JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2018Oct 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
982.jpg
[quote:1pqtnbtj]Every player in our squad could probably earn more money with another club. But they prefer to sacrifice a few extra quid in their back pocket to share special memories. And playing at a place like Old Trafford on a night like this makes it all worthwhile.[/quote:1pqtnbtj] Kevin Sinfield:982.jpg

Quote: FearTheVee "Struggling teams? You can hardly compare this Leeds team to the Wire squads and coaches Briers has had to cope with in the past!

Are you saying that Leeds couldn't have been any better organised by the halves against a team with 12 men for 70 minutes? Leeds played very dumb rugby for the vast majority of that game (IMO of course).'"

Even if you're right about him based upon Saturday's game are you basing your assessment on that game alone?

Maybe he and Leon are mirror images? Leon shines in the run of the mill games, the 50 nil shallockings of Salford and Wakey, whereas Dnny shines on the biggest stage whilst Leon gets hiddy?

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member11377
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2960.jpg
:2960.jpg

Quote: G1 "Even if you're right about him based upon Saturday's game are you basing your assessment on that game alone?

Maybe he and Leon are mirror images? Leon shines in the run of the mill games, the 50 nil shallockings of Salford and Wakey, whereas Dnny shines on the biggest stage whilst Leon gets hiddy?'"

Leon has won as many GF's as DM (including a Harry Sunderland against Leeds which DM hasn't picked up) and won 5 challenge cups to DM's 0 (including a Lance Todd). He's also played 6 when we've beaten Australia in their Sydney back yard.

Not sure why you would bring Leon into a discussion about Leeds looking disorganised against 12 men, but there you go.

G1
RankPostsTeam
International Chairman32302No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2018Oct 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
982.jpg
[quote:1pqtnbtj]Every player in our squad could probably earn more money with another club. But they prefer to sacrifice a few extra quid in their back pocket to share special memories. And playing at a place like Old Trafford on a night like this makes it all worthwhile.[/quote:1pqtnbtj] Kevin Sinfield:982.jpg

Quote: FearTheVee "Leon has won as many GF's as DM (including a Harry Sunderland against Leeds which DM hasn't picked up) and won 5 challenge cups to DM's 0 (including a Lance Todd). He's also played 6 when we've beaten Australia in their Sydney back yard.
'"

As I pointed out on the VT Leon won his HS playing on the wing, not stand off. Noble knew he didn't have the mettle to organise a team which is why he played him there giving him freedom to drift in and out of the game. It was also Noble's belief that Leon couldn't play 6 that led to him joining you.

Quote: FearTheVee "Not sure why you would bring Leon into a discussion about Leeds looking disorganised against 12 men, but there you go.'"
Not sure why you would base your opinion on McGuire solely on Saturday's game rather than the couple of hundred odd others but there you go.

RankPostsTeam
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2960.jpg

Quote: G1 "As I pointed out on the VT Leon won his HS playing on the wing, not stand off. Noble knew he didn't have the mettle to organise a team which is why he played him there giving him freedom to drift in and out of the game. It was also Noble's belief that Leon couldn't play 6 that led to him joining you.'"

Given Brian Noble picked him at 6 in a game GB won in Sydney, then moved him away from that position for the rest of the tournament (losses) - his opinion as to Leon's ability at 6 is questionable at best.

Quote: G1 "Not sure why you would base your opinion on McGuire solely on Saturday's game rather than the couple of hundred odd others but there you go.'"

I'm not basing my opinion on Saturday's game, it just highlighted the issue again. If you re-read my post - I actually said that if you swap McGuire OR Burrow for an organising half in that game, Leeds would win comfortably. Not just DM. Leeds played dumb rugby with little direction from half back - that's just my opinion.

DM is having a cracking season, and if you read any of my England team posts I have him in there at 6, I'm just saying that with a bit more structure Saturday would have been a cake walk.

G1
RankPostsTeam
International Chairman32302No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2018Oct 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
982.jpg

Quote: FearTheVee "
I'm not basing my opinion on Saturday's game, it just highlighted the issue again. If you re-read my post - I actually said that if you swap McGuire OR Burrow for an organising half in that game, Leeds would win comfortably. Not just DM. Leeds played dumb rugby with little direction from half back - that's just my opinion.
'"

OK, fair enough. My opinion was that, like last week, it was more to do with the forwards. Burrow and McGuire actually won that game for us. Burrow with his break that led to McGuire's try and his lovely cut out pass to Donald and McGuire with his two pieces of individual brilliance. They did it with little or no support from their forwards. As a result I don't think Briers would have made a jot of difference and, given he lacks the skills McGuire and Burrow do to break down a defence on their own, we may have actually lost.

Quote: FearTheVee "DM is having a cracking season, and if you read any of my England team posts I have him in there at 6, I'm just saying that with a bit more structure Saturday would have been a cake walk.'"
I think that is fair enough but I don't think the lack of structure is their fault. I think there's a coaching issue and a less dominant pack issue. We're in agreement about the effect but it would appear not the cause.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach488No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2016Oct 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

G1 -I agree.

How can you expect our half backs to perform and organise when the team was all over the place the forwards we had out look shattered and nobody was putting their hands up.Most points through out the game we had Hall and Smith running the ball in.

The half backs performed well under the circumstances if they had played behind a strong pack we would have ripped Hull apart.

RankPostsTeam
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2960.jpg

Quote: Man of steel 07 "G1 -I agree.

How can you expect our half backs to perform and organise when the team was all over the place the forwards we had out look shattered and nobody was putting their hands up.Most points through out the game we had Hall and Smith running the ball in.

The half backs performed well under the circumstances if they had played behind a strong pack we would have ripped Hull apart.'"

To be fair though, there have been similar issues earlier in the year with a strong pack - hence Leeds struggling to clinch 4th spot.

Anyway, was only my observation - I think Leeds are a top prop and an organising half away from being unbeatable in SL (and yes, I know you've done OK without them recently!! icon_biggrin.gif )

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2469No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2012Jun 2012LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

McGuire has made more rlerrorsrl than any other SL player this season.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach14181No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200520 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2024Feb 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
14338_1615904391.jpg
[url=https://imgbb.com/:262vlrc2][img:262vlrc2]https://i.ibb.co/wzj2Z3c/rsz-1bulldogsbanner.png[/img:262vlrc2][/url:262vlrc2]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_14338.jpg

Quote: Keith Swiftcorn "McGuire has made more rlerrorsrl than any other SL player this season.'"

To me that just shows how involved he's tried to get.

Funny how its that majority of the go to guys who are on that list too. Think that proves my point.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2469No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2012Jun 2012LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Harrigan "To me that just shows how involved he's tried to get.

Funny how its that majority of the go to guys who are on that list too. Think that proves my point.'"

The error-ridden elements of frailty in his natural game and style of play is multiplied to the n'th disastrous degree against the Aussies and Kiwis at international level against the world's best players, so it's hardly surprising he's often been one of the weakest links for England.

Tony Smith was correct in finally dropping him from the team, albeit way too late. He should have been axed after the World Cup.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach9061
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200619 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
23603_1336678755.jpg
"Look, I'd never use injuries as an excuse..." Daryl Powell:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_23603.jpg

Quote: Omar Little "To be fair Jesus is way overrated...can't pass, no pace, not enough go forward'"

Even more of a cross man than Brian Noble.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner260No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200421 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2023Jan 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
9236.jpg
A Rhino that has lived in Auckland NZ for +10 years now living in the "hotbed" of league - Switzerland A member of the Bluey & Amber Barmy Army (Lausanne Chapter):9236.jpg

Quote: Harrigan "Board index » engage Super League » Leeds Rhinos - southstander.comIt is currently Thu Sep 09, 2010 10

too many jokes...must resisit...can't...

tbh is catching was a bit poor...
should have retired the first time, the comeback from injury was a little unbelievable...
he was a great leader for the 12 other men...
sometimes he could perform miracles and save the day...
that beard, reminds me of the Vodafone Warriors, or JJB t'other season...
he was always popular when on water carrier duty...

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member7378
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2074_1714824298.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_2074.jpg

Quote: Keith Swiftcorn "McGuire has made more rlerrorsrl than any other SL player this season.'"

Indeed. As much as he's a great player for Leeds you can't afford to make regular errors against the Aussies and Kiwis and that is where McGuire has let himself down in the past. He's just too high risk to be first choice stand-off. Admittedly he's also had several good games for GB/England but I think in fairness that Tomkins offers more at international level (fewer errors, tougher with a similarly strong attacking game). Sorry if this upsets people but I think it is all too easy for Leeds fans to overlook McGuire's flaws.

Pryce is an interesting one. No doubt he has the ability and physical attributes to be the best player in SL, he's just too inconsistent.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2469No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2012Jun 2012LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Exeter Rhino "Indeed. As much as he's a great player for Leeds you can't afford to make regular errors against the Aussies and Kiwis and that is where McGuire has let himself down in the past. He's just too high risk to be first choice stand-off. Admittedly he's also had several good games for GB/England but I think in fairness that Tomkins offers more at international level (fewer errors, tougher with a similarly strong attacking game). Sorry if this upsets people but I think it is all too easy for Leeds fans to overlook McGuire's flaws.'"

Agreed. It's what happens in a GB or England shirt that concerns me and how players perform at that level.

It seems we're a dying breed. Fans these days seem to care more about what players have done in their particular clubs colours like Blue and Amber than what they've actually done (or more significantly, failed to do) in internationals. Sad really.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4934
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2022Dec 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
40515_1330766741.jpg
Don't worry about avoiding temptation. As you grow older, it will avoid you! - Winston Churchill:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_40515.jpg

Quote: "
OK, fair enough. My opinion was that, like last week, it was more to do with the forwards. Burrow and McGuire actually won that game for us. Burrow with his break that led to McGuire's try and his lovely cut out pass to Donald and McGuire with his two pieces of individual brilliance. They did it with little or no support from their forwards. As a result I don't think Briers would have made a jot of difference and, given he lacks the skills McGuire and Burrow do to break down a defence on their own, we may have actually lost.

I think that is fair enough but I don't think the lack of structure is their fault. I think there's a coaching issue and a less dominant pack issue. We're in agreement about the effect but it would appear not the cause.'"
]

Right on both points.

McGuire is the main reason we are in 4th spot and our victory against Hull was down to both our half backs who still turned it around despite our pack failing to master the depleted Hull forwards.

91 posts in 7 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
91 posts in 7 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.65966796875:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Film game
karetaker
2m
Championship Awards
FIL
9m