Nov 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
29557_1715786245.png
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_29557.png

Quote: sparkles "While I agree with your comment printer about how more than just non workhorse forwards would help bring more out of Sinfield as it was for England the problem is that these are not in a huge abundance of them. The England team obviously have what is considered the creme de la creme of that year and Sinfield (Widdop as well) utilised them very well. In superleague I believe that not many teams have more than one of them e.g. Wigan Farrel, Sts Soliola, Hull Ellis but apart from maybe Warrington who have Hill and Harrison(unlucky injury record). Sinfield unfortunately will have to make the most of what Leeds have because getting a forward like that is difficult. I am going to be positive and hope Cuthbertson in the mix and putting Sutcliffe at LF will help the cause with threatening the opposition line.'"

You seriously think Tomkins, Bateman and, most notably, O'Loughlin are just 'workhorse forwards'?

RankPostsTeam
International Star11412No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2021Jul 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

"The Golden Generation finally has its Golden Fleece! They have Wembley Cup Final winners medals to add to their collection." 23/08/2014:

Quote: sparkles "While I agree with your comment printer about how more than just non workhorse forwards would help bring more out of Sinfield as it was for England the problem is that these are not in a huge abundance of them. The England team obviously have what is considered the creme de la creme of that year and Sinfield (Widdop as well) utilised them very well. In superleague I believe that not many teams have more than one of them e.g. Wigan Farrel, Sts Soliola, Hull Ellis but apart from maybe Warrington who have Hill and Harrison(unlucky injury record). Sinfield unfortunately will have to make the most of what Leeds have because getting a forward like that is difficult. I am going to be positive and hope Cuthbertson in the mix and putting Sutcliffe at LF will help the cause with threatening the opposition line.'"

They don't need to be the creme de la creme, they just need to have a knack of making good runs when down that end. Walters showed a knack for doing it in his appearances yet he's hardly Sam Burgess or Ben Westwood.

RankPostsTeam
International Star75No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 201311 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2016Jan 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Phuzzy "You seriously think Tomkins, Bateman and, most notably, O'Loughlin are just 'workhorse forwards'?'"

While I think there all very good players the three you have mentioned combined scored a grand total of 12 tries between them. I would not put them in a category of really threatening try scoring forwards although I do view O'Loughlin as another pivot if needed (very good one). And to be fair to Tomkins he was injured then getting used to league again. So I have no problem saying that they are more than just workhorses. I wouldn't view them as really threatening near an opposition try line. Wigans back line did score a lot of tries last season. They may be different this season.

Also take your point printer but I would view that as a difficult skill to see the right moment when to sort of tag along a half break or it could be enthuisasm.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5465
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
29557_1715786245.png
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_29557.png

Quote: sparkles "While I think there all very good players the three you have mentioned combined scored a grand total of 12 tries between them. I would not put them in a category of really threatening try scoring forwards although I do view O'Loughlin as another pivot if needed (very good one). And to be fair to Tomkins he was injured then getting used to league again. So I have no problem saying that they are more than just workhorses. I wouldn't view them as really threatening near an opposition try line. Wigans back line did score a lot of tries last season. They may be different this season.

Also take your point printer but I would view that as a difficult skill to see the right moment when to sort of tag along a half break or it could be enthuisasm.'"

Whilst on the face of it the '12 tries between them' (it was actually 14) stat seems to support your view to some extent, in reality it doesn't paint an accurate picture.

O'Loughlin scored 8 tries in 22 games for Wigan which makes him one of the top try scoring forwards in 2014. Given that he's more a try creator than a try scorer, this is especially impressive. Compare this to other' ball playing pivots' though, such as Blake Green (7 tries in 20 matches), Kevin Sinfield (5 tries in 27 matches) or Luke Walsh (5 tries in 17 matches) and it starts to look even more impressive! I'm sure you wouldn't suggest that Green, Walsh or Sinfield don't pose a threat near the line just because they don't necessarily go over themselves all that often. O'Loughlin's return is significantly superior to any of these yet he carries a similar creative threat to all of them.

Joel Tomkins scored 2 tries in just 6 games (1 as sub) after coming back from Union. That's despite no pre season, 3 years out of the game and returning from a serious injury! He played the entire season before leaving league, plus his entire time in the other code, at centre. Not something you can do without carrying a threat. in 2010 he scored 17 tries and in 2011 was again in double figures scoring arguably one of the best tries ever seen at Wembley! Again, I'm not sure what you define as 'not carrying a threat' but whatever your definition, I doubt very much that he qualifies.

Even if we leave Bateman out of the argument (although he did score a try every other game in his last season at Bradford) that still leaves at least 3 forwards at Wigan that can't convincingly be labelled as 'not carrying a threat near the opposition line' which, I think you'll agree, doesn't really tally with the argument you were putting across originally.

RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2021Jul 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

"The Golden Generation finally has its Golden Fleece! They have Wembley Cup Final winners medals to add to their collection." 23/08/2014:

It's not even about scoring tries to an extent even though I criticised the lack of tries for Leeds forwards......it's about making the runs that draw defenders in that lead to the overlaps and easy tries for the centre/wingers to complete. Charnley, so many of his tries are so simple and easy (that's not a knock on the guy btw Wigan fans, I think he's a great winger, he just gets a lot more set up for him on a plate compared to other teams.)

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member9565No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2019Dec 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
fonds noir/Buzz Lightyear.gif
:fonds noir/Buzz Lightyear.gif

Agree with that Printer. One interesting stat from the NRL was that more tries were scored on the play after George Burgess had a run than any other player. That's because if not properly defended he'd score himself, so the mere fact of him getting the ball near the line draws in defenders. Dummy runs are even more important, and I'm not sure if the stats on them are copllected?

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman18060No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2023Jun 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
icons077e_files/5454-3678dentheman-msnicons.jpg
Your job is to say to yourself on a job interview does the hiring manager likes me or not. If you aren't a particular manager's cup of tea, you haven't failed -- you've dodged a bullet.:icons077e_files/5454-3678dentheman-msnicons.jpg

Quote: Gotcha "JC observation is not credible at all. Until there is stats that breakdown into things like, how many tackles were try savers, how many passes resulted in a break for a team mate ending in a try, or how many breaks resulted in trys for the team. These are important and not something general stats produce.

No where on this thread has Gotcha stated he could make an half back in an elite side. I have stated many times we can not write it off until it is tried, and I believe they will try it. Confirming that statement by saying we would not have the best fullback in the country try had we not put him there. Only you and that nimpty JC have taken it off topic by trying and failing to say Hardaker is not the best fullback.

There is s difference.'"

The stats are very relevant the fact they don't suit your argument is another matter. If they did produce those stats you would still stubbornly argue against them if they didn't give you the outcome you wanted. Given the clubs are the ones requesting the stats it would suggest that those you are suggesting are so spurious so not worthy of the time in collecting them.

On the half back thing - Gotcha has given examples why he thinks he has the skill set to make a half back in the Leeds side - so unless you don't think Leeds will be an elite side then my point is valid. The second reason why I don't think it will work is history suggests it is not really viable - I cannot think of a quality full back that has gone to make it as a half back in the modern game. As I repeatedly said I have seen nothing to suggest he would make a half back in a top SL side.

Finally I personally think the gushing praise on Hardaker on here is overstated - he is good but he is no Billy Slater. He could not get the England side for a start which has to tell you something. I think there are 3/4 FBs on a par with him - all have different skills and qualities - the stats support that too - and none are dominant across the whole skill set. That has been my view all the way through.

So unless this board has changed and we must all tow the line then surely posters are entitled to contribute to the argument - the fact it may offend your sensibilities shouldn't really be a consideration.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach9059
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
23603_1336678755.jpg
"Look, I'd never use injuries as an excuse..." Daryl Powell:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_23603.jpg

Quote: BrisbaneRhino "Agree with that Printer. One interesting stat from the NRL was that more tries were scored on the play after George Burgess had a run than any other player. That's because if not properly defended he'd score himself, so the mere fact of him getting the ball near the line draws in defenders. '"

An interesting stat, true. But the bare fact of the matter is that somebody, whether GB or someone else, [ihad[/i to be the top performer in that category. It's an easy matter then for a poster, journo or whoever to then weave a convincing story as to why that might be. I've no idea whether the theory's right or wrong, have merely flagged this up as an example of stats not necessarily illustrating the point being made while appearing to do so.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach9059
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
23603_1336678755.jpg
"Look, I'd never use injuries as an excuse..." Daryl Powell:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_23603.jpg

Quote: Sal Paradise "On the half back thing - Gotcha has given examples why he thinks he has the skill set to make a half back in the Leeds side - so unless you don't think Leeds will be an elite side then my point is valid. The second reason why I don't think it will work is history suggests it is not really viable - I cannot think of a quality full back that has gone to make it as a half back in the modern game. As I repeatedly said I have seen nothing to suggest he would make a half back in a top SL side.

Finally I personally think the gushing praise on Hardaker on here is overstated - he is good but he is no Billy Slater. He could not get the England side for a start which has to tell you something. I think there are 3/4 FBs on a par with him - all have different skills and qualities - the stats support that too - and none are dominant across the whole skill set. That has been my view all the way through.'"

There have been players capable of playing both positions though - Holmes and Harris, to name but two. But I think you're right re Hardaker. Furthermore, while he might not possess every ounce of ability for every aspect of the FB's role, he is sufficiently good at it not to want to move him from there.

No, out of English FBs, the principal candidate for a trial in the halves must surely be Tomkins - although, even then, I'm far from sure he'd be an unqualified success there.

RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2021Jul 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Quote: Clearwing "There have been players capable of playing both positions though - Holmes and Harris, to name but two. But I think you're right re Hardaker. Furthermore, while he might not possess every ounce of ability for every aspect of the FB's role, he is sufficiently good at it not to want to move him from there.

No, out of English FBs, the principal candidate for a trial in the halves must surely be Tomkins - although, even then, I'm far from sure he'd be an unqualified success there.'"

Tomkins started out in the halves, even played against the Aussies there in the 2009 4N final but from what I recall he was dropped back to FB largely to get him out of the defensive line as his defence was suspect.....something that's still a problem now at FB.

As well as Harris, Robbie Paul made his name originally at FB for Bradford and Leon Pryce like Hardaker played several years in the backs playing FB, Wing and centre.

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman17138No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
755_1290430740.jpg
“At last, a real, Tory budget,” Daily Mail 24/9/22 "It may be that the honourable gentleman doesn't like mixing with his own side … but we on this side have a more convivial, fraternal spirit." Jacob Rees-Mogg 21/10/21 A member of the Guardian-reading, tofu-eating wokerati.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_755.jpg

Lockyer would be the obvious outstanding convert to HB from FB.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach9059
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
23603_1336678755.jpg

Quote: ThePrinter "Tomkins started out in the halves, even played against the Aussies there in the 2009 4N final '"

True. What I should have put was that it might now be time to try him there again. Presumably his game will be a lot stronger all round than it was back then.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach15864No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Oct 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10145_1279728778.png
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_10145.png

Tomkins is primarily a runner. Yes he can pass a bit, and kick a bit, but he's not really a halfback. Him being at fullback makes the most of his abilities and decreases the impact of his deficiencies

RankPostsTeam
International Star1979No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2018Jan 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
68548_1368547004.jpg
"Imagine there's no heaven, it's easy if you try No hell below us, above us only pie"(John Ono Lennon born Wigan 1940):d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_68548.jpg

Quote: The Eagle "Tomkins is primarily a runner. Yes he can pass a bit, and kick a bit, but he's not really a halfback. Him being at fullback makes the most of his abilities and decreases the impact of his deficiencies'"

I think Michael Maguire would agree with you. He was moved to make the most of his running abilities not really to hide from defensive frailties, which have been over stated in my view. His defence is pretty good. He is certainly very brave, but because of his size can get mown down by a much bigger guy.

I think that it's a nailed on certainty that he will return to the halves in a few years (hopefully with Wigan). His passing is the equal of anyone's, he has the quickest hands in the England team and his kicking has improved no end too.

Him
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member14970No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2021Nov 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2244_1299706258.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_2244.jpg

Quote: Aboveusonlypie "I think Michael Maguire would agree with you. He was moved to make the most of his running abilities not really to hide from defensive frailties, which have been over stated in my view. His defence is pretty good. He is certainly very brave, but because of his size can get mown down by a much bigger guy.

I think that it's a nailed on certainty that he will return to the halves in a few years (hopefully with Wigan). His passing is the equal of anyone's, he has the quickest hands in the England team and his kicking has improved no end too.'"

I agree with that. It also depends what you want from your halves and fullback and who you have in those positions. For instance if I had Chase as 1 halfback I wouldn't necessarily want Tomkins as the other, I'd want more of an organiser and a kicker alongside him. But if you've got, as we have now, Smith or Widdop as half back then I'd be happy with more of a runner alongside him.

263 posts in 19 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
263 posts in 19 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.0947265625:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Round 27 HKR Away
Swoggy Loine
3m
Film game
Boss Hog
3m