Mar 200322 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Aug 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
4615.jpg
:4615.jpg

Quote: digger47 " A halfback that can make the break is worth is wait in gold. '"

Agreed. But can Lilley?

Aside from the welcome interceptions when else has he looked to, let alone succeeded in, taking the line on. On the Hull thread I noted the first time (and in slippery conditions) was around the hour mark - his only other run I recalled that day was when kick pressure from Hull forced him to run instead.

Leeds' last three games have all been on Sky so those with examples of this alleged break making ability should be able to reference them here - no?

RankPostsTeam
International Star1439No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 201410 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2019Feb 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: charlienimb "No doubt this guy has a great football brain......but for a halfback he is so painfully slow !
On several occasions against Huddersfield he broke the line and was easily caught by the opposition. Given the same freedom all the truly great halfbacks would have strolled over the whitewash once in the clear....is the lad a smoker !'"

Thing is though if we were playing well then we would have had players in support, Watkins on the left and Golding and Sutcliffe in the middle and Handley on the right are all quick enough to finish off breaks but none were there in support when breaks were made (except Golding and Sutcliffe on one occasion but their defence had tracked back well)

RankPostsTeam
International Star1439No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 201410 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2019Feb 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: tvoc "Agreed. But can Lilley?

Aside from the welcome interceptions when else has he looked to, let alone succeeded in, taking the line on. On the Hull thread I noted the first time (and in slippery conditions) was around the hour mark - his only other run I recalled that day was when kick pressure from Hull forced him to run instead.

Leeds' last three games have all been on Sky so those with examples of this alleged break making ability should be able to reference them here - no?'"

Cronk, JT, Reynolds etc. all top players but hardly make any breaks- only make breaks when the defence opens up because of a miss read
Youve got Sutcliffe, Mcguire(if his new injury hasnt completely killed his pace), Burrow, and our (supposedly world class) backline to make breaks

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member22289
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200322 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Aug 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
4615.jpg

Have you seen Melbourne's likely future half-back post the Cooper Cronk era a lad called Scott Drinkwater?

He would be an NRL equivalent to Jordan Lilley and IMO he (Drinkwater) is the real deal. It's really scary how mediocrity is increasingly the acceptable standard in SL.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach7069
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2023Dec 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

[quote="Odemwingie":34o3cs52] I hope his career is over.(regarding danny mcguires injury 2010 play offs)[/quote:34o3cs52] [quote="Ewwenorfolk":34o3cs52] I'm glad McGuire got injured, hope he's out for about 10 months[/quote:34o3cs52] [quote="Bulls4Champs2010":34o3cs52]Price, Civ, Beaver, Moz and Wiki. Peacock is not in the catagory of these special players.[/quote:34o3cs52] [quote="McLaren_Field":34o3cs52] To be fair, their teams are also inconsequential to their own fans judging by the amount of traffic that all the other boards get [/quote:34o3cs52] [quote="Warrington Wolf":34o3cs52]If you win the weekly rounds then without doubt you are the champions.[/quote:34o3cs52]:

Quote: tvoc "Have you seen Melbourne's likely future half-back post the Cooper Cronk era a lad called Scott Drinkwater?

He would be an NRL equivalent to Jordan Lilley and IMO he (Drinkwater) is the real deal. It's really scary how mediocrity is increasingly the acceptable standard in SL.'"

Exactly! It's not as if the likes of Peta Godinet are getting starting gigs at Halfback and scoring Try's in the NRL! Or Jorden Rankin being a standout performer when the Tigers beat Souths!

Whatever next? a solid but not spectacular Hooker from a mid table SL rabble team will be leading the Daly M's!

a046.gif

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member1830No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2020Aug 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
1734.jpg
It's hard to sing with an 'oofer on yer back!:1734.jpg

Quote: Mark Laurie "if sutcliffe can be half as good as that other son of hunslet, mick shoebottom all will be well for the next decade.'"

Agreed but atm he doesn't even look like 5% as good icon_sad.gif

RankPostsTeam
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200322 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Aug 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
4615.jpg

Quote: sgtwilko "Exactly! It's not as if the likes of Peta Godinet are getting starting gigs at Halfback and scoring Try's in the NRL!'"

Is Godinet getting starting gigs and scoring tries or has he so far had just the one appearance at stand-off after Manly chose to move Dylan Walker to full-back to cover the absence of Brett Stewart. Those weeks when Cherry-Evans was missing oddly didn't present an opportunity for Godinet to fill in at half-back though so let's see if he gets an extended run now in the halves.

Quote: sgtwilko "
Or Jorden Rankin being a standout performer when the Tigers beat Souths!'"

Rankin wouldn't be the only overseas player to flounder on Humberside. He's looked a much better player on the Tigers wing, at least when not faced with two balls on the pitch.

Quote: sgtwilko "Whatever next? a solid but not spectacular Hooker from a mid table SL rabble team will be leading the Daly M's!
'"

He weren't even that in SL but now acclimatised to what is required to succeed in the NRL he is an entirely different proposition and a fine example to other aspiring brits. The way points are awarded in the Dally M's could skew the resulting overall table but no disputing his early season importance to the Raiders.

Getting back to Lilley though how would you rate his potential against a jack in the box like Drinkwater?

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach7069
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2023Dec 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

[quote="Odemwingie":34o3cs52] I hope his career is over.(regarding danny mcguires injury 2010 play offs)[/quote:34o3cs52] [quote="Ewwenorfolk":34o3cs52] I'm glad McGuire got injured, hope he's out for about 10 months[/quote:34o3cs52] [quote="Bulls4Champs2010":34o3cs52]Price, Civ, Beaver, Moz and Wiki. Peacock is not in the catagory of these special players.[/quote:34o3cs52] [quote="McLaren_Field":34o3cs52] To be fair, their teams are also inconsequential to their own fans judging by the amount of traffic that all the other boards get [/quote:34o3cs52] [quote="Warrington Wolf":34o3cs52]If you win the weekly rounds then without doubt you are the champions.[/quote:34o3cs52]:

Quote: tvoc "Is Godinet getting starting gigs and scoring tries or has he so far had just the one appearance at stand-off after Manly chose to move Dylan Walker to full-back to cover the absence of Brett Stewart. Those weeks when Cherry-Evans was missing oddly didn't present an opportunity for Godinet to fill in at half-back though so let's see if he gets an extended run now in the halves.

Rankin wouldn't be the only overseas player to flounder on Humberside. He's looked a much better player on the Tigers wing, at least when not faced with two balls on the pitch.

He weren't even that in SL but now acclimatised to what is required to succeed in the NRL he is an entirely different proposition and a fine example to other aspiring brits. The way points are awarded in the Dally M's could skew the resulting overall table but no disputing his early season importance to the Raiders.

Getting back to Lilley though how would you rate his potential against a jack in the box like Drinkwater?'"

I was only being mischievous mate.

Not seen enough of Drinkwater to give an honest opinion.

RankPostsTeam
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200322 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Aug 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
4615.jpg

Me neither to be fair but so far one of them reminds me of Shaun Johnson the other reminds me of Paul McShane.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner610No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2022Mar 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Sent back through time to rid the world of bovine related sports teams:

Drinkwater looks very much the next world class Australian half back but to compare him to Lilley is somewhat unfair and unnecessary. If you had judged the merits of Kevin Sinfield by comparison with say Darren Lockyer (slight difference in age I know but the contrasts are similar), you would have judged Sinfield to be relatively worthless.
Lilley has strength, reasonable timing, reasonable feet and can creatively pass the ball (which more than you can say to about George Williams). He appears to lack pace, which will be a hindrance to his progression but the aforementioned Mr. Sinfield managed to get past that.
If Lilley hasn't found his niche in a few years time, I'd be worried but for now, he needs to learn his trade.
In my opinion, one of the reasons we are failing to produce high quality creative players is purely down to coaching and a willingness to persevere with young talent. Is it a coincidence that Hodgson looks so much better in the NRL? of the Burgess brothers?I don't think so. In between William's leg pulling exercises, he sites the lack of reserve team football as a factor in the lack of standards. Along with the general lack of coaching standards, I would agree with him.

RankPostsTeam
International Star11412No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2021Jul 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

"The Golden Generation finally has its Golden Fleece! They have Wembley Cup Final winners medals to add to their collection." 23/08/2014:

Quote: Andy Gilder "This seems to be an entire thread of people complaining about slagging Lilley off, in which nobody has slagged Lilley off.

Classic Southstander.'"

Except the opening post of course criticising his speed and questioning if he must be a smoker?

And now Tvoc's is in "I've written him off before so I've stubbornly got to stick to that view" mode. Remember him being very critical of the lad as a goal kicker for missing his conversion in the WCC, wonder what he thinks of Lilley's kick percentage now?

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach3813No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2020Feb 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: tvoc "Have you seen Melbourne's likely future half-back post the Cooper Cronk era a lad called Scott Drinkwater?

He would be an NRL equivalent to Jordan Lilley and IMO he (Drinkwater) is the real deal. It's really scary how mediocrity is increasingly the acceptable standard in SL.'"

Judge Lilley when he's spent time playing next to McGuire. He already looks very promising imo, but if you're talking about the NRL look at 19-year-old Jackson Hastings who struggled terribly when he was playing with another inexperienced half but suddenly looked the business when Mitchell Pearce came back. I haven't seen Drinkwater, but if you put Lilley behind the Melbourne pack and next to Cam Smith (the real one) and Blake Green in a Bellamy-coached side then I imagine he'd look pretty good to you too.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain1421No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 20159 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2021Oct 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Biff Tannen "He is full of confidence for a 19 year old, he is mature beyond his years. I try not to pick his game apart, he is going to make mistakes and sure, he lacks a bit of pace, but i try to imagine what this lad could be like with 100 games plus under his belt at 22/23 years old he could be top notch.'"

Agree. In a tough situation he has produced a lot more than I thought he would do this year and to be honest was capable of. Deserves the chance to show more as year goes on and think he will get a gig with McGuire subject to fitness. Sutcliffe off bench. My Mick shoebottom ref was probably an unfair comparison for sutcliffe

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4938
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2018Mar 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
18261_1413138907.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_18261.jpg

Some perspective is required here.

Super League playing standards are dreadful and have been getting worse year on year IMO since around 2006.

A huge factor in this slide alongside a Salary Cap stuck in 1999 figures is the disappearance of a lot of ex-NRL players of a decent standard and, more importantly, the complete disappearance of NRL standard assistant coaches.

Given the current diabolical playing standards in Super League, no amount of Kirkstall flooding, loss of familiar facilities, ordinary coaching, loss of three geriatrics from the squad, training alongside sun-tan injecting mincers, Whipping Boy SL Rabble Rousing emotional interviews and speeches from JJB attempting to add credibility to this season's performances, SPOTY, Kiwis or injuries should have conspired to place Leeds in their current predicament of being placed bottom of Super League after 13 rounds.

That's right... think about it... BOTTOM OF ******* SUPER LEAGUE AFTER 13 ROUNDS!!!

Apart from the lack of good coaching, how S**T must Lilley, Sutcliffe and the rest of the younger brigade be to deliver 12th and bottom place on the current SL ladder?

Yet sundry morons on here are comparing Lilley with the likes of Wally Lewis, Johnathan Thurston, Cooper Cronk and Adam Reynolds and claiming the future is bright?

Really?

RankPostsTeam
International Star4239No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 201312 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

实事求是!:

The standards in super league are sky high. The current treble winners, with all their quality players are bottom of the table. Last years relegation stragglers beat the runners up by 60 points.

icon_biggrin.gifANCE:

164 posts in 12 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
164 posts in 12 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

3.88134765625:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Leigh it is
Cokey
28m
Grand final Tickets
NickyKiss
Recent
Season tickets
Ilkley Fax
Recent
TV Games - Not Hull
bishops fing
Recent
Squads - Leopards v Warriors
micktheleyth
Recent
Wigan win academy final
Simba16
Recent
Film game
Boss Hog
Recent
Tonights match v HKR
RobRiches
Recent
Betting 2024
karetaker
Recent
ALL NEW 49ERS ERA LEEDS UTD THREAD
leedsbarmyar
FORUM
LAST
VIEW
TOPIC
POSTER
Decision on the field
MR FRISK
1m
micktheleyth
1m
TV Games - Not Hull
bishops fing
1m
Fev H Play Off
Bully_Boxer
1m
2024 IMG gradings
Victor
1m
Refs referring it to video as a try or not
Barstool Pre
1m
TV games not Wire
Cherry_Warri
1m
Championship Awards
FIL
2m
Who do you want to win the Grand Final
morleys_deck
2m
Grand final Tickets
NickyKiss
FORUM
NEW
TOPICS
TOPIC
POSTER
Wigan Humiliate Leigh For Grand Final Place
RLFANS News
TODAY
Refs referring it to video as a try or not
Barstool Pre
TODAY
Questions for Ste Mills
PopTart
TODAY
Decision on the field
MR FRISK
TODAY
Who do you want to win the Grand Final
morleys_deck
TODAY
Worst semi
Barstool Pre
TODAY
2025 TRANSFER AND RETENTION RUMOURS
Tony Fax
TODAY
Sam Burgess
morleys_deck
TODAY
Hull KR Survive Warrington Fightback To Secure Grand Final Spot
RLFANS News
TODAY
Squad 2025
Nat (Rugby_A
TODAY
Tonights match v HKR
RobRiches
TODAY
Isa 1 year extension
Trainman
TODAY
2024 IMG gradings
Victor
TODAY
Championship Awards
FIL
TODAY
Season tickets
Ilkley Fax
TODAY
Best Semi
sir adrian m
TODAY
Ben Condon is a Leopard
Jack Gaskell
TODAY
micktheleyth
TODAY
Any decent RL reads for me hols
norbellini
TODAY
Championship Play Off Final
PopTart
TODAY
Man of Steel
matt_wire
TODAY
Guest appearance
AgbriggAmble
TODAY
Squad for HKR
MorePlaymake
NEWS ITEMS
VIEWS
Wigan Humiliate Leigh For Gran..
Hull KR Survive Warrington Fig..
Warrington Wolves Break Saints..
Leigh Leopards Make Play Off P..
Catalans Dragons Finish Sevent..
Hull KR Secure Second With Vic..
Wigan Seal League Leaders Trop..
Wakefield Trinity Sweep Aside ..
Catalans Keep Season Alive Wit..
Salford Ensure Play-Offs And S..
Ruthless Wigan Thrash the Rhin..
Huddersfield Giants Hold Off L..
Salford Close In On The Play O..
Leigh Leopards Up To Fourth Af..
Leeds Rhinos Into the Six Afte..
POSTSONLINEREGISTRATIONSRECORD
19.64M 3,240 ↓-19380,13214,103
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.

When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
RLFANS Match Centre
 TODAY
     National Rugby League 2024-R31
09:30
Melbourne
v
Penrith
       League One 2024-R26
15:00
Keighley
v
Hunslet
       Championship 2024-R29
Bradford
v
Featherstone
     Womens Super League 2024-R16
16:30
York V
v
St.HelensW
 Sat 12th Oct
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R30
18:00
Hull KR
v
Wigan
 Sun 27th Oct
     Mens Internationals 2024-R2
14:30
England M
v
Samoa M
 Sat 2nd Nov
     Womens Internationals 2024-R2
12:00
ENGLAND W
v
WALES W
     Mens Internationals 2024-R3
England M
v
Samoa M
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)
Matches on TV
Sun 6th Oct
L1
Keighley-Hunslet
WSL2024
16:30
York V-St.HelensW
NRL
09:30
Melbourne-Penrith
Sat 12th Oct
SL
18:00
Hull KR-Wigan
Sun 27th Oct
MINT2024
England M-Samoa M
Sat 2nd Nov
MINT2024
England M-Samoa M
Sat 5th Oct
CH 29 York27-10Widnes
SL 29 Wigan38-0Leigh
Fri 4th Oct
SL 29 Hull KR10-8Warrington
Sun 29th Sep
L1 25 Rochdale26-46Hunslet
CH 28 Barrow24-26Widnes
CH 28 Bradford50-0Swinton
CH 28 Dewsbury28-8Sheffield
CH 28 Wakefield72-6Doncaster
CH 28 Whitehaven23-20Halifax
CH 28 York16-6Featherstone
Sat 28th Sep
CH 28 Toulouse64-16Batley
SL 28 Warrington23-22St.Helens
NRL 30 Penrith26-6Cronulla
Fri 27th Sep
SL 28 Salford6-14Leigh
NRL 30 Melbourne48-18Sydney
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Mens Betfred Super League XXVIII ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wigan 28 759 336 423 46
Hull KR 28 729 335 394 44
Warrington 29 769 351 418 42
Leigh 29 580 442 138 33
Salford 28 556 561 -5 32
St.Helens 28 618 411 207 30

Catalans 27 475 427 48 30
Leeds 27 530 488 42 28
Huddersfield 27 468 658 -190 20
Castleford 27 425 735 -310 15
Hull FC 27 328 894 -566 6
LondonB 27 317 916 -599 6
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Betfred Championship 2024 ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wakefield 26 1010 262 748 50
Toulouse 25 744 368 376 35
Bradford 26 678 387 291 34
York 28 682 479 203 32
Widnes 27 561 502 59 29
Featherstone 26 622 500 122 28

Sheffield 26 626 526 100 28
Doncaster 26 498 619 -121 25
Halifax 26 509 650 -141 22
Batley 26 422 591 -169 22