FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

FORUMS > Leeds Rhinos > Reserves go down again ....
55 posts in 5 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
G1
RankPostsTeam
International Chairman32302No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2018Oct 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
982.jpg
[quote:1pqtnbtj]Every player in our squad could probably earn more money with another club. But they prefer to sacrifice a few extra quid in their back pocket to share special memories. And playing at a place like Old Trafford on a night like this makes it all worthwhile.[/quote:1pqtnbtj] Kevin Sinfield:982.jpg

Quote: DISA "Is this really a thread you should be commenting on? You know bugger all about juniors or their development. Stick to first team spin from the club, its your only source of information it appears.'"
If that is a criteria for posting delete your username and sell your PC as you know bugger all about anything, misery guts.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member17230No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Nov 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
3043_1291817917.jpg
#frostiesbitches We know who you are.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_3043.jpg

Quote: G1 "misery guts.'"

I bet thats not your worst insult of the day. icon_wink.gif

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1554No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2022Sep 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
41106.jpg
You come at the king - You better not miss. It ain't what you takin', it's who you takin' from, ya feel me? How you expect to run with the wolves come night when you spend all day sparring with the puppies?:41106.jpg

Quote: DISA "I dont get that mate. Its complete boll0x to say we can't produce players every year, and sounds like an excuse.

I already pointed out that we have the biggest service area of any other team in Super League. Unless you are saying that despite that massive service area there is not always a future star every year, then I don't know what you mean.

What you are saying would be true for a club like Saints, Salford, Huddersfield. But not for a club like Leeds with the massive service area we have.

Either we are not identifying the right ones, or we are not coaching them properly to fullfill their development, if we don't have stars produced each year.

We certainly managed it perfectly well for a good 5 years between 2001 and 2006. So what's changed? For a start we went two years without a dedicted head of youth development. For a second we have fulfilled all the coaching roles with inexperienced ex players.'"

I don't think it's that simple - these things are always fairly cyclic IMHO.

Look at football - you have Manchester United who have the best resources in the world for junior development and poach kids from all over the world and yet they don't manage to produce new stars every year (at best they probably get 1-2 every three years). Also like Leeds they produce a lot more players that ultimately go on to play in the lower leagues or at 'lesser' sides.

RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Nov 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
3043_1291817917.jpg

Quote: Vic Mackey "I don't think it's that simple - these things are always fairly cyclic IMHO.

Look at football - you have Manchester United who have the best resources in the world for junior development and poach kids from all over the world and yet they don't manage to produce new stars every year (at best they probably get 1-2 every three years). Also like Leeds they produce a lot more players that ultimately go on to play in the lower leagues or at 'lesser' sides.'"

I don't want to pish on your fire mate, and at lest you have come up with something constructive, but the Man U argument is a myth, and simply not true.

They continually produce the players ready, it is just felt they are not as good as the stars they already have in the team. you can only play 11 players at a time, and they have many more than that regarded as world stars. How many players do you think Man U have out on loan at any one time? They even have feeder clubs in 3 seperate countries in order to accomodate the production line.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1554No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2022Sep 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
41106.jpg
You come at the king - You better not miss. It ain't what you takin', it's who you takin' from, ya feel me? How you expect to run with the wolves come night when you spend all day sparring with the puppies?:41106.jpg

Quote: DISA "I don't want to pish on your fire mate, and at lest you have come up with something constructive, but the Man U argument is a myth, and simply not true.

They continually produce the players ready, it is just felt they are not as good as the stars they already have in the team. you can only play 11 players at a time, and they have many more than that regarded as world stars. How many players do you think Man U have out on loan at any one time? They even have feeder clubs in 3 seperate countries in order to accomodate the production line.'"

Lets not move the goalposts.

The standard you applied to Leeds was that we should be able to produce "a future star" every year.

Apply this same standard to Manchester United and my argument is sound.

Man United currently have about 6 players in their main squad of about 20 that came from their youth team...three of these are in their 30's. Take their first 30 or so players and you can probably double this number - but given that the range of ages is about 20 years that's still way below a player a year. Also remember that this includes a "freak crop" from the early 90's

G1
RankPostsTeam
International Chairman32302No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2018Oct 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
982.jpg
[quote:1pqtnbtj]Every player in our squad could probably earn more money with another club. But they prefer to sacrifice a few extra quid in their back pocket to share special memories. And playing at a place like Old Trafford on a night like this makes it all worthwhile.[/quote:1pqtnbtj] Kevin Sinfield:982.jpg

Quote: DISA "I bet thats not your worst insult of the day.
Have fun in my absence.

RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Nov 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
3043_1291817917.jpg

Quote: Vic Mackey "The standard you applied to Leeds was that we should be able to produce "a future star" every year.'"

Nope. I think Leeds with the service area size they have should be producing "future stars" every year.

Of course your not going to produce a Andy Farrell, Adrian Morley, Kevin Sinfield, Danny McGuire, James Roby, etc, each year.

But there is absolutely not excuse for not producing the next Carl Ablett, Luke Burgess, Gareth Hock, Paul Clough, Ryan Atkins, etc. These players are out there in the service area. Players who are better than these at similar ages. Its how we are developing them through the system now that is the problem.

Lets put it another way, if it was as cyclic as you say, then the emphasis on a club to remain challengers would be to go through stages, of produce, buy, produce, buy. The aim of having a dominant team produced from homegrown players is simply a pipe dream then? It would never happen.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4482No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2015Feb 2010LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

A dog is for Christmas!:

Dont Leeds produce players every year who then go on to fill up other SL teams?

Isnt McIlorum from Leeds? He was highly rated.

RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Nov 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
3043_1291817917.jpg

Quote: Kifaru "Didn't Leeds produce players every year who then went on to fill up other SL teams?'"

Edited for accuracy.

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman18060No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2023Jun 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
icons077e_files/5454-3678dentheman-msnicons.jpg
Your job is to say to yourself on a job interview does the hiring manager likes me or not. If you aren't a particular manager's cup of tea, you haven't failed -- you've dodged a bullet.:icons077e_files/5454-3678dentheman-msnicons.jpg

Both my boys have come through the junior ranks at Kippax and Lock Lane there were some great kids in their leagues that you think should be starting to rear their head - sadly it doesn't seem to be the case at the moment.

I think to simply blame the club is only part of the story - having McDermot as head of youth development is a joke to me as is having Poching as academy coach.

1. You have to also question the desire of the players perhaps the Sinfield's/McGuire's/Burrow had more desire than their current counterparts - too many good kids seem to never reach their potential.

2. What is the role of the academy is it to develop players potential to ready them for first team football or to win the academy league?

3. If you were a top quality half back and you had the choice of Leeds or Castleford where would you go - at Leeds your chances are slim at best same goes for loose forward etc.

4. Finally the club maybe concentrates its scouting on filling positions where they have a weakness - Watkins emerging is no fluke the fact that Leeds have a weakness in the centres and they have found a potential star is no fluke IMO but a targeted piece of scouting.

RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Nov 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
3043_1291817917.jpg

Quote: Eccleshill Rhino "Both my boys have come through the junior ranks at Kippax and Lock Lane there were some great kids in their leagues that you think should be starting to rear their head - sadly it doesn't seem to be the case at the moment.

I think to simply blame the club is only part of the story - having McDermot as head of youth development is a joke to me as is having Poching as academy coach.

1. You have to also question the desire of the players perhaps the Sinfield's/McGuire's/Burrow had more desire than their current counterparts - too many good kids seem to never reach their potential.

2. What is the role of the academy is it to develop players potential to ready them for first team football or to win the academy league?

3. If you were a top quality half back and you had the choice of Leeds or Castleford where would you go - at Leeds your chances are slim at best same goes for loose forward etc.

4. Finally the club maybe concentrates its scouting on filling positions where they have a weakness - Watkins emerging is no fluke the fact that Leeds have a weakness in the centres and they have found a potential star is no fluke IMO but a targeted piece of scouting.'"

I think you spot on with the coaching and spot on with point 4. Dissagree on the others though.

Watkins actually came from the Manchester service area. Therefore backing up your point of targeting and getting.

But what have they been doing with the rest then? Its already been commented by people defending our academy operation that the pack is too small. That been the case, why? other academy teams seem to have got the players why not us?

But other than the targeted Watkins, what other player is there that looks like he will be a star?

I know from personal experience, that Chris Clarkson was an absolute star in the making. I speak to a few of the scouts who were after him, who say in any other set up he would have been playing first team by now. Where is he in the Leeds pecking order? somethings gone wrong there. Of course it could also be down to desire which you stated earlier.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach19234No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2016Feb 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
35376_1277564281.gif
[img:35s0tdes]http://i84.servimg.com/u/f84/12/34/74/45/lr200913.gif[/img:35s0tdes]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_35376.gif

Quote: DISA "I think you spot on with the coaching and spot on with point 4. Dissagree on the others though.

Watkins actually came from the Manchester service area. Therefore backing up your point of targeting and getting.

But what have they been doing with the rest then? Its already been commented by people defending our academy operation that the pack is too small. That been the case, why? other academy teams seem to have got the players why not us?

But other than the targeted Watkins, what other player is there that looks like he will be a star?

I know from personal experience, that Chris Clarkson was an absolute star in the making. I speak to a few of the scouts who were after him, who say in any other set up he would have been playing first team by now. Where is he in the Leeds pecking order? somethings gone wrong there. Of course it could also be down to desire which you stated earlier.'"

He's been mentioned by many people now so maybe it's just a matter of time before he break's through!!
As for poching wasn't he coaching with the scholarship 1st???
So surely he's been assessed rather than a "job's for the boy's" attitude??

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach74No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200916 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2010Jun 2010LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: DISA "I think you spot on with the coaching and spot on with point 4. Dissagree on the others though.

I know from personal experience, that Chris Clarkson was an absolute star in the making. I speak to a few of the scouts who were after him, who say in any other set up he would have been playing first team by now. Where is he in the Leeds pecking order? somethings gone wrong there. Of course it could also be down to desire which you stated earlier.'"

Paul McShane, Ben Jones-Bishop, Luke Burgess.

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman18060No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2023Jun 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
icons077e_files/5454-3678dentheman-msnicons.jpg
Your job is to say to yourself on a job interview does the hiring manager likes me or not. If you aren't a particular manager's cup of tea, you haven't failed -- you've dodged a bullet.:icons077e_files/5454-3678dentheman-msnicons.jpg

Quote: rhinoms "He's been mentioned by many people now so maybe it's just a matter of time before he break's through!!
As for poching wasn't he coaching with the scholarship 1st???
So surely he's been assessed rather than a "job's for the boy's" attitude??'"

You mean like Daryl Powell was when he got the first team coach job?

RankPostsTeam
Moderator50026
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2024May 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Black Backgrounds/Kermit%20the%20Frog.gif
Move on, nothing to read here. Talking rubbish at and over games for nearly 20 years:Black Backgrounds/Kermit%20the%20Frog.gif

The lower grade system is about to change as well. There are plans to scrap the reserve grade as it is and introduce an Under 20's competition as it the case in Australia at the moment.

I don't know why people are getting too beat up over the reserves at the moment, it's a crap competition. It's no preparation for Super League. The jump in class is simply too much. It would be better if some of these kids got chance to play for a championship club and were brought into Super League in this way.

Although fortunate to play for his own club, 12 months in what is now the Championship hasn't done Richard Myler any harm has it?

55 posts in 5 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
55 posts in 5 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

6.64794921875:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
BORED The Band Name Game
Wanderer
1m
Film game
Wanderer
5m