May 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2074_1714824298.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_2074.jpg

I went to the Wire game with my 9 year old son - it was my first experience of the new Southstand, and my son's first time watching Leeds/RL live. Miraculously we enjoyed the experience despite the Leeds performance. Only just got my voice back - not used to shouting that much anymore! The new stand/ground is great (view, comfort, facilities etc), but the Southstand seemed a lot quieter than I remember...

Anyway, the game. My first reaction was that it was clearly our worst performance of the season, and we're slipping further into the inconsistency of last season. It was the first time that our defence looked shot, and that's a major concern IMO. Williams played too fast and quite a few of our players couldn't live with it.

Then I watched the game back on Sky, and I agree with Jim that we need to put the game into some perspective. I don't think we were out of it at all until the last 15 minutes. Quite a few calls from the referee that looked dodgy in the Southstand were probably right or just bad luck (Newman's 'high' shot aside). We can't blame it on losing Holroyd and Handley, but these things didn't help, of course.

The good

Was there any? Frawley's kicking is getting better (two kicks directly resulting in the first try). Momirovski is slowly playing himself into form, and he'll get a few tries this season. The double movement decision was probably right but it was still close - he scores that and we're in a different game. Generally we look better with kick options when we do get close to the opposition line. We actually retrieved the ball from two short kick-offs - not that I like this tactic.

The bad

It may not be panic stations yet, but tactically we need to adjust a lot more. It seemed like the referee was making Leeds stand a very long 10m from Warrington at times, while allowing them a very skinny 10m defending us. We need an experienced forward leading the defensive line - maybe this is something Bentley can add that McDonnell doesn't do. Oledski had a couple of nice charges but he's not the pack leader we need. We need to show more intent in defence and taking the ball forward. My patience with the passive defence is wearing thin now, but I don't think it was the main reason we lost.

The ugly

IMO we lost because of the high number of unforced errors we are making with ball in hand, and soft defensive reads, especially close to the ruck defending our line. In this regard, the coach can help by instilling more practise drills but ultimately the players are to blame here for not executing. Lisone was particularly poor in both departments on Friday. I take the point that if we front load energy into being less passive, then we put Wire under pressure and not ourselves (there were moments in the game we did this, but not enough). We have to stop trying to score off every set - again, having a few more experienced heads out there would help. I'm still not sure Cam Smith has the gravitas/respect of a Sinfield or Peacock to inspire the players around him... He'll get there though.

I notice some posters have pointed out that the Golden Generation rarely made so many mistakes. We have to be wary of nostalgia muddying our memories. Let's not forget the GFs won from 5th and 6th place were on the back of some very mediocre league performances, and even the likes of McGuire (flat track bully), Burrow (not a 9), Sinfield (too slow, not big enough), JJB (penalty machine), Webb (forward passes) etc were routinely criticised on these boards for being past it.

RankPostsTeam
First Team Player2844No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 20204 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
78089_1686152387.png
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_78089.png

Quote: Exeter Rhino "

I notice some posters have pointed out that the Golden Generation rarely made so many mistakes. We have to be wary of nostalgia muddying our memories. Let's not forget the GFs won from 5th and 6th place were on the back of some very mediocre league performances, and even the likes of McGuire (flat track bully), Burrow (not a 9), Sinfield (too slow, not big enough), JJB (penalty machine), Webb (forward passes) etc were routinely criticised on these boards for being past it.'"

Don't forget 'you can stick a fork in Peacock' from around 2011.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain4719
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 20186 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
77264_1540382825.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_77264.jpg

Quote: Exeter Rhino "I went to the Wire game with my 9 year old son - it was my first experience of the new Southstand, and my son's first time watching Leeds/RL live. Miraculously we enjoyed the experience despite the Leeds performance. Only just got my voice back - not used to shouting that much anymore! The new stand/ground is great (view, comfort, facilities etc), but the Southstand seemed a lot quieter than I remember...

Anyway, the game. My first reaction was that it was clearly our worst performance of the season, and we're slipping further into the inconsistency of last season. It was the first time that our defence looked shot, and that's a major concern IMO. Williams played too fast and quite a few of our players couldn't live with it.

Then I watched the game back on Sky, and I agree with Jim that we need to put the game into some perspective. I don't think we were out of it at all until the last 15 minutes. Quite a few calls from the referee that looked dodgy in the Southstand were probably right or just bad luck (Newman's 'high' shot aside). We can't blame it on losing Holroyd and Handley, but these things didn't help, of course.

The good

Was there any? Frawley's kicking is getting better (two kicks directly resulting in the first try). Momirovski is slowly playing himself into form, and he'll get a few tries this season. The double movement decision was probably right but it was still close - he scores that and we're in a different game. Generally we look better with kick options when we do get close to the opposition line. We actually retrieved the ball from two short kick-offs - not that I like this tactic.

The bad

It may not be panic stations yet, but tactically we need to adjust a lot more. It seemed like the referee was making Leeds stand a very long 10m from Warrington at times, while allowing them a very skinny 10m defending us. We need an experienced forward leading the defensive line - maybe this is something Bentley can add that McDonnell doesn't do. Oledski had a couple of nice charges but he's not the pack leader we need. We need to show more intent in defence and taking the ball forward. My patience with the passive defence is wearing thin now, but I don't think it was the main reason we lost.

The ugly

IMO we lost because of the high number of unforced errors we are making with ball in hand, and soft defensive reads, especially close to the ruck defending our line. In this regard, the coach can help by instilling more practise drills but ultimately the players are to blame here for not executing. Lisone was particularly poor in both departments on Friday. I take the point that if we front load energy into being less passive, then we put Wire under pressure and not ourselves (there were moments in the game we did this, but not enough). We have to stop trying to score off every set - again, having a few more experienced heads out there would help. I'm still not sure Cam Smith has the gravitas/respect of a Sinfield or Peacock to inspire the players around him... He'll get there though.

I notice some posters have pointed out that the Golden Generation rarely made so many mistakes. We have to be wary of nostalgia muddying our memories. Let's not forget the GFs won from 5th and 6th place were on the back of some very mediocre league performances, and even the likes of McGuire (flat track bully), Burrow (not a 9), Sinfield (too slow, not big enough), JJB (penalty machine), Webb (forward passes) etc were routinely criticised on these boards for being past it.'"

Great post - the only thing I'd quiz is comments re. Bentley v McDonnell. McDonnell was doing a ton of work in D, including on their big men. Bentley is great at filling gaps and getting up and at people, but he doesn't dominate physically like McDonnell can. He also regularly gives penalties and errors away. I know McDonnell dropped the ball once in contact too (Wire were stripping at the ball quite a bit with some success).

Phenomenal tackle to deny Handley another worldy try I thought, and Williams was great. They are a decent side Wire on that evidence.

RankPostsTeam
Academy Player870No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 20222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Think it’s pretty much all been said about Friday, but too to the woe and doubt I’ll throw a couple of thoughts in

Cam smith was pedestrian and does not look like a captain to me. He has has developed a lazy habit of staying in the opposition line for 3 tackles after they kick to us, he needs to set an example

We must lose a player to HIA every 3/4 games, we did again. given that picking McCormack and Edgell as 18th man is very strange. If a forward had broken down in the warm up or been taken ill we would have had McCormack and Alfie on the bench , which is madness

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain4719
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 20186 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
77264_1540382825.jpg

We'll probably get the Hudds game thread later but would anyone change selection for that game? Looks like Handley out, Fus and Sangare in? Not sure when Bentley will be fit again.

Again, given the importance of this game and it being at home, this is about as first choice a side as we could hope for at this stage in the season.

Miller, Fus, Newman, Martin, Momirovski, Croft, Frawley, Mik, Ackers, Sangare, McDonnell, Goudemand, Smith; Lisone, Holroyd, O'Connor, McCormack.

RankPostsTeam
Academy Player629No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 20232 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Don't see what the hype is about McDonnell he doesn't get in any of the top 4/5 teams for me just ok no more.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2223
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 20159 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
74125_1470762689.jpg
"Blasphemy is a victimless crime":d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_74125.jpg

He's a hard worker and runs good lines. Has the ability to tackle players onto their back to slow ptb ( legally).

RankPostsTeam
International Star20No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 201311 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: RAPIDO "Don't see what the hype is about McDonnell he doesn't get in any of the top 4/5 teams for me just ok no more.'"

I am also equally underwhelmed by McDonnell. I think someone posted stats of 4 drives for 23 metres against Warrington which is shocking.

Is it him choosing to not be involved, or is he being advised / coached not to do the hard yards?

Bizarrely it seems the backs have to do most of the dirty work these days (as well as score long range tries), and the forwards don't seem to do much more than tackle (passively).

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member7373
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2074_1714824298.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_2074.jpg

McDonnell is good but his game needs to go up another notch for a club with our ambitions. He's not the only one mind - the same is true of the likes of Cam Smith, Oledski, Holroyd, O'Connor etc.

A player like Handley has improved significantly this season - others need to do so too, and impose themselves on games more often for longer periods. All are young enough to do this, if the desire is there.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain4719
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 20186 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
77264_1540382825.jpg

Made no secret that I really rate McDonnell, and he has his best years ahead of him. For me he's the grafter, and I think he is physically bigger and more technically sound than Bentley in that role; although Bentley is probably more mobile and fills gaps in very well. Like a few other players, he would benefit from us signing one or two other really high quality forwards to distribute the load.

One of RS's better signings IMO.

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman17138No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
755_1290430740.jpg
“At last, a real, Tory budget,” Daily Mail 24/9/22 "It may be that the honourable gentleman doesn't like mixing with his own side … but we on this side have a more convivial, fraternal spirit." Jacob Rees-Mogg 21/10/21 A member of the Guardian-reading, tofu-eating wokerati.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_755.jpg

Quote: Exeter Rhino "
A player like Handley has improved significantly this season - others need to do so too, and impose themselves on games more often for longer periods. All are young enough to do this, if the desire is there.'"

There was a fabulous interview with Handley on Radio Leeds on Sunday. The work he is putting in mentally & physically is incredible. It's no wonder he has improved so much.

RankPostsTeam
Fringe Player86No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 20223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Yes it was excellent , a few others need to do the same !

RankPostsTeam
Fringe Player1221No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 20213 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

I don't think its individual players alone though, its the whole tactical setup which isn't working. Peter Smith, in his usual 'I don't want to upset the club/coach' way alluded to that today - including the short kick-off nonsense.

Some of what Rohan wants to see is laudable - open, free flowing games - but he needs to stop hoping that everyone else will come round to his view of the world and adapt to what actually happens on the pitch, where, rather unshockingly to anyone who has watched more than one game, possession and field position matter. That means not making errors, not gifting possession and field position through short kick offs and the like, and trying to play the game at the right end of the field through defence and a good kicking game. Ask Wayne Bennett, Craig Bellamy or any other coach, and that would be where they'd start.

Rohan developed this style on the run in 2022 and it was remarkably successful as it was different and other teams couldn't quite work it out. But as we saw last year, giving away field position encourages even the worst teams to think they have a chance, and practically invites better ones to give you a thumping. Its been worked out, and now is a weakness rather than a strength.

If its not a deliberate tactic that's just as big an indictment on Smith (or even bigger) because it means the players aren't doing what he wants them to. Either way I don't see him lasting beyond this year if he cannot or will not make changes. We saw last year how the season can really slip away if you don't keep picking up wins, as we kept waiting for the magical turnaround, but it never happened. We were 'competing', or 'in the contest', but consistently losing too many games. Reading the room (i.e. this forum and elsewhere) the fanbase has zero patience for a repeat of last season's damp squib of an effort.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain4719
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 20186 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
77264_1540382825.jpg

I just feel like you're all working yourself into a frenzy over "passive" defence - I think RS coaches for energy efficiency and trying to work the percentages at times, but something's going wrong in either the application of this, or the players' execution (i.e. errors).

Short kick-offs: favourite topic. So it does actually work to regain possession and position sometimes, and the win is significant when you pull it off. Statistically you take some losses turning the ball over on the opposition 40m rather than 20m. It's less far for your team to run up in D. It legitimately has some benefits. The problem has come where we have failed to defend the opposition coming up with the ball off the kick, or where we have overused the tactic/used it in the wrong situations. Whether this is coached or whether it's poor play selection by players none of us here really know. Miller attempting a 10m short kick-off from a drop-out when we're under pressure is crazy - I don't know what's going wrong there.

Last season we lost Leeming early to a spat dummy, we had Austin clearly causing problems throughout until it all came to a head, and MacDonald just disappeared (who does that?). We also had an epic injury list. I'm not saying RS got everything right either, but again there were legitimate reasons for poor results last season which were specific to last season. This forum is going to be pretty dire if we have about five threads running at the same time all year, each of which is ten blokes complaining about Rohan Smith.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain5860
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 20178 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
75810_1643888256.png
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_75810.png

Quote: Once were Loiners "I don't think its individual players alone though, its the whole tactical setup which isn't working. Peter Smith, in his usual 'I don't want to upset the club/coach' way alluded to that today - including the short kick-off nonsense.

Some of what Rohan wants to see is laudable - open, free flowing games - but he needs to stop hoping that everyone else will come round to his view of the world and adapt to what actually happens on the pitch, where, rather unshockingly to anyone who has watched more than one game, possession and field position matter. That means not making errors, not gifting possession and field position through short kick offs and the like, and trying to play the game at the right end of the field through defence and a good kicking game. Ask Wayne Bennett, Craig Bellamy or any other coach, and that would be where they'd start.

Rohan developed this style on the run in 2022 and it was remarkably successful as it was different and other teams couldn't quite work it out. But as we saw last year, giving away field position encourages even the worst teams to think they have a chance, and practically invites better ones to give you a thumping. Its been worked out, and now is a weakness rather than a strength.

If its not a deliberate tactic that's just as big an indictment on Smith (or even bigger) because it means the players aren't doing what he wants them to. Either way I don't see him lasting beyond this year if he cannot or will not make changes. We saw last year how the season can really slip away if you don't keep picking up wins, as we kept waiting for the magical turnaround, but it never happened. We were 'competing', or 'in the contest', but consistently losing too many games. Reading the room (i.e. this forum and elsewhere) the fanbase has zero patience for a repeat of last season's damp squib of an effort.'"

Spot on.

263 posts in 19 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
263 posts in 19 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

2.998046875:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Ground Improvements
Khlav Kalash
14m
DoR - New Coach - Investor & Adam - New signings
UllFC
18m
Transfer Talk / Rumour thread V4
christopher
59m
Swinton A
Highlander
Recent
We are in good hands
PopTart
Recent
Shopping list for 2025
Irregs#16
Recent
Josh Rourke
PopTart
Recent
Film game
Boss Hog
Recent
BORED The Band Name Game
Boss Hog
Recent
Season 2024
hatty
FORUM
LAST
VIEW
TOPIC
POSTER
Cooper Retiring with Immediate Effect
Moe syslak
1m
Shopping list for 2025
Irregs#16
1m
Squad for Saints
just_browny
1m
BORED The Band Name Game
Boss Hog
1m
We are in good hands
PopTart
1m
orangeman
1m
Squads - Devils v Leopards
Binosh
2m
Matt Moylan
Binosh
2m
TV Games - Not Hull
The games af
2m
Doncaster home
Butcher
FORUM
NEW
TOPICS
TOPIC
POSTER
We are in good hands
PopTart
TODAY
Josh Charnley
Vancouver Le
TODAY
Leigh Leopards Make Play Off Progress In Eliminating Salford
RLFANS News
TODAY
superleague plus
karetaker
TODAY
New Owners
orangeman
TODAY
Josh Rourke
PopTart
TODAY
2025 Membership prices
WYSIWYG2
TODAY
Doncaster home
Butcher
TODAY
Mike Cooper
Wires71
TODAY
Cooper Retiring with Immediate Effect
Moe syslak
TODAY
Matt Moylan
Binosh
TODAY
Swinton A
Highlander
TODAY
Play Off Question
Cherry_Warri
TODAY
Whitehaven Away
faxcar
TODAY
Squad for Saints
just_browny
TODAY
Stewart Piper
Tatty Feeld
TODAY
Wigan win academy final
MattyB
TODAY
Nine players to leave
Kettykat
TODAY
Junior
MattyB
TODAY
Club merchandise
satanicmills
TODAY
Squads - Devils v Leopards
Binosh
TODAY
Ground Improvements
Khlav Kalash
TODAY
Vagana confirmed as fed trained
Kettykat
TODAY
Player of the Season public vote
NickyKiss
TODAY
Ashurst to depart
Redscat
TODAY
2025 Season
Marcus's Bic
NEWS ITEMS
VIEWS
Leigh Leopards Make Play Off P..
Catalans Dragons Finish Sevent..
Hull KR Secure Second With Vic..
Wigan Seal League Leaders Trop..
Wakefield Trinity Sweep Aside ..
Catalans Keep Season Alive Wit..
Salford Ensure Play-Offs And S..
Ruthless Wigan Thrash the Rhin..
Huddersfield Giants Hold Off L..
Salford Close In On The Play O..
Leigh Leopards Up To Fourth Af..
Leeds Rhinos Into the Six Afte..
Wigan Warriors Defeat Hull KR ..
Wane Names Provisional Squad f..
Leeds Rhinos Ride Their Luck F..
POSTSONLINEREGISTRATIONSRECORD
19.63M 3,942 80,12614,103
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.

When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
RLFANS Match Centre
 TODAY
     National Rugby League 2024-R30
10:50
Penrith
v
Cronulla
       Championship 2024-R28
17:00
Toulouse
v
Batley
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R28
Warrington
v
St.Helens
 TOMORROW
       Championship 2024-R28
15:00
Barrow
v
Widnes
Bradford
v
Swinton
Dewsbury
v
Sheffield
Wakefield
v
Doncaster
Whitehaven
v
Halifax
York
v
Featherstone
 Sun 6th Oct
     Womens Super League 2024-R16
16:30
York V
v
St.HelensW
 Sun 27th Oct
     Mens Internationals 2024-R2
14:30
England M
v
Samoa M
 Sat 2nd Nov 2024
     Womens Internationals 2024-R2
12:00
ENGLAND W
v
WALES W
     Mens Internationals 2024-R3
England M
v
Samoa M
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)
Matches on TV
Sat 28th Sep
SL
Warrington-St.Helens
Sun 6th Oct
WSL2024
16:30
York V-St.HelensW
Sun 27th Oct
MINT2024
England M-Samoa M
Sat 2nd Nov
MINT2024
England M-Samoa M
Fri 27th Sep
SL 28 Salford6-14Leigh
NRL 30 Melbourne48-18Sydney
Sun 22nd Sep
CH 27 Batley28-14Swinton
CH 27 Halifax14-10Bradford
CH 27 Swinton20-22Doncaster
L1 24 Hunslet18-14Midlands
L1 24 Keighley26-22Rochdale
WSL2024 15 LeedsW10-12York V
WSL2024 15 St.HelensW18-4WiganW
Sat 21st Sep
SL 27 Hull FC4-24Catalans
CH 27 Featherstone50-12Dewsbury
CH 27 Widnes12-18Toulouse
CH 27 Wakefield46-0Barrow
NRL 29 Sydney40-16Manly
Fri 20th Sep
SL 27 Hull KR26-16Leeds
SL 27 Leigh18-12St.Helens
SL 27 Warrington54-0LondonB
CH 27 Sheffield24-26York
NRL 29 Cronulla26-18NQL Cowboys
Thu 19th Sep
SL 27 Huddersfield34-10Castleford
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Mens Betfred Super League XXVIII ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wigan 27 721 336 385 44
Hull KR 27 719 327 392 42
Warrington 27 738 319 419 40
Leigh 28 580 404 176 33
Salford 28 556 561 -5 32
St.Helens 27 596 388 208 30

Catalans 27 475 427 48 30
Leeds 27 530 488 42 28
Huddersfield 27 468 658 -190 20
Castleford 27 425 735 -310 15
Hull FC 27 328 894 -566 6
LondonB 27 317 916 -599 6
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Betfred Championship 2024 ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wakefield 25 938 256 682 48
Toulouse 24 680 352 328 33
Bradford 25 628 387 241 32
York 26 639 463 176 28
Featherstone 25 616 484 132 28
Sheffield 25 618 498 120 28

Widnes 25 525 451 74 27
Doncaster 25 492 547 -55 25
Batley 25 406 527 -121 22
Halifax 25 489 627 -138 22