JoinedServiceReputation
May 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2024Apr 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
25511_1478008518.jpg
"Well, I think in Rugby League if you head butt someone there's normally some repercusions":d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_25511.jpg

Quote: tvoc "And apart from one notable performance in a JPT/RT Final at Central Park V St Helens in the mud and rain their first impression turned out to be fairly accurate in that regard. '"

You know I was thinking of that game as I was wrtiting. He ran exceptionaly well in that match, broke tackles and offloaded, a rarity. He had that little shuffle thing he did with his feet as he was taking the ball up. I suspect in these days of obsession with landing on knees and elbows to get a quick PTB he would have been well suited.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member22289
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200322 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Aug 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
4615.jpg
:4615.jpg

Roy Powell's standout performance in a Leeds shirt, where he did everything he always did but also a few things you weren't expecting.

A clear Man Of The Match performance which probably explains why they gave it to Paul Loughlin although in fairness he accounted for most of the St Helens points that day (all bar the Neil Holding drop goal) and judges notice that sort of flashy behaviour more.

Poor old Leeds, Garry Schofield, the thickness of a post, so near and yet so far.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach474No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2010Jun 2010LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: G1 "If Kirke every gets a sniff of an international jersey I will buy a Leeds carnegie season ticket.'"

I'll roll out your usual pathetic argument on this point.

Kirke has 3 GF winners rings...............................bwahbwahbwahbwah..............

Maybe only fits when you want to use it perhaps? icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif

G1
RankPostsTeam
International Chairman32302No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2018Oct 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
982.jpg
[quote:1pqtnbtj]Every player in our squad could probably earn more money with another club. But they prefer to sacrifice a few extra quid in their back pocket to share special memories. And playing at a place like Old Trafford on a night like this makes it all worthwhile.[/quote:1pqtnbtj] Kevin Sinfield:982.jpg

Quote: DHM "You know I was thinking of that game as I was wrtiting. He ran exceptionaly well in that match, broke tackles and offloaded, a rarity. He had that little shuffle thing he did with his feet as he was taking the ball up. I suspect in these days of obsession with landing on knees and elbows to get a quick PTB he would have been well suited.'"

I think people are under-estimating Roy's ability with ball. He was sensational going forward in the 1987-88 season. Somewhere in the loft I have a motivational video Phil Larder prepared for the 1988 tourists. It's about 90 seconds highlights from that season for each of the tourists with Labbi Siffre's "something inside so strong" as the sound track (the hairs on the back of neck are rising as I type). Some great runs on that video from Roy. If anyone has a scrumdown tape of a match at headingley against Widnes from 88 you can see a dummy and go from Roy that is so good the camera man even takes it.

I admit that after his collapse against Widnes the following season his offensive game suffered somewhat though, strangely, his defence remained spot on.

Whatever, Mal reilly rated him enough and he was right in the thick of a couple of legendary results for English rugby, most noticeably Sydney 1988 and Wembley 1990.

G1
RankPostsTeam
International Chairman32302No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2018Oct 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
982.jpg
[quote:1pqtnbtj]Every player in our squad could probably earn more money with another club. But they prefer to sacrifice a few extra quid in their back pocket to share special memories. And playing at a place like Old Trafford on a night like this makes it all worthwhile.[/quote:1pqtnbtj] Kevin Sinfield:982.jpg

Quote: The Magic Wand "I'll roll out your usual pathetic argument on this point.

Kirke has 3 GF winners rings...............................bwahbwahbwahbwah..............

Maybe only fits when you want to use it perhaps?
RankPostsTeam
Moderator31800
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
438_1551258406.jpg
"If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them," - Wayne Bennett.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_438.jpg

Powell was the reason Northern stopped up in 1991/92. He was Peter Fox's first signing which speaks for itself. He did the work of two Paul Medley's and I found would offload if he was sure of getting the ball away safely to someone in support.

Perhaps his early days at Leeds saw him play cautiously. I expect if he'd tried dodgy offloads he'd have been binned given the way Leeds treated players in the 80s.

As G1 states. Reilly took him on two tours down under and he played a major part in GB's improvement in the period 88-90. Anyone remember that 30m romp under the sticks in the 3rd test versus NZ in 1990?

Not sure how to bring the thread back on topic but I'd say that Powell, like Sykes is unappreciated by the fekkwits.

Sykes is a limited player, he's got defensive issues at centre but has been played at stand off. He's currently working his guts out trying to make a success of it. He's never going to be top class but he's an important part of our current team. He's going to be a relatively cheap player so re-signing him is a no brainer, especially as he's home grown. There may be better players OOC but I doubt we could afford them.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member10757No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2012Oct 2012LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
3061_1274273880.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_3061.jpg

Quote: Bullseye "Not sure how to bring the thread back on topic but I'd say that Powell, like Sykes is unappreciated by the fekkwits.'"

Whilst premature death and being a gent off the field might cloud memories I'm not sure Roy was ever unappreciated (barring old blokes in the Northstand).

I think he was applauded for everything he achieved but there was a feeling that he was physically capable of doing even more.

When there were comments made (I recall one from a Southstand wag after a Powell drive of "Great yard Roy, great yard"icon_wink.gif they were generally affectionate.

As for Sykes, he's no world beater but hes generally solid and is versatile, plus being home grown might very well count for alot in terms of team spirit.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member17230No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Nov 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
3043_1291817917.jpg
#frostiesbitches We know who you are.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_3043.jpg

Quote: Bullseye "Sykes is a limited player, he's got defensive issues at centre but has been played at stand off. He's currently working his guts out trying to make a success of it. He's never going to be top class but he's an important part of our current team. He's going to be a relatively cheap player so re-signing him is a no brainer, especially as he's home grown. There may be better players OOC but I doubt we could afford them.'"

Bradford have let go better players than Sykes in the last couple of years. He is far from cheap, if in comparison to others in the structure, and there is plenty of players in the Championship who would do a better job for you on cheaper wages, and English too.

So really I can't see any argument for why any club with ambitions for success would utilize a player as average as Sykes as one of it's main players. Of course that is assuming that the Bulls have any ambition.

Of course though, a Bradord fan will have seen far more of him to judge than any of us. I can only go on what we see from the media, or matches involving Leeds.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner28186No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2016Aug 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Transparent Backgrounds/Waldorf.gif
"As you travel through life don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things" - George Carlin [url:2cg5oc2o]http://twitter.com/AndyGilder[/url:2cg5oc2o] [url:2cg5oc2o]http://fromthewesternterrace.blogspot.co.uk[/url:2cg5oc2o] This week: Four keys to a Rhinos win in the WCC:Transparent Backgrounds/Waldorf.gif

Quote: Bullseye "As G1 states. Reilly took him on two tours down under and he played a major part in GB's improvement in the period 88-90. Anyone remember that 30m romp under the sticks in the 3rd test versus NZ in 1990?'"

IIRC played in every game on that 1990 tour, the only player to do so.

And that, for anyone who isn't old enough to remember, was when tours were proper tours, with midweek games inbetween the Test matches. Think it was something like 12 games in 6-7 weeks?

RankPostsTeam
Moderator31800
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
438_1551258406.jpg
"If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them," - Wayne Bennett.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_438.jpg

Quote: Gotcha "Bradford have let go better players than Sykes in the last couple of years. He is far from cheap, if in comparison to others in the structure, and there is plenty of players in the Championship who would do a better job for you on cheaper wages, and English too.

So really I can't see any argument for why any club with ambitions for success would utilize a player as average as Sykes as one of it's main players. Of course that is assuming that the Bulls have any ambition.

Of course though, a Bradord fan will have seen far more of him to judge than any of us. I can only go on what we see from the media, or matches involving Leeds.'"

Which backs have we let go since 2008 that are better than Sykes? Our outgoing players of any note were Jeffries, Tupou and Tadulala. Of those Jeffries was as infuriating and as inconsistent as Sykes at his worst. Tadulala was an out an out winger so doesn't bear comparison and Tupou? Well I don't even need to go into that one.

I'm interested in where you think Sykes comes in the Bulls wage structure. Given that it's pure speculation I'd say he's one of our higher earners in the backs but I doubt he's on a fortune. I'd say you know about as much as me on this point.

The Bulls are currently coping with a very difficult financial situation. Last I heard we were spending well below the cap (amongst the four lowest spenders in SL). It's not a case of lacking ambition, rather a case of spending what we can afford so that means we can't compete for top players. Given that situation it's obvious why Sykes was re-signed.

RankPostsTeam
Moderator31800
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
438_1551258406.jpg

Quote: Andy Gilder "IIRC played in every game on that 1990 tour, the only player to do so.

And that, for anyone who isn't old enough to remember, was when tours were proper tours, with midweek games inbetween the Test matches. Think it was something like 12 games in 6-7 weeks?'"

I have a DVD featuring the all the games from that tour. These weren't exhibition matches either. GB's game versus Auckland was a running battle from start to finish. It also includes a rather hirsute Bluey McLennan at stand off for Auckland getting stuck into the biff.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner610No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2022Mar 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Sent back through time to rid the world of bovine related sports teams:

Quote: Bullseye "Powell was the reason Northern stopped up in 1991/92. He was Peter Fox's first signing which speaks for itself. He did the work of two Paul Medley's and I found would offload if he was sure of getting the ball away safely to someone in support.

Perhaps his early days at Leeds saw him play cautiously. I expect if he'd tried dodgy offloads he'd have been binned given the way Leeds treated players in the 80s.

As G1 states. Reilly took him on two tours down under and he played a major part in GB's improvement in the period 88-90. Anyone remember that 30m romp under the sticks in the 3rd test versus NZ in 1990?

Not sure how to bring the thread back on topic but I'd say that Powell, like Sykes is unappreciated by the fekkwits.

Sykes is a limited player, he's got defensive issues at centre but has been played at stand off. He's currently working his guts out trying to make a success of it. He's never going to be top class but he's an important part of our current team. He's going to be a relatively cheap player so re-signing him is a no brainer, especially as he's home grown. There may be better players OOC but I doubt we could afford them.'"

What he said, except to say that Roy Powell was much admired by Jack Gibson. Now if Big Jack said "the boy done good", I'll take that opinion over anybody on this, or any other forum for that matter.

As for Kirke, he lacks punch and he's never going to set the world on fire. However, if things were different, we wouldn't need players like Eastwood and we probably wouldn't be able to afford to keep him. He is what he is, a good squad player, who can do a job. So why be so negative about him?

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member22289
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200322 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Aug 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
4615.jpg
:4615.jpg

Quote: Andy Gilder "IIRC played in every game on that 1990 tour, the only player to do so. '"

And did all the ironing for the squad as well.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach12310
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2023Feb 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
28396_1358365565.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_28396.jpg

Quote: Gotcha " and there is plenty of players in the Championship who would do a better job for you on cheaper wages, and English too.

'"

That really is exaggerating it a bit.

There isn't plenty of players in the championship who would do a better job than Paul Sykes. Lower wages, yes. Better, I bet theres not "plenty"

84 posts in 7 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
84 posts in 7 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.3671875:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
ALL NEW 49ERS ERA LEEDS UTD THREAD
tad rhino
FORUM
LAST
VIEW
TOPIC