JoinedServiceReputation
May 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2012Dec 2012LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: rhino2009 "Do you think Gary H already has players lined up from NRL after his trip last year and do Cooper and Kaufusi feature?'"

would like to think so, but can't imagine he will. Those are 2 names that have been thrown about, but no solid rumours. The only real rumours for us are Heath L'Estrange and Andy Lynch...

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach3813No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2020Feb 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: benduke15 "I think a complete clearout, is a little over the top, and may affect the swuad in a negative way, instead of positively. We need to get rid of the deadwood in the squad, and players that can easily be replaced in the youth. I reckon we will see Webb, Ali, Kirke, Bailey and maybe Senior leave. I think we need to sign Kylie on a 1 year contract, and JP maybe 2 years. We SHOULD offer Burgess a 3 year deal, whether he will accept is another question. But in my opinion a clearout would only affect the squad negatively.'"

I'd like to have seen us make more of an effort to keep Burgess too. He's had obvious flaws in his game over the past few years, but this year he's seemed to be ironing them out and looks like turning into a very good prop in the near future. We've all heard that he wants to try his hand in Australia with his brothers, and fair enough. But we could have at least *tried* to keep him.

What's more likely to change his mind? Playing him every week and showing him that he'd be giving up a spot as an important member of the squad if he leaves, or leaving him on the sidelines for a month and saying we rate him lower that Ian Kirke? If his mind wasn't made up, McDermott's made it up for him. Why would he accept a 3-year deal with us as things stand?

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member9565No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2019Dec 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
fonds noir/Buzz Lightyear.gif
:fonds noir/Buzz Lightyear.gif

Also re Burgess, even if he does leave for Aus, we may well want him back whether it works out for him or not. No point in burning any bridges with him.

Generally if a player is announced to be leaving I don't see any reason not to pick them (unless they're going to yawnion, in which case they should be burned at the stake).

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member17230No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Nov 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
3043_1291817917.jpg
#frostiesbitches We know who you are.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_3043.jpg

Quote: The Magic Rat "The squad needs some new faces but talk of a mass clearout is an over reaction IMO.
The Head coach must shoulder the majority of the blame although injuries have deprived him of fielding his strongest side. A top quality coach can have a big influence with the same group of players. TS at Wire and Maguire at Wigan have transformed their clubs fortunes without massive overhauls of the playing squads.
Hypothetical question maybe, but if TS had taken over our squad of players in the off season we would be a far more competitive side than we are ATM.'"

This post is so over the top incorrect.

A lot on here keep going on abou Maguire at Wigan. What he had was a massive overhaul of the squad to change their fortunes. He had exactly what Leeds had in 2003, a lot of class youngsters to choose from which were ready, and added experience like Deacon and Riddell to it. Huge changes happened at Wigan compared to what Noble did before him. Personally I still have always been of the opinion that Wigan got lucky last year due to the injuries Saints and Leeds had, and this season is proving me something correct.

I already showed last week how Smith had overhauled the playing squad at Wire in order to get where they are now. He took the club backwards as far as the league was concerned in his first season at Wire. Then with player changes took it forward significantly.

Let's look at Friday honestly. For 50 minutes of that game Leeds were the better side. Most posters accept they put in a very good first half. So if it is all ok for 50 minutes, what is happening for the other 30 minutes? Do people seriously believe that the coach is giving instructions from the sidelines to say "ok we have done enough good things now, lets go crap"? Is he hell, so something is wrong out on the field.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2244No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
19722.gif
Woody: Can I pour you a draft, Mr. Peterson? Norm: A little early, isn't it Woody? Woody: For a beer? Norm: No, for stupid questions.:19722.gif

Quote: Gotcha "This post is so over the top incorrect.

A lot on here keep going on abou Maguire at Wigan. What he had was a massive overhaul of the squad to change their fortunes. He had exactly what Leeds had in 2003, a lot of class youngsters to choose from which were ready, and added experience like Deacon and Riddell to it. Huge changes happened at Wigan compared to what Noble did before him. Personally I still have always been of the opinion that Wigan got lucky last year due to the injuries Saints and Leeds had, and this season is proving me something correct.

I already showed last week how Smith had overhauled the playing squad at Wire in order to get where they are now. He took the club backwards as far as the league was concerned in his first season at Wire. Then with player changes took it forward significantly.

Let's look at Friday honestly. For 50 minutes of that game Leeds were the better side. Most posters accept they put in a very good first half. So if it is all ok for 50 minutes, what is happening for the other 30 minutes? Do people seriously believe that the coach is giving instructions from the sidelines to say "ok we have done enough good things now, lets go crap"? Is he hell, so something is wrong out on the field.'"

Do you not believe we would have performed any better this season with a different coaching setup?

DHM
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach8893
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2024Apr 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
25511_1478008518.jpg
"Well, I think in Rugby League if you head butt someone there's normally some repercusions":d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_25511.jpg

Quote: Gotcha "Let's look at Friday honestly. For 50 minutes of that game Leeds were the better side. Most posters accept they put in a very good first half. So if it is all ok for 50 minutes, what is happening for the other 30 minutes? '"

Confidence and belief that they will win is not there. You should know that much of what a team accomplishes is based on iron clad self belief. Saints have it, we don't. It's leaked out of this squad over the last 12 months and McDermott and Lowes have just made more holes in the barrell I'm afraid.

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman9510
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
1157.jpg
It's not how much talent you've got, it's what you do with it that counts.:1157.jpg

Confidence is built from defence. If you believe in your defensive structure, technique and communication then you will have enough confidence in what you can do should you lose the ball to try things with it.

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman18060No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2023Jun 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
icons077e_files/5454-3678dentheman-msnicons.jpg
Your job is to say to yourself on a job interview does the hiring manager likes me or not. If you aren't a particular manager's cup of tea, you haven't failed -- you've dodged a bullet.:icons077e_files/5454-3678dentheman-msnicons.jpg

Quote: Gotcha "This post is so over the top incorrect.

Let's look at Friday honestly. For 50 minutes of that game Leeds were the better side. Most posters accept they put in a very good first half. So if it is all ok for 50 minutes, what is happening for the other 30 minutes? Do people seriously believe that the coach is giving instructions from the sidelines to say "ok we have done enough good things now, lets go crap"? Is he hell, so something is wrong out on the field.'"

Some good points here - I said before if Wigan get to the GF this year the team will have 6/7 changes from the team that won last years GF. These squad change rounds happened at most clubs every year.

I don't agree with the last paragraph - I think Leeds were still in the game but the balance of play in the first half was well in Saints favour - I can hardly remember a serious attempt on the Saints line in the first half. The second half panned out how I would of expected - a Leeds defence short on energy against a Saints attack with plenty left in the tank.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner28186No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2016Aug 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Transparent Backgrounds/Waldorf.gif
"As you travel through life don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things" - George Carlin [url:2cg5oc2o]http://twitter.com/AndyGilder[/url:2cg5oc2o] [url:2cg5oc2o]http://fromthewesternterrace.blogspot.co.uk[/url:2cg5oc2o] This week: Four keys to a Rhinos win in the WCC:Transparent Backgrounds/Waldorf.gif

Quote: DHM "Confidence and belief that they will win is not there. '"

Yup - not coincidence that in the last two games once Leeds have gone two scores behind they've capitulated having been competitive for the preceding 45-50 minutes.

I'd also question whether some of the senior players still have the desire to do anything other than swan around chelping at match officials or throwing the ball down in frustration after every error. Saints and Warrington have both looked not only more confident, but also a damned sight hungrier over the last two weeks - like the Leeds side of 2004-2009 in fact.

At least half a dozen of the current first team squad shouldn't be pulling on a Leeds shirt in 2012 IMO.

Whether a change in coach is going to stop players making basic errors and putting in half-hearted efforts on the field is another matter. Moan all you like about team selection, but does anyone seriously think that including Burgess, Clarkson and Pitts or giving McShane more game time would have changed the last two results?

G1
RankPostsTeam
International Chairman32302No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2018Oct 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
982.jpg
[quote:1pqtnbtj]Every player in our squad could probably earn more money with another club. But they prefer to sacrifice a few extra quid in their back pocket to share special memories. And playing at a place like Old Trafford on a night like this makes it all worthwhile.[/quote:1pqtnbtj] Kevin Sinfield:982.jpg

Quote: Andy Gilder "Yup - not coincidence that in the last two games once Leeds have gone two scores behind they've capitulated having been competitive for the preceding 45-50 minutes.
'"

Agreed.

Quote: Andy Gilder "I'd also question whether some of the senior players still have the desire to do anything other than swan around chelping at match officials or throwing the ball down in frustration after every error. Saints and Warrington have both looked not only more confident, but also a damned sight hungrier over the last two weeks - like the Leeds side of 2004-2009 in fact.'"
It's hardly supririsnig though is it? They're bound to be hungrier given how Siants haven't won it since 2006 and Warrington since 1720 or something.

Quote: Andy Gilder "Whether a change in coach is going to stop players making basic errors and putting in half-hearted efforts on the field is another matter. Moan all you like about team selection, but does anyone seriously think that including Burgess, Clarkson and Pitts or giving McShane more game time would have changed the last two results?'"
A change of coach might.

RankPostsTeam
International Star489
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2019May 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
52459_1283239015.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_52459.jpg

Quote: Andy Gilder "Yup - not coincidence that in the last two games once Leeds have gone two scores behind they've capitulated having been competitive for the preceding 45-50 minutes.

I'd also question whether some of the senior players still have the desire to do anything other than swan around chelping at match officials or throwing the ball down in frustration after every error. Saints and Warrington have both looked not only more confident, but also a damned sight hungrier over the last two weeks - like the Leeds side of 2004-2009 in fact.

At least half a dozen of the current first team squad shouldn't be pulling on a Leeds shirt in 2012 IMO.

Whether a change in coach is going to stop players making basic errors and putting in half-hearted efforts on the field is another matter. Moan all you like about team selection, but does anyone seriously think that including Burgess, Clarkson and Pitts or giving McShane more game time would have changed the last two results?'"

That's nail on head for me! There just seems like there's no desire to win. I would say that is down to the coach not the players. I can't decide if he is slagging them all off making them feel worthless, or blowing wind up their eusa_silenced.gif making them feel like all they have to do is turn up on the night to win!

I have tried to defend BMD to an extent to see his potential, let him settle, but as soon as I heard the Warrington team sheet I could no longer find any plausible excuses!

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member17230No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Nov 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
3043_1291817917.jpg
#frostiesbitches We know who you are.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_3043.jpg

Quote: west_leeds_rhino "That's nail on head for me! There just seems like there's no desire to win. I would say that is down to the coach not the players. I can't decide if he is slagging them all off making them feel worthless, or blowing wind up their

You say he hits nail on the head (which personally I agree on), yet you go on to then state completely the oppossite to what he put.

RankPostsTeam
International Star489
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2019May 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
52459_1283239015.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_52459.jpg

Quote: Gotcha "You say he hits nail on the head (which personally I agree on), yet you go on to then state completely the oppossite to what he put.'"

Hardly! Please highlight, in context, the contradictory statements.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5526No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2019Mar 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Whether a change in coach is going to stop players making basic errors and putting in half-hearted efforts on the field is another matter. Moan all you like about team selection, but does anyone seriously think that including Burgess, Clarkson and Pitts or giving McShane more game time would have changed the last two results?'"

I fear you are right. The malaise appears deep....still doesn't excuse the dropping of players who appeared more in form....or, in the case of Burrow, dropping him to the bench just when he seemed to be back to his best line breaking running confidence.

RankPostsTeam
International Star5813No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2022Mar 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
icons3ae4_files/4541-162reymo-msnicons.jpg
If your not cheating, your not trying. Barrie Mcdermott:icons3ae4_files/4541-162reymo-msnicons.jpg

Quote: nantwichexile "I fear you are right. The malaise appears deep....still doesn't excuse the dropping of players who appeared more in form....or, in the case of Burrow, dropping him to the bench just when he seemed to be back to his best line breaking running confidence.'"

Agree but I think it is a combination of players. Poor coaching as we seem to have no structure, and poor squad selection and decisions. The coach doesn't make any sense at all in his interviews so I cannot imagine what the team talks are like!!!!

50 posts in 4 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
50 posts in 4 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.07568359375:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Transfer Talk / Rumour thread V4
ArthurClues
1m
Film game
Boss Hog
3m