FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

FORUMS > Leeds Rhinos > RD1 | Wakefield Trinity (A)
369 posts in 26 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain300No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 20186 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Bit of perspective

A Sutcliffe and Broadbent are probably our 4th and 5th choice centres, with Hurrell, Newman and L Sutcliffe above them. Appreciate that may change if Broadbent continues to play well but not many teams can say they have 4th and 5th choice centres at that level.

L Sutcliffe is possibly our 6th choice half back behind Gale, Lui, Eastmond, McLelland and Myler. He isn’t a half back, he did his best, hopefully we get a few back and he doesn’t need to play there again.

For me I thought Myler was very good, I don’t think Walker would have made the passes he did today and don’t think with Walker we score from those opportunities. A lot to be said for a solid playmaking full back, he may not have the razzle dazzle but we can play some nice structure when he chimes in..

I liked C Smith when he came on, a lot more ball handling from him which I like. I can see him doing that ball playing 13 role if Eastmond is doing a lot of the running threat.

Without Handley we lacked pace, I think Briscoe is okay but difficult day to be defending against that Wakey edge.

Pack was good, we have some nice power and I thought that was a big reason why they seemed to tire as it went on.

Overall we got the points, we got some minutes into the legs and we get another week to try and get a couple of players back.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member11421
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
cartoons/WB153.gif
I'm not a pheasant plucker, i'm a pheasant pluckers son and i'm only plucking pheasants till the pheasant plucker comes.:cartoons/WB153.gif

Quote: Lprhino "Bit of perspective

A Sutcliffe and Broadbent are probably our 4th and 5th choice centres, with Hurrell, Newman and L Sutcliffe above them. Appreciate that may change if Broadbent continues to play well but not many teams can say they have 4th and 5th choice centres at that level.

L Sutcliffe is possibly our 6th choice half back behind Gale, Lui, Eastmond, McLelland and Myler. He isn’t a half back, he did his best, hopefully we get a few back and he doesn’t need to play there again.

For me I thought Myler was very good, I don’t think Walker would have made the passes he did today and don’t think with Walker we score from those opportunities. A lot to be said for a solid playmaking full back, he may not have the razzle dazzle but we can play some nice structure when he chimes in..

I liked C Smith when he came on, a lot more ball handling from him which I like. I can see him doing that ball playing 13 role if Eastmond is doing a lot of the running threat.

Without Handley we lacked pace, I think Briscoe is okay but difficult day to be defending against that Wakey edge.

Pack was good, we have some nice power and I thought that was a big reason why they seemed to tire as it went on.

Overall we got the points, we got some minutes into the legs and we get another week to try and get a couple of players back.'"

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member11421
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
cartoons/WB153.gif
I'm not a pheasant plucker, i'm a pheasant pluckers son and i'm only plucking pheasants till the pheasant plucker comes.:cartoons/WB153.gif

Overall we got the points, we got some minutes into the legs and we get another week to try and get a couple of players back.'"
Good Post agree with all that.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain3615
JoinedServiceReputation
May 20168 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2022May 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Other than Eastmond sounds like no players back for a month or so.

RankPostsTeam
First Team Player1096No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 20204 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Interesting game - Leeds did well to hold on. Points of note:
Liam Sutcliffe is not a half back and should not play there again - it was a waste of a jersey
Cameron Smith - made a huge difference when he came on
Myler by far the best player on the pitch - I would play him at half back and Broadbent at FB
Forwards look solid enough
Lack of genuine pace will be an issue against the better sides - both wingers are pedestrian as are the second row
Leeming seems ineffectual - not sure what he is bringing to the party?
Broadbent looks a real talent - work on his speed
Tom Johnstone is a real talent in a top side he would be a shoe-in at international level

RankPostsTeam
International Star798
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2024Apr 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Just for context, it was the second game of our season. It's impossible for the players to be in their rhythm and this was in effect a preseason game. Throw in that last week A Sutcliffe, Gale, Prior, Mellor and Tetevano didn't play. So they're nowhere near game ready, and the combinations last week were different too because of who was playing. Considering we've heard how Sean Long has been changing things a bit, it was never going to a polished performance. There's certainly some improvement in that team and individuals which is what we'd expect at this point. Bring in that key personal and it changes so much. So it's good to have the 2 points and I'm quietly optimistic for this season

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain545No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 20195 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Great to haverugby back and in the end happy to take the 2 points. After all the chat and build up what if anything have we learned. Our pack looks stronger than last year with competition for places. Our backs albeit mising a number of players lack pace and attacking threat. Even when absentees return we still will lack speed. Last years stand outs Myler Öledski and Prior again our best players.
Tetevano -need to learn how to use him to best effect.
Dwyer - no change 100% effort some brilliant mixed with the headless chicken moments. The Phil Ford of hookers!
Question marks against starting 2nd rows arguably bench men stronger and Thompson impressed particularly.
Sutcliffe at 6 its all been said!
Broadbent - Really promising but lets not get carried away at a very similar stage to Newman last year. Real potential but defence a concern.
Wingers - like functional boring cars will do a job but no thrill factor and will get passed easily on a straight road.
Gale give him a break been out for 11 weeks and made a few mistakes but still had to take all the responsibility for moving the team around as we have nobody else.
My final point would be when are people going to start giving Richie Myler some credit. He is consistently performing to a high standard never ducks anything or complains and while he was poor in the halves that should be taken in the context of the style of the halves as a unit. I would have no issue with him at 6 with Gale at 7. It will be an interesting next couple of games if nobody ready to return.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2245No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
19722.gif
Woody: Can I pour you a draft, Mr. Peterson? Norm: A little early, isn't it Woody? Woody: For a beer? Norm: No, for stupid questions.:19722.gif

On Myler, he has totally won me over since his move to fullback. We signed him to play halfback, he never cut it and we looked clueless with him trying to run the show. Since Gale arrived to take on that job and he has been given a free role at fullback he looks a totally different player. His link play outside of Gale is our main attacking play and he is key to that. We would lose that if he played 6 on the other side of the field. He shirks nothing and although his height maybe against him going for high kicks he doesn't appear to lose out too often. Since his move to fullback he has been consistently one of our best players. I would leave him there.

A bit rusty in general yesterday but there were some encouraging signs. In the main our defence down the middle looked to have a bit of steel but we were caught out out wide too often. Broadbent looked really good going forward but have others have mentioned got caught out defensively a few times. He's worth an extended run there. I thought Prior was great considering the short pre season he has had.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner6695No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200421 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Agar: "I think Sutcliffe did a good job for us at 6".

RankPostsTeam
First Team Player1511
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 20204 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Myler has found his place at FB.
I would not move him into the halves - give him the season at FB.
If Sutcliffe is all we have at 6 for a few weeks, I would be tempted to play Smith there.
He can’t possibly be any worse.
The only position Sutcliffe should play is centre.
Mellor is a concern.
He isn’t doing enough, and there’s players knocking the door down.
I worry that Walters will only stick around so long if he cant get minutes.
Rest of the pack were excellent.
Broadbent looks a superstar with ball in hand, but needs to work on his defence.
He shoots the line and leaves gaps.
But he needs help from the sliding defence, because he got exposed.
Gale just had a bad day.
We really need Handley back and another winger.
The way we use the hookers is spot on.
Dwyer comes on when there’s tired legs and creates a bit of havoc with his energy.
But he can’t pass the ball.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member13555No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
3357_1596183529.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_3357.jpg

Quote: Seth "Agar

He did as good a job as anyone else we have to put there, we can't shift Myler from that fullback position as he has been outstanding there, Sutcliffe doesn't;t want to play 6, the fans don't want him to play 6 but until Eastmond is ready we don't really have a choice.

Apart form his error from the kick off, he didn't do much wrong.

RankPostsTeam
First Team Player1511
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 20204 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: fanstanningley "Good Post agree with all that.'"

Good point on Myler.
When he joins the line, he gives us something different to Walker, cos he’s a passing threat.
However, on the flip side, if Walkers at FB, I don’t think Johnstone scores that first try.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2579No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 20205 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Broadbent did struggle a little in defence but you have to balance that against the fact that he was facing Tupou. Far more experienced players, including Watkins, have looked like complete mugs against him. Will be interesting to see how he gets on with Shenton this week.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain5871
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 20178 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
75810_1643888256.png
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_75810.png

Agar on injuries

"Konrad will be 2 or 3 weeks, Newman will be at least a month, Holroyd will probably be another month. Ash Handley, again he's two weeks into a six-week injury. Apart from Kyle, in the next week or two, we've nobody for 3 or 4 weeks" (Leeds Live)

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain4719
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 20186 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
77264_1540382825.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_77264.jpg

I have seen Broadbent defend well at junior level, I believe it is mostly a strength issue (but he does have to get his technique better). He will know it’s an area to work on.

He is evasive and most importantly he has good skill and a rugby brain. Intercepts have always been part of his game. I hope he gets a run of a few games before Konnie is ready and then stood down for some time to train.

Myler - exactly as above. I really like him going forward but he does get caught out of position or making the wrong decision at times. He should have nailed Johnstone head on for that first try, Briscoe had the inside man covered. Easier said than done but he did have time.

With a full side back we definitely have some play in us but again this is why we also need some direct players like Mik and Tetevano. IMHO we have been overplaying Oledski for 2 years now and at his age he shouldn’t be carrying the pack.

I’m might be tempted to play Smith at SO and L Sutcliffe back to centre instead of A Sutcliffe (who also had a pretty good game), or put one of the Sutcliffes on the bench. Cam is too good to be playing 30 minute stints.

Did anyone else notice when Donaldson took Fifita by the legs and ruined him in a tackle by the way?

369 posts in 26 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
369 posts in 26 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.267578125:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Decision on the field
--[ WW ]--
1m
SL CHAT THREAD OTHER TEAMS GAMES
chapylad
14m