look, I'd never use injuries as an excuse..." Daryl Powell:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_23603.jpg

Quote: Gotcha "Thought he wasn't up to it at start of season? so why not release him then then? why did they recall him at one stage, and say had he not got injured he would have been in? That doesn't sound like someone written off at start of season.

He was at Hunslet because other then first team at Leeds there was no where else for him to play at the club. He wasn't going to replace the first team regulars without injuries. So back to my point, the opportunity to prove whether he is up to it was at another super league club, not Hunslet.'"

How do you think it might go down at other SL clubs if Leeds were to talk up the abilities of sub-standard players to a point where another SL club ended up paying his wages only to find they'd been sold a pup? Might it not impact badly upon our future ability to farm out players, the likes of McShane, that the club genuinely felt were good enough for SL? Your opinion - and one to which you're entitled - might be that he is/was good enough for SL but that doesn't mean you're right. Be interesting to see which SL coaches deem him good enough now that he's effectively a free agent.

G1
RankPostsTeam
International Chairman32302No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2018Oct 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
982.jpg
[quote:1pqtnbtj]Every player in our squad could probably earn more money with another club. But they prefer to sacrifice a few extra quid in their back pocket to share special memories. And playing at a place like Old Trafford on a night like this makes it all worthwhile.[/quote:1pqtnbtj] Kevin Sinfield:982.jpg

Quote: Gotcha " So back to my point, the opportunity to prove whether he is up to it was at another super league club, not Hunslet.'"

Except that there is no evdince whatsoever that such an opportunity existed.

This is the issue Gotcha. You tend to over react to decisions like this massively and are always very quick to criticise the club. Generally speaking, you've been provien to be wrong and the club right over the last seven or so years. It's against this background that people tend to view your opinions in a negative manner, which is a shame because you sometimes (very rarely icon_wink.gif) have something of value to say which can get lost.

Liam Hood is a junior. In his few first team games I was reminded of Mick Shaw. Nippy and clever around the ruck, but not good at defence. He's been asked to drop down a level for game time as he wasn't deemed up to first team level. By all accounts he has been awful at Hunslet and now wants out. Compare and contrast with Keinhorst and Singleton who have both done well at Hunslet (Keinhorst in particular; a player who is making a decent fisr of being a super league pllayer despite you proclaiming he never would do). Both have both found paths back to 1st team rugby and, in Singleton's case, really seized the opprtunity.

I fail to see much to get excited about. A young player frustrated at his lack of opportunities, probably with a slightly self inflated opinion of his abilities, has expressed a desire to leave and Leeds seem comfortable with that. Meh.

RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Nov 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
3043_1291817917.jpg

Quote: G1 "Except that there is no evdince whatsoever that such an opportunity existed.

This is the issue Gotcha. You tend to over react to decisions like this massively and are always very quick to criticise the club. Generally speaking, you've been provien to be wrong and the club right over the last seven or so years. It's against this background that people tend to view your opinions in a negative manner, which is a shame because you sometimes (very rarely

I think you have misunderstood my critisism here.

I am not critisising the loss of Liam Hood. I had written off his chances earlier in sesason due to the path taken.

My critisism is in the use of the dual registration. Not even dual registration as a concept, but the way we are utilizing it. That is clear in the post on the other page.

If you want to pick any bits of that to dissagree with, then I have no problem with in defending.

By the way, there is verly limited occassions I have been proved wrong on anything I have put on here. It happens, we can't always be right, but not often.

G1
RankPostsTeam
International Chairman32302No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2018Oct 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
982.jpg
[quote:1pqtnbtj]Every player in our squad could probably earn more money with another club. But they prefer to sacrifice a few extra quid in their back pocket to share special memories. And playing at a place like Old Trafford on a night like this makes it all worthwhile.[/quote:1pqtnbtj] Kevin Sinfield:982.jpg

Quote: Gotcha "I think you have misunderstood my critisism here.

I am not critisising the loss of Liam Hood. I had written off his chances earlier in sesason due to the path taken.

My critisism is in the use of the dual registration. Not even dual registration as a concept, but the way we are utilizing it. That is clear in the post on the other page.

If you want to pick any bits of that to dissagree with, then I have no problem with in defending.

By the way, there is verly limited occassions I have been proved wrong on anything I have put on here. It happens, we can't always be right, but not often.'"

If I have misunderstood, I apologise.

My take on the dual reg is that it is not ideal but I understand the reasons behind it.

And YOU may not always be able to be right, but I always am. You would do well to remember that, as I opften remind the wife.

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman18060No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2023Jun 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
icons077e_files/5454-3678dentheman-msnicons.jpg
Your job is to say to yourself on a job interview does the hiring manager likes me or not. If you aren't a particular manager's cup of tea, you haven't failed -- you've dodged a bullet.:icons077e_files/5454-3678dentheman-msnicons.jpg

Quote: G1 "If I have misunderstood, I apologise.

My take on the dual reg is that it is not ideal but I understand the reasons behind it.

And YOU may not always be able to be right, but I always am. You would do well to remember that, as I opften remind the wife.'"

Is that what your psychiatrist has told you to believe!! I would check their qualifications icon_biggrin.gif

Hood has probably been over-hyped, and looking at the lack of demand from SL clubs suggests this is probably not far from the truth. The real question is how do you develop young players where first team opportunities are limited. The championship is average at the top level and appalling at the bottom, the standard of coaching is abysmal for the most part. Do we need a meaniful second grade competition for SL?

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman17134No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2020Aug 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
193.jpg
Northampton RL....details here: //www.northamptonrl.co.uk:193.jpg

Quote: Sal Paradise "Is that what your psychiatrist has told you to believe!! I would check their qualifications
I'm not sure it's really that bad Sal, and remember the players are still at their SL clubs for training too. Anyway, even if you're down on the standard of the Championship, you'd have to agree that it's a step up from the old U20s, which is what the players had prior to dual reg.

RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Nov 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
3043_1291817917.jpg

Quote: Sal Paradise "Is that what your psychiatrist has told you to believe!! I would check their qualifications

Let teams enter a reserve side in the championship, if they have the financial resource to do it.

149 posts in 11 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
149 posts in 11 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.41162109375:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Leigh it is
WWste
10m
Game - Song Titles
Wanderer
11m