FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

FORUMS > Leeds Rhinos > We need another star.....
85 posts in 7 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach3813No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2020Feb 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: tvoc "I'd have to check but it's possible there was a short period inbetween Dewhurst and Bamford - a matter of a couple of weeks at the most - with perhaps David Ward and Alan Smith left in temporary charge.

'"

That's why I thought it might be a trick question, because I have a vague (very vague) memory of that being the case, and David Ward would, thanks to later events, fit into the "which sacked Leeds coach" formula...

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach15864No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Oct 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10145_1279728778.png
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_10145.png

Quote: Niesche "Hi there. This is my first post on this forum, been reading for a while but after Saturday's win and all the recent negative rubbish that's been spouted on the other boards (particularly by Wigan fans) i felt compelled to say something.

Been watching Leeds since i was 9 years old ('83) so like many on here i remember all too well the years of being 'nearly men' and the many hidings the team took in big matches (especially a certain Premiership final against Wigan at OT i think that we lost something like 69-10?). Needless to say i'm delighted to be a Leeds fan in the current era but also, and perhaps more importantly i am delighted to be a rugby league fan. I just cannot understand all these comments from other fans about how Super League is a shambles, the play offs a joke and RL is in a general state of decline. Do they not remember how incredibly tedious it was watching Wigan win everything throughout the late 80's/early 90's (granted Wigan fans probably didn't find it tedious)? Do they seriously want a return to days when the season was over for the majority of clubs come late August, as Wigan were way ahead on points and teams below 3rd had absolutely nothing to play for? And they say the weekly rounds mean nothing now?? Even though Leeds are now the dominant force in terms of SL championships won we at least have Saints, Bradford and Wigan having won the title over the past 12 years not to mention the dominance of Wire in the Challenge Cup as well.

While the current play off system may not be perfect, having a top 8 play off position up for grabs as an incentive for clubs in the lower half of the table means that at least there is something to play for come season end. Not only that but the Grand Final is fast becoming a 'must see' event on the sporting calendar, not just for RL fans but for sports fans in general. I suppose what i'm trying to say in a roundabout way is that Rugby League is a fantastic product, Leeds Rhinos are a fantastic team, and the playoffs/Grand Final is a fantastic and compelling spectacle. I feel it is petty and churlish of those who fail to acknowledge these positives. I love this game and i love this team, it would do some people a lot of good to remember just how bleak RL was in the not too distant past.'"

I agree with a lot of that. The GF got a lot of exposure on the BBC on Saturday morning, and again on Sunday. It provides a real showcase event to show RL at its best.

I love the people saying that the 5th placed team winning SL invalidates the play-offs. If anything it re-enforces it for me. When it was 1vs2 year after year, that didn't enforce the play-offs. But now, we have a place where anything can happen. I think the top 5 are closer now than at any other stage, and all can win big games away at their rivals. PLaying best when it matters against your biggest rivals gets you the ultimate prize

DHM
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach8893
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2024Apr 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
25511_1478008518.jpg
"Well, I think in Rugby League if you head butt someone there's normally some repercusions":d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_25511.jpg

Haven't posted in a while, the last 6 months have been frankly not the best and recently I haven't felt up to it (nothing to do with the rugby, but not to be discussed here).

However, the win on Saturday and (even more so) the win against Wigan actually lifted me lot. I wouldn't have been bothered if we had lost against Wigan or against Warrington, but I was surprised how much the wins cheered me up. For that I am very greatful, I know the lads didn't do it for me in person but thanks anyway. This year I just knew we would win - only in 2009 have I ever felt like that before. Of all our GF's this was the one I was most confident about - I don't know why, but I just knew we would pressure Warrington and they would make mistakes. I think Warrington top the mistake table this season and in GF's you can't make many and win.

This seemed a relevent thread to comment on as I started watching Leeds back in '82 - just in time for the crossbar semi aginst Widnes, and the tremendous years of almost pantomime fun that followed. How things have changed.

Yesterday I proudly wore my signed 2004 Mark Calderwood playing shirt I bought off Puig a few years ago while I refereed a load of 9 year olds at our festival and thoroughly enjoyed the whole day (despite the stress of having to organise most of the thing myself). When it came to our age group final our lads took on their biggest rivals, but what would normally have been 14 minutes of pure tension were a pleasure. Like with the Rhinos on Saturday, I knew we would win and the boys toughed it out and scored a simply sublime try to win 1-0. Just like the Rhinos our lads defended like demons, we made more metres without the ball than with and and took the one clear chance in the game.

To answer a question about the Challenge Cup and why can't we perform in that final? I think the answer is pretty obvious isn't it? At the moment it's momentum. The semi final for the CC is months before the final and in betwen are the regular rounds of the league. The CC is not the end of season finale it used to be and I simply don't believe that Leeds can focus on the CC. The playoffs are a different animal, it's the end of your season if you lose - that's it - over. The level of intensity over 3 or 4 games simply ramps up and up one week to the next and it's something our players are highly tuned to and extremely good at. If you look back you could say that if we hadn't lost Peacock and McGuire late season in 2010 we might realistically be sitting here on 6 straight Championships. I find it spooky the way many of those GF wins resemble each other. This year and last year are remarkable. Leeds coming from behind in the last 20-25 minutes, Ablett taking a short ball from the hooker to crash over (Buderus last year, Lunt this year), Ryan Hall finishing a fantastic try late in the game etc. Ali used to have a habit of crashing over around the 55 minute mark on the left. I guess these things don't happen by accident, the same players doing the same little things at crucial moments.

I thought mid way through last season that Brian Mac was not the man to get the best out of an ageing squad, but it may be that 5th in the table is where we are realistically at best with the players we have and having everyone fit (which we seem to have), fresh and motivated for the playoffs is really all anyone could get from these guys. BMD is also a great leader and a figurehead for the players. He sets the right example and it's obvious that the key players all respect him. You can't buy that.

Finally, thanks again boys, a good weekend after a lot of $h!t ones recently. Little things can make a difference every now and again. Good luck next year.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member22289
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200322 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Aug 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
4615.jpg
:4615.jpg

Quote: DHM "Haven't posted in a while, the last 6 months have been frankly not the best and recently I haven't felt up to it (nothing to do with the rugby, but not to be discussed here).'"

Sorry to hear that mate. Completely understand but I'd still like to offer my best wishes. Can't afford to lose any of the good guys.

Quote: DHM "That's why I thought it might be a trick question, because I have a vague (very vague) memory of that being the case, and David Ward would, thanks to later events, fit into the "which sacked Leeds coach" formula...'"

Had a look back, Ward and Smith were in temporary charge for longer than I thought. Dewhurst officially 'resigned' in the build up to a Hull game at Headingley after attending a two hour 'clear the air talk' with Harry Jepson and the first team squad after the humiliating 54 - 4 defeat at Wheldon Road.

According to Jepson as reported in the YEP"The players were very forth coming. I think they realise how badly they let the club down. They are anxious to improve the situation and made some points of their own. We still have a very loyal following and they deserve better."[/i

Who knows what points the player's raised but the upshot was the coach was gone within days.

Leeds turned to captain Ward and stalwart Smith to steady the ship as they approached Frank Stanton with an invitation to come over in an advisory capacity for three or four weeks - obviously nowt ever came of that.

Steve Martin and Terry Webb were arriving that week and Gary Moorby was just about on his way in exchange for Tony Burke - smitten in Lancashire although initially it appears not that keen on St Helens.

Frank Stanton had recently gained promotion and according to Jepson his company had said 'to release him for any length of time at this stage was out of the question.' Leeds then switched their attention to Jack Gibson with Joe Warham commenting "He has commitments in Australia for the next month or so but something may develop after that ..... we want the best and we are ready to go a long way to get it."

A few weeks later and the new coach was finally revealed to be non other than Maurice Bamford, all the way from f**king Bramley.

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman22697No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
1140_1361875489.jpg
Leeds Rhinos? 8 for you, Leeds Rhinos! You go, Leeds Rhinos. And none for Castleford Tigers. Bye!:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_1140.jpg

We've now won so many Super League titles that only Cas fans can count them on the fingers of one hand.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach19234No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2016Feb 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
35376_1277564281.gif
[img:35s0tdes]http://i84.servimg.com/u/f84/12/34/74/45/lr200913.gif[/img:35s0tdes]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_35376.gif

Sorry to hear about yer rough time DHM best regards for the future mate!

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member554No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2013Oct 2012LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2103.jpg
You're damned if you do and damned if you don't. So, in other words, don't bother. You don't have to put your hand in the fire to know that its hot.:2103.jpg

Quote: Fetlar "Another exile here.

I remember Widnes nilling us in the Regal Trophy final at a foggy Central Park. That was the closest we got to a trophy in my early days as a supporter. To transform the fortunes of this club from that shambles to one of the best in our game's history is nothing short of miraculous.'"

That was one god awful match! How times have changed!

RankPostsTeam
International Star90No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2012Oct 2012LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: NurseRhino "That was one god awful match! How times have changed!'"

Was that the year we beat Salford in the semi? Or have I made that up?

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member22289
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200322 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Aug 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
4615.jpg
:4615.jpg

Correct - 1991/2. The Salford semi-final I think was my first visit to Valley Parade.

DHM
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach8893
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2024Apr 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
25511_1478008518.jpg
"Well, I think in Rugby League if you head butt someone there's normally some repercusions":d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_25511.jpg

Quote: tvoc "Sorry to hear that mate. Completely understand but I'd still like to offer my best wishes. Can't afford to lose any of the good guys.

'"

Thanks. I'll be back on form at some point.

RankPostsTeam
International Star161No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2012Oct 2012LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
68373_1347290769.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_68373.jpg

Quote: DHM "

Bar an odd exception they all seem to follow a similiar pattern.

Opposition score first (or get the first points). Then somewhere between 20 mins and 35 mins leeds normally post 1/2 tries and begin to look the better team and take control.

The second halfs are normally tit for tat (bar 2007) before leeds scoreing the decisive try normally between 60-75 mins.

RankPostsTeam
International Star549No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2016Apr 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
68506_1348769232.jpg
"He's the best coach I've had... His mix of man-management and his game plan is second to none. Since Brian Mac has been in charge, we've been in every final so far. I love playing for him. I can't praise him enough, I've so much respect for him and I hope he's here for a very long time." Kevin Sinfield 29/9/12:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_68506.jpg

Found a photo of that terrible day:

www.flickr.com/photos/norbet/6326983556/

Looks like 1892!

Found a photo of that terrible day:

www.flickr.com/photos/norbet/6326983556/

Looks like 1892!

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner610No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2022Mar 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Sent back through time to rid the world of bovine related sports teams:

That brings back happy memories of being stood directly next to biggest lunatic I've ever seen at a rugby match. He was a widnes fan but, I wouldn't necessarily blame them for that. Every time they scored, which to be fair was quite a regular occurance in that particular game, he would jump around wildly trying to hit anyone in a leeds shirt he could get near to and flicking half smoked cigarettes in our faces.

A lovely man whose social skills were matched only by the standard of his amateur tattoos, of which he had many. icon_biggrin.gif

Anyway, I'll macth that particularly joyous occassion and raise everyone a Central Park drubbing where Offiah scored ten tries or a Premiership final with a cart horse named Simon Haughton galloping under our sticks from sixty yards out. Such a joy to be a Loiner in those days!

RankPostsTeam
International Star549No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2016Apr 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
68506_1348769232.jpg
"He's the best coach I've had... His mix of man-management and his game plan is second to none. Since Brian Mac has been in charge, we've been in every final so far. I love playing for him. I can't praise him enough, I've so much respect for him and I hope he's here for a very long time." Kevin Sinfield 29/9/12:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_68506.jpg

Quote: Ronzy " Anyway, I'll macth that particularly joyous occassion and raise everyone a Central Park drubbing where Offiah scored ten tries '"

Yep, there for that one too - I think it was later in the same glorious season?

I seem to recall there was a canal or a river or some other filthy Mancunian watercourse outside the Central Park ground. I think it was on that terrible day I was walking next to it with my then girlfriend and her Mum. The word went around that the kick off had been delayed due to the Boat Race coverage on BBC. GF's Mum looks at the canal and announces: "That's ridiculous. And anyway, I can't see any boats!" Lessens the pain a bit.

RankPostsTeam
International Star90No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2012Oct 2012LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Ronzy "... or a Premiership final with a cart horse named Simon Haughton galloping under our sticks from sixty yards out. Such a joy to be a Loiner in those days!'"

With Craig Innes playing at 6?

Seem to remember the only player to come out with credit that day was Esene Faimalo.

85 posts in 7 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
85 posts in 7 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

2.54443359375:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Squad 2024
SingaporeFax
Recent
Hudds
Deadcowboys1
Recent
Game - Song Titles
Wanderer
Recent
BORED The Band Name Game
Wanderer
Recent
Film game
Wanderer
Recent
Odsal lease up for sale
Wigan Bull
Recent
Sheffield A
Wigan Bull
Recent
Hull KR H
NickyKiss
Recent
Recruitment rumours and links
Boss Hog
FORUM
LAST
VIEW
TOPIC
POSTER
Hull KR H
NickyKiss
2m
RD 25 Hull FC H
christopher
2m
BORED The Band Name Game
Wanderer
3m
Call for funds
faxcar
3m
Whitehaven
phe13
4m
Betting 2024
karetaker
5m
Game - Song Titles
Wanderer
5m
Salford H
Steve0
5m
Leeds Rhinos - Away
Dave K.
6m
Squad 2024
SingaporeFax
FORUM
NEW
TOPICS
TOPIC
POSTER
2024 Southstandercom Prediction Competition Week 26
FoxyRhino
TODAY
7pm
PopTart
TODAY
Who do we want in the play-offs
rubber ducki
TODAY
Tomkins last chance
Big Steve
TODAY
Ken Rollin
PopTart
TODAY
Max
PopTart
TODAY
Play-offs
Deeeekos
TODAY
Highlights v Whitehaven
Dunkirk Spir
TODAY
Play offs
newcat
TODAY
George Williams
just_browny
TODAY
WIRE YED Prediction Competition Huddersfield Away
Old Man John
TODAY
Huddersfield Giants Hold Off London Challenge
RLFANS News
TODAY
Salford Close In On The Play Offs As Dragons Crisis Continues
RLFANS News
TODAY
Batley v Dons - Sunday 8 September 2024
AdamH
TODAY
Staying down after head contact
Jake the Peg
TODAY
Broncos Ladies
Deadcowboys1
TODAY
OT players staying down but staying on after treatment
djcool
TODAY
Hull live/Tomlinson
The Dentist
TODAY
Todays match v Saints
ratticusfinc
TODAY
New England RL shirt
The Curtism
TODAY
Reserves Grand Final
Zig
TODAY
Shareholder meetings
Dunkirk Spir
TODAY
Leigh Leopards Up To Fourth After Defeating Castleford Tigers
RLFANS News
NEWS ITEMS
VIEWS
Huddersfield Giants Hold Off L..
Salford Close In On The Play O..
Leigh Leopards Up To Fourth Af..
Leeds Rhinos Into the Six Afte..
Wigan Warriors Defeat Hull KR ..
Wane Names Provisional Squad f..
Leeds Rhinos Ride Their Luck F..
Wigan Warriors Level Top As Ca..
Castleford Tigers Inflict Anot..
Leigh Into the Six After Beati..
Five Into Three - Our Top Six ..
Leigh Leopards Lay Claim To Pl..
Salford Up To Fourth After Dem..
Hull KR Embarrass Saints As Th..
Rhinos Sweep Past the Dragons ..
POSTSONLINEREGISTRATIONSRECORD
19.63M 2,789 80,11314,103
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.

When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
RLFANS Match Centre
 Fri 13th Sep
     National Rugby League 2024-R28
10:50
Penrith
v
Sydney
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R26
20:00
Leigh
v
Hull KR
St.Helens
v
Castleford
Wigan
v
Leeds
 Sat 14th Sep
07:05
Melbourne
v
Cronulla
10:50
NQL Cowboys
v
Newcastle
     Womens Super League 2024-R14
14:00
FeatherstoneW
v
York V
St.HelensW
v
BarrowW
15:00
Hull FC
v
Salford
       Championship 2024-R26
Barrow
v
Whitehaven
Bradford
v
Batley
Dewsbury
v
Swinton
Doncaster
v
Widnes
Featherstone
v
Sheffield
Wakefield
v
York
17:00
Toulouse
v
Halifax
Catalans
v
LondonB
 Sun 15th Sep
07:05
Canterbury
v
Manly
     Womens Super League 2024-R14
12:00
WiganW
v
LeedsW
Hudds W
v
Wire W
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)
Matches on TV
Fri 13th Sep
SL
Leigh-Hull KR
SL
St.Helens-Castleford
SL
Wigan-Leeds
Sat 14th Sep
SL
Hull FC-Salford
SL
Catalans-LondonB
Sun 15th Sep
SL
Huddersfield-Warrington
Fri 20th Sep
SL
Huddersfield-Castleford
SL
Hull FC-Catalans
SL
Hull KR-Leeds
SL
Leigh-St.Helens
SL
Warrington-LondonB
SL
Wigan-Salford
Sun 27th Oct
MINT2024
14:30
England M-Samoa M
Sat 2nd Nov
MINT2024
14:30
England M-Samoa M
Sun 8th Sep
SL 25 Huddersfield22-16LondonB
WSL2024 13 LeedsW52-12FeatherstoneW
WSL2024 13 BarrowW24-4Hudds W
WSL2024 13 WiganW12-16York V
CH 25 Batley0-38Doncaster
CH 25 Halifax34-6Dewsbury
CH 25 Sheffield12-30Bradford
CH 25 Swinton28-8Featherstone
CH 25 Wakefield60-6Whitehaven
CH 25 Widnes6-12York
NRL 27 Manly20-40Cronulla
NRL 27 Newcastle14-6Dolphins
Sat 7th Sep
SL 25 Warrington16-2St.Helens
SL 25 Salford27-12Catalans
WSL2024 13 Wire W0-98St.HelensW
CH 25 Barrow24-36Toulouse
NRL 27 St.George24-26Canberra
NRL 27 Canterbury6-44NQL Cowboys
NRL 27 Penrith18-12Gold Coast
Fri 6th Sep
SL 25 Castleford12-34Leigh
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Mens Betfred Super League XXVIII ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wigan 25 619 336 283 40
Hull KR 25 669 311 358 38
Warrington 25 618 319 299 36
Salford 25 492 479 13 30
Leigh 25 548 362 186 29
St.Helens 25 544 366 178 28

Leeds 25 514 424 90 28
Catalans 25 439 415 24 26
Huddersfield 25 434 582 -148 18
Castleford 25 411 661 -250 15
Hull FC 25 320 812 -492 6
LondonB 25 309 850 -541 6
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Betfred Championship 2024 ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wakefield 23 872 252 620 44
Bradford 23 602 359 243 30
Toulouse 22 624 322 302 29
Widnes 23 499 403 96 27
York 24 609 419 190 26
Featherstone 23 560 452 108 26

Sheffield 23 574 466 108 26
Doncaster 23 440 513 -73 21
Halifax 23 457 579 -122 20
Batley 23 364 497 -133 20