JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 201015 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2022Mar 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
icons3ae4_files/4541-162reymo-msnicons.jpg
If your not cheating, your not trying. Barrie Mcdermott:icons3ae4_files/4541-162reymo-msnicons.jpg

Quote: tvoc "But apart from those positions the forwards are good, yes?'"

Yes other than that the pack looks good!!

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member22289
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200322 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Aug 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
4615.jpg
:4615.jpg

Phew, that's a relief then, I was beginning to think we'll struggle to put a team out next season.

What we appear to have is a team with no structured attack or structured defence. A team seemingly and increasingly incapable of winning without McGuire - although that could just be a coincidence. An absolute triumph of coaching.

As for selecting 'Lee Smith light' on the bench to make only his fourth 1st grade appearance ..... was there a prize on offer for fielding the least experienced player in a Challenge Cup Final?

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner1733No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2022Jan 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
7098.jpg
[quote="G1":1x8x7ghm]Nice one Andy. You articulated a differing opinion given reasons and substance. There's really no place for the likes of you on Substandard. :wink:[/quote:1x8x7ghm]:7098.jpg

Quote: tvoc "Phew, that's a relief then, I was beginning to think we'll struggle to put a team out next season.

What we appear to have is a team with no structured attack or structured defence. A team seemingly and increasingly incapable of winning without McGuire - although that could just be a coincidence. An absolute triumph of coaching.

As for selecting 'Lee Smith light' on the bench to make only his fourth 1st grade appearance ..... was there a prize on offer for fielding the least experienced player in a Challenge Cup Final?'"

Apparently nantwichexile has some incriminating pictures of Bri. He said if he didn't pick Keinhorst, Singleton and Hood he'd show them to the Leeds board. Bri told nantwich he would but Hood & Singleton were playing dual reg games so were unavailable.

They settled on Keinhorst. Sound crazy? So does the fact that we have a fully fit squad bar McGuire and not one player from the top 25 could force themselves into the final 17 over a kid who at best looks raw and while he is obviously talented was in no way ready for that game.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner610No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2022Mar 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Sent back through time to rid the world of bovine related sports teams:

Quote: Andy R "I think the sentence you finish with could apply to Watkins just as easily as Atkins.

I'm playing devils advocate slightly as I'm a huge fan but coaching defence while obviously easier than teaching someone to do things with the ball which Watkins can do isn't as easy as you're making out.

Sal - Quite possibly yes. Saints also got to Burrow a bit defensively and they attacked to the right more than anyone else.'"

Who said it was easy? Certainly, not me. You're confusing statements of fact with criticism, which given my feck wit comment was entirely my own fault.

A quality coach is there to improve the players and can do that job. What we have is a good man, who has some coaching skills but, against quality opposition, he is way out of his depth.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner1733No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2022Jan 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
7098.jpg
[quote="G1":1x8x7ghm]Nice one Andy. You articulated a differing opinion given reasons and substance. There's really no place for the likes of you on Substandard. :wink:[/quote:1x8x7ghm]:7098.jpg

Quote: Ronzy "Who said it was easy? Certainly, not me. You're confusing statements of fact with criticism, which given my feck wit comment was entirely my own fault.

A quality coach is there to improve the players and can do that job. What we have is a good man, who has some coaching skills but, against quality opposition, he is way out of his depth.'"

You implied it was!

I agree by the way, but not all players can or want to be coached to be better defensively. I doubt this is the case with Watkins but I don't know.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5526No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2019Mar 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Andy R "Apparently nantwichexile has some incriminating pictures of Bri. He said if he didn't pick Keinhorst, Singleton and Hood he'd show them to the Leeds board. Bri told nantwich he would but Hood & Singleton were playing dual reg games so were unavailable.

They settled on Keinhorst. Sound crazy? So does the fact that we have a fully fit squad bar McGuire and not one player from the top 25 could force themselves into the final 17 over a kid who at best looks raw and while he is obviously talented was in no way ready for that game.'"

Du bist richtig icon_wink.gif

"Kid" ? He's 22

AJC
RankPostsTeam
Club Owner937No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2024Oct 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
7447_1318587549.jpg
"Not once has anyone whinged, moaned, blamed refs or looked for answers other than what's inside. That's why this is special." - Brian McDermott 08th Oct 2011:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_7447.jpg

Quote: Ronzy "Who said it was easy? Certainly, not me. You're confusing statements of fact with criticism, which given my feck wit comment was entirely my own fault.

A quality coach is there to improve the players and can do that job. What we have is a good man, who has some coaching skills but, against quality opposition, he is way out of his depth.'"

Yet he is the coach of the current SL and world champions!?!
Think I'm with BM on this one

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner610No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2022Mar 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

We all have opinions but, given the games won and last columns, regardless of the championship, I would suggest that BM is not quite up to the job. The specific issue of player development is th mark of a good coach and, to my mind, Watkins has lacked that development.

From what I have seen and heard of him, I can't deny that I have warmed to him. However, my opinion is based purely on what I see on the pitch and, quite frankly, it is never convincing and often a shambles.

RankPostsTeam
International Star274No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2012Aug 2012LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Guardian "Could all be resolved if Watkins played on the left , potential to be one of the best centres in the world if Leeds played him on the left. Saying that he was badly let down by his inside men today , Leeds back row is a major problem area in defence.'"

He's a right centre.

Thought Wire's tries down our right hand side came down to Hodgson's ability to link into the line and create an overlap. Hardaker hasn't quite developed that side of his game yet, hopefully he can learn off Webb while he is still around.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member22289
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200322 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Aug 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
4615.jpg
:4615.jpg

Yes, just as long as he doesn't try to pick up all of Webb's qualities at the same time.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member9565No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2019Dec 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
fonds noir/Buzz Lightyear.gif
:fonds noir/Buzz Lightyear.gif

The two near-identical second half tries scored down the right started from quick PTBs up the middle, and our defence being hopelessly outnumbered by Wire's left-side attack. At the start of the play when they scored their first in the corner in the second half we had 4 players covering the entire right side of the field against about 6 Wire players. All it needed was simple quick passing to draw in players, well executed and we were shafted. Nothing at all Watkins or anyone else individually out wide could have done except possibly go for the big hit/intercept by racing out of the line.

The problems out wide were structural and started with being soft and slow up the middle. Players allowing quick PTBs up the middle, causing defenders to be sucked in and then facing a good attack able to get the ball wide fast and with a plan as to who would do what.

In contrast we looked clueless.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach995No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2012Sep 2012LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

McDermott deserves credit. Since 2010 (hammered in the cup final, out in the playoff semis) we have reached every final available to us, maintained league position with an ageing squad and top players not replaced, against other teams who have improved drastically. Since 2010, we have lost:

Scott Donald
Greg Eastwood
Danny Buderus
Keith Senior
Ali Lauitiiti
Matt Diskin
Luke Burgess

while it is arguable that Hardaker, Jones-Bishop and Watkins have come through, similarly high-line players (particularly in the forwards) have not been found. Yet team performance has actually improved. I think that speaks very much for the competency of our coach with the resources at his disposal.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner610No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2022Mar 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Quote: BrisbaneRhino "The two near-identical second half tries scored down the right started from quick PTBs up the middle, and our defence being hopelessly outnumbered by Wire's left-side attack. At the start of the play when they scored their first in the corner in the second half we had 4 players covering the entire right side of the field against about 6 Wire players. All it needed was simple quick passing to draw in players, well executed and we were shafted. Nothing at all Watkins or anyone else individually out wide could have done except possibly go for the big hit/intercept by racing out of the line.

The problems out wide were structural and started with being soft and slow up the middle. Players allowing quick PTBs up the middle, causing defenders to be sucked in and then facing a good attack able to get the ball wide fast and with a plan as to who would do what.

In contrast we looked clueless.'"

This is a perfect summary of my own thoughts.

You could argue that the players lost of recent years counted against the coach and his efforts to move the team forward this year. However, the results (and not just on Saturday) have not shown the team to be equal to the sum of the parts and a truly great coach should be getting more than that.

I may be wrong but, I feel that BM is not capable fo taking this team back to the top.

rpw
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1525No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2013Jul 2013LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Others/g22.gif
GWMC for the Cas n District Snooker League Title....!!! Up the workies !!:Others/g22.gif

Quote: BrisbaneRhino "The two near-identical second half tries scored down the right started from quick PTBs up the middle, and our defence being hopelessly outnumbered by Wire's left-side attack. At the start of the play when they scored their first in the corner in the second half we had 4 players covering the entire right side of the field against about 6 Wire players. All it needed was simple quick passing to draw in players, well executed and we were shafted. Nothing at all Watkins or anyone else individually out wide could have done except possibly go for the big hit/intercept by racing out of the line.

In contrast we looked clueless.'"

Bang on... nail on the head. eusa_clap.gif The structure Warrington had on defence and attack was far far better than ours.

Warrington looked much better in the forwards, Peacock was the only Rhinos forward to make any yards.

JMT
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach813No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: rpw "Bang on... nail on the head.
I agree with the comments about structure on attack and defence. On attack, we always tried to set up to strike on the left, barely trying the right. Whilst Hall is our top try scorer over the past few seasons and most players pass naturally to the left, we have probably more threat, and certainly more pace on the right.

As for the comment about forwards not making ground, certainly that is true. However, having watched the game again I think a big part of the fault lies with the poor service from dummy half where Burrow and sometimes Lunt would almost always pick up the ball and take one, or sometimes two, steps before passing. This gave the Warrington defence ample time to move up. We need a proper hooker - Burrow isn't one and Lunt is no better than McShane (less good, in my opinion).

52 posts in 4 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
52 posts in 4 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

18.14697265625:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Leigh it is
MattyB
7m
Rumours thread
Trojan Horse
10m