JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2011Aug 2011LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
19366.jpg
[size=150:3ry57yd4]Hold up homie. If you're feeling froggy, Jump![/size:3ry57yd4]:19366.jpg

webbs been poor since he had Gary over a barrel on his first big contract extension. The fact that Smith was out performing him in the FB role back in 2k8 and his poor to average form since I was amazed he got another deal when he have a better FB in BJB. He has 2 or 3 good games a year and cruises along the rest. We signed Brent Webb the international full back dangerous on kick returns a game changer. He's now paycheck "can't beat a man" Brent the 2nd/3rd best full back at Leeds.

When does Webb EVER beat the first man on a kick return?
When does he come up big in defence? That rangi no tackle was like watching soft cock Scott Donald.
How many penalities does he give away??

About the only thing he is good for is being a useful pair of hands in the final 3rd*

If we want to be great again we have to ask ourselves would xyz player walk into a top teams side? If the answer is no then he isnt good enough. In Webbs case he isnt even the best FB in our team. Let him cruise out his days at Salford or Bradford give the duites to BJB/Smith and spend the moeny elsewhere imo.

*when he isnt passing a mile forrrwarrrrd

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member7378
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2074_1714824298.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_2074.jpg

Quote: LeedsPokerGuru "webbs been poor since he had Gary over a barrel on his first big contract extension. The fact that Smith was out performing him in the FB role back in 2k8 and his poor to average form since I was amazed he got another deal when he have a better FB in BJB. He has 2 or 3 good games a year and cruises along the rest. We signed Brent Webb the international full back dangerous on kick returns a game changer. He's now paycheck "can't beat a man" Brent the 2nd/3rd best full back at Leeds.
'"

This is inaccurate. Webb's performances in the last couple of years have nothing to do with him getting a good contract deal. Have you forgotten the serious back injury he sustained before the 2008 GF? He's never been the same as a player since - he's lost most of his former physicality in the tackle and at least a yard of pace as well. I'd hoped he would get over this injury but it doesn't look like happening now.

G1
RankPostsTeam
International Chairman32302No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2018Oct 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
982.jpg
[quote:1pqtnbtj]Every player in our squad could probably earn more money with another club. But they prefer to sacrifice a few extra quid in their back pocket to share special memories. And playing at a place like Old Trafford on a night like this makes it all worthwhile.[/quote:1pqtnbtj] Kevin Sinfield:982.jpg

I'm not gutted in the slightest. It makes perfect sense. He's been one of our better players this year. 1 more year to develop BJB and give us some experience in what will be a very inexperienced threequarter line. Also one of our more creative "halves".

And I would give him no more than 10% blame for the Chase try.

15% goes to BJB for not scoring on the previous break. He should have. It was a 12 point turnaround and because Cas hit us straight away a couple of tackles later Clarkson was still blowing out of his arris. And Clarkson gets 75% of the blame. None goes to Sinfield. He didn't take Chase's dummy, he slide out to the attacker he was meant to take. His job is not to slide in whilst everyone else slides out.

In fact, why are we apportioning blame? It was just a great read and spot by Chase and a great finish. To emphasize the point I make about BJB, compare Chase's finish on the outside with much less room, btw.

RankPostsTeam
International Star2342No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2011Dec 2011LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
53248_1287743010.gif
[quote="Harrigan":2spn4cnp]Is there an off switch on Remarkable_Rhino?[/quote:2spn4cnp] [quote="Swarcliffe Rhino":2spn4cnp]No.[/quote:2spn4cnp] [quote="G1":2spn4cnp]Remarkable Rhino posts something that makes sense shocker![/quote:2spn4cnp]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_53248.gif

Quote: G1 "I'm not gutted in the slightest. It makes perfect sense. He's been one of our better players this year. 1 more year to develop BJB and give us some experience in what will be a very inexperienced threequarter line. Also one of our more creative "halves".

And I would give him no more than 10% blame for the Chase try.

15% goes to BJB for not scoring on the previous break. He should have. It was a 12 point turnaround and because Cas hit us straight away a couple of tackles later Clarkson was still blowing out of his arris. And Clarkson gets 75% of the blame. None goes to Sinfield. He didn't take Chase's dummy, he slide out to the attacker he was meant to take. His job is not to slide in whilst everyone else slides out.

In fact, why are we apportioning blame? It was just a great read and spot by Chase and a great finish. To emphasize the point I make about BJB, compare Chase's finish on the outside with much less room, btw.'"

Give over! Clarkson was partly at fault but not 75%! A player of his experience (i.e. not much) and given that he's not exactly the quickest on his feet to get stepped by Chase isn't exactly critical.

Webb should've known better. He should've at least made an attempt to tackle him instead of running backwards and pointing to try and make it look like everyone else was at fault.

Webb's time is up. It would've been a tough call and not one without a tear in the eye after his great service to the club (very similar to the call that's just been made about Ali) but a call that needed to be made nonetheless. We will regret having him in our squad, making mistakes, holding back the youngsters and contributing to cap space next season.

G1
RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2018Oct 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
982.jpg
[quote:1pqtnbtj]Every player in our squad could probably earn more money with another club. But they prefer to sacrifice a few extra quid in their back pocket to share special memories. And playing at a place like Old Trafford on a night like this makes it all worthwhile.[/quote:1pqtnbtj] Kevin Sinfield:982.jpg

Quote: Remarkable_Rhinos "Give over! '"

What, disagreeing with you? Never!

Quote: Remarkable_Rhinos "Clarkson was partly at fault but not 75%! A player of his experience (i.e. not much) and given that he's not exactly the quickest on his feet to get stepped by Chase isn't exactly critical. '"
He wasn't stepped. He was taken on the outside because he made a lazy retreat back to the line. He was blowing because of BJBs break that he failed to finish.

There's a lot of reason's that try was scored and they didn't just start when Chase beat Webb to the corner.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member28186No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200322 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2016Aug 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Transparent Backgrounds/Waldorf.gif
"As you travel through life don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things" - George Carlin [url:2cg5oc2o]http://twitter.com/AndyGilder[/url:2cg5oc2o] [url:2cg5oc2o]http://fromthewesternterrace.blogspot.co.uk[/url:2cg5oc2o] This week: Four keys to a Rhinos win in the WCC:Transparent Backgrounds/Waldorf.gif

Quote: Remarkable_Rhinos "Give over! Clarkson was partly at fault but not 75%! A player of his experience (i.e. not much) and given that he's not exactly the quickest on his feet to get stepped by Chase isn't exactly critical. '"

The "blame" with Clarkson is for not getting back and set in the defensive line quickly enough after being involved in the tackle. That's what put him off balance and allowed Chase to get around him so easily.

RankPostsTeam
International Star2342No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2011Dec 2011LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
53248_1287743010.gif
[quote="Harrigan":2spn4cnp]Is there an off switch on Remarkable_Rhino?[/quote:2spn4cnp] [quote="Swarcliffe Rhino":2spn4cnp]No.[/quote:2spn4cnp] [quote="G1":2spn4cnp]Remarkable Rhino posts something that makes sense shocker![/quote:2spn4cnp]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_53248.gif

Quote: G1 "
There's a lot of reason's that try was scored and they didn't just start when Chase beat Webb to the corner.'"

I appreciate it didn't start when Chase beat Webb to the corner, and that other players were at fault (including BJB, Clarkson etc) for Chase getting to the corner in the first place.

All I'm saying is that, once Chase had GOT to the corner, it is well within Webb's (at his best) skill set to have been able to tackle him. Comfortably. And he didn't. Because he is long since past his best. And yet we've renewed his contract.

RankPostsTeam
International Star489
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2019May 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
52459_1283239015.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_52459.jpg

Quote: Remarkable_Rhinos "I appreciate it didn't start when Chase beat Webb to the corner, and that other players were at fault (including BJB, Clarkson etc) for Chase getting to the corner in the first place.

All I'm saying is that, once Chase had GOT to the corner, it is well within Webb's (at his best) skill set to have been able to tackle him. Comfortably. And he didn't. Because he is long since past his best. And yet we've renewed his contract.'"

Let's face it. It's not the first time this season that Webb could have tackled someone to save a try and has inexplicably either made a poor effort, or not bothered.

G1
RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2018Oct 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
982.jpg

Quote: Remarkable_Rhinos "
All I'm saying is that, once Chase had GOT to the corner, it is well within Webb's (at his best) skill set to have been able to tackle him. Comfortably. And he didn't. Because he is long since past his best. And yet we've renewed his contract.'"
He did tackle him, just as he got to the line. Webb had the devils own job once he'd broken through. He had inside support. The next inside Leeds defender was Ryan Bailey. Yes Ryan bailey.

It was just an excellent finish. I am in no way critical of Webb foir his defence on that play. You are. I am glad we've re-signed Webb/ You are not. We'll just have to agree to disagree.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner18298
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Jan 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
5869_1278015515.jpeg
[url=http://twitter.com/#!/GavWilson:3pk7rwm1]@GavWilson[/url:3pk7rwm1]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_5869.jpeg

If BJB gets the No. 1 squad number next year and Webb is used as cover, then fair enough.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach322
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2022Jul 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Surely, as Full Back, Webb has to force Chase into making a play rather than standing off him and letting him dictate. In the collision there is a lot more scope to break up the play.

In my opinion BJB has good experience and by the start of next season he will have seen even more of Super League, he needs to be first choice full back.

Webb as cover? How much of our salary cap is he going to take up though?? If it has been negotiated at a lesser rate then perhaps.

RankPostsTeam
International Star2342No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2011Dec 2011LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
53248_1287743010.gif

Quote: Wheels "If BJB gets the No. 1 squad number next year and Webb is used as cover, then fair enough.'"

Agreed. We both know that isn't going to happen.

Quote: Wheels "Surely, as Full Back, Webb has to force Chase into making a play rather than standing off him and letting him dictate. In the collision there is a lot more scope to break up the play.

In my opinion BJB has good experience and by the start of next season he will have seen even more of Super League, he needs to be first choice full back.

Webb as cover? How much of our salary cap is he going to take up though?? If it has been negotiated at a lesser rate then perhaps.'"

Yep. My point exactly. He could've/should've done a whole lot more given he was at one time the best FB in the league. Running backwards and pointing is just like making his excuses before he's even made the mistake. Nobody would've blamed him for attempting the tackle and getting stepped, dummied, whatever. Just watching Chase run around him however... not good enough.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach322
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2022Jul 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

The more I consider him re-signing the more I don't like the decision. He has done some special things, but has stood out very little this year. He will clearly be first choice again next year.

RankPostsTeam
International Star489
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2019May 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
52459_1283239015.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_52459.jpg

Quote: LocalSuperhero "Webb as cover? How much of our salary cap is he going to take up though?? If it has been negotiated at a lesser rate then perhaps.'"

To be honest, this is exactly what I don't want decision makers thinking. I couldn't care less how much we're paying any player to sit in the stands if they're not performing on the field. I'd prefer to drop any player that has strung together a series of poor performances if we have adequate cover.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach322
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2022Jul 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

I agree, but they have taken him on another contract. I would like to see BJB given the reins at full back and I can't see that happening with Webb at the club. It's a shame cos he has been so good in the past, but time to move on for me.

49 posts in 4 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
49 posts in 4 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.0419921875:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Who do you want to win the Grand Final
ChampagneSup
11m
BORED The Band Name Game
Cokey
22m