FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

FORUMS > Leeds Rhinos > RD 7 | Hull FC (H)
273 posts in 19 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain4719
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 20186 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
77264_1540382825.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_77264.jpg

We are not a "top side" at the moment, and the earliest we might be is next year IMO.

We're highly unlikely to get anything out of this season, except experience for the young lads and some time for the seniors to show what they can do or be shipped on.

I didn't expect anything different this year once those injuries really kicked in, I'm honestly not sure which yardstick some of you are using. We have some brilliant talent at the club, but it takes time. We totally took our eye off the ball there for years (or the talent just wasn't there, or both). Now we have a real strong production line of talent but even the likes of Mik aren't fully in their prime yet. We just need to accept it's going to be a number of years still before the full potential of our youth is winning things again. When the young lads are in their prime AND we have some high quality seniors amongst them, we'll be fine.

As for senior recruitment I've made some criticisms in the past. I can also see a club desperate to avoid the drop, struggling for finances in places and struggling to compete with clubs in better position/form than us. We've made some mistakes but some good signings too amongst them.

Thing is to step forward we are going to have to concentrate resources on better quality than we have now, which means difficult conversations and some big decisions.

I actually quite enjoyed the game against Hull. Massively frustrating that we couldn't pierce the line in good ball but great to see an atmosphere back, dare I say a bit off biff and patches of good play given the conditions.

I still maintain we are not as far off as some seem to think. It's a bit like when we played Wigan: Hastings is on our side, we win that game. Against Hull, Jake Connor is in a Leeds shirt and we win that game. You keep winning games like those and suddenly you're in amongst it again. Field position was a massive issue when Furner came in, now we're getting forward quite nicely. What we lack now is skill and execution in the back line, mostly. Fix one link and then on to the next.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain4719
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 20186 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
77264_1540382825.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_77264.jpg

Having said the above, to be clear I don't think the club can put out valid excuses not to be competitive next season. They have the chance to change what needs to be changed. I'm not suggesting we'll do the treble in 2022 but we certainly should be winning some of the games we're currently losing, and starting to build a side which others respect again.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain5871
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 20178 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
75810_1643888256.png
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_75810.png

Quote: gulfcoast_highwayman "We won the title in 2017 on the back of a superb late run following the horrific cup semi with Hull, and we got the CC last year due to a brilliant game against Wigan, but otherwise since the treble of 2015, the way our side has been allowed to decline is a disgrace. We battled against relegation more often that we haven't (2016, 2018, 2019). But for a dropped pass at Widnes we could have been in the lower division. I honestly don't see any quick fix, but we can't go on like this for too much longer. Fans will stop turning up to watch such utter tripe.'"

Quite some stat (relegation battle years) that isn’t it.. absolutely disgraceful for a club like Leeds. This is why alot are so p*seed with it at the moment. We’re all fed up with the tripe being served up. It’s got to change very quickly.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain361
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 20177 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

with roundball across the city seeing success too surely Gary knows he needs to put on a show to keep fans at HQ

RankPostsTeam
International Star594
JoinedServiceReputation
May 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2024Feb 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Swoggy Loiner "Clutching at straws blaming the referee here, we are absolutely terrible in every department. Please get Connor for next season, he’s taking the pi$$ out of us.

Less said about fat Koni the better.'"

Please get Connor ??? Why would he want to come ?

RankPostsTeam
International Star1155No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Oct 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
60930_1348487834.jpg
[b:hckzm0kh]Never Underestimate A Rhino[/b:hckzm0kh] Challenge Cup Winners 1909–10, 1922–23, 1931–32, 1935–36, 1940–41, 1941–42, 1956–57, 1967–68, 1976–77, 1977–78, 1999, 2014, 2015, 2020 Superleague Champions 2004, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2011, 2012, 2015, 2017 Championship Winners 1960–61, 1968–69, 1971–72 World Club Champions 2005, 2008, 2012 Premiership Winners 1974–75, 1978–79 SL League Leaders 2004, 2009, 2015:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_60930.jpg

Quote: Uppo58 "Please get Connor ??? Why would he want to come ?'"

Agreed. People used to want to join us to win things. Hes more chance of silverware at FC at the moment.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member11421
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
cartoons/WB153.gif
I'm not a pheasant plucker, i'm a pheasant pluckers son and i'm only plucking pheasants till the pheasant plucker comes.:cartoons/WB153.gif

Apparently Broadbent wasn't injured. Seems a strange decision to play Briscoe at centre in front of him.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member13555No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
3357_1596183529.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_3357.jpg

Quote: Rhinoshaund III "Agreed. People used to want to join us to win things. Hes more chance of silverware at FC at the moment.'"

Not based on last night’s performance, having rewatched the game they were very lucky our attack didn’t click but they were no great shakes at all.

I do think they’ve bagged a decent coach though, but to say they had their first choice spine out on the pitch they weren’t much better than us with attacking options

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member13555No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
3357_1596183529.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_3357.jpg

Quote: fanstanningley "Apparently Broadbent wasn't injured. Seems a strange decision to play Briscoe at centre in front of him.'"

Maybe hes not perfected the Tom Briscoe roll.

Why didn’t he just put the ball down - he does that we win that game IMO

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain3206No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 20178 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: christopher "Maybe hes not perfected the Tom Briscoe roll.

Why didn’t he just put the ball down - he does that we win that game IMO'"

Just watched highlights.
1) we can't carry Koni defensively beyond this season
2) some marginal no try calls there, we could have won.
3) the Briscoe roll was not as easy as people are saying. His strength got him through the tackle and momentum against simple put down. Think ball was down at one point. Only disallowed by the on field guess work rule.
4) Dwyer is a spark despite criticism he gets
5) Glad I only watched highlights....!

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain1421No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 20159 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2021Oct 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Think plenty of it has been said but I’ll try and not just repeat it all.

Thought Myler had a very good game in terrible conditions.

Plenty of people saying how good our pack is, I don’t buy that for the whole pack. 8 and 10 have been very good. 13 is a very good player. However, we had 8-13 starting on Sunday. 9 was not very good,11 was OK and I thought 12 at times was hiding and never once carried the ball in with the wallop that either FC second row did, who are also much bigger than our 2.

Near the end we opened them up a bit when Dwyer’s effort started to take effect and we mixed our game a small amount, prior doing a run around with Gale. Prior switching the point of attack. Hope we see more of this because until then our attack is like painting by numbers.

Prior was behind a fair part of it and is a very smart player. After Briscoe scored he was telling Gale where he would run from the kick off and that he was going to try and get over 1 defender to get a penalty. Did not work but he is always pushing the game.

Someone said about Cuthbo playing stand off in a dream, think we really miss him on attack.

I would think about playing Prior at stand off v cas or at least give him a roaming loose forward role to try and mix our game up. Put Tetevano at prop and let him go head to head with watts.

We were in the east stand and FC were hardly down our end the whole of the second half. They made a load of errors but still looked fairly comfortable.

Final point on the warm up. I never get there that early but as had to be in for 6.30 for Covid I saw it all. FC came out way before us, Sneyd practiced kicks before 7. Reynolds walking around with Connor talking to him. They looked a real group. We came much later, looked like same routine from 10 years ago. 7.20 Martin starts goal kicking as rest of team goes to tackle bags. Rest of team runs off, Martin runs to tunnel and walker grabs a bag and he does 3 hits and goes in.

Reminded me of the 80’s.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member7378
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2074_1714824298.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_2074.jpg

Sometimes I think Leeds do too much to accommodate average senior players who are unable to play the position/role they were orginally signed for.

For example...

Myler signed as a half, failed in that position, and is now accommodated at full-back. However good he is in this position it is not a long-term solution, and it is also questionable whether Myler has the physical attributes to be one of the top full backs in SL.

L. Sutcliffe, brought into the team as a half-back, yet despite failing to nail this position down since Sinfield retired we are still persisting with him in the halves. The club want him to play centre but he's light years behind the top SL centres in this position. Why not let him move on?

Dwyer - a McDermott project signing capable of moments of spark but hasn't got good enough distribution to play the full 80. We lose valuable forward interchanges every game to bring him in but it has been a long time since he has actually changed the game.

T. Briscoe signed as a world class winger during the glory era, but has been rewarded with a new contract despite being out of top form for years and having lost his pace. Now we are experimenting with playing him at centre, which is either blocking youngsters or stopping Sutcliffe play there. Again, which top sides would have given him a new contract?

No doubt I could go on, but you can see why we are falling behind our competitors with too many silly decisions like this.None of these players are Sinfields, Peacocks or Burrows, whom at least were worthy of accommodating in this way.

RankPostsTeam
International Star594
JoinedServiceReputation
May 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2024Feb 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: christopher "Not based on last night’s performance, having rewatched the game they were very lucky our attack didn’t click but they were no great shakes at all.

I do think they’ve bagged a decent coach though, but to say they had their first choice spine out on the pitch they weren’t much better than us with attacking options'"

I agree with you, we were lucky your attack didn’t click, and with us being at say 40% in the 2nd half, and handing the ball back to you continuously to have another go, there was confidence that our defensive structure could hold you, and increasingly, attack wise you appeared to be without ideas.

The weather didn’t help you but it was appalling in the first half too, and we got enough tries to win the game during that time. I know we got them because of a weak link on your right side, but he plays in blue and gold and he was picked as good enough to play.

The the thing with Rich Agar is, he’s a nice guy and he talks a good game, but we know from ever so bitter experience what his lack of inspiring or winning rugby can do to the soul of a club on the pitch and on on the terraces. It’s a tough gig your watching now, and it won’t get any better. You will win again of course and like us you will almost have wanted a loss !! To bring about a change of some sort. But you win and he stays longer. And the pain and the demise continues.

You can’t blame Long, everyone knows he has a brilliant attacking brain, but he’s having to work players with all inventiveness knocked out of them. And anyway so much of his brilliance was off the cuff, and you can’t coach that part.

Hetherington has to be culpable he’s the guy who puts people in the frame to do the job, you won a cup out of it but that could set you back 2 seasons maybe more if Leigh finish above you. The big ship is going in the wrong direction and it’s Captain Hetherington who decides the course it’s on.

There are some on here who are saying “Get Connor” that will fix it ? It’s not so much the arrogance of that statement that surprises readers from outside the Leeds bubble, it’s more the ignorance, that whichever playmaker you bring in will still be on a course to nowhere, with a 2nd in command in RA who hasn’t quite got the idea of steering with a rudder. You get the feeling of going in circles. It’s not a nice place to be.
Until you get that right, you could bring in the Full Saints squad never mind Jake Connor, and slowly but surely RH will have them playing his way. You brought in Gale who was tearing it up at Cas, but slowly he too is waining The cup win was a poisoned chalice for LRLFC.
Saints went a bit that way when Cunningham was given the reigns, great a player as he was, he just couldn’t coach. Your man at the top has voted for a below average achiever to coach your team and that what you got. It’s not rocket science.

What does that say about Hetherington ?? Everything.

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman17139No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
755_1290430740.jpg
“At last, a real, Tory budget,” Daily Mail 24/9/22 "It may be that the honourable gentleman doesn't like mixing with his own side … but we on this side have a more convivial, fraternal spirit." Jacob Rees-Mogg 21/10/21 A member of the Guardian-reading, tofu-eating wokerati.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_755.jpg

Quote: Mark Laurie "

Reminded me of the 80’s.'"

Back then there'd just be Andy Mason stretching his hamstrings on the advertising hoardings. The rest of the team warmed up by touching their toes a couple of times

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2579No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 20205 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Uppo58 "I agree with you, we were lucky your attack didn’t click, and with us being at say 40% in the 2nd half, and handing the ball back to you continuously to have another go, there was confidence that our defensive structure could hold you, and increasingly, attack wise you appeared to be without ideas.

The weather didn’t help you but it was appalling in the first half too, and we got enough tries to win the game during that time. I know we got them because of a weak link on your right side, but he plays in blue and gold and he was picked as good enough to play.

The the thing with Rich Agar is, he’s a nice guy and he talks a good game, but we know from ever so bitter experience what his lack of inspiring or winning rugby can do to the soul of a club on the pitch and on on the terraces. It’s a tough gig your watching now, and it won’t get any better. You will win again of course and like us you will almost have wanted a loss !! To bring about a change of some sort. But you win and he stays longer. And the pain and the demise continues.

You can’t blame Long, everyone knows he has a brilliant attacking brain, but he’s having to work players with all inventiveness knocked out of them. And anyway so much of his brilliance was off the cuff, and you can’t coach that part.

Hetherington has to be culpable he’s the guy who puts people in the frame to do the job, you won a cup out of it but that could set you back 2 seasons maybe more if Leigh finish above you. The big ship is going in the wrong direction and it’s Captain Hetherington who decides the course it’s on.

There are some on here who are saying “Get Connor” that will fix it ? It’s not so much the arrogance of that statement that surprises readers from outside the Leeds bubble, it’s more the ignorance, that whichever playmaker you bring in will still be on a course to nowhere, with a 2nd in command in RA who hasn’t quite got the idea of steering with a rudder. You get the feeling of going in circles. It’s not a nice place to be.
Until you get that right, you could bring in the Full Saints squad never mind Jake Connor, and slowly but surely RH will have them playing his way. You brought in Gale who was tearing it up at Cas, but slowly he too is waining The cup win was a poisoned chalice for LRLFC.
Saints went a bit that way when Cunningham was given the reigns, great a player as he was, he just couldn’t coach. Your man at the top has voted for a below average achiever to coach your team and that what you got. It’s not rocket science.

What does that say about Hetherington ?? Everything.'"

Yes, what an unmitigated failure GH has been. Apart from saving the club from bankruptcy and rebuilding an old stadium, he's left the clubs trophy room cluttered with league tiles, challenge cups and world club challenges. Disgraceful! What we need is a classy operator like Pearson.

273 posts in 19 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
273 posts in 19 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

4.90185546875:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Tonights match v HKR
just_browny
4m
Decision on the field
--[ WW ]--
5m
SL CHAT THREAD OTHER TEAMS GAMES
chapylad
18m
ALL NEW 49ERS ERA LEEDS UTD THREAD
chapylad
33m
Leigh it is
exiled Warri
49m
Rumours thread
PopTart
Recent
Proposed rule changes 2025
MjM
Recent
Isa 1 year extension
Rogues Galle
Recent
Who do you want to win the Grand Final
The Cooke Re
Recent
Fev H Play Off
Bully_Boxer
FORUM
LAST
VIEW
TOPIC
POSTER
Hull KR Survive Warrington Fightback To Secure Grand Final Spot
RLFANS News
46s
Film game
Boss Hog
51s
2025 membership/renewals
The Dentist
58s
Season tickets
Hudd-Shay
58s
Decision on the field
--[ WW ]--
1m
Squads - Leopards v Warriors
Vancouver Le
1m
Rumours thread
PopTart
1m
The Cooke Re
1m
MjM
1m
BORED The Band Name Game
Boss Hog
FORUM
NEW
TOPICS
TOPIC
POSTER
Decision on the field
--[ WW ]--
TODAY
The Cooke Re
TODAY
Worst semi
Barstool Pre
TODAY
2025 TRANSFER AND RETENTION RUMOURS
Listenup94
TODAY
Sam Burgess
Bobby Digita
TODAY
Hull KR Survive Warrington Fightback To Secure Grand Final Spot
RLFANS News
TODAY
Squad 2025
Nat (Rugby_A
TODAY
Tonights match v HKR
just_browny
TODAY
Isa 1 year extension
Rogues Galle
TODAY
2024 IMG gradings
northernblok
TODAY
Championship Awards
Butcher
TODAY
Season tickets
Hudd-Shay
TODAY
Best Semi
sir adrian m
TODAY
Ben Condon is a Leopard
Jack Gaskell
TODAY
Squads - Leopards v Warriors
Vancouver Le
TODAY
Any decent RL reads for me hols
norbellini
TODAY
Championship Play Off Final
PopTart
TODAY
Man of Steel
matt_wire
TODAY
Guest appearance
AgbriggAmble
TODAY
Squad for HKR
MorePlaymake
TODAY
MjM
TODAY
Fev H Play Off
Bully_Boxer
TODAY
Whose going for a beer in Wigan Saturday
Deeeekos
TODAY
Play-off semi-final
BarnsleyGull
TODAY
Coach of the Year
Howfenwire
TODAY
Greatest game ever at HJ
Fantastic Mr
TODAY
World Club Challenge
Barstool Pre
NEWS ITEMS
VIEWS
Hull KR Survive Warrington Fig..
Warrington Wolves Break Saints..
Leigh Leopards Make Play Off P..
Catalans Dragons Finish Sevent..
Hull KR Secure Second With Vic..
Wigan Seal League Leaders Trop..
Wakefield Trinity Sweep Aside ..
Catalans Keep Season Alive Wit..
Salford Ensure Play-Offs And S..
Ruthless Wigan Thrash the Rhin..
Huddersfield Giants Hold Off L..
Salford Close In On The Play O..
Leigh Leopards Up To Fourth Af..
Leeds Rhinos Into the Six Afte..
Wigan Warriors Defeat Hull KR ..
POSTSONLINEREGISTRATIONSRECORD
19.64M +13,167 80,13114,103
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.

When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
RLFANS Match Centre
 TODAY
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R29
17:30
Wigan
v
Leigh
 TOMORROW
     National Rugby League 2024-R31
09:30
Melbourne
v
Penrith
       League One 2024-R26
15:00
Keighley
v
Hunslet
       Championship 2024-R29
Bradford
v
Featherstone
York
v
Widnes
     Womens Super League 2024-R16
16:30
York V
v
St.HelensW
 Sun 27th Oct
     Mens Internationals 2024-R2
14:30
England M
v
Samoa M
 Sat 2nd Nov
     Womens Internationals 2024-R2
12:00
ENGLAND W
v
WALES W
     Mens Internationals 2024-R3
England M
v
Samoa M
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)
Matches on TV
Sat 5th Oct
SL
17:30
Wigan-Leigh
Sun 6th Oct
L1
Keighley-Hunslet
WSL2024
16:30
York V-St.HelensW
NRL
09:30
Melbourne-Penrith
Sun 27th Oct
MINT2024
England M-Samoa M
Sat 2nd Nov
MINT2024
England M-Samoa M
Fri 4th Oct
SL 29 Hull KR10-8Warrington
Sun 29th Sep
L1 25 Rochdale26-46Hunslet
CH 28 Barrow24-26Widnes
CH 28 Bradford50-0Swinton
CH 28 Dewsbury28-8Sheffield
CH 28 Wakefield72-6Doncaster
CH 28 Whitehaven23-20Halifax
CH 28 York16-6Featherstone
Sat 28th Sep
CH 28 Toulouse64-16Batley
SL 28 Warrington23-22St.Helens
NRL 30 Penrith26-6Cronulla
Fri 27th Sep
SL 28 Salford6-14Leigh
NRL 30 Melbourne48-18Sydney
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Mens Betfred Super League XXVIII ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Hull KR 28 729 335 394 44
Wigan 27 721 336 385 44
Warrington 29 769 351 418 42
Leigh 28 580 404 176 33
Salford 28 556 561 -5 32
St.Helens 28 618 411 207 30

Catalans 27 475 427 48 30
Leeds 27 530 488 42 28
Huddersfield 27 468 658 -190 20
Castleford 27 425 735 -310 15
Hull FC 27 328 894 -566 6
LondonB 27 317 916 -599 6
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Betfred Championship 2024 ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wakefield 26 1010 262 748 50
Toulouse 25 744 368 376 35
Bradford 26 678 387 291 34
York 27 655 469 186 30
Widnes 26 551 475 76 29
Featherstone 26 622 500 122 28

Sheffield 26 626 526 100 28
Doncaster 26 498 619 -121 25
Halifax 26 509 650 -141 22
Batley 26 422 591 -169 22