FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

FORUMS > Leeds Rhinos > RD 5 | Huddersfield Giants (A)
433 posts in 30 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain3206No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 20178 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: doc-rhino "with disrespect to salford we had ne game to win and made a good job of it but it doesn't detract from having a substandard squad'"

There are only 2 trophies to win each year. Winning one of them is an achievement no matter how it's dressed down....

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1488No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jun 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Marty Grrrrrrrrrr! "Serious question Doc. If youre so down on the club, team, squad and coaching staff why do you watch them? You cant enjoy it.

Theres a lot more positive stuff at the club than you seem to see.

I get that being a fan is about highs and lows, rough and stuff, but its also a pastime and should be something you look forward to and enjoy. You cant possibly enjoy it.

Im not knocking you, your entitled to your opinion and i cant argue with some of it but jeez your negative. Whats your motivation for watching?'"

ok being serious had a season ticket most of 40 years and yes look forward to going again . No coach can get it right all the time. Smith peaked mid 2005 entertainment wise . macd was aided 2015 by the maverickness of cuthbo , Agar see as a stopgap as he probably did himself but he's limited with what's at his disposal If we haven't the resources to get the same quality due to the rebuild so be it was good while it lasted (though the ss a fraction of what it was atmosphere wise ) .... with yourself seemed a bit of false prophetness of quality coming through and christopher's glass always 99% full too easy to argue against .. And yes one of biggest slow burners roy powell r.i.p i stuck up for over many games and wish was wrong about some of the new ones not keeping their places as would keep some of the average out

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member11421
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
cartoons/WB153.gif
I'm not a pheasant plucker, i'm a pheasant pluckers son and i'm only plucking pheasants till the pheasant plucker comes.:cartoons/WB153.gif

Quote: doc-rhino "how many would have got in any of the title winning sides ?'"
Several but those teams didn't come overnight they were built. Just as we are doing now with the senior and promising younger players. It's only two years ago we nearly were regulated. You need to have a little more patience.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain3615
JoinedServiceReputation
May 20168 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2022May 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: doc-rhino "with disrespect to salford we had ne game to win and made a good job of it but it doesn't detract from having a substandard squad'"

Yeah same in 99 we only beat London Broncos in final so doesnt really count i suppose? Graham Murray got so lucky and playing against Tulsen Tollett and co really made an average Iestyn look better than he was. Rest of clubs couldnt be bothered and let us get to Wembley anyway.

Graham Murray pffft total stop gap. Only ever won 1 trophy. How many of that 99 team wouldve got a game in 1910 Cup winning team?

Saints havent won cup since 2008 yet its such an easy trophy to win. Doesnt add up really

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain4719
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 20186 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
77264_1540382825.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_77264.jpg

It's the catalyst signings we're missing. Leeds have built success in recent memory from a nucleus of home-developed talent, and that's an even more necessary strategy now than ever it was, due to difficulties in signing NRL players now.

However we had Senior, McDermott, Harris, Ellis, Peacock all signed from other clubs and all who were fantastic for Leeds. I'd say each of them had the best years of their career with us too, possibly excepting Ellis who kicked on another level in the NRL I think.

If we want to be top of the table again, we're going to have to have the best squad in Super League. It's not rocket science, we need the best players. Our systems and supports might be very good, but they're icing on the cake not cake itself.

Honestly we need to clear a little dead wood and push on again with 2-3 first grade quality signings. With the youth talent we have, why on Earth sign any new player unless they are capable of playing in and winning a GF with us?

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach15864No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Oct 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10145_1279728778.png
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_10145.png

It's hard to compare our team with other eras because the game is completely different, and the international market is different. You just can't get an Ali or a Buderus any more, and this generations Peacocks and Seniors would be playing in the NRL, the salary cap is just way out of our reach in this country.

Having said that, there are poor players in the squad. I don't really understand Briscoe getting 2 years. I actually think the pack is in decent nick, but theres no X factor players in there. The closest we have is Hurrell, and most want to ship him out.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain3206No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 20178 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: KaeruJim "It's the catalyst signings we're missing. Leeds have built success in recent memory from a nucleus of home-developed talent, and that's an even more necessary strategy now than ever it was, due to difficulties in signing NRL players now.

However we had Senior, McDermott, Harris, Ellis, Peacock all signed from other clubs and all who were fantastic for Leeds. I'd say each of them had the best years of their career with us too, possibly excepting Ellis who kicked on another level in the NRL I think.

If we want to be top of the table again, we're going to have to have the best squad in Super League. It's not rocket science, we need the best players. Our systems and supports might be very good, but they're icing on the cake not cake itself.

Honestly we need to clear a little dead wood and push on again with 2-3 first grade quality signings. With the youth talent we have, why on Earth sign any new player unless they are capable of playing in and winning a GF with us?'"

Think we need to stop living in cloud cuckoo land as fans. You can't sign players like that anymore. Best English talent go's to NRL. Then there's more competition for what's left and less choice. Wire, Hull, abs even Cas and Hudds have emerged as clubs who compete for talent. We have to go with what we have, and the odd risky signing which can be hit or miss......
Some serious young talent coming through. We just need to be more patient....
We will get there!

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach15864No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Oct 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10145_1279728778.png
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_10145.png

The salary cap is working well. Just not sure how Saints can be so much better though. I guess it comes to something I've always said which is in a salary cap sport, team spirit and coaching would be where you focus. I think it team spirit is good, a world away from where it was 2 years ago, but I don't think we look well coached. A team like Leeds should have the best coach in the business

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain3206No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 20178 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: The Eagle "The salary cap is working well. Just not sure how Saints can be so much better though. I guess it comes to something I've always said which is in a salary cap sport, team spirit and coaching would be where you focus. I think it team spirit is good, a world away from where it was 2 years ago, but I don't think we look well coached. A team like Leeds should have the best coach in the business'"

More important than any of these things, are injuries. Saints and Wigan has couple of very healthy years, therfore right at top.
When Saints seemed to have terrible luck like we are having now, they won nothing...

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain3615
JoinedServiceReputation
May 20168 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2022May 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: The Eagle "The salary cap is working well. Just not sure how Saints can be so much better though. I guess it comes to something I've always said which is in a salary cap sport, team spirit and coaching would be where you focus. I think it team spirit is good, a world away from where it was 2 years ago, but I don't think we look well coached. A team like Leeds should have the best coach in the business'"

You have to wonder if our starting halves Lui and Gale being out has something to do with us not looking well coached dont you? Mind you our back ups Eastmond and Myler should be able to cope im sure....oh wait no....theyve been out too. Still our 3rd choice half back pairing of Sutcliffe and McLelland should fill in okish....oh bummer theyve been out too. Oh well surely we could play Cam Smith in halves....oh poo hes missing too.

But weve still got Jack Walker in our spine....hang on hes not played for 2 years. But Myler is a more than capable replacement...oh wait but weve already established hes been out all year. Sutcliffe then, good old jack of all trades Sutty he can play at 1.....ah but f..k hes been out and is needed in halves when fit cos our other 6 halves are out. Well lets play a kid at full back then whos played half a dozen SL games.

Ive really no idea why we dont look well coached. Total mystery.

Lmao.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain3206No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 20178 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Marty Grrrrrrrrrr! "You have to wonder if our starting halves Lui and Gale being out has something to do with us not looking well coached dont you? Mind you our back ups Eastmond and Myler should be able to cope im sure....oh wait no....theyve been out too. Still our 3rd choice half back pairing of Sutcliffe and McLelland should fill in okish....oh bummer theyve been out too. Oh well surely we could play Cam Smith in halves....oh poo hes missing too.

But weve still got Jack Walker in our spine....hang on hes not played for 2 years. But Myler is a more than capable replacement...oh wait but weve already established hes been out all year. Sutcliffe then, good old jack of all trades Sutty he can play at 1.....ah but f..k hes been out and is needed in halves when fit cos our other 6 halves are out. Well lets play a kid at full back then whos played half a dozen SL games.

Lmao.'"

Think that answers it! Your explanation is brilliant to someone who appreciates sarcasm....

RankPostsTeam
First Team Player1096No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 20204 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Marty Grrrrrrrrrr! "You have to wonder if our starting halves Lui and Gale being out has something to do with us not looking well coached dont you? Mind you our back ups Eastmond and Myler should be able to cope im sure....oh wait no....theyve been out too. Still our 3rd choice half back pairing of Sutcliffe and McLelland should fill in okish....oh bummer theyve been out too. Oh well surely we could play Cam Smith in halves....oh poo hes missing too.

Lmao.'"

Coaching is about getting the best out of the players that are available - even by Agar's own comments the senior players aren't performing. The discipline on the field is terrible, simple passing and handling errors are numerous and avoidable. Simple defensive structures not adhered to - maybe that gives us a clue as why we don't look well coached - because the team isn't well coached?

RankPostsTeam
First Team Player1096No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 20204 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: christopher "See i knew could spin it
Is that even English?

Just answer the question - it isn't difficult - no doubt you will be able to polish the turd - over to you icon_biggrin.gif

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain3615
JoinedServiceReputation
May 20168 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2022May 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Zoo Zoo Boom "Coaching is about getting the best out of the players that are available - even by Agar's own comments the senior players aren't performing. The discipline on the field is terrible, simple passing and handling errors are numerous and avoidable. Simple defensive structures not adhered to - maybe that gives us a clue as why we don't look well coached - because the team isn't well coached?'"

Simple defensive structures may possibly fall down when players change roles the day before a game dont you think? In the main defensively weve done ok so far this year tho i think. Plenty of effort no doubt about that.

Our main issue has been attacking especially near the line, last tackle plays and our kicking game in general has been poor also. Which comes down partly to have 2nd rowers and hookers playing in those key roles.

Take Harry Kane out and put Pickford up front and England wouldnt score as many goals believe me. Doesnt mean Southgate should be sacked just means he needs his main striker back to score goals.

Take a cow out of a field and replace him with a kangaroo and you wont have much milk for your coco pops tomorrow morning.

Its not that hard to grasp really.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2579No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 20205 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Marty Grrrrrrrrrr! "Simple defensive structures may possibly fall down when players change roles the day before a game dont you think? In the main defensively weve done ok so far this year tho i think. Plenty of effort no doubt about that.

Our main issue has been attacking especially near the line, last tackle plays and our kicking game in general has been poor also. Which comes down partly to have 2nd rowers and hookers playing in those key roles.

Take Harry Kane out and put Pickford up front and England wouldnt score as many goals believe me. Doesnt mean Southgate should be sacked just means he needs his main striker back to score goals.

Take a cow out of a field and replace him with a kangaroo and you wont have much milk for your coco pops tomorrow morning.

Its not that hard to grasp really.'"

Ridiculous Marty! Everybody knows that as professional players all should be able to perform to a high skill in any position and if they can't it's the coaches fault. The golden generation would have shifted Kylie and Peacock to half back and JJB to full back, before hammering Wigan and Saints into oblivion. Let the truth set you free!

433 posts in 30 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
433 posts in 30 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.154296875:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Decision on the field
--[ WW ]--
1m
SL CHAT THREAD OTHER TEAMS GAMES
chapylad
14m