FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

FORUMS > Leeds Rhinos > SL RD 1 | Warrington Wolves (H)
340 posts in 24 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member7197
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Sparky1967 "Curries tackle is ball and all.
Fusitua has his feet planted facing an onrushing defence. The kick hangs in the air. What do you expect Currie to do, pull out.
Fusitua needs to get in the air and force an illegal tackle. Currie then either pulls out or gets red carded.

The difference is this incident happens with the players facing each other, tensed expecting collision.
The Dwyer incident he hits from behind with Widdop not expecting it. He’s got to wrap his arms around like Currie.

I agree both tackles can cause the same injury, but they are the rules.
I’ll put it another way round is Fusitua makes the same tackle on Currie, this board thinks what a great tackle.'"

Fair explanation.
Not sure Fusitua was that tensed expecting the collision and Dwyers was a split second out.
Widdop holds that pass a split second longer and it`s a fair tackle.
All ifs buts and maybes I suppose.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner6695No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200421 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

There's no ownership on fus to do anything. You make shoulder contact with the head regardless of mitigation and there's a consequence.

RankPostsTeam
First Team Player134No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 20204 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Seth "There's no ownership on fus to do anything. You make shoulder contact with the head regardless of mitigation and there's a consequence.'"

I agree there’s no ownership on Fusitua to do anything but then he’s got to expect collision. Currie hits him with everything but his arms are wrapped around him. It’s not a blatant shoulder charge. This leads to grade A (careless) rather than Grade D (blatant- Napa)

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner6695No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200421 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Does that not carry a ban then? Yeah expect collision around his body. Surely there's due care on the tackler to not hit his heat with anything.

RankPostsTeam
First Team Player134No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 20204 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Seth "Does that not carry a ban then? Yeah expect collision around his body. Surely there's due care on the tackler to not hit his heat with anything.'"

Last comment on this.
If your arms make contact between midriff and chest where do you expect the shoulder to be. Not around the players ankles, but between neck and chin.
He got careless verdict Grade A with no matches.
The panel are warning him to go lower or next time expect ban for same grade.
They state it as high contact with no malice.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner6695No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200421 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Get your angles right and I'd expect the shoulder to make contact in the same area ie not the neck or head. Though knocked out and missing a game through concussion I'd be interested to know if the degree of injury sustained would alter the decision on a potential sending off/ban ie a broken jaw from the careless contact. Doesnt make sense to me you're either culpable or you're not.

RankPostsTeam
First Team Player134No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 20204 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Seth "Get your angles right and I'd expect the shoulder to make contact in the same area ie not the neck or head. Though knocked out and missing a game through concussion I'd be interested to know if the degree of injury sustained would alter the decision on a potential sending off/ban ie a broken jaw from the careless contact. Doesnt make sense to me you're either culpable or you're not.'"

I don’t think it would but don’t quote me.
Dwyer would of got the same ban if Widdop suffered concussion and missed a match. It’s classed as soft contact but still dangerous because his arms don’t wrap round Widdop and he doesn’t see it coming. Would you expect Dwyer to get 4 matches if Widdop say had fell over from his soft contact and broke his arm. It’s all hindsight.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain3615
JoinedServiceReputation
May 20168 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2022May 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

As difficult as it is because RL is a high paced, high impact and instinct and reactionary related sport but the defender has to have a duty of care and is responsible for the attackers safety.

I genuinely dont think Currie meant to hurt Fusitua i think he meant to wrap him up but his shoulder contacted his head and he is responsible for that.

He shouldve been punished for that i believe.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner6695No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200421 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

...that hypothetical broken arm would be from a secondary impact though and not as a direct cause. Anyway, we could go on...

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain3206No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 20178 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Curries tackle was just a brutal , but brilliant tackle.
Bentleys tackle should just have been a penalty.
Nothing in Dwyers! Games are getting ruined by over zealous rules…..

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach3092No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200619 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2023Feb 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
22575.gif
"Brian McDermott, with a wry smile, nods when asked if he remembers a specific incident which made him realise he was a prick. 'I do', he murmurs.":22575.gif

Quote: Shabino "Curries tackle was just a brutal , but brilliant tackle.
Bentleys tackle should just have been a penalty.
Nothing in Dwyers! Games are getting ruined by over zealous rules…..'"

It looks like you're never going to get the message that if this stuff isn't rooted out there won't be a game any more.

RankPostsTeam
International Star505No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Jul 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Sparky1967 "Curries tackle is ball and all.
Fusitua has his feet planted facing an onrushing defence. The kick hangs in the air. What do you expect Currie to do, pull out.
Fusitua needs to get in the air and force an illegal tackle. Currie then either pulls out or gets red carded.

The difference is this incident happens with the players facing each other, tensed expecting collision.
The Dwyer incident he hits from behind with Widdop not expecting it. He’s got to wrap his arms around like Currie.

I agree both tackles can cause the same injury, but they are the rules.
I’ll put it another way round is Fusitua makes the same tackle on Currie, this board thinks what a great tackle.'"

That's exactly what I expect if he's incapable of tackling Fusitua legally. The onus is never on the ball carrier to do anything other than hold on to the ball, using this logic it's easy to argue that Widdop shouldn't have been dipping, if he'd been stood upright he'd have forced an illegal tackle to get hit in the head.

The big difference that I can see between the Dwyer and Currie tackles is that one [icould [/i have caused serious injury and the other one [idid[/i cause serious injury. In both incidents the tackler was at fault, in both incidents it was accidental and a touch unfortunate, but they were both cases of foul play and it beggars belief that Currie's has gone completely unpunished.

As for the disciplinary panel suggesting to him that he goes lower next time? Why not just say that to Bentley and let him get away with it as well? It's not like he wanted to hit Widdop in the face. Going lower next time doesn't remove Fusitua's concussion, it doesn't give us a world class winger next week, it doesn't give us the benefit of playing against 12 men for ten minutes. The whole incident has been handled terribly from minute one when the video ref didn't alert Kendall and Leeds didn't take the lad off.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1391No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Surprises me that Currie's was not deemed reckless. He has shoulder charged someone in the head causing them to go off with concussion and to miss the next game.

If the RFL are so keen to safeguard against head injuries then surely the onus is on the defender to ensure they do not make contact with an opponents head. There should be no excuse for shouldering someone's head. Tackle lower and you won't knock your opponent out.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain545No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 20195 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Appealing the 3 match ban for the Bentley red card is the worst idea ever. No chance of getting it reduced and will almost certainly be changed to 4 matches. Jake Connor only getting 1 match though is very questionable. Although no clenched fist! He is wrong footed and takes out a player that has neaten him. If Oliver Holmes is deemed a 1 match ban and Bentley 3 then Connor should get 2. Its all very inconsistent.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain100No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 20186 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2024Feb 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
77216_1537525872.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_77216.jpg

Quote: Big Jim Slade "That's exactly what I expect if he's incapable of tackling Fusitua legally. The onus is never on the ball carrier to do anything other than hold on to the ball, using this logic it's easy to argue that Widdop shouldn't have been dipping, if he'd been stood upright he'd have forced an illegal tackle to get hit in the head.

The big difference that I can see between the Dwyer and Currie tackles is that one [icould [/i have caused serious injury and the other one [idid[/i cause serious injury. In both incidents the tackler was at fault, in both incidents it was accidental and a touch unfortunate, but they were both cases of foul play and it beggars belief that Currie's has gone completely unpunished.

As for the disciplinary panel suggesting to him that he goes lower next time? Why not just say that to Bentley and let him get away with it as well? It's not like he wanted to hit Widdop in the face. Going lower next time doesn't remove Fusitua's concussion, it doesn't give us a world class winger next week, it doesn't give us the benefit of playing against 12 men for ten minutes. The whole incident has been handled terribly from minute one when the video ref didn't alert Kendall and Leeds didn't take the lad off.'"

I can't understand how between Kendall and the video ref the Fusitu'a incident wasn't put on report. At least then we would have got a penalty.

However, considering Kendall's handling of the match against Catalans in the 2020 play-offs (no penalty for either incident but subsequent 8 match and 6 match bans for Tomkins and McIlorum) we should not be surprised.

I don't for one second believe that Kendall is deliberately biased against Leeds. Unconscious bias though? That is another question.

340 posts in 24 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
340 posts in 24 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

19.7578125:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Rumours thread
Trojan Horse
9m
Film game
karetaker
11m