JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 20231 year
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2023Jun 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Only asking Tad, heard it from a few folk now.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach24132
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
11400_1493633977.gif
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_11400.gif

no I wasn't criticising pal

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member11376
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2024Apr 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2960.jpg
:2960.jpg

John Kear?! Funny if it happends from a Saints pov, but if I were a Leeds fan I'd wonder what on earth is going on.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member11400
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
cartoons/WB153.gif
I'm not a pheasant plucker, i'm a pheasant pluckers son and i'm only plucking pheasants till the pheasant plucker comes.:cartoons/WB153.gif

Quote: krisleeds "Until Smith gets a free shot with the OQ and frankly ridiculous money we spent on both Tetevano and Sezer's wages on the assumption they are both Marquee players - he won't have had a chance. He got us to the GF last year - his talents are clearly there.'"
It was reported that Sezer wasn't a marquee signing.

RankPostsTeam
Junior Player583No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 20231 year
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: krisleeds "Until Smith gets a free shot with the OQ and frankly ridiculous money we spent on both Tetevano and Sezer's wages on the assumption they are both Marquee players - he won't have had a chance. He got us to the GF last year - his talents are clearly there.

It is very difficult to make a poor side play well when you inherit another coaches ideas and infrastructure.

The flip side is that Saints have a decent squad and its very easy to roll on success when the bones of the squad are there 1, 6, 7 and 9.

Leeds got it badly wrong with Dwyer (we havent had a proper hooker since Buderus), Sezer (made of glass), Tetvano and Fusitu'a (see Sezer).

It boils down to poor recruitment.

eg we need a centre, We have Newman but he's been really unlucky. Thats it, thats the only proper centre we have.

Wigan managed to pick up Wardle AND King late last season. Why weren't Leeds all over that?

We have half backs and wingers at full back. Back rowers in the centres. Back rowers at stand off. Loose forwards at hooker.

We all know Smith is patching holes - but the club need to look at how those holes have been created.

I was speaking to my Wakey mate this morning. They are now on 2 point chasing Cas. Cas have 6 points - 4 are from playing Leeds.

2024 needs to be a blanks slate.

If Leeds has signed Luke Brooks, NOW is a good time to get that announced.'"

So are you saying that Smith is playing all said players out of position and saying that is his idea because Gary hasn't let him bring in anymore players? A kind of stool pigeon?

RankPostsTeam
International Star4239No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 201311 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

实事求是!:

Remember that role Agar was originally brought in for a few years ago? What happened to that?

Wasn’t Sinfield our DoR for a while, and now we don’t have one?

This all reeks of a rugby operation that has completely lost its way.

Smith has all the hallmarks of a coach who had a short-term impact or “new coach bounce” but doesn’t have the skill set to move things forward.

The trajectory of run and grand final last year and then totally flopping this year simply isn’t the trajectory of a coach who has what it takes for us.

RankPostsTeam
Academy Player820No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 20222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: FearTheVee "John Kear?! Funny if it happends from a Saints pov, but if I were a Leeds fan I'd wonder what on earth is going on.'"

This has to be a joke

RankPostsTeam
Academy Player820No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 20222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: BradAsquith7 "Only asking Tad, heard it from a few folk now.'"

If this is true I will have lost any faith in GH and the club.
Smith said yesterday words to the effect of “as a coach you can quit or fight and I will fight”. That is a message to GH that he won’t resign.

IF GH brings in Kear it will be a ploy to undermine Smith and hope he resigns or agrees to go with a reduced package.

I hope this is all rubbish

RankPostsTeam
International Star798
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2024Apr 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

This poor season could probably be traced back to a badly managed pre-season. It seems we approached the games half d with a lack of gameplan and the focus being on getting minutes in the legs, regardless of which position it was in.

That could be put down to Smith's naivety, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to work out the importance of pre-season for building combinations, structure and cohesion. I had a manager who insisted on people rotating teams so they knew a bit of everything. It doesn't work. People need to be experts in their areas with an understanding of others.

To play devil's advocate, this could potentially be the making of Smith, but he needs a wise head beside him as Director of Rugby. He's still a young coach and has made a fair few mistakes this season. If he can put his hands up and say he got it wrong, it could be a huge learning experience. But he needs someone there with experience. His coaching team is quite young and I wonder if there's anyone questioning his decisions, or if they're just nodding dogs.

What's clear is that the club is broken on the field, and has been for some time. It feels like we're stuck in the past still living off the success of the golden generation.

RankPostsTeam
Junior Player14No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 20231 year
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2023Jun 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Sir Gregory ParsloeP "If this is true I will have lost any faith in GH and the club.
Smith said yesterday words to the effect of “as a coach you can quit or fight and I will fight”. That is a message to GH that he won’t resign.

IF GH brings in Kear it will be a ploy to undermine Smith and hope he resigns or agrees to go with a reduced package.

I hope this is all rubbish'"

I like Kear, managed to do a lot with very little resources over the years but in honesty to be a success moving forward would very much rely on him having any sort of ambition and drive.

Let's see what transpires but I for one support it 100%.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain5675
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 20177 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
75810_1643888256.png
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_75810.png

Agree with D4mo78.. i think Smith messed this up in pre season. The warning signs were there..

I still can't believe GH has not issued an apology to the fans... is this where we are as a club now ? accepting shi*te like that.... no wonder we are where we are...

RankPostsTeam
Moderator9150
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
27287_1532947987.png
BELIEVE. BELIEF. BEYOND. IT AIN'T WHERE YOUR FROM, ITS WHERE YOUR AT. SWMC Coach's very own timekeeping aficionado & expert stair inspector.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_27287.png

Quote: D4mo78 "This poor season could probably be traced back to a badly managed pre-season. It seems we approached the games half d with a lack of gameplan and the focus being on getting minutes in the legs, regardless of which position it was in.

That could be put down to Smith's naivety, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to work out the importance of pre-season for building combinations, structure and cohesion.

What's clear is that the club is broken on the field, and has been for some time. It feels like we're stuck in the past still living off the success of the golden generation.'"

Good Post.

To be fair to Smith, we have been so dogged by injuries and suspensions that for me anyway FWIW it was a decent shout trying out people in new positions and making people play a new position where in a pinch or a tough game with injuries / sending offs etc they can be rotated into and are not going in "cold" but I do think and agree with you that we spent all preseason on Gimmicks, some which worked, some which unfortunately were doomed to fail.
You can only practice so many in a non competitive environment so kudos for him trying out the short kickoffs etc all preseason but that Warrington game mustve come as a very rude awakening to the realities of a loose preseason and actually competitive RL and some of the gimmicks now look just like plain stupidity.

As for the club being broken I totally agree, weve patched up the cracks for years and its been "jam tomorrow" and false dawn after false dawn for nearly 6/7 years and I think this is the culmination of celebrating our successes instead of putting it in a box and moving on to the next one.

RankPostsTeam
Fringe Player1123No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 20213 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Smith has made some mistakes for sure. If he doesn't learn from them then he'll be gone sooner rather than later.

Having said that, just look at our squad. Not what we want them to be, or how they can maybe play every now and then, but in reality. Our spine is just dreadful. O'Connor gets a pass as he's still learning, but Myler, Austin, Sezer even if fit (not often) and playing well (even less often) vs Welsby, Dodd and Lomax at their best? That's the standard we need to be at, and our trio, almost combined age 100 (so getting slower and generally worse every year) are just not in the same league. That trio is the key to every successful RL side. You can have gaps elsewhere, but they are what makes the side tick and play to a structure.

I really don't think Smith helps with the passive defence (or whatever it is), or the constant picking of players out of position. Going back to fundamentals would help tighten us up and generally much harder to beat.

But it is also down to the players you have. Our squad just lacks class. Our recruitment for next year, when we should have oodles of cap to play with, has to be about quality, ideally in at least two of the spine roles. Otherwise you can change the coach and we'll still win zilch.

RankPostsTeam
First Team Player1046No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 20204 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Kear's game plan - take the two!!

Kear has no idea about how to coach attack his sole focus is on defence - an old style coach who is now so far out of date it would be a joke if he were brought in

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach24132
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
11400_1493633977.gif
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_11400.gif

as a stand in for a couple of months no.problem. full time no chance

108 posts in 8 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
108 posts in 8 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.27099609375:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Round 16 London Home
Emagdnim13
7m
TV Games - Not Hull
Jake the Peg
10m