FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

FORUMS > Leeds Rhinos > George Carmonts vicious assault!!!!
56 posts in 5 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach3224
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2018May 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
17505_1301920246.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_17505.jpg

It certainly was strange that SKy went from "lets run the incident"....to a very abrute halt just at the crucial frame which left Wiggy floundering a bit.

My initial reaction was WTF?.... but I guess as there were still a sizeable number of fans still in the ground, and able to view the big screen, that if such a stamping incident had occurred, common sense would dictate that showing it could cause a riot.

It'll all come out in the wash anyway.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner610No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2022Mar 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Sent back through time to rid the world of bovine related sports teams:

Whilst not condoning what McGuire did, that type of foul happens in almost every game and largely goes unnoticed. Coley on McGuire at Headingley?
I suppose in this instance a little bit of rough justice has been served, which, considering McGuire's overall contribution to the game, is unfortunate.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member17230No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Nov 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
3043_1291817917.jpg
#frostiesbitches We know who you are.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_3043.jpg

Quote: tvoc "The coverage did end rather abruptly.

I hope nothing untoward did happen after Riddell had run all that way to check if McGuire was alright. I've never seen him shift that fast.'"

I was too busy watching the ref at the point to see what happened. But there was a lot of booing down below us and screaming at the Wigan player who had gone over, as though something happened after. Maybe that is where McClennan is coming from.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4259
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2020Feb 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
33791.jpg
[b:1swa1vwo]Change is inevitable ...except from a vending machine![/b:1swa1vwo] [quote="BillyRhino":1swa1vwo]So in best IA mode ..<.Possibley World Class, could be the greatest thing since sliced bread....am personally very excited, and confidently expect him to prove my predictions are bang on target.... Alternatively he could be rubbish> IA mode off. :wink:[/quote:1swa1vwo]:33791.jpg

Bluey is reasonably switched on and generally not quick to apportion any blame or make rash post match interview comments. I suspect that something has been said in the dressing room by Danny or some of the other players but it could be that Bluey only got half and they were just complaining about Riddell running over to an injured McGuire. If something has gone on after, then Riddell is going to find himself in all heaps of trouble! I was there and didn't see anything but all eyes were on Alibert!

The vitriol coming from many a Wigan poster and tweeter over the McGuire incident, wishing him injured and so forth, I am very disappointed in. McGuire took Carmont out, plain and simple, it is a penalty and without doubt 10 mins in the bin and even though Danny had left the pitch injured Alibert should still have had the bottle to show him yellow for the record. He did it out of nothing more than passion, mixed with desperation and here is the bit many of the Wigan (so called fans!) are missing, do they really, really think that many a Wigan player would not have done exactly the same thing, if that incident was the other way around? I would have bet my house that both of the Tomkins brothers would have and a whole host of other players on both the Wigan and Leeds sides!

Any Wigan fan that thinks that would have not happened if the boot was on the other foot was kidding themselves and are clearly deluded!

G1
RankPostsTeam
International Chairman32302No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2018Oct 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
982.jpg
[quote:1pqtnbtj]Every player in our squad could probably earn more money with another club. But they prefer to sacrifice a few extra quid in their back pocket to share special memories. And playing at a place like Old Trafford on a night like this makes it all worthwhile.[/quote:1pqtnbtj] Kevin Sinfield:982.jpg

What most fans are missing is that Alibert didn't actually penalise McGuire, he penalised Donald.

It was a farcical end to the game from the hapless officials. The sequence being that Alibert didn't see McGuire hold back Carmont but was happy there was no offence from Donald. The TJ then comes on and says Donald was late Alibert says he is happy Donald wasn't late then the "eye in the sky" has a word in Halibuts ear and tells him about the McGuire incident.

After minutes of looking clueless with no idea what to do Alibert penalises the Donald incident he had already ruled upon as being fair, thus giving Richards an extra ten yards for the kick at goal,

Very badly handled by Alibert.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach296No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2011Aug 2011LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

From what I remember, McClennan mentioned in the interview it was Leuluai who caused the injury. Could be wrong though

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach29590
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10919_1322084665.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_10919.jpg

Quote: Acorn Torn "From what I remember, McClennan mentioned in the interview it was Leuluai who caused the injury. Could be wrong though'"

Both McLennan and Eddie Hemmings got the wrong man standing over McGuire because it was Riddell. Eddie Hemmings said it was Sam Tomkins and McLennan thought it was Leuluai.

Either way McGuire was injured in the act of bringing down Carmont.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member17230No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Nov 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
3043_1291817917.jpg
#frostiesbitches We know who you are.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_3043.jpg

Quote: NickyKiss "Either way McGuire was injured in the act of bringing down Carmont.'"

Not proven yet. Hence why Bluey has asked the match commissioner to review what happened.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach19234No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2016Feb 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
35376_1277564281.gif
[img:35s0tdes]http://i84.servimg.com/u/f84/12/34/74/45/lr200913.gif[/img:35s0tdes]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_35376.gif

Quote: G1 "What most fans are missing is that Alibert didn't actually penalise McGuire, he penalised Donald.

It was a farcical end to the game from the hapless officials. The sequence being that Alibert didn't see McGuire hold back Carmont but was happy there was no offence from Donald. The TJ then comes on and says Donald was late Alibert says he is happy Donald wasn't late then the "eye in the sky" has a word in Halibuts ear and tells him about the McGuire incident.

After minutes of looking clueless with no idea what to do Alibert penalises the Donald incident he had already ruled upon as being fair, thus giving Richards an extra ten yards for the kick at goal,

Very badly handled by Alibert.'"

Agree 100% and even then Richards did'nt take the kick from the right place.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4259
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2020Feb 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
33791.jpg
[b:1swa1vwo]Change is inevitable ...except from a vending machine![/b:1swa1vwo] [quote="BillyRhino":1swa1vwo]So in best IA mode ..<.Possibley World Class, could be the greatest thing since sliced bread....am personally very excited, and confidently expect him to prove my predictions are bang on target.... Alternatively he could be rubbish> IA mode off. :wink:[/quote:1swa1vwo]:33791.jpg

Quote: G1 "What most fans are missing is that Alibert didn't actually penalise McGuire, he penalised Donald.

Very badly handled by Alibert.'"

Spot on mate, and it brings us back to the issue of clarification on the exact role and responsibilities of the video ref!

Uncle Albert's problem is that he has no authority and is very easy to change his mind and crowds are getting to know this! I think he got the Donald call on Richards spot on first time, even in slow-mo Donald clearly does not see the ball getting kicked by Richards as his head down and he is quite rightly just looking to make the tackle. Richards knows he is in trouble and that Donald is very likely to take him in to touch... that is why he bloody kicked the ball in the first place!!!

The touch judge should have been waved away (in respect of this incident) and Alibert should have had the balls to stick with his original and correct decision IMO on the Donald/Richards incident full stop!

The issue of Alibert and Bentham is the one that interests me most because I don't think that the touch judge saw it so how did Bentham get involved? If Alibert asked Bentham to look at something in back play because Wigan players were protesting, fair enough, but it looks like Bentham is just chiming in on the basis of the replays that Sky were generally showing. If Alibert asked Bentham why did Bentham not then get a 'formal' video replay from Sky? I think both Alibert & Bentham were crapping themselves over a reverse Millennium Magic type incident and in doing do did the things that we were told they couldn't do in the future.

It was a penalty and a yellow card (which should have come, even if he was injured) to McGuire but it was 20 metres further back and even Cummins will know that when he looks at the video! Alibert is very, very poor under pressure!

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner7631No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2018Jul 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
6016_1402401129.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_6016.jpg

Quote: Gotcha "Not proven yet. Hence why Bluey has asked the match commissioner to review what happened.'"

I think he was definitely injured in bringing Carmont down, if something happened after that is another incident.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach7631
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
17555_1637667680.png
Wigan RLFC:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_17555.png

I think Donald was committed to the tackle on Richards, but we should have recieved a penalty for the McGuire challenge, and from that position I think we'd have kicked for touch and tried a last gasp drop goal attempt.

And for anyone who thinks the refs are biased towards Wigan...

Leeds player committed to tackle - penalty to Wigan.

Wigan player committed to challenge in cup - Sin bin.
Wigan player tackles Leeds player with ball - Sin bin.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach19234No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2016Feb 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
35376_1277564281.gif
[img:35s0tdes]http://i84.servimg.com/u/f84/12/34/74/45/lr200913.gif[/img:35s0tdes]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_35376.gif

Quote: V For Vendetta "I think Donald was committed to the tackle on Richards, but we should have recieved a penalty for the McGuire challenge, and from that position I think we'd have kicked for touch and tried a last gasp drop goal attempt.

Wigan player tackles Leeds player with ball - Sin bin.'"

You do know that taking a kicker out late AND high whilst making no attempt at the ball is an automatic yellow don't you? icon_stupid.gif

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4259
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2020Feb 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
33791.jpg

Quote: V For Vendetta "I think Donald was committed to the tackle on Richards, but we should have recieved a penalty for the McGuire challenge, and from that position I think we'd have kicked for touch and tried a last gasp drop goal attempt.

Wigan player tackles Leeds player with ball - Sin bin.'"

It indeed should have been a penalty further back and on one of your other two comments re the CC game I also agree, you were very hard done by and it was a poor call.

But that is how it goes, had Richards kicked the penalty that he was lucky to get at the point he did and not 20 metres further back, then we would have been even more upset. Opinions are opinions and we all have them!

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member22289
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200322 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Aug 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
4615.jpg
:4615.jpg

Alibert puts his hand to his earpiece and says 'Phi' before he can get the name out Bentham is instructing him of the decision. 'Tackle late ..... where?' asks Alibert.

The fact Bentham instructs Alibert precisely to the point the kick is to be taken from proves he was ruling on the Donald obstruction on Richards (which ironically Alibert had got right IMO before being talked out of it.)

Earlier in the game after the Sinfield challenge on Fielden (nice to see Stuey still throwing the ball away in order to fight, old habits obviously die hard) Alibert had asked Bentham for the mark for the penalty.

I think Alibert was going to ask Bentham either way and I suspect most, if not all referees, would have done the same.

Quote: Inflatable_Armadillo "But that is how it goes, had Richards kicked the penalty that he was lucky to get at the point he did and not 20 metres further back, then we would have been even more upset. Opinions are opinions and we all have them!'"

One or two offences doesn't really matter. I doubt there is a rule that says in such an instance the referee has to go back to the first one, he's going to give the penalty to the best advantage of the non offending team and I have no problem with that. I agree that Donald's challenge was never a penalty but that's not how the linesman or the video referee saw it.

The decision that got me was when Leeds conceded a drop out when the Wigan player clearly knocked the ball forward first. The video referee could and should have been consulted then, IMO.

56 posts in 5 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
56 posts in 5 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.11962890625:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Salford H
DSJ1983
Recent
Game - Song Titles
Wanderer
Recent