FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

FORUMS > Leeds Rhinos > So tonight then.....
133 posts in 10 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
RankPostsTeam
International Star87No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 201114 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2014May 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: G1 "Dull as dishwater. Another one that left me questioning why bother with a season ticket.

'"

Surprised its taken you this long to query that. Leeds season doesn't begin until September. You'd be better off just buying a ticket for Old Trafford each year!

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach162No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200817 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2019Sep 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

I'm surprised no-ones mentioned the fact that the Rovers players only had to get back 5 yards all night no wonder they kept up the intensity all night and were on top of us before we'd even had chance to pass the ball!

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5526No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2019Mar 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: casben "I'm surprised no-ones mentioned the fact that the Rovers players only had to get back 5 yards all night no wonder they kept up the intensity all night and were on top of us before we'd even had chance to pass the ball!'"

True...but it's up to the team to find some guile to overcome this. As per in the immortal words of Stevo why not 'chip over the top' ..or try some Dobson like kicks behind the line to get the opposition back tracking? There can be no excuse for the lack of ideas near the line, epitomised tonight by, what?, 30 consecutive tackles? Hopeless. icon_cry.gif

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4938
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2018Mar 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
18261_1413138907.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_18261.jpg

According to the usual suspects on Sky, the game was utterly compelling and edge-of-seat stuff just like yesterday's Warrington V Widnes game. Super League just keeps throwing up all these entertaining games and providing exciting shocks and what a fantastic round it's been so far.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5526No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2019Mar 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: William Eve "According to the usual suspects on Sky, the game was utterly compelling and edge-of-seat stuff just like yesterday's Warrington V Widnes game. Super League just keeps throwing up all these entertaining games and providing exciting shocks and what a fantastic round it's been so far.'"

This has been one of the poorest seasons I can remember....such poor fayre but yet Leeds are still guaranteed to finish in their highest position under McDermott's tenure. A sad reflection of the sliding SL standards IMO.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member17230No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Nov 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
3043_1291817917.jpg
#frostiesbitches We know who you are.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_3043.jpg

Quote: Ferdy "Just got back from the game and we were really poor. The attack worries me, there is no fluidity in the plays and passes. In the first half our short kicking game was poor. BJB appeared to make more yards going backwards than forward, but from what I saw he appeared to just get hospital passes all night. Burrow and kev passing was very sluggish. Burrow I liked his effort in defence in the first half, but his running across the line cutting out options is getting a bit repetitive, it is a dangerous weapon, but I feel he needs to be more selective with his darts. Forwards were poor and I hope we buy a decent hooker because for me neither mcshane or burrow are the answer in that position'"

Compare and contrast to Dobson. Swap Burrow for Dobson and we would have won that by a cricket score, regardless of how Hull KR defend.

The obsession with going left to Hall was frustrating as hell. Hall is a great finisher in the main, a supremely powerful athlete. But he has no rugby brain at all, he simply can not read a game. We should mix it up and utilise the right.

Mind you one of the few times we went right, Burrow did his impression of never being to specsavers running to the southstand. A 15 yard pass to Duckworth and he was in. But no Burrow has to hold hold hold, then put it at the lads legs, when he had given up any hope of Burrow passing. A bombed opportunity, not the wingers fault.

The halfs until Sinfields brilliant last 15 minutes performance were just awful, and it is hard to have a go at others because the main receivers just didn't move the team around, and quite frankly had nothing in their locker.

RankPostsTeam
International Star6848No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2023Jul 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
68072_1442575000.jpg
What you looking at?....Butt Head!!:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_68072.jpg

It was all very slow and predictable, you could see what was coming a mile away.either Burrow would pick it up from dummy half and zip along the line before getting smashed or giving a hospital pass to a forward who was static,or Sinfield would get the ball in what seemed like slow motion and pass it out the back to either BJB or Sutcliffe time and time again.The KR defence, solid as it was, had a very easy time of reading what we were going to do.

Again,Watkins was not seeing enough of the ball.one of the biggest threats in the league its criminal how underused he is,i dont recall him brought into play during any of those five or six consecutive sets we had on their line in the second half.

im Trying not to read too much into it as we have been here before in recent years but hopefully after the week off and getting some more bodys back we can kick it up a gear or two for last two games before the play offs.

RankPostsTeam
International Star6848No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2023Jul 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
68072_1442575000.jpg

Quote: William Eve "According to the usual suspects on Sky, the game was utterly compelling and edge-of-seat stuff just like yesterday's Warrington V Widnes game. Super League just keeps throwing up all these entertaining games and providing exciting shocks and what a fantastic round it's been so far.'"

Well, to be fair i thought both games would have been routine wins for Wire and Leeds and they were poor choices for the TV games, but no matter how well you consider those two teams to have played both games were contests and the result was in doubt going into the last 5-10 minutes.Isnt that we have all been crying out for over the past few years? Much better than watching a one sided drubing if you ask me, even if my team lost and the standards were down a bit.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach957No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2017Apr 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
46175_1377012137.jpg
"I like that boulder-that is a nice boulder":d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_46175.jpg

Quote: casben "I'm surprised no-ones mentioned the fact that the Rovers players only had to get back 5 yards all night no wonder they kept up the intensity all night and were on top of us before we'd even had chance to pass the ball!'"

If that's 5 yards I hope you don't fit carpets icon_rolleyes.gif

RankPostsTeam
International Star4239No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 201312 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

实事求是!:

William eve's sarcasm on the matter is not appreciated.

This constant nostalgia and obsession with it ''being better back in the day'' is getting ridiculous. So much so that the early years of super league are now almost considered halycon days.

I think back to earlier times, say 2005, leeds could toss it off and play completley flat like they did last night but still win easily by 40 or 50 points, and they did so on many occasions. Back then people would bemoan the lack of competition, why can't the games be closer? why can't there be more upsets?

You can't win.

RankPostsTeam
International Star1906No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

At the moment we seem a bit clueless with ball in hand, we just pass it along the line and hope a gap will appear, or someone will miss a tackle. Burrow in spite of his running across the line is trying to make something happen.
Our running from the play the ball was slow and predictable, credit to the rovers aggressive defence they did a good job on us. Our forwards were second best apart from JP.
So it looks like the fourth spot beckons with the prospect of a trip to the giants, things will have to improve or we will win nowt this season.
BM said in his post match interveiw that rovers had stopped some of the moves we were trying to do, unfortunately I could not see any of these moves. So rovers must have been spectacular successful or the moves were non existant.

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman503
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Apr 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
1340.gif
:1340.gif

First we are in that part of the year when the only people that seem to care about the rugby on show are the supporters. We are all aware that coded talk of peaking for the play offs and timing our run actually translates as we are going to finish 4th so we are going to play well within ourselves and keep plenty in the tank for the playoffs.

But at least we are used to it by now, and buy season tickets well aware that the dull rubbish served up last night comes as part of the package. They could even add that as a feature of membership on the marketing material and no one would bat an eyelid.

The ineptness with the ball last night was not an isolated one off, its the biggest issue this team have had under this coaching set up.

BJB had a bad night, and his defensive lapse was embarrassing, but the diabolical quality of ball he received was directly responsible for him consistently getting smashed.

Watkins (and Duckworth) were criminally underused, the failure to pass the ball right quickly and accurately is the kind of issue an U13's team should have not a team of internationals.

I had my doubts about McGuire coming back this season, but frankly it cannot come quick enough. Even if he is on one leg at least he has developed a range of passing and play-making that we so desperately need to open up defences; and if he does get picked it will surely see the end of McShane who cannot seem to put a foot right playing at HQ.

RankPostsTeam
International Star6848No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2023Jul 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
68072_1442575000.jpg

Quote: Backwoodsman "At the moment we seem a bit clueless with ball in hand, we just pass it along the line and hope a gap will appear, or someone will miss a tackle. Burrow in spite of his running across the line is trying to make something happen.
Our running from the play the ball was slow and predictable, credit to the rovers aggressive defence they did a good job on us. Our forwards were second best apart from JP.
So it looks like the fourth spot beckons with the prospect of a trip to the giants, things will have to improve or we will win nowt this season.
BM said in his post match interveiw that rovers had stopped some of the moves we were trying to do, unfortunately I could not see any of these moves. So rovers must have been spectacular successful or the moves were non existant.'"

The only 'moves' as such i saw was the one with the player linking out the back which is simple and can be effective if done correctly( see Wigan) but moves like this only work off the back off good forward drives, quick play the balls, and forwards running good decoy lines to put doubt in the defenders minds.We had none of that hence the ease at which it was snuffed out time and again.

Fair play to KR though.They turned up with the right attitude and worked really hard for one another to get the result and fully deserved it.

DHM
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach8893
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2024Apr 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
25511_1478008518.jpg
"Well, I think in Rugby League if you head butt someone there's normally some repercusions":d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_25511.jpg

That made me laugh. Talk about trying to polish a t**d.

DHM
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach8893
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2024Apr 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
25511_1478008518.jpg
"Well, I think in Rugby League if you head butt someone there's normally some repercusions":d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_25511.jpg

Awful game, not helped by Silverwood forgetting there is an off side rule in rugby league. Highlighted the few times Leeds did manage to play the ball quickly and Rovers defenders simply didn't bother to retire.

Leeds delivery from dummy half has to be the slowest and worst in the league. We have tried every f*****r in the team in theat position and there isn't one that can deliver a pass quickly and accurately. And why start with McShane at 9 and then replace him so quickly? It was hilarious watching tiny Rob trying to pinch one from dummy half.

Why did we move BJB to fullback? He can't tackle and watching him trying to act as a link in attack was hilarious. Why move Hardaker? He's been outstanding at FB, absolute catastrophe - stick Ablett at centre (where he belongs) - it's worked for the last several years!!!!

An honest appraisal of the game would be two poor attacking teams, one managed to kick two more goals than the other (gifted of course). HKR never looked like scoring a try - of the two they did score one should clearly have gone to the video ref to review and be dissalowed and the second was awful defence - both surreal and completely unbelieveable. Leeds were unable to work out how to deal with a defence that didn't fall off in the tackle and managed to evade any offside laws and HKR had absolutely no attacking threat at all. HKR deserved the result, just.
Grim end of season rubbish.

133 posts in 10 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
133 posts in 10 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

17.37548828125:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Leigh it is
MattyB
8m
Rumours thread
Trojan Horse
11m