JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 20177 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2018Apr 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

If we're continuing with a 30 man squad next year then I think most of those youngsters will stay (if they want to).

Think McGuire will retire this year but JJB will play on. Burrow will be interesting as Parcell's strong form has limited his game time. Given his groin issues in the last couple of seasons then might want to accept a sub role is what's better for him rather than trying to go be a starter elsewhere.

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman18060No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2023Jun 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
icons077e_files/5454-3678dentheman-msnicons.jpg
Your job is to say to yourself on a job interview does the hiring manager likes me or not. If you aren't a particular manager's cup of tea, you haven't failed -- you've dodged a bullet.:icons077e_files/5454-3678dentheman-msnicons.jpg

Quote: Seth "So on the basis of him not ripping it up yet in the 19s (in your assessment) despite injury and everything gotcha alludes to, and his brother, whos relatively young for a prop and playing SL, youd get rid of him? Riiiiight'"

It isn't just my assessment of the quality of his performances in the U19s. I think some on here are blinded by their view of him as a junior. Let's see it depends on your view of how good he is and whether he can make the transition. The really top quality youngsters would be knocking at the door of the first team.

Daniel Smith is a year younger than Brad Singleton how would compare their development?

I hope he can make that transition if he is good as you all think - then he will be a superstar of the future, time will tell.

RankPostsTeam
International Star6848No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2023Jul 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
68072_1442575000.jpg
What you looking at?....Butt Head!!:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_68072.jpg

A lot depends on what the club feel the younger lads are worth paying at this stage in their careers. The likes of Smith, Lilley etc still very young and with little first team experience but by the same token are on the verge of breaking through, and may be told by their agents they should be paid or good get paid a certain wage which is not in the same bracket as we are willing to go to. We will see what happens over the next couple of months.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach24361
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
11400_1493633977.gif
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_11400.gif

I understood lilley signed a 4 year deal a while back

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member17230No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Nov 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
3043_1291817917.jpg
#frostiesbitches We know who you are.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_3043.jpg

Quote: Sal Paradise "Size wise he was significant larger than virtually every other kid he played against. When he made his debut at Bradford he looked not out of place physically - now when you see him he looks small when compared to even his peer group. Something has gone seriously wrong with his development.

Time will tell it would be criminal if a junior with his potential didn't realise it.

You look at young Walker and you can see he is class and will be a really top player - a bit like McGuire when he first emerged can you say the same about Smith? I hope you are right.'"

I have seen Smith throughout his career, and certainly from 14's upward he definitely was not larger than every kid on the opposition. He was a stand off for a lot of his junior days. His size came as he got older, not as you suggest. His attributes were not his size, that was a bonus later.

You mention Jack because you have just seen him play a couple of games. Jack is the same as he has always been, always had the talent. His talent is pace, and like Smith reading the game. You ask Jack who is the top players in his age group, and first named would be Smith.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain1421No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 20159 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2021Oct 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

As I understand it, the bulk of the Leeds squad are out of contract by the end of 2018. The only back with a longer deal is Watkins plus Ferres, Garbutt, parcell, ward and ormondroyd in the pack.
So lots for GH/McD to ponder and should mean some hungry players for rest of this year and next.
Like others think Mc Guire will bow out this year. with JJB what he provides at training and in and around the dressing room means the whole package is worth more than just the still high level of graft on the park.
However, as a group the Leeds pack lacks pace/mobility and I would not want to see him go on too long.

Smith has suffered a lot with injuries so would seem strange to not retain him and give him chance to develop. Last I saw him, he seemed to be carrying his left foot in an unnatural way when running. don't know if he has suffered a bad left leg/ankle injury in the past but it looked a bit awkward. Hopefully was just a temporary issue.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2356
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 20169 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2024Feb 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
74805_1455211563.gif
[b:3e8ueqvz]I really am rhinoms and haven't stolen his Avatar![/b:3e8ueqvz]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_74805.gif

What Batley said!!

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain80No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 20178 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2017Aug 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
75798_1488375788.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_75798.jpg

As with Mac I hope that Mags gets the opportunity to leave on a high by at least leaving with one more trophy. Burrow , I would hope we would retain so the he can join the coaching staff whether as junior initially ( he was great with them in past) then maybe later in senior squad...as backs coach ...JJB..puts in lot of hard graft ..yes also gives away lot of penalties but would also say lot of people said when Segeyaro joined last season it changed our fortunes..true but so did JJB's return from injury. He leads by example...we need to keep him on in some capacity. I would say on all the senior players who coming to end of time...that whilst admirable to want to win more..you need that spirit in squad..if their bodies not able to do another season...call it a day...sure number of others that were not on that list.
On Sutty, in 2015 he was initially seen as the heir to Kev, his partnership with Mags looked very promising...then however he got injured n he was unable to rediscover that level mind didn't help when he was constantly put in different positions...even covering for Golding as FB when Golding was injured..doing well there ..but now we have cover for that position in Walker...IF Moon is the choice at half back for next season or is this a temporary position for this season....IF Mags does retire after this season, Moon stay on as half back....then whoever partners him we are starting fresh again next season...if it is Sutty or Lilley then really they should start bedding them in so they can develop the partnership.( though don't see that happening as they will want to try n go for a trophy.

On Cameron Smith , he looked good when he made his brief debut against SL opposition n was close to scoring....seems ages ago...been unlucky with injuries...came back to U19s last week ( On his Birthday i think) when he came on he scored..he seemed to be back to his strong self was a good try...would hope like Oledzki he gets benefit of playing either for Bradford or Featherstone...he is definitely one for the future..few others in U19s hope we hold on to as well.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner6693No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200421 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Sal Paradise "It isn't just my assessment of the quality of his performances in the U19s. I think some on here are blinded by their view of him as a junior. Let's see it depends on your view of how good he is and whether he can make the transition. The really top quality youngsters would be knocking at the door of the first team.

Daniel Smith is a year younger than Brad Singleton how would compare their development?

I hope he can make that transition if he is good as you all think - then he will be a superstar of the future, time will tell.'"

The thing is theres a world of difference between my thoughts on his potential and your suggestion of just letting him go at 18!

Singleton has hardly been plain sailing in his development and isnt exactly pushing the top 10 props in SL.

RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2023Jun 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Your job is to say to yourself on a job interview does the hiring manager likes me or not. If you aren't a particular manager's cup of tea, you haven't failed -- you've dodged a bullet.:icons077e_files/5454-3678dentheman-msnicons.jpg

Quote: Seth "The thing is theres a world of difference between my thoughts on his potential and your suggestion of just letting him go at 18!

Singleton has hardly been plain sailing in his development and isnt exactly pushing the top 10 props in SL.'"

Agreed but he is in a hell of a lot better place than Daniel Smith which is the point.

RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2023Jun 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Quote: Gotcha "I have seen Smith throughout his career, and certainly from 14's upward he definitely was not larger than every kid on the opposition. He was a stand off for a lot of his junior days. His size came as he got older, not as you suggest. His attributes were not his size, that was a bonus later.

You mention Jack because you have just seen him play a couple of games. Jack is the same as he has always been, always had the talent. His talent is pace, and like Smith reading the game. You ask Jack who is the top players in his age group, and first named would be Smith.'"

In the U16s he is huge compared to his peer group go back and review some video footage.

So you are saying the real great parts of his game are te parts the Rhinos are not going to make much use of i.e. passing and Game reading - that seems very strange for a professional club?

Walker's class is his balanced running style and his basic speed not unlike Kalum that is not something you can coach - funny how Walker has played as many first team games as the outstanding player of his peer group? Real class is not a moment in time its permanent,

RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Nov 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
3043_1291817917.jpg

Quote: Sal Paradise "In the U16s he is huge compared to his peer group go back and review some video footage.

So you are saying the real great parts of his game are te parts the Rhinos are not going to make much use of i.e. passing and Game reading - that seems very strange for a professional club?

Walker's class is his balanced running style and his basic speed not unlike Kalum that is not something you can coach - funny how Walker has played as many first team games as the outstanding player of his peer group? Real class is not a moment in time its permanent,'"

He isn't in the U16's, he is in the 19's, and he wasn't the biggest when in the U16's. He was big but not the biggest, and he did play the pivot at that time.

I also said, they were the best parts of his game at Junior level, I didn't say now. Infact I was quite clear he is on a programme at the Rhinos, changing parts of his game.

Walker is a class player. And one I hope will be at the top for years, but he unlike Smith needs to add the physicality yet, which is the part that effects other areas. As is the same with other class players still to come through.

You are totally correct in your last sentence, so why on earth are you making these postings writing off young players?

RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2023Jun 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Quote: Gotcha "He isn't in the U16's, he is in the 19's, and he wasn't the biggest when in the U16's. He was big but not the biggest, and he did play the pivot at that time.

I also said, they were the best parts of his game at Junior level, I didn't say now. Infact I was quite clear he is on a programme at the Rhinos, changing parts of his game.

Walker is a class player. And one I hope will be at the top for years, but he unlike Smith needs to add the physicality yet, which is the part that effects other areas. As is the same with other class players still to come through.

You are totally correct in your last sentence, so why on earth are you making these postings writing off young players?'"

Smith wasn't the pivot for the Leeds U16s did he ever play in the halves in the U16s? Walker played more games in the halves than Smith.

Because so many are over hyped and that view of them as youngsters sticks with them , If he doesn't turn into the superstar some predicted they will have a lot of egg on your face so they will defend the indefensible until it cannot be legitimately defended anymore. Morgan Smith was another potential superstars - that will not happen - Cameron Smith could well be the same = sometimes we have to admit the best juniors don't turn into the best Seniors. Walker oozes class even Ray Charles can see that - different animal.

RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Nov 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
3043_1291817917.jpg

Quote: Sal Paradise "Smith wasn't the pivot for the Leeds U16s did he ever play in the halves in the U16s? Walker played more games in the halves than Smith.

Because so many are over hyped and that view of them as youngsters sticks with them , If he doesn't turn into the superstar some predicted they will have a lot of egg on your face so they will defend the indefensible until it cannot be legitimately defended anymore. Morgan Smith was another potential superstars - that will not happen - Cameron Smith could well be the same

I don't know why you keep mentioning Jack, I know very well how good he is, I was talking about him long before you had heard of him, and of course he played more games in halfs that was his position, but everything revolved around Smith. He isn't the only one with class ready to step up too. Where you are wrong is what you are saying on Smith, including his size and junior days. The reason the lad is not in the first team is due to injuries, preventing him putting in a performance in the 19's, to give reason to pick him. But as you said class is permanent, and he will come good when settled. Morgan Smith also was already a Super League regular, but again has been injured and therefore out.

RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2023Jun 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Quote: Gotcha "I don't know why you keep mentioning Jack, I know very well how good he is, I was talking about him long before you had heard of him, and of course he played more games in halfs that was his position, but everything revolved around Smith. He isn't the only one with class ready to step up too. Where you are wrong is what you are saying on Smith, including his size and junior days. The reason the lad is not in the first team is due to injuries, preventing him putting in a performance in the 19's, to give reason to pick him. But as you said class is permanent, and he will come good when settled. Morgan Smith also was already a Super League regular, but again has been injured and therefore out.'"

The point about Walker is nobody was talking about him being the next greatest thing as they were about Smith - virtually nobody was suggesting he should be a first team player before the start of this season - what it shows is that some juniors simply don't develop into top players where others don't.

On the size thing and the pivot thing we must agree to differ - he was the stand out player I would agree that is what is so frustrating that the Leeds system struggles to develop players.

So where is he going play in the first team - ahead of JJB, Ward, Ferres, Ablett, Keinhorst, Delanney, Walters you think he will get picked before these?

Morgan Smith was a bit player at Warrington in and out of the side never a starter when they had a full side to pick from a bit like Daniel Smith at Huddersfield

122 posts in 9 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
122 posts in 9 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

4.78271484375:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Film game
karetaker
3m
SL CHAT THREAD OTHER TEAMS GAMES
Jack Burton
6m
Leigh it is
MadDogg
13m
Rumours thread
Kettykat
14m
Squad for HKR
karetaker
26m
Ground Improvements
Kettykat
29m
Guest appearance
Kick and cha
39m
ALL NEW 49ERS ERA LEEDS UTD THREAD
leeds owl
42m
Fev H Play Off
bullinenemyl
56m
Proposed rule changes 2025
leeds owl
FORUM
LAST
VIEW
TOPIC
POSTER
Transfer Talk / Rumour thread V4
ocdstephen
46s
Whitehaven Away
faxcar
50s
Film game
karetaker
57s
Fev H Play Off
bullinenemyl
1m
Play-off semi-final
Wollo-Wollo-
1m
WIRE YED Prediction Competition Hull KR Away Play Off Semi
The Speculat
1m
SL CHAT THREAD OTHER TEAMS GAMES
Jack Burton
2m
ALL NEW 49ERS ERA LEEDS UTD THREAD
leeds owl
3m
Whose going for a beer in Wigan Saturday
Deeeekos
3m
George Williams
just_browny
FORUM
NEW
TOPICS
TOPIC
POSTER
Guest appearance
Kick and cha
TODAY
Squad for HKR
karetaker
TODAY
Proposed rule changes 2025
leeds owl
TODAY
Fev H Play Off
bullinenemyl
TODAY
Whose going for a beer in Wigan Saturday
Deeeekos
TODAY
Play-off semi-final
Wollo-Wollo-
TODAY
Coach of the Year
Kevin Turvey
TODAY
Greatest game ever at HJ
Fantastic Mr
TODAY
World Club Challenge
Barstool Pre
TODAY
WIRE YED Prediction Competition Hull KR Away Play Off Semi
The Speculat
TODAY
2025 Squad
Jimmythecuck
TODAY
2024 Season Review
Jimmythecuck
TODAY
McNamara interview
Jimmythecuck
TODAY
French Elite 1 season 2024/2025 Thread
Jimmythecuck
TODAY
Butcher
TODAY
2025 membership/renewals
Chris71
TODAY
Hull FC ladies
Hessle Roade
TODAY
Kai
Cokey
TODAY
Travel to hull krdoes the club run coache
Bobby Digita
TODAY
Wakefield v Dons - Sunday 29 September 2024
Wanderer
TODAY
The play-offs
Ckt2487
TODAY
This years play off series
matt_wire
TODAY
Leigh it is
MadDogg
TODAY
2024 Southstandercom Prediction Competition Play Off SF
Cokey
TODAY
Must do better
Wires71
TODAY
Warrington Wolves Break Saints Hearts With Golden Point Win
RLFANS News
TODAY
Todays match v Saints
MorePlaymake
NEWS ITEMS
VIEWS
Warrington Wolves Break Saints..
Leigh Leopards Make Play Off P..
Catalans Dragons Finish Sevent..
Hull KR Secure Second With Vic..
Wigan Seal League Leaders Trop..
Wakefield Trinity Sweep Aside ..
Catalans Keep Season Alive Wit..
Salford Ensure Play-Offs And S..
Ruthless Wigan Thrash the Rhin..
Huddersfield Giants Hold Off L..
Salford Close In On The Play O..
Leigh Leopards Up To Fourth Af..
Leeds Rhinos Into the Six Afte..
Wigan Warriors Defeat Hull KR ..
Wane Names Provisional Squad f..
POSTSONLINEREGISTRATIONSRECORD
19.63M +23,359 80,12914,103
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.

When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
RLFANS Match Centre
 Fri 4th Oct
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R29
20:00
Hull KR
v
Warrington
 Sat 5th Oct
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R29
17:30
Wigan
v
Leigh
 Sun 6th Oct
     National Rugby League 2024-R31
09:30
Melbourne
v
Penrith
       League One 2024-R26
15:00
Keighley
v
Hunslet
       Championship 2024-R29
Bradford
v
Featherstone
York
v
Widnes
     Womens Super League 2024-R16
16:30
York V
v
St.HelensW
 Sun 27th Oct
     Mens Internationals 2024-R2
14:30
England M
v
Samoa M
 Sat 2nd Nov
     Womens Internationals 2024-R2
12:00
ENGLAND W
v
WALES W
     Mens Internationals 2024-R3
England M
v
Samoa M
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)
Matches on TV
Fri 4th Oct
SL
20:00
Hull KR-Warrington
Sat 5th Oct
SL
17:30
Wigan-Leigh
Sun 6th Oct
L1
Keighley-Hunslet
WSL2024
16:30
York V-St.HelensW
NRL
09:30
Melbourne-Penrith
Sun 27th Oct
MINT2024
England M-Samoa M
Sat 2nd Nov
MINT2024
England M-Samoa M
Sun 29th Sep
L1 25 Rochdale26-46Hunslet
CH 28 Barrow24-26Widnes
CH 28 Bradford50-0Swinton
CH 28 Dewsbury28-8Sheffield
CH 28 Wakefield72-6Doncaster
CH 28 Whitehaven23-20Halifax
CH 28 York16-6Featherstone
Sat 28th Sep
CH 28 Toulouse64-16Batley
SL 28 Warrington23-22St.Helens
NRL 30 Penrith26-6Cronulla
Fri 27th Sep
SL 28 Salford6-14Leigh
NRL 30 Melbourne48-18Sydney
Sun 22nd Sep
CH 27 Batley28-14Swinton
CH 27 Halifax14-10Bradford
CH 27 Swinton20-22Doncaster
L1 24 Hunslet18-14Midlands
L1 24 Keighley26-22Rochdale
WSL2024 15 LeedsW10-12York V
WSL2024 15 St.HelensW18-4WiganW
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Mens Betfred Super League XXVIII ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wigan 27 721 336 385 44
Warrington 28 761 341 420 42
Hull KR 27 719 327 392 42
Leigh 28 580 404 176 33
Salford 28 556 561 -5 32
St.Helens 28 618 411 207 30

Catalans 27 475 427 48 30
Leeds 27 530 488 42 28
Huddersfield 27 468 658 -190 20
Castleford 27 425 735 -310 15
Hull FC 27 328 894 -566 6
LondonB 27 317 916 -599 6
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Betfred Championship 2024 ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wakefield 26 1010 262 748 50
Toulouse 25 744 368 376 35
Bradford 26 678 387 291 34
York 27 655 469 186 30
Widnes 26 551 475 76 29
Featherstone 26 622 500 122 28

Sheffield 26 626 526 100 28
Doncaster 26 498 619 -121 25
Halifax 26 509 650 -141 22
Batley 26 422 591 -169 22